[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

jztemple2

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm Has anyone here actually read them? Just curious how good they are.

Edit: Also, ZOIKS! "Print Length: 3107 pages"
I've read all three, not the lectures, they are very good.

Today on Kindle, Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow for $2.99 USD. I read it in hardcover, it's very good.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just noticed a few random sales; no idea how long these prices will be valid

Acacia: The War with the Mein: The Acacia Trilogy, Book One by David Anthony Durham is $2.99:
In this sprawling and vividly imagined fantasy, historical novelist Durham (Pride of Carthage) chronicles the downfall and reinvention of the Akaran Dynasty, whose empire, called Acacia, was built on conquest, slaving and drug trade. The Acacian empire, encompassing "The Known World," is hated by its subjugated peoples, especially the Mein, who 22 generations earlier were exiled to the icy northland. Having sent an assassin to kill the Acacian king, Leodan, the rebel chieftain, Hanish Mein, declares war on the empire. As Acacia falls, Leodan's treasonous but conflicted chancellor, Thaddeus Clegg, spirits the king's four children to safety. When the Mein's rule proves even more tyrannical than the old, the former chancellor seeks to reunite the now adult Akaran heirs—the oldest son Aliver (once heir to the throne), the beautiful elder daughter Corinn, their younger sister, Mena, and youngest brother, Dariel—to lead a war to regain the empire. Durham has created a richly detailed alternate reality leavened with a dollop of magic and populated by complicated personalities grappling with issues of freedom and oppression.
The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene is also $2.99:
Take any of physics' major theories of the fundamental nature of the universe, extrapolate its math to the logical extreme, and you get some version of a (so far unobservable) parallel universe. And who better to navigate these hypothetical versions of the "multiverse" than Brian Greene? Normally an unflinching apologist for string theory, the bestselling author of The Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos here treats all viable alternate realities to a laudably fair shake. For a book exploring the most far-reaching implications of bleeding-edge mathematics, The Hidden Reality is surprisingly light on math, written as it is "for a broad audience … its only prerequisite the will to persevere." Such perseverance pays off with a motley cast of potential universes featuring doppelgängers, strings, branes, quantum probabilities, holographs, and simulated worlds. The result is that rare accomplishment in science writing for a popular audience: a volume that explains the science and its consequences while stimulating the imagination of even the uninitiated.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:41 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm Has anyone here actually read them? Just curious how good they are.

Edit: Also, ZOIKS! "Print Length: 3107 pages"
I've read all three, not the lectures, they are very good.

Today on Kindle, Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow for $2.99 USD. I read it in hardcover, it's very good.
Picked this up. Chernow's the guy famous for writing the Hamilton bio that inspired the musical. I haven't read that, but I've read the recent Grant biography by Chernow, which was amazing.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, I'm halfway through that Grant biography on Audible and it's fantastic. Sold on Washington.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I loved this series and read the cover off the first book. I haven't read the fourth book as it was published some time after the "trilogy" was complete. I'm looking forward to catching up with the characters.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Amazon has a second box set of Robert McCammon's "Monster" novels on sale for $2.99. STINGER, THE WOLF'S HOUR, and MINE. Grab it fast, the last one went off sale pretty quick! Link here

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As predicted, book 2 of the Magicans trilogy is randomly on sale for $1.99 but I don't know for how long. All three have now been on sale (at different times), so hopefully you're all caught up. I really liked the first book so I'm looking forward to reading the next two.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I never read it, but the Xenogenesis Trilogy by Octavia Butler is on sale for $2.51, a substantial 89% savings. It's being developed as a series for Netlfix (announced last year), but I'm not sure when it will actually arrive.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

It struck me recently that I don't read many woman authors (and I probably don't really read that many non-white authors, although I'm less obviously aware of this than gender). I also don't read a ton sci fi. I just grabbed this to try to rectify these situations.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

ImLawBoy wrote:It struck me recently that I don't read many woman authors (and I probably don't really read that many non-white authors, although I'm less obviously aware of this than gender).
I'm the same way, but it's more due to under-representation in the genres I read than a conscious choice. I guess it's on me to make the effort to seek them out, though.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I was reading an essay last week about "The Canon", and it was mostly an updating of the same type of piece that's been written in various formats and media since I was going to college about too much emphasis on certain types of books. Expand the canon to include more women, minority, etc., writers. It's a worthwhile discussion to have, and this article takes a really nice approach to it. It was really referring more to the high school canon, and it doesn't say to just completely ignore the dead white men. Rather, it says that many of the books in the canon are better experienced when you're older and have a little perspective. It argues to keep a lot of the classic stuff, but to put new stuff in there, too. It even includes a section on adding comics.

