Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Conan Exiles - mmo survival game

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don’t forget enslaving people to do all the manufacturing for you. Hunting and gathering is still up to you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Right, right. I'll leave the book learnin' to the thralls. I'm off to pick berries. Or bugs. Or whatever the food is you find on bushes.

Interestingly, I find the idea of enslaving people to be offputting. I also saw some reference to the "wheel of pain" or something, used to break thralls. That's...uncomfortable. And not just for the thralls.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:08 am
Note that to see that you have to do it through the game not the steam server selection. To get fret's server to show up on the in-game selection you have to click the boxes for password protected servers and modded servers to show up (and maybe invalid servers depending on the day).
First, things are working for me, so I'm through whatever problems were holding me back.

Second, damn it, I never went past the "pve or pvp or pve-conflict" screen because I thought it would just connect me to an official server (presumably based on my ping/geoloc). I had NO IDEA that an entire server list with filters was hiding behind it. I feel like a freakin' moron now.

Third, I used STEAM's interface for finding game servers and setting Fret's to favourites. For there I could attempt to connect in 3 different ways, but I chose the third way which was to set a flag to the launch options in properties (right click on the game in your steam library) so the game would automatically attempt to connect to Fret's server without having to mess around with any in-game menus (since I never knew the server list was available in game, this seemed like a good idea at the time).

Fourth, the in-game server list has the mods listed when you highlight a server in the server list, just as you mentioned Coop. So never getting past #2 above meant I could never see the mods list here. Gah.

It's all good now though. Just so many misteps and that's with having a fair amount of knowledge about how these things are supposed to work. Bah.

For anyone who wants the game to just start up connecting to Fret's (or whoever's server you prefer), here's the launch option flag: +connect 144.48.104.162:27059

Just cut and paste that into the "set launch options" box under properties->general for the game in your steam library and it will automatically connect when the game loads. Obviously change the ip to whatever server you currently prefer if it's not Fret's.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Died twice to thirst. First time was because I failed to see and pickup water skin, second time was 10m from river as I ran to fill water skin.

I now have 2 full water skins.

Almost died to little goblin things because I didn't realize hatchet only did one damage. Ran, bought dedicated weapon recipes, crafted sword, returned, devastated them, cut them up and proceeded to get food poisoning.

Killed some dinosaur looking thing, hacked it apart, I now have cooked Dino steaks.

I also have over 40 pieces of cooked human and a human leg I can club things with.

Ended the night on a bed of leaves inside a ramshackle sandstone hut about 100m from the river with a cooking fire just outside.

All my points have gone into encumbrance so far, reaching the first bonus but with points left over and unspent.

Having very little experience with games like Ark, I'm pretty much winging things. Confidence is low ( lacking a strong sense of purpose) and confusion is high (how does all this work anyway?).

I'm just going to stick around the river for now, where meat and other supplies are in abundance while I stumble through the learning process.

Oh, and both deaths were prior to a sleeping spawn point so I was back where I started. I didn't want to start over on general principles so I ran back and got my corpse (corpse run ftw!) Both times even though the first one only had some stone tools and raw materials.

Oddly, my junk never entered into it. I assume it plays a crucial role later.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

One thing that drove me nuts is that I remapped the keys for inventory/map/stats/etc. The default keys act as toggles. Hit I to go to the inventory screen. Hit I again to close inventory screen. Well when you remap these screens, the toggle feature goes away. If I remap inventory to, say, keypad+, keypad+ will open the inventory screen, but keypad+ will not close the inventory screen.

This is not the first game where I've come across this "bug" so I wonder what the deal is. It's frustrating because I have to use the esc key to close the inventory key, and the entire reason I remapped it was because I'm left handed and the I key is not convenient, but the esc key is even less convenient.

