OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zarathud

Re: OO Solo Board Gamers Guild

Post by Zarathud »

Hepcat has usually bought it and played before we get together. The last year, I bought far fewer games because he always picked up a copy before I knew the game was released. It saved me enough money to go in big on CMON and 7th Continent. Now if I could only get away from work lately to play with hepcat's toys.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's not going to be an issue shortly. You're moving to my neighborhood soon and your new place is going to have a hepcat sized crawlspace. Just knock on the wall and I'll pop out for gaming. The leprechaun outfit is going to be a nice touch, I think.

"Red hearts, green clovers...YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP, YOU SON OF A..."
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

GLOOMHAVEN IS HERE!

I decided to go with the Y.A.S.S. Plano box storage method since the BGG community had put up some great printable labels for them. Had already ordered the Planos from Amazon to arrive same day, so by time the big boy arrived I already had those set up and ready to go.

It's still a heck of a lot of work (and I'll probably be up at least a couple more hours with it), but it's been much, much easier being able to just punch and sort immediately.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I went with Y.A.S.S. Now that I'm running with the companion apps, it's even easier though. Saves some table space.

Also a reminder that if anyone has/gets Tabletop Simulator, I'd be happy to run through some Gloomhaven. There is an excellent mod that actually lets you play the full game as well as the 1-off scenarios that the developer has done. That may be easier than trying to learn it solo.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I saw that the DVG War of the Worlds boxes released the other day. I am most interested in the France map, and I know Cardhaus still has copies. Has anyone seen/played these? They look like simple wargames, and I love the theme, but for some reason (I do not remember) I decided to cancel my KS pledge when it was on Kickstarter. So something bothered me about it then, but my brain wanted me to forget...

I am also kicking around picking up one (or two) of the Hopolomachus games instead. I am getting too impatient for my Too Many Bones pledge...
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 pm GLOOMHAVEN IS HERE!

I decided to go with the Y.A.S.S. Plano box storage method since the BGG community had put up some great printable labels for them. Had already ordered the Planos from Amazon to arrive same day, so by time the big boy arrived I already had those set up and ready to go.

It's still a heck of a lot of work (and I'll probably be up at least a couple more hours with it), but it's been much, much easier being able to just punch and sort immediately.
I did the Y.A.S.S. Plano boxes too. Recommended.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pmbut for some reason (I do not remember) I decided to cancel my KS pledge when it was on Kickstarter. So something bothered me about it then, but my brain wanted me to forget...
For some reason, many of the DVG titles are a bit rough around the edges during their first release. Non terrible, but probably in need of additional editing and a round of rule errata. Invariably they end up issuing all kinds of fixes and updates that then sometimes get incorporated into an updated re-print of second edition.

I've seen pretty good reviews of the War of the Worlds game, but I can't really say either way how it is as it's not something I'm into, sorry.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

baelthazar wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 pm I am also kicking around picking up one (or two) of the Hopolomachus games instead. I am getting too impatient for my Too Many Bones pledge...
Start with Hoplomachus Origins. It’s an inexpensive entry point that is fully compatible with Rise of Rome and Lost Cities. So if you find it’s not to your liking, you won’t have spent a ton. And if you do enjoy it, well you’ve got even more gladiators to choose from in the bigger arenas. It’s a lot like a deeper version of Heroscape. Although not so deep as to take more than 15 minutes to learn.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Tried the first scenario of Gloomhaven last night. I wasn't using this as the official kick-off to the campaign, but just as a tutorial.

It's definitely going to take some time to get used to the ability cards. Figuring out what to play was tough, and I don't yet know the best strategy in terms of discard/lost/resting. I think I'll spend some time today watching a few more playthrough videos.

I was also curious about looting - are we really expected to spend turns playing cards to move around and pick up treasure, or is it general practice just to grab what you can while you're fighting and then move on?

At any rate, it was a lot of fun and I found myself replaying it in my mind quite a bit last night. I think I will start using the companion app just to make the solo play quicker.

