Epic's new game..Fortnite....zombies and Minecraft clash

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

Re: Epic's new game..Fortnite....zombies and Minecraft clash

Post by Sepiche »

Does this play fairly well single player? It sounds up my alley, but I recall trying to get into the beta a while back, but they wouldn't let me use "Sepiche" as a username, so I got annoyed and forgot about it. :P
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote:Does this play fairly well single player? It sounds up my alley, but I recall trying to get into the beta a while back, but they wouldn't let me use "Sepiche" as a username, so I got annoyed and forgot about it. :P
It won't be easy beyond the tutorial stuff and you will hit a wall in the second area playing totally solo. I'm starting to run into trouble playing in a duo with my son with the level 23 stuff. We need to do a bit more grinding.

On the other hand, you can play with randoms for progression and for the most part they don't suck. Sometimes you will get someone with a different agenda that will make things harder, but in general everyone just does what needs doing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek on epic. I play solo as well. Just because my gaming time is sporadic
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OO => epic
Arkon => Arkon262
coopasonic => coopasonic
IceBear => IceBear13
morlac => Grimlag (my invite was never accepted and raydude said he got name not found)
naednek => naednek
raydude => raydudeprime
Last edited by coopasonic on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think I am IceBear1313. I'll have to double check when I'm near my PC

Edit: Nope, just IceBear13
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

In case anyone is interested, Roosterteeth did an Immersion episode for Fortnite:
http://www.roosterteeth.com/episode/imm ... -fortnight
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... Epic Games are suing two Fortnite Battle Royale cheaters

Epic Games are suing two of Fortnite Battle Royale’s most prolific cheaters. Complaints filed with a North Carolina federal court accuse the two players of violating Epic’s copyrights and End User License Agreement.

Last week, the company wrote about the issues that cheaters were causing the game, saying they had already banned thousands of accounts, and that they were “exploring every measure to ensure these cheaters are removed and stay removed” from the game.

Epic clearly weren’t messing around, and the two lawsuits they’ve filed accuse the two alleged cheaters - whose names on the lawsuits are Mr Broom and Mr Vraspir - of infringing on the game’s copyright by changing the game’s code. That infringement also means that the players - one of whom has been banned from the game nine times - is in breach of the game’s terms of service.

Both defendants are linked to a cheat provider, working as moderators and support staff on a site that helps players access cheats. They both face charges of $150,000 in statutory damages if they lose the case. If you’re up to date with your legal jargon, here are copies of the full complaints filed against Vraspir and Broom.
legal jargon left unlinked .. <*shrug*>
Ain't nobody got time for that
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Arise thread...

So I picked this up the other night. Have to say I have very little interest in Battle Royale after trying it out. I placed 15th in my first try, and really expected some kind of match recap/stats/something when finished. And there was really nothing intriguing there. And since I generally am not a fan of PVP, and getting destroyed by people who spend WAY more time than I do at these things, I don't see myself spending much effort here.

That said, I'm enjoying the PVE co-op thing much, much more than I thought I would. Tons of doo-dad, progression/unlock systems. The quests are fun. I enjoying exploring and crafting and upgrading and all of that. Though, to be fair, I'm in the early stages still. And most of my matches have been with good players helping. It was such a stark contrast when I played a round with... poor... players. Stairs everywhere. Zombies breaking through. Just general chaos. Makes you value when your teammates have any basic sense about the game. But yeah - much more fun than I thought it'd be.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just installed this and tried the PvE. Very fun, but I am so, so bad at these kinds of games.

Edit: Apparently my 13YO girl had already played at friend's house and since it's the IN thing these days with the yutes, she knows all about it. Freaked out when she saw me playing it.

My youngest, 7 (almost 8), of course loved it since he loves all things video. Unfortunately, I think the violence is not appropriate for his age (playing the battle royale, no idea if the base builder game is less violent?), so I said he would have to wait. You should have seen the look in his eyes...he's a great kid (and super sensitive)...would not let me see how much it hurt him, so he walked away saying "I understand" after I explained WHY it was not appropriate for him. :(

Thankfully, Plants vs. Zombies 2 has great reviews, is something that he already knew about and excited about, so I sprang that on him to make up for my goof. I'm usually not such a softie (normally, I would have said something to the effect of "them's the breaks, kid, sorry!" and let it be, but the eyes just killed me this time. I had let him sip from the cup of Fortnite, then batted it away just as he had gotten the sweet, sweet taste in his mouth and was about to drink. :D
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Side note to above, separate issue: any of you let your under 10 kids play this? Just curious what others think about the violence in it?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Thankfully my 9 year old is scared of zombies. She wants to play but the PVE mode is right out, so she's more interested in the dance moves.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 am Side note to above, separate issue: any of you let your under 10 kids play this? Just curious what others think about the violence in it?
Been wondering that myself. Seen a number of videos/articles complaining about kids that are around Little B 9.6's age who are spending hours a day playing this.

I haven't looked into it much (zero interest in the whole Battle Royale genre), but always assumed Fortnite was a standard FPS, with all the violence that entails. Watching some trailers, and it doesn't look to be particularly appropriate for that age...or maybe I'm just being overly sensitive.

She hasn't bugged me about playing it, so I'll just have her stick with Splatoon 2 for now, I think.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:24 am Side note to above, separate issue: any of you let your under 10 kids play this? Just curious what others think about the violence in it?
My son plays it. Wife doesn't like it, but I see it as a cartoon game. Yes there's guns. There's no blood. You've seen the same level of "violence" in bugs bunny cartoons.