Whether it's a bug, glitch or intended, I'll have to look into it to see if there's a fix. I use the up arrow key for map, but again, need to hit esc to close the map. It's...unbelievably annoying.

edit: Just a guess here, but I'm thinking the key I use to toggle map/inventory/etc has a context specific keybinding for the map/inventory screen and that keybinding is overriding the "toggle". I wonder if this is true, and if so, how to fix it. Probably a config file somewhere.

edit2: A little sleuthing shows that is exactly the case. All the keys I rebound to open menus are also keys that are already bound for menu navigation by default. So things like tab, enter, arrow keys are already defined as having a purpose when a menu is open, which overrides the toggle menu open/close. Editing the input.ini file to remove this functionality should solve my problem, and since I just use my mouse when inside my inventory to select things and whatnot, there should be no problem. I'll test it tonight.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am Oddly, my junk never entered into it. I assume it plays a crucial role later.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Stop playing with your treasure, you'll go blind.

I realize I'm like a year behind on jokes about genitalia in the game, but I've only just started paying attention and damn it, I refuse to miss out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

State of Decay 2 got its hooks in me. But I plan on returning to the land of pants and fire soon.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The wife has passed 470 hours.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Games like Ark and Exiles should capture my attention, but they just don't. I'll screw around with Exiles for awhile but unless something unexpected gets its hooks in me (other players, the purge, interesting Conan mythology), I expect to be done with it in a week or 2, tops.

Oddly, I get the same gaming fix from Stardew valley that I do from survival games. Start with nothing, build the basics, use those basics to expand to more complicated things, plan ahead, manage your time, etc, etc.

Stardew Valley and Conan Exiles are the same game, as far as gaming skills and the gaming itch they scratch. Hilarious.

Still, Exiles has more personality than Ark (but no animal taming, which is both a plus and minus for me) and that might be enough to keep me going.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It annoys my sensibilities that the password for servers are stored in clear text in the config files. It's not really an issue, it's just offensive because of the principle involved.

Tested the changes I made to the config file, and my toggle keys for the menus now work as expected. Huzzah.

All my meat has rotted, even the cooked meat. Oh well.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:35 pmAll my meat has rotted, even the cooked meat. Oh well.
That best sums up my complaints about this genre in general. Everyone (in game world X) knows damn well what their options are for preserving meat. You should gate that behind the salt flats being guarded by tough monsters, or the ice being on peaks that are treacherous. Don't make it something dumb like "You can't learn the icebox recipe until level 50, because reasons".
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

On that note, I was reading lots of interesting opinions on logical, meaningful gating that doesn't rely on artificial means like levels or even stats. I think it's time for the artificial, numbers driven rpg to take a back seat. I mean, there will always be an interest in old school rpgs, but we're at a point where there is nothing technically (like hardware, software limitations) stopping game designers from designing more organic game systems.

I personally don't care because I'm ancient and was brought up on those artificial systems. They are second nature to me. But I can fully understand that they are artificial. Organic, immersive game systems are the future. What we're seeing now is the transition to them, where some systems are organic and some are numbers based. Give it another 5-10 years and most games of this nature will be almost completely as you suggest. Preserving food will be hard because finding salt is hard, not because the number beside your name tag isn't high enough yet.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, there are like a billion questions the game never addresses (or not that I have seen). I'm quite sure they have been asked and answered a hundred times on the net. I'm reading beginner's guides less for the hints and more for the general knowledge I seem to be missing.

With that said, would you guys mind if I ask all the little niggling questions here as I come across them?

For example, there is a shelter icon that appears in the upper left corner. it's a grey band with a little house (the house is sometimes shown as "half full"). At first I thought it was a warning that a sandstorm was coming. Then I thought it meant my house was decaying and needed repairing. Now I think it might just be the amount of shelter you are currently experiencing, and when I see it in my adventures, it means I'm standing under a tree, or beside a rock face, or whatever. So I really have no idea what that icon means.