As far as minis go, I started painting all the starter classes. I've really had to reign in my perfectionism with painting now because I wind up with a ton of minis I never finish. This time around it's prime, base, wash, and done. Any paint at all looks better than an unpainted figure, so I've had to break myself of the mindset that they have to be perfect under close scrutiny.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 am I was also curious about looting - are we really expected to spend turns playing cards to move around and pick up treasure, or is it general practice just to grab what you can while you're fighting and then move on?
Most of the time you'll want to play movement cards that will allow you to position yourself next to an enemy, but on a space with a coin if possible. Otherwise it's a "grab it as you can" kind of thing. Money can get you some pretty nice things, plus donating to the sanctuary between scenarios nets you a great bonus in the form of two blessings that go into your deck for the next scenario. So they probably didn't want folks getting rich too fast.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Thanks - I watched the Tom Teaches playthrough and it made more sense. I also got a better feel for card management. One major rule I completely forgot was the ability to use any card as a generic Move 2 or Attack 2. Ouch. No wonder I was struggling. :doh:

Going to give it another go tonight. Between all the playthroughs I watched today I think I've seen almost every rule screw-up imaginable, so hopefully I'll be well-prepared.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And don’t forget that if you play a loss card for its base effect, it isn’t considered a loss card.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think the coins reward moving around, placing yourself in danger and figuring out how many moves you can squeeze out without losing. I do wish there was a 1 turn "cleanup" round to loot before you go on.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finally kicked off my Gloomhaven solo campaign in earnest. I've failed the first scenario twice (standard solo difficulty, two characters).

The first time I played too aggressively, and ran out of cards before I could finish. It was close though, I was down to only one monster left. The second time I played too conservatively, and though I had plenty of cards, bad rest timing led to getting party wiped in the second room.

I've heard (maybe from you guys) that the first two scenarios are difficult, so I'm just taking my licks and regrouping. XP is XP right?

Despite the setbacks, last night I kept dreaming of top and bottom card abilities. So apparently the game has its hooks in me. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not that the first few scenarios are any more difficult than others, it's that the game itself takes at least a few scenarios before you grok it all. Card management in this game takes some getting used to. But eventually it will become second nature.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Gloomhaven has finally clicked with me.

After dialing back the solo rule difficulty bump, I was able to get through the first scenario.

Made three attempts at Scenario #2 and was having trouble, but it was always close. So last night I went back to my card supply and swapped out a couple of Level 1 cards for a couple of the Level X that were better. That made a huge difference.

I also used Gloomhaven Helper for the first time, and that was terrific. Not having to fumble with monster ability decks and cards made setup/teardown so much faster I could really focus on the game and not the prep.

At any rate, I finished the scenario with my Spellweaver in great shape and my Cragheart exhausted (but only barely). I think I've finally got the hang of the Spellweaver's card management, which kept biting me in past attempts. I'm starting to learn that despite her small hand size, she's actually extremely powerful and long-lasting if you literally "play your cards right."

Now if only the removable sticker set would come back into stock somewhere! I know it's easy enough to keep track of the campaign through a spreadsheet (which I'm doing), but I hesitate to go much deeper without being able to sticker everything up properly.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've had a number of games on my solo table now for a few weeks, but I think I picked things that were too dense and unintentionally overwhelmed myself. Essentially, I've been setting things up, getting started and then realizing it's too much. So I break it all down and try again with something else. The problem is that I had been playing much lighter/quicker games to try to get my solo muscles up to speed and I think I got confident. I'm going to dial it back for this coming week and try to just continue to build up to things that are much more complex. I'd love to just jump into a solo Gloomhaven game, but I think it would kill me. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've really been struggling with solo gaming over the last month or so. As I said in my last post, I've had about 3 or 4 other games set up but I don't get very far; I ended up breaking them down and putting them away in frustration. I think I'm just not quite ready yet for something that's going to take me 3+ hours per session, split over a few nights. So with that, I'm going back to the stuff I know I can play in one sitting. Case point - Rifles in the Ardennes by Gottardo Zancani, via Tiny Battle Publishing.

That's the end condition; I was able to move one of my squads into the first area, completing the Patrol mission (really the intro/tutorial mission for the game).

What I really like about it (above and beyond how quickly I can play) is the overall tactical feel that manages to come through with relatively few moving parts. In this particular outing, I hit resistance rather early, but with some focused fire and lucky die rolling managed to push through a few squads of Nazis. As I moved closer to the objective, I lucked out with bonus activations. With the mission timer running low, I decided to take those extra activations and press forward. Fortunately the secret events (the numbers to the left) revealed "a rain event" and "civilians" for my last space. What I really like is the random tilt - which I can appreciate would drive some people insane. The whole system is based of a D6 roll, which is modified up an down by the units, their condition and what might be going on in the environment (rain, cover, buildings, etc...). Yes it's simplified, but it keeps things moving - which is nice.

Anyway, I really recommend it. Not just because of the weight, but the variables. There's 8 missions and enough chits to allow you to play any number of combinations (real or imagined) - US, Soviet, or German. The name is really just a tie to WW2. There's nothing specific about any of the included material that ties it to the Ardennes.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Ah, yes, Rifles... forgot about the discussion earlier in this thread. Boughted. 8-)
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So for anyone who has been playing Star Wars Imperial Assault with the solo app there's a new campaign being released on Aug 8th.

