Middle Earth: Shadow of War

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Post by Max Peck »

Yup, the first (tutorial) fortress certainly doesn't present a representative overlord experience. :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Went back and beat that damn overlord a bit more carefully this time, starting with dominating the archers up high.

Then took out my third fortress which apparently should have been my second, it was a cakewalk in a region where I had apparently already done some damage. I'm working on the my fourth fortress now. This one could be a bit tougher. I've died a couple times in this region. The overlord is a legendary 40 and his warchiefs all seem to be 36-38 and I am only 32. I hate having to kill these guys. I'd rather have them on my team!

I had a mission where one enemy captain was attacking another's checkpoint. I set two of my captains to ambush and then joined myself. Apparently one of my captains was blood-brother to one of the enemy captains and he betrayed me. Things went sideways quickly though I didn't die in that one. I can't keep track of all of these relationships.

I also shamed a legendary to drop his level so I could turn him, but he went on a ghul hunt mission... he had the insta-killed by beasts trait... I guess he wouldn't have been much use anyway.

The one complaint I have about the game so far is that having so many regions each with their own army makes it hard to get to know your foe. There are just too many captains to keep track of. On the other hand, there is never a lack of work to do. I finally figured out what all the money was for... siege defense upgrades are expensive.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Loved the first game and was looking forward to playing this one, too. But then I started reading user reviews, and it seems people are up in arms that the end game is dominated by microtransaction loot boxes, essentially a paywall. They're reporting that the end becomes an interminable grind if you don't pay to get access to shortcuts. Any truth to this?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

We'll let you know when we get there. i haven't really read any reviews so I don't know what drives the grind.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

What are the siege defense upgrades for? Are your fortresses ever attacked? Do you lose them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scoop20906 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:19 pm What are the siege defense upgrades for? Are your fortresses ever attacked? Do you lose them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, apparently later your fortresses will be attacked. I haven't gotten there yet. I'll be putting in a lot of time this weekend so I will probably know a lot more on Monday. Well if I actually progress story-wise rather than just killing orcs over and over again, anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:59 pm Loved the first game and was looking forward to playing this one, too. But then I started reading user reviews, and it seems people are up in arms that the end game is dominated by microtransaction loot boxes, essentially a paywall. They're reporting that the end becomes an interminable grind if you don't pay to get access to shortcuts. Any truth to this?
I have no idea about the end game, but for the regular game, the loot boxes can be ignored. From what I can see, they don't have anything in them that you can't get from just playing. And it's a single player game, so it isn't like you need to compete with whales that have cash to burn.

Of course, I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't believe that running around massacring orcs is a "grind" though. I already know from Shadows of Mordor that it never gets old. :)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I have heard that too but one of the RPS reviews said that he had enough money that he didn't need to buy loot boxes. He did say that he hated the slog that the 4th act became that he often just gave up defending his fortresses from attack. He also made it sound like the 3rd act's ending was a soft ending so I might only seriously play up to the end of the 3rd and only play the 4th when I am in the mood....because like Max I am also one of those weirdos that just likes running around and killing orcs
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If you really want loot boxes, just do the online vendetta and conquest missions. I've got more boxes from those than I know what to do with.

Also, if you want a little taste of the whale life, there's a challenge to kill a warlord that pays off 500 gold.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just finished the 3rd act and yeah, you could call that an ending... I am at the first assault in Act IV. I am going to need some stronger captains...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:59 pm Loved the first game and was looking forward to playing this one, too. But then I started reading user reviews, and it seems people are up in arms that the end game is dominated by microtransaction loot boxes, essentially a paywall. They're reporting that the end becomes an interminable grind if you don't pay to get access to shortcuts. Any truth to this?
OK, I made it to Act IV Saturday which is where the grind comes to life. It looks like it is fortress defense after fortress defense. I have done 5 of them in Act IV so far. Based on the percent completion it looks like there will be 5-6 more. I am not sure yet why you would go to the loot boxes. I guess for higher level captains. Halfway through and I am level 48 and the highest enemy captains I am seeing in defense are low-mid 50s. They are totally manageable. In the last defense I did, they never even got into my fortress.

Spoilering some fortress defense details in case anyone wants to be surprised.
Spoiler:
The enemy captains come in waves, first 1 then 2 then 3. If you lose a victory point, a wall comes down and another enemy captain joins the assault. There are also lower level enemy captains that aren't really mission objectives. I will dominate as many captains as possible during the assault to bolster my defense.
As long as you like dominating captains and managing your army, the grind doesn't seem that bad.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:19 pm I just finished the 3rd act and yeah, you could call that an ending...
I finished Act 3 last night. Ridiculous but entertaining.
alexmercer

Post by alexmercer »

I can't wait to get this on PC :horse: . I downloaded the Android game for the thrill but isn't that good

~100 GB, rip ISP
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I managed to lose a fortress defense last night which really took the wind out of my sails and I called it quits for a while.