Lil' help?
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:46 am Now I think it might just be the amount of shelter you are currently experiencing, and when I see it in my adventures, it means I'm standing under a tree, or beside a rock face, or whatever.
AFAIK, that is correct (bear in mind, my son and I are still tooling around in the mountains north of the river so we have not experienced past level 25 in the game yet), but shelter is an indicator of reduced damage from weather/storms and decreased effects from extreme temps. It can be your house/structure, other structures or even a large rock.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, thanks, much appreciated.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 pm On that note, I was reading lots of interesting opinions on logical, meaningful gating that doesn't rely on artificial means like levels or even stats. I think it's time for the artificial, numbers driven rpg to take a back seat. I mean, there will always be an interest in old school rpgs, but we're at a point where there is nothing technically (like hardware, software limitations) stopping game designers from designing more organic game systems.

I personally don't care because I'm ancient and was brought up on those artificial systems. They are second nature to me. But I can fully understand that they are artificial. Organic, immersive game systems are the future. What we're seeing now is the transition to them, where some systems are organic and some are numbers based. Give it another 5-10 years and most games of this nature will be almost completely as you suggest. Preserving food will be hard because finding salt is hard, not because the number beside your name tag isn't high enough yet.
I’ve wondered about this for a while. Computer role playing games were decended from table top, which relied on numbers being at least somewhat crunched by people by hand. Now, the computer can do the calculations, I think Pillars of Eternity 1/2 has a fairly complex system underneath that I wouldn’t want to calculate by hand. But is increasing complexity the way to go? For some time I thought it was, but I’ve been questioning it later.

For your food preservation idea the organic idea is great: need salt, can’t find salt = food spoils, not food preservation skill less than 10 your food spoils. I’d love to see more games do this as I think it could lead to some amazing in-game economies that might be more fun than grinding.

But is there a similar way to do combat? Maybe I’m forgetting something, but right now there appears to be player skill vs character skill (and how they mix). At the opposite ends there’s Fallout. Fallout 1 was all about character skill, with the player’s abilities only coming in when deciding how to utilize said skill. Fallout 3 (I haven’t played 4) there was some mix of stats and player skill. Four, if I understand correctly is even more about player skill?

Sorry for going off topic (again), Exiles fascinates me, but I’ve been traveling 10 our of the last 12 weeks and haven’t had time to play, but the way you all describe it makes me both want to play and brings up questions of game design.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think Exiles is a complete waste of time and I should know, I wasted 257 hours on it!

How did I manage to spend 257 hours on a game that I consider to be a waste of time?

First few hours: local server, single player... boring
Next few hours: official PvP server, played a lot over the weekend, made good progress learned some things then ran into server population limits.
Next many hours: official, high ping PvP server, played a lot, learned a lot, reached max level, formed a small clan, started playing with my son, got bored when nobody else joined the high ping server.
Next couple hundred hours: official, lower ping server with lower pop - reached max level again, built huge T3 fortress with tons of named crafters and completed most of the end game content/bosses... got bored when server pop fell and nobody was doing anything interesting
Next few hours: Fret's PvE server - reached max level again, defeated all the end game bosses again, started another huge fortress in the exact same place as the last server with named crafters and got bored without the threat of PvP

I guess I enjoyed the progression of the game, but the end game is completely dead unless you love building stuff. I enjoy building but not with all of the harvesting involved... and the harvesting is nothing compared to the time you have to spend harvesting in Ark (on official servers).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Related to Coop's post, I've been having a crisis of...commitment? As to whether to get into Conan or not. I know exactly what kind of treadmill it is, and I know exactly how it ends. If the treadmill is fun, then I don't mind running on it for awhile. But I played Ark. And I stopped playing Ark very quickly. This, on the surface at least, is Ark.

With that said, I moved into the tier 2 area and started a new hut. It was a dangerous, exciting run to my new location and despite being under 10% health a number of times (screw you Hyena packs), I made it without dying and even gathered some hides along the way. My new hut is twice what my old hut was (twice nothing is still nothing?), and I feel like I've accomplished something. Water is a bit of a hike however. Is there a way later on to create your own water sources (like a well or aquaducts or something? I can't imagine you're still running to the river to fill your water skins from your T3 mansion.

I'm gonna keep at it in fits and starts, an hour here, an hour there and see how that grabs me.

Q: Early crafting stations (tanning/smelting/etc). Inside or outside? I'm not talking about late game slave equipped factories. I'm just talking about the early stuff when you're just starting to climb the tech trees. Does it matter where I put them?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Wells exist, but are fairly resource intensive early on. There exists food that quenches thirst also (I think).

If you are playing on a PvP server, crafting stations inside. If you are ever going to be part of a clan, even a solo clan, crafting stations inside (the purge attacks clans). PvP players and the purge will steal and destroy your stuff. Otherwise, whatever you want aesthetically.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Wells would be resource intensive, if I didn't have a Pippi script to spawn them for everyone because they bug out.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Then it just becomes annoying because you have to replace it every damn day.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So you're saying that at max level with your mcmansion, you're still running to the river to fill your water skins?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

My McMansion is built next to a lake. I just hop in the hot tub to get water myself.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How'd you get water in the hot tub? If you fill your water skins enough, does it empty your tub?

Also, lake=river for this discussion.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:42 pm How'd you get water in the hot tub? If you fill your water skins enough, does it empty your tub?

Also, lake=river for this discussion.
The hot tub is just a closed off portion of the lake.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh. Well it's a clever kludge, I guess.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Is it me, or is the crafting system organization some of the worst ever created? You can't pick a higher level item that requires lower level items first, and craft everything at once even if you have all the materials. That's not right. I can't select an item in my inventory on the left and have that item be selected by default in the crafting window on the right.

You are constantly being forced to find the recipe you want to use, even though you have an example of the item right there in your inventory. And to make matters worse, I still have yet to figure out what sort of system they are using to organize your crafting recipes. To the best of my knowledge, anything that doesn't require a crafting station is just lumped into one giant pile of recipes that you need to root through every time you need something. If I know I want to make a thatched roof component, I shouldn't have to root through bedrolls, twine, stone axes and coarse foot wraps.

Is it too much to ask that I select a base component in my inventory on the left, and have the crafting window on the right automatically show only recipes that include that base component?

The search feature is very nice and seems to work well. That said, it wouldn't be such a necessary feature if the rest of the system was better.

There's no excuse for a craft centric game like this to be so poorly designed. Truly awful. Ugh.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anyone want to give me the Coles notes version of thralls?

Before I even get started, is there any point to doing thrall stuff when you're just getting started, or is it more of an end game thing?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

The short version is that they make your crafting stations run faster and more efficiently. At the top level it’s more or less twice as fast, and everything requires 33-50% less raw materials.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Is the improved crafting efficiency enough to offset the extra management needed for keeping and feeding (I assume?) An army of thralls?

I realize when you're established and want a well run mansion having high level NPC's running things is a good idea, but I'm just transitioning to iron tools and medium armor. The second step after basic survival I guess. Do thralls make sense at this point?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:40 pm Is the improved crafting efficiency enough to offset the extra management needed for keeping and feeding (I assume?) An army of thralls?

I realize when you're established and want a well run mansion having high level NPC's running things is a good idea, but I'm just transitioning to iron tools and medium armor. The second step after basic survival I guess. Do thralls make sense at this point?
You don't feed thralls once they are broken. They just... are.

It's never too soon to start gathering thralls, at the very least smelters and tanners to speed up those processes. Higher tier thralls are more effective, but you can replace them as you progress.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I thought I saw reference to "gruel" so I thought that they were just one more thing that required maintenance, like keeping livestock or whatever.

I did notice that I harvest baby animals sometimes. Are thralls like that? Do they just sit in your inventory until you put them on the pain wheel or into a crafting station? Are they essentially "items"?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For the record, my crafting system rant is because I'm starting to get into the game. I have some basics (smelter, tannery, armor and blacksmith benches), a multi-platform building built into the side of a hill, easy access to iron, coal and stone, meat and hides. All the crafting is interconnected, so armor needs blacksmithing and leather, blacksmithing needs leather and smelting etc etc. And that's just at the first, post-subsistence level crafting. It can only get more complicated and messy as I progress up the crafting trees.

The point of this post however is that I am starting to enjoy the game as I explore and build a home for myself. I wouldn't care about the game's deficiencies if I didn't care about the game, and I'm starting to care.

As I loot new, previously unknown items I'm using those to drive my progression and learning. For example I don't know at the moment what to do with fangs and horns. I know gossamer can be turned into silk. I don't know what silk is used for yet.

My tools and weapons are all iron now, and I'm wearing a combination of basic light and medium armor.

Standard stuff in a game of this nature, but it is keeping my attention. I'm not sure I have enough fortitude to proceed all the way to end game and the micromanagement that entails, but for the meantime I'm content to harvest rock and iron, wood and bark, throw everything into stations and see what comes out.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Crafting thralls are basically items. Combat thralls (Dancers, fighters, archers) are not.

Thrall process is like this:
Craft and place a Wheel of Pain (Lesser initially, only has one slot for training) - I generally wait to mess with thralls until I can make the second tier 4 slot wheel, but I also know how to level up really fast.
Use your truncheon to knock them (first strength perk helps a lot with this)
Use your bindings on them. Bindings will come off if you use your offhand for anything else: equip shield, equip torch, swim, climb. Don't do that. Basic bindings also wear out quickly. You can repair them or switch them out if you have a long way to go with the thrall.
With a thrall in tow, click on the wheel of pain and they are placed on the wheel.
Add gruel to the wheel of pain if you don't have any.
Hit the play button on the wheel of pain.
Wait.
When the training is done the progress bar disappears and you take them off the wheel like an item.

If they are crafting thrall you put in the thrall slot on the appropriate crafting station and they automatically make the world a better place.
If they are a combat thrall you put them on your toolbar, click them and place them. Once you placed you can't pick them up again (without a mod). You can have them follow you or relocate them. If they follow you they will likely die randomly when getting stuck on something so buyer beware.
You can equip weapons and armor to combat thralls. They tend to come with a weapon and rags. Better thralls have better weapons, but not better rags.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:48 pm As I loot new, previously unknown items I'm using those to drive my progression and learning. For example I don't know at the moment what to do with fangs and horns. I know gossamer can be turned into silk. I don't know what silk is used for yet.
fangs and horns mostly go into the grinder to make... whatever the grinder makes that goes into your compost heap to make compost to grow plants in your planter

Silk makes clothes and bowstrings, duh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Great summary, thanks!

So as part of my climbing the crafting tree, I can expand into thralling just as I did into armorsmithing. Just a small setup to start, 1 thrall on 1 wheel, then place the thrall in the appropriate crafting station. Cool. I don't have any of the thrall stuff learned yet, but it's something to pursue.

I believe I can pick up my crafting stations (well, I can pick up my cooking fire anyway). If I can do that, what happens to the thrall inside? Added to inventory beside the station?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:52 pm Silk makes clothes and bowstrings, duh.
Hah. Well, yeah, but just like I don't know what iron makes until I see all the recipes that make iron, I didn't know what silk makes. Of course I can assume silk makes silk items, like shirts, but I don't KNOW that, or specifically *what* shirts, yet.

If fangs and horns are just fertilizer, I can probably dump them for now. I did find an npc's sawtoothed sword (made with real teeth, I believe) but it was crappier than what I already had so I didn't even pick it up.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm level 20-21 or so. Leveling has been unreasonably fast so far even for a newb with no previous knowledge of the game. It did slow down around lvl 19ish though, so I'm guessing the progression curve is about to get steeper.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh, and I picked up some corruption a couple days back when I accidentally went exploring inside something. I'll probably need to visit a (the? I have no idea how many cities or if there is more than one) city to get that fixed. I don't see Dancer thralls in my near future.

I have a little brimstone and a lot of tar. Time to start down the Fire Cauldron crafting tree for a little steel, I guess.

For the record I could not for the life of me figure out how to make steel in the game, despite looking through and searching through the feats. I had to use google. That kind of sucks. Steel isn't some mystery, magical rare material.