Return to Jabba's Realm
A New Adventure
The Jabba’s Realm digital campaign will see your heroes crash-landing on Tatooine, where they find themselves forced to serve Jabba the Hutt in order to protect the ones they love. This thrilling adventure takes you and your allies on five all-new missions that offer a new twist on the physical Jabba’s Realm campaign.

Though the campaign is five missions long, like the first campaign for the Legends of the Alliance companion app, the Jabba’s Realm digital campaign actually features eight new missions, offering plenty of replayability should you choose to dive into the world of Tatooine's scum and villainy once again. Although the narrative structure and story beats of these missions is similar to what is found in the physical campaign, the missions themselves are entirely new!
I really enjoyed playing the base game with the app and I just happen to own Jabba's Realm as well. Looking forward to avoiding getting eaten by a Rancor on Aug 8th!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I picked up SAMURAI SPIRIT for cheap on Prime Day ($11), so I gave that a whirl tonight. Played solo but with three samurai since I didn't want to use any special rules.

I did win my first game on Normal, but that's primarily because I had watched Rodney Smith's playthrough and got some great strategy tips (along with a lot of luck). However, there's also always the chance I missed a rule here or there so I'm not under the impression that the game is easy in any way. Judging from comments I've read, it's decidedly tough.

The components are great for the price, and the box even has a nifty insert to put everything away nice and neat. I did find the rulebook a little lacking in a couple of areas, but any questions I had were answered in the playthrough.

This is an older game (2014), so many of you may already know about it. However, here's a quick rundown for those who haven't seen it:

You start with a village with 6 farms, 3 families, and a number of barricades depending on number of players. Each player has a Samurai who has a Battle Track limit to the right of their card (ex: 10), three defensive symbols on the left of their card (hat, farm, doll), and a special power that can be used any time. They also have a more powerful ability that can be triggered should they ever hit their Battle Track limit exactly.

The goal of the game is to survive three rounds by having at least one farm and one family standing at the end of each round. Surviving a round requires running through a deck of Raiders, each with their own battle values, symbols, and battle penalties. The round ends when this Raider deck is depleted, or all Samurai have been forced to pass due to going over their Battle Limit.

On your turn, you can choose to Fight (draw and resolve a Raider card), Support (forfeit drawing a card in order to pass your special ability to another Samurai), or Pass. For the most part you'll be fighting, as it's the only way to get through the deck.

When you Fight, you draw a Raider card then choose to Defend or Attack. If you choose to Defend, you assign the Raider's symbol (hat, farm, doll) to one of your three matching defensive slots. Only one card of each symbol can be matched, so once you fill up all three slots you can't defend anymore. If you choose to Attack, then you place the card next to your Battle Limit line and move your samurai token up a number of spaces equal to the total of all Raiders next to your Battle Line. As you start placing cards, Raiders will stack and overlap. Some Raiders have penalties, and the penalty showing on the bottom most card must be resolved at the start of every turn.

There's a lot of strategy going on here. It really all boils down to a card-placing puzzle - how do you most efficiently assign the cards in the deck among your Samurai to mitigate the most damage and survive until the next round? How do you optimize your chances of hitting your Battle Limit exactly and triggering your big power? The game gets increasingly tougher in Round 2 and Round 3 as high-value Lieutenants and Bosses are added to the deck.

There are a ton of variables. All the Samurai have very different abilities, so the game can play completely different depending on which ones you choose (or randomly draw). Then you have the randomness of the Raider deck to contend with, as well as the tricky notion of when to Defend and when to Attack. Keeping a close eye on the number of cards left in the deck is crucial, as you're constantly balancing ways to eat up cards without putting yourself into a position of taking wounds or going over your Battle Limit.

Fun little game, and one I'm happy to have in my collection as a solo option. I think I could even probably get this on the table with my gaming group given that it plays very quickly (around 30 minutes), and offers a good strategic challenge without being heavy. It is VERY puzzly, though, so YMMV depending on whether you like that kind of game.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Managed to finally get Adventuria to the table this weekend. For those unaware (as I was), this is a card game based on the (apparently) quite popular German Dark Eye Pen and Paper RPG system that's been out since the mid 1980s. I'm only slightly familiar with it because of the various video game adaptations, but from what I understand it's the American equivalent (though more popular) than Dungeons and Dragons.