On the plus side, when I got back to it and retook the captured fortress I gained two levels. Hey there level 50!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Does anyone know how long "Act 4" is supposed to last? Fortress sieges/defenses are starting to feel repetitive -- a couple more of them would still be fun, but beyond that I think it'll be more like work.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

AWS260 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 am Does anyone know how long "Act 4" is supposed to last? Fortress sieges/defenses are starting to feel repetitive -- a couple more of them would still be fun, but beyond that I think it'll be more like work.
There are 10 stages. The first 4 or so are 1 defense each, the next 3 are 2 defenses each, I am on stage 8 now and it has 3 defenses... too long. That's how long it is supposed to last.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Hmm. I think I'm out, then. Better to quit when I'm still having fun than when I'm burned out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was going to wait until next year but my wife got me this on sale...or rather gave me money for a game and I got this one. Trying to play it with KB/Mouse but man are there tons of buttons. It seems to use the entire keyboard. I changed a few keys that I recognized but when I did it showed I would lose like 10 other settings on that key. I think this is going to be a mess. Now Im changing keys as I need to. Not sure how to jump someone from high yet...I seem to jump randomly and land and role right in front of them.

I can walk and sneak up on orcs..bout it. SO many buttons. Im like a deer in headlights. Maybe I should have gotten something else. I dont think using a controller would work with all the keys.

Im just at the start. It want me to investigate a commanders trail and Im at the right spot but its not updating. Im thinking I need to inspect the spot but have no idea what key does that yet. Still trying all of them.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It was designed with a controller in mind (at least in my opinion) and I've played it with my XBox controller with no issues...didn't even remap anything
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I played the entire game with KB/M, so it's doable even with my mediocre skills. :)
Daehawk wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 pm Not sure how to jump someone from high yet...I seem to jump randomly and land and role right in front of them.
You need to be crouched in order to drop down on a target. Since the last patch, there appears to be a bug where the target highlighting often isn't updated properly, so you may not land on the target that you expect.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There are just SO MANY keys to use I cannot rebind them to my liking at all. One key does so many multiple things that changing one is a huge hassle that makes so many other binds not work.

Is this game playable with a controller? If so Ill give it a good try with it. otherwise Im not sure trying to play with a mouse / kb is worth it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:31 am Is this game playable with a controller?
The game is designed for a controller.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill give it a go then. Its a toss up wether I play this or try to play Batman Arkham Origins. Ive tried it 3 times and failed all 3 and I finished the other 3 with a lot of fun involved. Something must have changed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back here again. Ive installed it 4 times and tried to play 3 times. I just now reinstalled since after that last post I deleted it again. This is my third go and Im hoping 3rd times the charm. And right now Im feeling it may be. Im feeling good about it. And I think I have pinpointed my main problem with the game.....control. All the other tries I was forcing myself to stick with keyboard and mouse. And theres just SO much to control with this game.

This go Im using the 360 controller and sticking with it. Ive already got 2 moves down pat that I could not remember the key combo for before...stealth jump kills and on ground finishers. And even how to get a enemy attention while hidden. So already Im doing much better.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fuck it. Going to label it another stupidly lame game. It has promise but respawns are ruining it. Im in a small area wit h2 orc captains to kill. I kill 20 orcs plus one cap then an ambush happens and Im fighting 1 capt and then the ambush then another orc capt shows up and Im fighting 30 orcs. Would be find IF they stayed dead and if it didn't take 20 hits to kill one orc. I don't like dying and dont care for the way its handled. Going to delete it again. I hate it. F it. I hate everything right now. Not played anything in a week but some ESO and Im tired of it. Cant stand life or gaming . And the mechanics of this game or horrible. I get a few magic arrows and then need to collect more. But if Im surrounded and being chased and want to shoot the explosive keg it wont let me because theres orcs after me..oh my ...SO STUPID>
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Got the console version last November during a black Friday sale, but had to clear out some of my PS4 backlog before I could get to it. Plus, I wanted to finish the first one before diving in.

Anyway, started it a couple of weeks ago and sunk around 30 hours or so into it (a lot of just fighting and going after captains and warchiefs). Last night I fought for and won my first fortress. I was a little surprised because I thought that was it. I couldn't fast travel anywhere, and the game wasn't exactly forthcoming about any future quests leading back to the main story. But that was okay because I thought I had gotten my money's worth out of it.

...then I did the Pit Fighter quest and realized I had 3 more regions to visit. :shock:

I really should have read up on the game a bit. But still, I'm lovin' it so far.
Covfefe!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It really is a fantastic game. I need to get back to it - I'm about the same place you are.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I think it's safe to say that I really enjoyed the game.

Enlarge Image

KDH

Post by KDH »

... :coffee: ... WB games announces FREE updates, and the removal of Microtransactions from Shadow-of-War
We want to thank all of the Middle-earth: Shadow of War players, as we’ve learned a lot from you. Since we released the game last fall, we’ve been listening to your feedback and continue to update and improve the experience. With that in mind, we’ll be releasing a series of free updates in the coming months to offer current fans and new players the best Shadow of War experience we possibly can.

