The 4th Estate Thread Has Surrendered

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by hepcat »

Give T a slogan and a hat and you've got yourself a voter!
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MAPF. Make America Pity the Fool.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

You neglected the slogan.

Is it:

MMMM Milk.
I ain't gettin in no plane
I pity the fool

Or did you have something else in mind?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 pm You neglected the slogan.

Is it:

MMMM Milk.
I ain't gettin in no plane
I pity the fool

Or did you have something else in mind?
hepcat wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm MAPF. Make America Pity the Fool.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was responding to Izzy and you snuck in like a Thief in the Night.

Stone Cold
And I thought I knew you so well
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, I thought you were responding to me...FOOL! I HEREBY PITY YOU!
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't need your pity
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:00 pm A certain bot forgot to be updated. It's supposed to be gatoing stopthebias. Walkaway never got traction.
...and the polls are projecting Hillary by a landslide. Don't kid yourself, I see a couple #WalkAway videos being posted on facebook every single day. Only one of those posters spoke with a Russian accent so far, but she was HOT! :mrgreen: Maybe it should be changed to #RunDon'tWalkAway :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

em2nought wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 pm Don't kid yourself, I see a couple #WalkAway videos being posted on facebook every single day.
OMG this is priceless!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

em2nought wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:28 pm Don't kid yourself, I see a couple #WalkAway videos being posted on facebook every single day.
I have no doubt that you do.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
stessier

Post by stessier »

For those of us only half paying attention, what does #walkaway reference?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:52 am For those of us only half paying attention, what does #walkaway reference?
when everything is viral and nothing matters.
The pro-Trump Internet is really good at convincing its audience that going viral signals popular opinion, that its movement is and always will be #winning. In this case, #WalkAway is the answer to the possibility of a Blue Wave in the 2018 midterms. It doesn’t need to be true to be effective. After all, the hashtag has now become an article in The Washington Post.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ah, thank you. I feel better now.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It's not viral because there is a lib conspiracy to keep it from trending, doncha know? Twitter and Facebook are part of the lying media. stopthebias

And I suppose it's only right for supposed former democrats who have seen the light under Trump to refer to their brainwashers was libs as they would now be cons.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:00 am Ah, thank you. I feel better now.
It's also usually accompanied by stock photos instead of actual people...you know...walking away.
Covfefe!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:44 pm
It's also usually accompanied by stock photos instead of actual people...you know...walking away.
Here you go setting yourselves up for a huge disappointment again. :wub:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For a guy planning on bailing, you sure do get excited to be stigginit before you go.

That makes you kind of a dick, but then you already knew that. That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Why on earth do you think people should remain civil with you when you're busy smearing feces on everything while chuckling that you can't wait to go to some second world country with cheaper hookers?

My response to anyone who's motivation is trolling is that you're not really part of humanity as we all struggle and work to find a way forward. We're not in this together. You're busy kicking over sandcastles and shitting in the drinking water.

When does your bus leave again?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:09 am Why on earth do you think people should remain civil with you when you're busy smearing feces on everything while chuckling that you can't wait to go to some second world country with cheaper hookers?
You forgot about the cheap rent, massages, food, and medical treatment too! :wub: Those are all priorities, the hookers are more like a fringe benefit.

I am starting to feel a glimmer of hope that we can be rescued from our potential PC future. If gold moves down to $800 an ounce I might become a true believer. :wink:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Things aren't expensive because of PC. Are you mentally deficient?

Stop talking about going and just go already.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:47 pm Things aren't expensive because of PC. Are you mentally deficient?

Where did I say that? Don't worry Gooey, when I do leave I'll still stop by this elitist den you little beavers chomping at the tree of liberty call home. :mrgreen:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

em2nought wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:02 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:47 pm Things aren't expensive because of PC. Are you mentally deficient?

Where did I say that? Don't worry Gooey, when I do leave I'll still stop by this elitist den you little beavers chomping at the tree of liberty call home. :mrgreen:
Damn straight we're elitist. We're fucking elite. That's one of the benefits of being awesome. You on the other hand pay your buck fifty income tax and call it criminal. You got your 15 minutes. Hope it was worth it. Nothing says loving freedom like burning things to the ground then moving somewhere cheaper.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:32 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:44 pm
Here you go setting yourselves up for a huge disappointment again. :wub:
Russian bots using a viral meme with fake photos is only disappointing for people who aren’t Putin’s lapdogs. Right, Comrade Nought? :ninja:

Wait, aren’t you a Russian patriot? Is that tree of liberty in Moscow, Comrade Nought? :mrgreen:
Covfefe!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

This is one of the least elitist places I've ever been. see: Drazzil
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:50 pm Wait, aren’t you a Russian patriot? Is that tree of liberty in Moscow, Comrade Nought? :mrgreen:
Motherland? Fatherland? Southland? I wish you fellas would make up yours minds about which detestable subset you think I belong to. :mrgreen:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Look ma, people are paying attention to me! This is the greatest day of my life!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:15 am
hepcat wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:50 pm Wait, aren’t you a Russian patriot? Is that tree of liberty in Moscow, Comrade Nought? :mrgreen:
Motherland? Fatherland? Southland? I wish you fellas would make up yours minds about which detestable subset you think I belong to. :mrgreen:
That's adorable, you think there's just one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:15 am
#walkaway
Covfefe!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Chuck Todd is mad as hell, and he's not going to take it anymore
Instead of attacking rivals, or assailing critics—going negative,in the parlance of political campaigns—reporters need to showcase and defend our reporting. Every day, we need to do our job, check our facts, strive to be transparent, and say what we’re seeing. That’s what I’ve tried to do here. I’ve seen a nearly 50-year campaign to delegitimize the press, and I’m saying so. For years, I didn’t say a word about this publicly, and at times I even caught myself drawing false equivalencies because I was afraid of being labeled as biased. I know that stating the obvious will draw attacks, but I’ve also learned that the louder critics bark, the more they care about what’s being reported.