Anyway, this game was a KS project originally, but it's in retail release now, along with ~6 expansions. Interestingly, the core game is a card "duel" that you play against someone else, however it's also been created as a way to coop your way with other players through a campaign adventure. This is what the combat looks like a few rounds in:

The system it uses isn't all that unique - essentially you play cards in your hand that you don't think you'll need as "endurance", allowing you to exhaust (i.e. "tap") them to equip or play other cards either in your hand or on the table. If this is all that you had to do, I'm not sure I would have liked the game nearly as much.

Prior to engaging in this combat, there's a brief (but important) campaign / adventure setup that includes various elements that will impact the pending combat/showdown event that's being depicted above. Each of the characters has a stat card and all checks are resolved on a D20. As you read through the adventure booklet, you're prompted to check various skills and the results can potentially hurt or help you as you move into the combat situation. It's not just "roll dice, succeed or take damage" (though that does happen), instead there were also failures that involved adding additional enemies to the upcoming encounter or starting the first round with fewer cards.

Combat is resolved with card play and dice rolling and for the adventure I played, I couldn't directly attack the boss until I passed 3 skill checks first. In addition, there is a timer (you can see the hourglass tokens) that will randomly cause something to happen - usually bad - so it's in your best interest to efficiently complete combat as quickly as possible.

The enemies themselves act based on a D20 roll. Sometimes they attack a specific character, other times it's a random choice or they don't attack at all. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it changes the flow of the game from a back and forth slug-fest into something that feels a bit more like a DM running an adventure, with the AI making random choices each turn.

In addition, once you defeat all the enemies, you can use the leftover timer tokens to help prepare you for the next encounter. You can trade them in for re-roll tokens, heal yourself, or use them to play skill cards that will automatically be ready to go when you start the next adventure. I really like this element as it makes it feel more like an RPG overall.

Anyway, I really like the game quite a bit. It's more of what I was hoping the Pathfinder Adventure card game would be. Between the story booklet, character skills and monster AI (they're not just necessarily attacking you every turn), it feels more like a PnP RPG than any card game I've played. The other thing I really liked is that I was able to play it in true solo mode - one character. I don't feel like that's a viable option for games like Pathfinder Adventures, Lord of the Rings LCG or even the Arkham Horror LCG. Being able to just focus on one character and get to learn that card deck is a huge bonus (for me). I think this game is a hidden gem - high quality parts, excellent artwork and slick game play. Would recommend. I'll probably add it to a game I'd consider for group play, but so far it seems to be a great solo choice.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I picked up the base game back in October of last year, and then promptly grabbed a bunch of expansions. It's a very solid game. I just wish there was more diversity in the weapons/armor. Right now they're pretty limited.

I like it solo, but it's also equally fun in head to head games. It's one of those rare games I'll play both solo and multiplayer.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I don't know if there's a lot of replay (outside of using different characters), but I like it because it feels like a mid-weight game in terms of setup and play time. I don't need to create 4+ location decks, bury a boss and henchmen and then spend the game time playing "whack a mole" to try and find them. This feels more like a modified choose-your-own adventure with the campaign booklet element. I don't think it would appeal to anyone that's really into deck building, though from what I understand you can purchase the duel set and configure your character in any number of ways using the additional cards based on their setup rules/instructions. I am a bit curious to see how it plays in competitive mode, but even if I never go that route, I still think it's worth it for me as a solo gamer as it definitely seems to scratch the RPG itch.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think the choose your own adventure comparison is quite apt.

Try the head to head game some time. It really is surprisingly fun. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the San Juan mechanic of using cards in your hand as currency to pay for other cards. It makes every decision an almost agonizing one.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still playing my way through the core set of the Adventuria card game. I only have one chapter left in the campaign, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The last two chapters added additional mechanics to the combat, basically either special conditions for attacking the boss and an additional deck of random events the boss uses while fighting (not just rolling on a 1D20).

I'm going to double down on my earlier comments that this really feels like a hybrid between playing a fantasy game book and a board game and I think it's become my favorite rpg card game. It hits the sweet spot between story narrative and complexity and I can play a session relatively quickly. I'll finish the third act of the core campaign and maybe consider another play through with a different solo character to try and gauge how different it feels.

Regardless, it's a big thumbs up, from a solo perspective.
Moat_Man

Nemo's War

Post by Moat_Man »

I embarked upon my first voyage on the Nautilus last night whilst playing Nemo's War. After a complete read through of the manual, a few youtube videos, and then another manual perusal I thought I was ready. I certainly had the turn order and the broad strokes down solidly but the little details bogged me down quite a bit so it took about 4 hours to complete a full game. I *really* hope I can get the next game down to the 90 minutes it says on the box cover.