Anyway, out of all of that, one line kind of struck me:
I’m embarrassed by the number of grown white men I meet who only read other white men, and I believe that habit starts in high school.
I've got to say, that's me. I used to read a lot of Anne Rice (before she got too melodratic), and there's the occasional woman author now and again, but it's pretty sparse these days. Of the 13 books I've finished this year (plus the current one I'm reading), exactly zero of them were written by women. If I'm being honest with myself, I've avoided books by woman authors in the past because I was worried that something would be too treacly or something. I really do need to expand my horizons, because I think I'd benefit from reading from different perspectives.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:06 pm
ImLawBoy wrote:It struck me recently that I don't read many woman authors (and I probably don't really read that many non-white authors, although I'm less obviously aware of this than gender).
I'm the same way, but it's more due to under-representation in the genres I read than a conscious choice. I guess it's on me to make the effort to seek them out, though.
Well, I read pretty much only history and I pick out to read what I like based on subject matter. I only follow a few authors specifically and it matters little to me the gender or race. And I'm terrible at names anyway so I'd really have to look up which authors I've read lately.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It should be mandatory reading in school - The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan is $1.99 today.

Also, the first of the Fletch novels (from the 1970s) is on sale for $0.99 - not sure how long. I've never read any of them, but from what I understand they're a bit darker than the movie.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:33 am It should be mandatory reading in school - The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan is $1.99 today.
Purchased!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

YellowKing wrote:
I’ve been reading a lot of N.K. Jemisin recently. I think she classifies herself as an “Afro-futurist” but the books I’ve read fall more into the fantasy genre than sci-fi. In any case, I’ve enjoyed her books and would recommend her to anyone looking to diversify their reading.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'll second that. I read her Broken Earth series and while I didn't find them as earth shattering (no pun intended) as some people, I still thought they were very good and entertaining. My only complaint is that I wish the world had more depth. (I think The Wheel of Time spoiled that for me.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Seventh Sword complete series mentioned earlier in the week by Moatman is now on sale for $3.99 - no idea for how long, but this morning it was full price. I can't begin to understand how and when these sales occur.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks Smoove (and Moat_Man). No idea when I'll get around to it, but I'm always up for a new fantasy series.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Amazon First Reads for September and short stories of Chicago police:
Waiting for justice in Chicago

Here is the epic story of an American conflict zone: where the death toll for US citizens has climbed twice as high as in Afghanistan and where the staggering majority of homicides go unsolved. From the award-winning journalists at The Marshall Project, these are the true stories of real people fighting for justice in a city struggling to overcome a brutal legacy of violence and corruption.
5 short Kindle books with audio narration
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If for some reason you haven't read the First Law trilogy (and really, why haven't you?), the first book in the series is on sale today for $2.99:

The Blade Itself

True story - many years ago (8? 9?) Triggercut recommended this series and it was without question *the* book that got me back into reading regularly after my daughter was born. I still have paper copies of the entire series (because I was foolish back then), but now I own it all on Kindle. I think I've read the entire series at least 3 times; I enjoyed it tremendously.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Oh yeah, I trust Smoove's opinion on books, I'll check this out...

"You purchased this item on December 9, 2015."

Don't remember buying it, no idea if I ever d/l'd it. I've said it before, Kindle books are just like Steam games for me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I've purchased more Kindle books over the last year than I think I have in the prior 5. I'm absolutely at the point where I can't keep up as I can seemingly only read about 10-12 books a year now (which is sad). But that doesn't mean I'll stop hoarding electronic copies. :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:40 am Oh yeah, I trust Smoove's opinion on books, I'll check this out...

"You purchased this item on December 9, 2015."

Don't remember buying it, no idea if I ever d/l'd it. I've said it before, Kindle books are just like Steam games for me.
You purchased this item on June 17, 2016.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:52 am If for some reason you haven't read the First Law trilogy (and really, why haven't you?), the first book in the series is on sale today for $2.99:

The Blade Itself

True story - many years ago (8? 9?) Triggercut recommended this series and it was without question *the* book that got me back into reading regularly after my daughter was born. I still have paper copies of the entire series (because I was foolish back then), but now I own it all on Kindle. I think I've read the entire series at least 3 times; I enjoyed it tremendously.
I never understand the love for this series. I really think I must have missed something - maybe there were secret chapters or something. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:15 pmI never understand the love for this series. I really think I must have missed something - maybe there were secret chapters or something. :)
Well, first and foremost, it has a beginning, a middle and an ending. I know that sounds crazy, but after Martin and Jordan, it was a refreshing change of pace. :D

Second, I don't know how far you managed to get. Did you just read the first book? The trilogy? The two stand alone books that came after?

Regardless, I liked it because it took fantasy conventions and mixed them up. Not just the grimdark nature of the story, but overall how everything unfolds. He managed to use what I'd come to expect in a fantasy series against me, completely blindsided by the big reveal at the end. I never saw it coming and when it all came together, it was awesome. I liked the characters and their individual arcs. I dunno, but I get it. There are things people mention here that I just couldn't ever get into either.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I cannot recall seeing it on sale before, so I figured I should share Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver: The Baroque Cycle #1, on sale this month for $1.99 (I think).

