Madden 2019

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

morlac

Re: Madden 2019

Post by morlac »

360 controller still not working. I plugged in the xbone one it was instantly recognized. However, it messed up my profile or something and the game crashed. After a restart i had to recreate my profile like the firat time I booted up. Worked fine after. I also have some graphical issues with tearing on the menus and cut scenes while playing franchise mode.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:46 am The players do get experience and level up in this game, and you can play a variety of different roles: coach, player and I think owner.

Coach is the normal mode, player you can only play one player and have no control over plays. Never played owner so don’t know how close that is to what you are looking for.
That sounds good but I'd have to look into the details. I know some of the soccer management games are practically sims and that's a little more appealing to me although I'd still like to run plays as a player sometimes, I just don't want to be winning games 52-0 with questionable talent just because I've got the twitch aspects of the game figured out.

Madden was always an action game first, at least in the past. Admittedly I have no idea what kind of game it is now so I'd have to do my homework, obviously.

Possibly a bigger problem is that I no longer follow the NFL, so any sort of emotional attachment I feel to the league and teams is from a different era. Today's NFL is completely alien to me. Hell, I still think of the Titans (if they still even exist under that name) as a brand new expansion team.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I play %90 franchise mode in aports games nowadays. This Madden has a wondercul feature wherin you can choose to only play defense, offense or only the "important" downs for both. So like 3rd downs, 2 min drill, redzone etc. This is perfect for me as i can still affect the outcome, increase my players exp gain but not take a hour for a game (15 min avg). It also keeps the scores more realistic.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

morlac wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 am 360 controller still not working. I plugged in the xbone one it was instantly recognized. However, it messed up my profile or something and the game crashed. After a restart i had to recreate my profile like the firat time I booted up. Worked fine after. I also have some graphical issues with tearing on the menus and cut scenes while playing franchise mode.
consistent with some of the negative comments I've seen. Guess I'll hold off a while.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Any word on a controller fix? I only have Xbox wired controllers with no plans to change that.
naednek

Post by naednek »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:07 am Any word on a controller fix? I only have Xbox wired controllers with no plans to change that.
controller works fine for me.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cool.

How's the game?
naednek

Post by naednek »

awesome. I'm halfway into my first season. I love that I can play a half, save, and come back later if I don't have time to finish. The announcing is getting boring as they say the same stuff over and over each game.

Graphics are awesome, and the AI actually does a good job calling variety of plays. I just saw a shovel pass today to avoid a sack. Never seen that in any video game football game before. It worked too, the WR ran it for a good 15 y yards..
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Watched a "madden 19 for dummies" video. It covered hot routes and customizable audibles amongst other things.

In a beginner's guide.

It scared me s**tless. I'm supposed to do all that in the 20 seconds you have per play? Audibles used to be the exception, not the rule. Why even have a huddle?

I can't help but think this game might hospitalize Smoove.

On the other hand, it sure looks good.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If you're an avid football fan and an avid video gamer I can imagine this game must be nirvana. I'm impressed by what I'm seeing in videos.

I'm mildly relieved that I still recognize most of the names on the legendary team.
Mr Bismarck

Post by Mr Bismarck »

You don't need to run audibles on every play; if the play you've selected looks fine then just run that. But if I have my left side pair of receivers running a slant and a drag in the same direction and it looks like the defence is going to sit a linebacker there along with the two defenders in man, then I might audible one of those receivers to a hook, for example, which takes about three seconds.

Y button->[receiver identifier]->down on the stick... done.

This is my first Madden since about 06, as I'm strictly a PC player. I like the way running feels in this game although it seems the AI has a little too hard a time making ground. I had to turn up the AI run blocking and dip my tackling ability. My passing skills had atrophied though and took a few games to get back.

I'm in franchise mode as the Dolphins and thus far the experience is eerily... Dolphiny.
Imagine if I hadn't been drunk.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm seeing some complaining about runner momentum and how sharp changes (outside of jukes) in direction are difficult to pull off but I like what I'm seeing. 230lbs of steam roller shouldn't be able to change direction on a dime without some loss of speed.

I'm also seeing some run blocking issues on the player side, but that may have already been patched. Lots of activity around the mechanics of the game, trying to get everything just right, which seems like a good thing.

This is a dumb question, but what is MUT (Madden Ultimate Team)?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Madden meets collectible card game.