Aside from that it was a lot of fun. I played the standard difficultly level with the Explore motive and ended up with an Inconsequential Victory. A pair of snake eyes that brought my hull one point from defeat about 5 cards from the end really hurt. I think there is an outside chance I might have pulled out a Success if that hadn't happened.

I do like how the game has different goals that will change the play style. I also think I need to be ok with being the "bad guy" and start sinking ships earlier. I let them build up while I was happily searching for buckets of treasure and then had to go a murder spree while simultaneously managing my growing notoriety.

In the end it was lots of fun and I look forward to my next (and hopefully shorter) voyage. :horse:
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I snagged a pre-order for Nemo's War over the weekend, so I'm pretty excited to get it...though I'm not quite sure when exactly it's coming. "Fall 2018" is rather nebulous. 4 hours would be unthinkable for me in one sitting, but I could probably do 90 minutes so that's good to hear.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've got my copy of Nemo's War set up on the table and ready to give it a shot tonight. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Once you wrap your head around the rules, Nemo’s War is surprisingly easy to play. 90 minutes to 2 hours should be the average.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok, that didn't go so well. :P

Went with easy mode - Explorer motive, all the Sailor level benefits.

I started off very well, but not knowing the game I vastly underestimated the speed at which ships would start taking over the board. Since I was shooting for Exploration, I figured I could just blow them off. Oops.

I did have a kick-ass set of upgrades, but I wound up unable to keep up. I lost by not being able to place a warship with only 2 cards left in the Event deck. Ouch.

Just for grins I still totaled up my score, and would have been defeated anyway with a paltry 167. Clearly I have some learning to do!

Still, very fun game. I love the unique mechanics, and while there is a LOT of dice rolling in this game, I never felt screwed over by it. You always have options to help mitigate the luck of the dice.

All told it took me about 2 hours, but that was with some occasional rules lookup. I was really getting the hang of it towards the end so I think I could speed that up considerably.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Took another run at NEMO'S WAR last night after fixing some rules errors from the first game and reading a little more strategy.

Still playing on Sailor (Easy) mode, but this time used the Nautilus Upgrade expansion cards I got from GenCon. This is a great little booster in that it not only adds 10 or so new upgrade cards for the Nautilus (almost all of which are fantastic), but also includes rules for choosing your own upgrade pool depending on the difficulty you want to play at. This reduces (albeit doesn't totally eliminate) the randomness of the available upgrades.

This time I did quite well, keeping the oceans far from an imperialist victory and managing to end the game with just 1 resource damage on Crew, Hull, and Nemo.

Unfortunately I came up just short, with a score of 192 out of the 250 I needed for victory. Just didn't get enough exploration in. I think neglecting Adventure cards for much of the game was my downfall, and I took some unnecessary negative points from warships. The great thing about this game, however, is that with every loss you feel like you learned something that will let you do better next time.

At any rate, I HIGHLY recommend that upgrade pack if you can find it. Adds a lot of variety to the game and those new upgrade pool rules are terrific.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

This is reminding me, I should set up another solo run at one of the half dozen COIN games I have sitting on my shelf. Those are good for sitting on a table in the basement and taking a turn every now and then.

Nemo's War has been interesting sounding for a while. I might try and find a copy when the new edition actually releases. Assuming that there will be copies available for regular buying.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I preordered my copy from GameNerdz and they're still showing they have preorders in stock. I've been using them for a few months now and have been pleased with their services. Still don't know what the actual release date is though.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Rifles in the Ardennes showed up Friday, hoping to find some time to give it a shot today.
-mf
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finally got a proper game of TOO MANY BONES in last night. Went true solo but didn't make it past the tyrant fight at the end. Still a great deal of fun. I have a feeling this is one of those games I'm going to wind up going all in on, despite the cost. I don't mind paying a premium for a high quality game, and the component quality of this one makes it feel worth it. I've already ordered the Progress Tracking map and will likely upgrade to the premium health chips as well.

As much fun as it is solo, I think my gaming group would really enjoy this one as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only problem I have with Too Many Bones is that in some battles, you can get wiped out on the first turn. I wish all the characters were like Picket in that they can roll their defense dice before a battle starts, giving them just a bit of defense to start off.

But I still love the game nonetheless. I'm hoping I get the shipping notice for Undertow and all the expansions I late pledged this week. I'm looking forward to new baddies, new characters and a lot more quests...not to mention the campaign mode.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Gasket starts with 1/2 Def. Which is pretty vital since Gasket also only has 1 health to start with (or 3 on the recommended Adventurers difficulty).

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just picked up that character at Gencon. Still haven't played him yet.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What player count do you find the best, hep?

True solo was fun, but I think character interaction would make battles more interesting. Is there a sweet spot?