I tried reading Cryptonomicon years ago, but found it to be unwieldy. My gut is telling me this will likely be the same, but man...$2 for a 960 page book I'll never have to carry?
In Quicksilver, the first volume of the "Baroque Cycle," Neal Stephenson launches his most ambitious work to date. The novel, divided into three books, opens in 1713 with the ageless Enoch Root seeking Daniel Waterhouse on the campus of what passes for MIT in eighteenth-century Massachusetts. Daniel, Enoch's message conveys, is key to resolving an explosive scientific battle of preeminence between Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz over the development of calculus. As Daniel returns to London aboard the Minerva, readers are catapulted back half a century to recall his years at Cambridge with young Isaac. Daniel is a perfect historical witness. Privy to Robert Hooke's early drawings of microscope images and with associates among the English nobility, religious radicals, and the Royal Society, he also befriends Samuel Pepys, risks a cup of coffee, and enjoys a lecture on Belgian waffles and cleavage-—all before the year 1700.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It is very unwieldy
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:I tried reading Cryptonomicon years ago, but found it to be unwieldy. My gut is telling me this will likely be the same, but man...$2 for a 960 page book I'll never have to carry?
I really enjoyed the series. Yes, it's unwieldy (it's Neal Stephenson, after all), but I loved all the history baked into it. In that respect I actually liked it a bit more than Cryptonomicon, even if getting through the entire series was a bit of a grind.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote:I was reading an essay last week about "The Canon", and it was mostly an updating of the same type of piece that's been written in various formats and media since I was going to college about too much emphasis on certain types of books. Expand the canon to include more women, minority, etc., writers. It's a worthwhile discussion to have, and this article takes a really nice approach to it. It was really referring more to the high school canon, and it doesn't say to just completely ignore the dead white men. Rather, it says that many of the books in the canon are better experienced when you're older and have a little perspective. It argues to keep a lot of the classic stuff, but to put new stuff in there, too. It even includes a section on adding comics.

Anyway, out of all of that, one line kind of struck me:
I’m embarrassed by the number of grown white men I meet who only read other white men, and I believe that habit starts in high school.
I've got to say, that's me. I used to read a lot of Anne Rice (before she got too melodratic), and there's the occasional woman author now and again, but it's pretty sparse these days. Of the 13 books I've finished this year (plus the current one I'm reading), exactly zero of them were written by women. If I'm being honest with myself, I've avoided books by woman authors in the past because I was worried that something would be too treacly or something. I really do need to expand my horizons, because I think I'd benefit from reading from different perspectives.
Threw a couple of recommendations into the book thread, but for a female horror novelist, I remember Muriel Gray's The Trickster and Furnace as being really good. Each one, as well as a third book by her are on Kindle for $1.99 each

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:44 pm
stessier wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:15 pmI never understand the love for this series. I really think I must have missed something - maybe there were secret chapters or something. :)
Well, first and foremost, it has a beginning, a middle and an ending. I know that sounds crazy, but after Martin and Jordan, it was a refreshing change of pace. :D
Jordan had those too! It just took 20+ years to see which part was which. ;)
Second, I don't know how far you managed to get. Did you just read the first book? The trilogy? The two stand alone books that came after?
I read the trilogy. Didn't know there were stand alone books that came after, but even had I known, it is unlikely I would have read them based on the trilogy.
Regardless, I liked it because it took fantasy conventions and mixed them up. Not just the grimdark nature of the story, but overall how everything unfolds. He managed to use what I'd come to expect in a fantasy series against me, completely blindsided by the big reveal at the end. I never saw it coming and when it all came together, it was awesome. I liked the characters and their individual arcs. I dunno, but I get it. There are things people mention here that I just couldn't ever get into either.
It's been a while since I read them (guessing about 5 years), but I remember it being terribly pointless and depressing. It wasn't a place I had any desire to revisit and there were no characters I cheered for. But to each their own.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:37 am
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:44 pm
Jordan had those too! It just took 20+ years to see which part was which. ;)
I read the trilogy. Didn't know there were stand alone books that came after, but even had I known, it is unlikely I would have read them based on the trilogy.
It's been a while since I read them (guessing about 5 years), but I remember it being terribly pointless and depressing. It wasn't a place I had any desire to revisit and there were no characters I cheered for. But to each their own.
With regards to the First Law trilogy - I loved book 1, but felt book 2 and book 3 really bogged down with the fake quest. Some other interesting things were still happening, but it bogged down for me.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

$1.99

First book of an entertaining dystopian series.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was going to add it here as it's buried in my Amazon wishlist, but it wasn't until now that figured out why it was there in the first place. I added it because of the short-lived TV series Revolution. I don't know if it was mentioned as being similar to or directly inspired by this series, but that's how it ended up on my wishlist. Mystery solved!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Probably not going to appeal to many of you, but The Guns of August is considered one of the definite histories of the beginning of WW1 and it's on sale today for $1.99. My decades old mass market paperback copy has bit the dust so I'm glad to have an electronic version.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I will pretty much read any Pulitzer prize-winning book, no matter the subject.

Although now I'm wishing I had read this before starting Shirer's quite lengthy (and difficult, because my references for the time are weak), Third Reich book.

Probably not too late to switch.