With that said Ethan has behaviour issues. Psychiatrist was quick to blame video games. I told her that's a bunch of crock (in nicer terms). He has control issues, meaning he wants to control others and gets super upset when things don't happen his way. They could be play roblox or minecraft or not even playing a video game and still have these control issues. She kept trying to pin it on video games even after I told her many of the games he plays are co-op, non-competitive, non violent so her argument does hold for me. Yes his behaviour peaks when he's playing, but it's not the media, it's how he a hard time letting people do things their way instead of his. That behaviour is present outside of games as well.

Anyways, we limit Fortnite to once a weekend if he's earned it.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

naednek wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:14 am
My son plays it. Wife doesn't like it, but I see it as a cartoon game. Yes there's guns. There's no blood. You've seen the same level of "violence" in bugs bunny cartoons.
I dunno - passively watching Bugs Bunny violence vs actively participating in a game in which you hunt down and shoot others is a pretty big difference.

While trying to decide if I should let the youngest play it, I spoke with him about the difference between reality and games, and violence. But then I thought later, if the premise is that children at this age simply don't have the mental development to clearly differentiate between the two, then explaining it to him won't matter. I erred on the side of caution in this case, and just went with gut instinct. How old is your son?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i played with a squad of fifth graders tonight. that was weird, but they were very nice.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Arise again!

I am very late to the party and downloaded Fornite on my Xbox this weekend. I played Battle Royale and had quite a bit of fun. I'm really not sure what I'm doing - where is the best place I can read up on how to play? Is there any sandbox mode so I can practice improving weapons, building houses, etc?

I also noticed a thing called Battle Pass that looks like it's just for skins. Does it let you do anything else?

This thread is mostly about a Zombie mode - how do I get to those type of things? The launch screen is very busy and trying to figure out what I can do and what is free is very confusing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:27 pm Arise again!

I am very late to the party and downloaded Fornite on my Xbox this weekend. I played Battle Royale and had quite a bit of fun. I'm really not sure what I'm doing - where is the best place I can read up on how to play? Is there any sandbox mode so I can practice improving weapons, building houses, etc?

I also noticed a thing called Battle Pass that looks like it's just for skins. Does it let you do anything else?

This thread is mostly about a Zombie mode - how do I get to those type of things? The launch screen is very busy and trying to figure out what I can do and what is free is very confusing.
I think the Zombie mode is "Save The World". I've personally never played it.

For Battle Royale, I have no real tips for you on how to build. I don't do much of it, and I do feel like it's easier to do on a keyboard for PC players than for us console types. I just run around doing quests and shooting people. I've won quite a few matches without feeling the need to build. Sometimes it does help to glide to places that are away from the battle bus's route, and avoid the town areas on the map if you don't want to run into people right away.

The Battle Pass is all cosmetic. There are no in game boosts to be found by buying the Battle Pass. The current season ends in a few days, so don't waste money on buying it right now if you do plan to buy it.

Not sure if there is a sandbox mode.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:55 pm Not sure if there is a sandbox mode.
There is a PVE sandbox. No idea how to get there on consoles though. I've only played on PC and I think it was a separate install on Epic.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So the co-op PvE sandbox mode is the Zombie stuff called "Save the World". That's largely in maintenance mode. I enjoy it as there's always treadmill rewards popping after every mission. But it's sometimes tough to find people to fill out your party for the various missions. It's an actual purchase too. I forget the amount, sorry.

The Battle Royale is the much more famous/infamous free-to-play mode. Yes, the battle pass is cosmetics: skins, emotes, backpacks, mining picks, gliders. All the cosmetics. I'm awful at building, but I have grown to enjoy the game in general (and I hate PvP). I like the quests and cosmetics.

There are a TON of free scenarios/practice maps/modes that used to be found under the "Creative" tab. Now they're all in a new menu screen you can find by trying to "Change" the game mode. (There may still be a Creative tab too). I don't use these much, but there is a LARGE variety of types of unofficial/non-sanctioned games.

I've found that that running a solo Battle Royale round, and landing far away from the popular spots and bus track will often give you a decent amount of time to experiment (and for me - do quests). Maybe this will satisfy your desire to practice some? That or the creative modes....

My son and I played a TON of this over the last year... he has kind of moved on to Apex Legends. I still have fun with this one.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Baroquen wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:48 pm I've found that that running a solo Battle Royale round, and landing far away from the popular spots and bus track will often give you a decent amount of time to experiment (and for me - do quests). Maybe this will satisfy your desire to practice some?
Whenever I play with a friend, he almost always wants to land at the gas station to the SE of the Slurpy Swamp. Hardly anyone lands there, and you can start gathering weapons from there and the toilet factory before heading to the swamp. Usually half or more of the players in the round are eliminated by the time you actually start progressing further into the island.

Me, I'll land in lots of different places, but some of them are quest dependent, and other are just to mix things up.
Hodor.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:49 am Me, I'll land in lots of different places, but some of them are quest dependent, and other are just to mix things up.
Yeah, my son like to land at Lazy Lake or Pleasant Park and get into firefights immediately. I vary things up for quests, or just to start out of the way and settled first. When I play solo, my matchmaking pits me against a lot of bots and mediocre players. It's fun. When I play with my son, he's a little "sweat" and matchmaking sets us against these ace players, building structures instantaneously and shooting me in mid-air. That's not nearly as fun. (Though we did manage a Victory Royale this afternoon... that was nice).