Recommendations? - Ordering new system

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sepiche

Recommendations? - Ordering new system

Post by Sepiche »

Looks like I might be getting a new system for my wife in the near future. It's been so long since I ordered one last I can't even remember where I got it, and for lack of time I think I'm going to get this one pre-built from somewhere.

Any recommendations on good companies to order from these days?

If possible I'd like somewhere that gives me a lot of control over the details of all the parts, and somewhere that doesn't preinstall a lot of additional programs, but I'm pretty flexible.

Thanks!
Daehawk

Re: Recommendations? - Ordering new system

Post by Daehawk »

Depends how much you want to pay. Kraken has a thread on this here too and just got his PC I think. The regular names come up...Origin, iBuypower, Cyberpower, Falcon. Many others.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Custom PC vendors I'd recommend: If quality customer service is important to you, I suggest steering clear of Cyberpower and iBuyPower.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Thanks! Yeah, mostly I just want somewhere that's not too sketchy and isn't gouging me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Digital Storm and Puget. Those were the ones I couldn't think of. DS and Origin both make nice looking PCs. I always build my own though so dont know the quality.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Sepiche wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:12 pm If possible I'd like somewhere that gives me a lot of control over the details of all the parts, and somewhere that doesn't preinstall a lot of additional programs, but I'm pretty flexible.
I've bought two Falcon-Northwest rigs and have been very happy with them. They are well known that they ship PCs with all the crapware removed, which I can confirm in the Win XP and Win 7 units I gotten. I've never had any hardware issues with the components they include.

And you get a cool faux-leather binder with docs, the original discs, the cables and connectors not used, plus a recovery USB drive. Or at least all that came in my 2014 rig purchase.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I looked through Kraken's thread which gave me a lot of good ideas and I priced out a couple of systems with Falcon and eCollegePC.

I was able to skimp in a few key areas on the eCollege system and it comes out about $800 less than the Falcon one. The Falcon system is definitely better, but only modestly so. I'm not opposed to paying a little more better service and better quality, but any thoughts if it's worth the difference based on the two companies?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sepiche wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:22 am I looked through Kraken's thread which gave me a lot of good ideas and I priced out a couple of systems with Falcon and eCollegePC.

I was able to skimp in a few key areas on the eCollege system and it comes out about $800 less than the Falcon one. The Falcon system is definitely better, but only modestly so. I'm not opposed to paying a little more better service and better quality, but any thoughts if it's worth the difference based on the two companies?
That's largely subjective, and difficult to quantify. eCollege PC and Falcon-NW will both provide you with a well-built rig. But as jztemple2 observes above, Falcon-NW definitely aims for a premium service with commensurate pricing. You'll need to judge for yourself whether your budget is better spent on a higher-end customer experience (Falcon-NW), better components/hardware (eCollege PC is hard to beat in terms of custom PC pricing, so you could spend the difference in price on superior components), or simply retained in your wallet.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:15 am That's largely subjective, and difficult to quantify. eCollege PC and Falcon-NW will both provide you with a well-built rig. But as jztemple2 observes above, Falcon-NW definitely aims for a premium service with commensurate pricing. You'll need to judge for yourself whether your budget is better spent on a higher-end customer experience (Falcon-NW), better components/hardware (eCollege PC is hard to beat in terms of custom PC pricing, so you could spend the difference in price on superior components), or simply retained in your wallet.
I think that tells me what I needed to know. Thanks for the help!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats funny is I remember falcon NW Mach V being super expensive back in the day...like mid 1990s. This was back when I got my PC for $850 and most new PCs were $1500..at MOST $2500. Their Mach V was nearly $5000. To be sure I went and found an old magazine ad online from 95 or 96 and sure enough theres the MACH V for $4500. Now the funny part. I went to their site and configed a high end Mach V...cost...$4500. 20+ years and the same price ...wow.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

FWIW, I'm thrilled with my eCollege machine so far. Their salesperson was responsive and coordinated with their tech people to answer my questions, it came in under budget, and it shipped when they said it would. Nothing bad to say about them.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kraken wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:45 am FWIW, I'm thrilled with my eCollege machine so far. Their salesperson was responsive and coordinated with their tech people to answer my questions, it came in under budget, and it shipped when they said it would. Nothing bad to say about them.
Thanks for the info! Got a new system ordered for her, now I just have to keep her entertained until it gets here. :P
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New system got delivered this morning and just got finished hooking it up. Everything looks and runs great, and the wife should be happy since this is a pretty big upgrade over her old rig.

Thanks for all the advice!

Edit: For reference... it used to take her old computer about 5 minutes to get through the initial OS load on boot and get loaded to the point where you could actually do anything. New system is on the login screen and ready to go in about 10 - 15 seconds.

Now I just have to keep myself from being jealous and ordering a new PC for myself. :oops:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

And it was exactly 2 weeks and 1 day after I ordered my wife's new computer that I got too jealous to resist ordering my first new computer in 11 years. :oops:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ill probably be ordering my wife her first rig within the next year. Unfortunately, that also requires remodeling the office to support two.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So many 1st world problems in this thread :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What name did your new master give you?
It's almost as if people are the problem.