The core promise of the Nemesis System is the ability to build relationships with your personal allies and enemies in a dynamic open world. While purchasing Orcs in the Market is more immediate and provides additional player options, we have come to realize that providing this choice risked undermining the heart of our game, the Nemesis System. It allows you to miss out on the awesome player stories you would have otherwise created, and it compromises those same stories even if you don’t buy anything. Simply being aware that they are available for purchase reduces the immersion in the world and takes away from the challenge of building your personal army and your fortresses. In order to fully restore the core promise of the Nemesis System, we’ll be permanently removing Gold, War Chests and the Market from Shadow of War. This means the option to purchase Gold with real-world money and the ability to gain Orc Followers from War Chests will be removed. There will be a specific amount of time given for players to utilize their unused Gold. If players have unused Gold by the end of the time allotted to spend it, any remaining Gold will be converted to in-game items.

Additionally, we’ll be updating the Shadow Wars section of the campaign, where players defend their fortresses against Sauron’s repeated counter-attacks. This portion of the game will be improved with new narrative elements and streamlined for a more cohesive experience. For players who choose to continue with these on-going fortress defense missions, the Endless Siege update released last November will still be available. We’ll also be incorporating many other gameplay improvements that will be detailed in future build notes, including Nemesis System updates, new player skins, skill tree additions, gear system upgrades and progression updates, just to name a few that we’re excited about.

Please note that the above updates are free for all Shadow of War owners. The ability to purchase Gold will permanently cease on May 8, 2018. The permanent removal of Gold, War Chests and the Market will take place on July 17, 2018, at the same time as all other updates discussed above.

The entire team here at Monolith appreciates our dedicated fans, and we feel that these improvements will provide all players with the very best Shadow of War gameplay experience. In the meantime, we’ll keep everyone informed throughout the process as we work through the details associated with these changes. We’ve also posted a FAQ as a reference to provide additional information.
Ain't nobody got time for that
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Patch 1.15 landed today, alongside the Desolation of Mordor story expansion. In addition to letting you play as Baranor, this also adds a new region to the main campaign.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I am just getting back into it. So I’m trying to level up my captains in a previously captured fortress because I heard I might be attacked soon. So far I’ve only captured two fortresses.

Any suggestions on the best way to harden my fortresses and what’s the smartest way to level up my current captains. Thanks.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Scoop20906 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:48 pm I am just getting back into it. So I’m trying to level up my captains in a previously captured fortress because I heard I might be attacked soon. So far I’ve only captured two fortresses.

Any suggestions on the best way to harden my fortresses and what’s the smartest way to level up my current captains. Thanks.
You increase the fortress defense by assigning captains as warchiefs (each of which can have bodyguards) and by purchasing siege upgrades.

My go-to method for leveling up captains is to make them fight in the pits. Either they survive and become stronger, or they perish and I dominate the pit fighter that killed them. It's win-win.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ugh. I just figured out I can’t level a captain up above my level. Now it makes more sense. DUHHHHHH

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

94 GB download?

I've_made_a_huge_mistake.gif
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Mistakes were made
- Ulysses S Grant
- Richard M Nixon
- Ronald Reagan
- William J Clinton

And probably others.

OTOH, I just learned today that this phrase is known as "classic Washington linguistic construct" even if I don't know what that means.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:01 pmOTOH, I just learned today that this phrase is known as "classic Washington linguistic construct" even if I don't know what that means.
It avoids placing blame; it's a perfect sentence for a politician to use as it doesn't admit fault or put someone on the defensive. It's magnificent.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had set it aside after hitting the end game drag and then finding out WB was releasing a big patch to add story elements to the last chapter, as well as streamline it. Looks like that came out in July. Guess it’s time to revisit Mordor.
Covfefe!
Jag

Post by Jag »

Having fun with the story. For $15 bucks it's well worth it. Not sure what all the complaining was about :roll:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just finished this a few minutes ago. I think I'm getting too old for reflex-based boss fights! I had a lot of fun with it, although it dragged at the end and I was ready for it to be over.

Now comes the question: I have both DLC. I was getting burned out on the base game by the end. Do I play the DLC?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:24 pm I just finished this a few minutes ago. I think I'm getting too old for reflex-based boss fights! I had a lot of fun with it, although it dragged at the end and I was ready for it to be over.

Now comes the question: I have both DLC. I was getting burned out on the base game by the end. Do I play the DLC?
If you are anything like me, and I think we have decided you aren't, it is now or never. I will (almost) never go back to a game to play DLC so the only chance it has is if I play it all at once. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure I bought the everything edition of Shadow of War and never touched the DLC. Actually I never technically finished the game because the end game was garbage. I hear they fixed that so maybe I should give it another look... ha... never gonna happen.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter