Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Jeff V »

Z-Corn wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:07 am Today is National IPA Day.

Chip in and do your part!
I did not know that but okay. Did manage to have a couple of pints of Two Brother Wooden Wobble barrel aged IPA. You can taste the oak (to which my wife asked, "why are you drinking a tree?") It was tasty enough for two, chased by Mosaic Outlaw single-hop pale ale. Wish I bought a 12 of it the other day when I bought the standard Outlaw.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Welp I find myself in VA, so I wanted a local brew. Being unfamiliar with the local laws and customs, the only beer outlet that I found was a 7-11 with very few choices. I decided on Eight Point IPA from Devils Backbone Brewing Co. Based on two sips, I give it four points. Competent in a bitter old-fashioned west coast way, but undistinguished. To be fair, I am drinking it from a paper cup, so I probably ought to spot it a point or two for that. :P
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

How willing are you to try all things beer? Eh, I've heard good things about chicha , is this really any worse?
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Spoiler:
The catch is that they're Soviet-era underwear models.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

BTW, I noticed the Oktoberfest beers started appearing on the shelves a week ago. This year, Sierra is teaming up with Weihenstephan Brewery (Germany) - I look forward to trying it since Weihenstephan was one of my favorite breweries before the the craft beer explosion here rendered them moot. But not enough to buy it when it's still pushing 90 out.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It is way to early for me to even think about an Oktoberfest Beer.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Weihenstephaner and Sierra Nevada's Braupakt -- Tastes strongly of bread and banana, with the hops coming through clearly. Very nice.

Lagunitas's Cherry Jane Sour Ale -- Like drinking cherry juice. Not subtle at all. I like cherries, so I enjoyed this overall, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a sour beer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

From the same Canadians who brought us Ransack the Universe, a very good IPA, comes Life in the Clouds, a very good NEIPA. Will buy again.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hoptimum 2018 Edition Triple IPA by Sierra Nevada. It's rare to see a triple sold in 6 packs, and at the low, low price of $12.99, how could I not give it a shot? The flavor is nice, if a little harsh for the style. 9.6% ABV is pretty good I guess. You can find more flavorful, boozier triples, but they'll likely come in bombers for the same price. I think I'll pick up a few more of these while they're available.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have seen the "Hoptimum" name and had no idea that was a triple.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:10 pm From the same Canadians who brought us Ransack the Universe, a very good IPA, comes Life in the Clouds, a very good NEIPA. Will buy again.
Collective Arts seems to have made a large push as of late, and their focus seems to be on different kinds of IPAs. Kind of wish they'd make something other than that, but it seems to be their specialty.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mark of the Yeast by Kuma's Corner and Buckledown Brewing, Lyons, IL. A mosaic hopped APA, the anemic 5.3 ABV is augmented by toxins found in the DesPlaines river, where I suspect they source their water. Really, there is a gritty texture that does not come from free floating yeast, the beer is filtered. Pretty can, though.
Last edited by Jeff V on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lagunitas Super Cluster citra-hopped "mega ale". Seems more yeasty than hoppy, but a nice flavor that clocks in at a reasonable 8% ABV.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Doc's Double Whammy IPA from Lefty's Brewing Co of Greenfield, MA. "It's just what the doctor ordered!" says the can. I need a new doctor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Luponic Distortion #10 by Firestone Walker, Paso Robles, CA. Better than #9,'I was half way through before a hint off mango came through. Still waiting on the peach and grapefruit. Nicely bitter, but at only 5.9% ABV it definitely lacks a raison d'etre.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Atom Smasher by Two Brother's Brewery, Warrenville, IL. Their annual Oktoberfest barrel aged lager is out, Target has it for $10/6, and oh, I have a $10 gift card thanks to buying a shitload of diapers. At 7.7% ABV, it's a seasonal favorite and Target is charging about $2 less than everyone else. Tonight is supposed to be in the 40's, so I can deal with an early jump on the season. With 90's coming this weekend, might not finish it for awhile.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hop On Juicy Ale by Abita Brewery, Abita Springs, LA. Abita has long been a favorite, and this is an example why. With Cascade, citra, and ekuanot hops, this beer has a ton of flavor, leaning towards the citrus side. 6.0% ABV is o.k. for what's essentially a NEIPA.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Guava Islander by Coronado Brewing Co., Coronado, CA. Guava is not the most flavorful of tropical fruits. It's really good for you, but it just doesn't have a ton of flavor. This beer is made with guava puree, it adds a little tang to the bitterness but not a whole lot else. 7% ABV saves it from being just another failed beer juice project. I can see having another some day, but won't invest in a 6 pack. Two in a row would probably lay waste to my taste buds.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 pm a reasonable 8% ABV.
(Is Jeff going soft??)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:25 pm
Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 pm a reasonable 8% ABV.
(Is Jeff going soft??)
Light beers go better with summer.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Tallgrass Brewing shutting down. Another regional brewery being forced to close because of debt taken on during ill-timed expansion.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Too bad, I liked some of their stuff.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

I bought a sixer up Tallgrass Brewing Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Stout as a farewell. I to have enjoyed their beer but it has been a couple years since I bought anything from them. Hence their problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Yeah, it's been a while since I've bought anything of theirs. I saw online where they were lamenting that people are less interested in buying craft beers from liquor stores than from the breweries themselves, and that hurt breweries like them that ramped up their distribution. I don't know about that - I still buy 99% of my beer at retail. I haven't bought much from them recently because I haven't seen much new from them. While there are a few beers/breweries that I'll always return to, for the most part I'm interested in trying what's new. I doubt I'm unique in that respect. I didn't see much new from Tallgrass, so I didn't buy them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Latitude 33 Blood Orange IPA at the Fox Sports San Diego Grill.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Enlarge Image

Sixpoint's Dreamsickle. "Sour IPA w/ blood orange, rangerine, vanilla, and lactose added." Sounds about right.

This is a weird beer -- but pretty tasty. There's a lot going on in that can, and it's well-suited to enjoying slowly and paying attention to the flavors. I wouldn't have more than one in a sitting, though. It's just too weird.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AWS260 wrote: rangerine
Rangerines lead the way!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm
AWS260 wrote: rangerine
Rangerines lead the way!
It's clearly a typo. He meant, "Mangerine" - as in essence of Trump. I believe the back of the label even states that it has a little wang to it.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pmSixpoint's Dreamsickle. "Sour IPA w/ blood orange, rangerine, vanilla, and lactose added." Sounds about right.
I must find this.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 pm Lagunitas Super Cluster citra-hopped "mega ale". Seems more yeasty than hoppy, but a nice flavor that clocks in at a reasonable 8% ABV.
I tried a local breweries "Yeasty IPA" a couple weeks ago. I can only say it was terrible and I hope it isn't a new trend, like the "hazy" and the "juicy". Although I have had those I like.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:13 pm Latitude 33 Blood Orange IPA at the Fox Sports San Diego Grill.
I would definitely try that, although some breweries go a little too far with them. Stone makes a "Flesh and Blood" that I thought went too far.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:10 pm
AWS260 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 pmSixpoint's Dreamsickle. "Sour IPA w/ blood orange, rangerine, vanilla, and lactose added." Sounds about right.
I must find this.
It's a brewery-only limited release, so you might be out of luck. Unless you want to visit me in Brooklyn, in which case I'd be happy to save you a can!
disarm

Post by disarm »

Bright w/ Simcoe and Amarillo by Treehouse Brewing...silky smooth DIPA (7.8%) from one of the best breweries in the business. It's great only living 20 minutes away! ImageImage
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:39 pmIt's a brewery-only limited release, so you might be out of luck. Unless you want to visit me in Brooklyn, in which case I'd be happy to save you a can!
Well, with that flavor profile, I can't imagine they thought it would be a big seller so I guess that's not surprising. I've seen plenty of Sixpoint stuff at my local beer purveyor so I'll see if some managed to get to a shelf.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Stone Scorpion Bowl IPA. Another disappointing bomber from a brewer I generally like in 6 pack form. Despite the scree on the back of the bottle reminiscent of something from the J. Peterman catalog, this is a completely forgettable 7.5% mildly citrusy beer.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

(Irish) Red Trolley Ale x3.

The best of a bad selection for my convention drink tickets. Under 6%, three are insufficient to do more than overcome my social reluctance at the dinner event this evening.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Peanut Butter Milk Stout from Belching Beaver and a .394 San Diego Pale Ale.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My wife and daughter like that Peanut Butter Milk Stout from Belching Beaver.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It was excellent. Unfortunately, I’m unlikely to see it again for at least two years.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Belching Beaver does sell that in bombers, although maybe not where you live.
Black Lives Matter