Games earn points, open packs of player cards which are good for some number of games before they have to be recharged or changed out.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh...I don't like the sound of that.

Hah. I'm so old.
morlac

Post by morlac »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:24 pm Oh...I don't like the sound of that.

Hah. I'm so old.
It's surprisingly fun :). It has challenges like hold on to the lead in a two minute drill etc. If you play at least the "preseason" aka tutorial of it teaches you about certain plays and routes for offense and how to play them and read the defense to hit the open receiver. It does the same for defense teaching you about gap assignments and zone etc. It s very well done and will help tech some basics if yo uhaven't played in a bit and you win cards ;)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:11 pm Madden meets collectible card game.

Games earn points, open packs of player cards which are good for some number of games before they have to be recharged or changed out.
Actually they did away with contracts this year. Now, when you get a player card, you can use him in your lineup as long as you like. And also, you can now upgrade the players too.

While MUT is the part of the game where EA really makes their money through lootboxes -- I mean, player packs, it's the part I most enjoy. I see it like fantasy football, except playing the games with my lineup of favorite players. Plus - I enjoy the missions/quests involved rather than just playing game after game after game. (I feel the same way about MLB: The Show and its Diamond Dynasty mode).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have no problem with an organic system that is enjoyable in it's own right and includes loot boxes as part of the system. Getting extra money from your customers without garnering their resentment is design and marketing heaven. It's *very* hard to do, but when it works, it works great for everyone.

For me I am just so completely opposed to coughing up additional moneys that the very idea is a anathema for me, but intellectually I understand that some post sale transactions make sense, are logical and fair. I just don't wanna.

And that has nothing to do with my initial reaction, being opposed to a card collecting football system. That's separate.

I guess what I'm saying is that even though I despise loot box systems, I recognize that not all loot box systems are pure money grabs that offer no value to the consumer, and that some people enjoy loot box systems, and that's cool.
naednek

Post by naednek »

when it's 24 seconds left in the game, and you leading by 3 and your opponent have no timeouts left, kneel the fucking ball. I was being super greedy and threw a pick 6. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Last edited by naednek on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm probably not gonna kneel in a video game (I have some issues with it in real life too) but at least run the clock down, don't throw it!

Still, lol though.
morlac

Post by morlac »

naednek wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:04 am when it's 24 seconds left in the game, and you leading by 3 and your opponent have no timeouts left, kneel the fucking ball. I was being super greedy and threw a pick 6. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Final Score:
Karma 6
Naednek 0
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

naednek wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:04 am when it's 24 seconds left in the game, and you leading by 3 and your opponent have no timeouts left, kneel the fucking ball. I was being super greedy and threw a pick 6. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
On the plus side, I think you are ready to coach the Jets.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Now that I have my tax return, I'm going to pick this up. I have two option - Hall of Fame edition (39.99) and standard (29.99).

I'm most likely never going to play online. I also don't do microtransactions. Is Hall of Fame worth the extra $10? I tend to play the heck of out games when I get them. I'll be playing on an Xbox One.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If you don't hate the idea of subscriptions and play a lot of EA games you might want to check out the Origin pass. You get the hall of fame edition which is sweet. I play so many ea games that it's a no brainer for me. Fifa, Madden and Battlefield already make it worth it for me. Otherwise I would say just get the standard edition if you don't plan on playing online.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Stessier - I'd say if you intend to play the Madden Ultimate Team mode much, I'd say you might want to consider the HoF edition. It had packs and perks and players for that mode than would get you a nice start. That said, even if you get the standard edition, because the game is well into it's annual cycle, you'd be able to get good MUT players easily through missions.

If you aren't planning on playing the MUT stuff, then yeah, definitely standard.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thanks for the information. I haven't played a game on the xbox in 15 months, so the pass isn't a good deal for me even though I see the utility. I'll look more into MUT, but I'm most likely only ever going to use the Patriots, so it sounds like I can save $10 and go standard.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, if you're just going to play a franchise of your current Pats, then you're probably good. MUT is when you get player cards and can mix and max players and different versions of them from all eras. I really love that kind of thing, in Madden and in MLB the Show. Though OOTP's version is rather annoying (but they're working out the kinks I suppose).
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ended up with the Hall of Fame edition as the standard price was identical by the time I went to get it. Came in last night, but I was too tired to play. This weekend should be fun though. :)