I’m not advocating for a more activist press in the political sense, but for a more aggressive one. That means having a lower tolerance for talking points, and a greater willingness to speak plain truths. It means not allowing ourselves to be spun, and not giving guests or sources a platform to spin our readers and viewers, even if that angers them. Access isn’t journalism’s holy grail—facts are.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bob Woodward's new book comes out on Sept. 11th.

CNN got an advance copy.
Woodward's book takes readers inside top-secret meetings. On July 27, 2017, Trump's national security leaders convened a gathering at "The Tank" in the Pentagon. The goal: an intervention to try to educate the President on the importance of allies and diplomacy.

Trump's philosophy on diplomacy was personal. "This is all about leader versus leader. Man versus man. Me versus Kim," he said of North Korea.

His inner circle was worried about "The Big Problem," Woodward writes: Trump's lack of understanding that his crusade to impose tariffs could endanger global security.
But the meeting didn't go as planned.

Trump went off on his generals. "You should be killing guys. You don't need a strategy to kill people," Trump said of Afghanistan.

He questioned the wisdom of keeping US troops in South Korea.

"So Mr. President," Cohn said to Trump, "what would you need in the region to sleep well at night?"

"I wouldn't need a fucking thing," the President said. "And I'd sleep like a baby."

After Trump left the Tank, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson declared: "He's a fucking moron."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Bob W. wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:01 pm
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson declared: "He's a fucking moron."
Thank you, Captain Obvious.
malchior

Post by malchior »

More cut down horse race style coverage from CNN.They wrote up the drama while leaving out the substance. I notice they left out the entire Leahy angle which is probably the most important thing that has happened from a disqualification standpoint. Focus on the style...lose the substance...this is CNN.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A good thread about how the big players in the media are failing us again by focusing on the drama.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Journalists subject to FISA orders:
Many journalists already worried that their calls and emails were likely to be swept up in dragnet acquisition of overseas communications authorized under a controversial provision of FISA, added in 2008, that allows intelligence agencies to acquire large quantities of electronic communications without obtaining individualized warrants for each target. Journalists could become entangled in such collection since many of them likely communicate with people who meet the broad definition of possessing “foreign intelligence” information — which could include information on “foreign affairs.” That concern applied to journalists based in the United States, or U.S. citizens, who might have their end of a conversation picked up “incidentally” under the FISA provision; such incidental collection can then be tapped by domestic law enforcement for use against Americans in so-called backdoor searches. But the issue resonated even more with foreign journalists based overseas who could be spied on without triggering constitutional restraints.

The 2015 memos, however, contemplate a scenario in which a journalist or media entity is specifically targeted for surveillance under various provisions of the act, either in the U.S. or as a U.S. person abroad.
Of course, nothing new, as Hoover maintained a lot of illegal files on Journalists, and Snowden warned of it over 5 years ago:
Long before President Donald Trump coined the term "fake news," disparaged the New York Times, the Washington Post, and CNN, or declared a war on the media, there was a dogged reporter named Ben Bagdikian, who rattled the Nixon White House and landed on FBI director J. Edgar Hoover's enemies list.

Bagdikian, who died in March 2016 at the age of 96, was the dean of the journalism school at the University of California, Berkeley, and an Armenian American journalist and author who was probably best known as the reporter who obtained a copy of the Pentagon Papers about America's secret role in the Vietnam War—the greatest and most important leak in US history—and advocated publishing it in the Washington Post to his editor, Ben Bradlee.
Still, very, very, chilling, and I'm still angry at Obama for not dismantling the surveillance state.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

This topic is getting more literal every day.
Fears are growing over missing Washington Post writer Jamal Khashoggi, after Turkish officials said they believed he had been murdered.

Mr Khashoggi, a Saudi national, went missing after visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Tuesday.

A Turkish official told the BBC that initial investigations indicated he was murdered there.

Saudi Arabia has denied the accusations, saying it is "working to search for him".

The Washington Post said it would be a "monstrous and unfathomable act" if he had been killed.

An official of Turkey's ruling AK Party told broadcaster CNN Turk there was concrete evidence in the case, although none has yet been presented.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
As Jamal Khashoggi prepared to enter the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, a squad of men from Saudi Arabia who investigators suspect played a role in his disappearance was ready and in place.

They had arrived from Riyadh, the Saudi capital, early that morning and checked in at two inter­national hotels in Istanbul before driving to the consulate in the leafy Levent neighborhood, said two people with knowledge of the investigation. One of them, the Mövenpick Hotel Istanbul, is a few minutes from the consulate by car.

By the end of the day, a 15-member Saudi team had conducted its business and left the country, departing on planes bound for Cairo and Dubai, according to flight records and the people familiar with the investigation.
Turkish officials, who are examining the squad’s movements, have now expanded their investigation to explore what happened at the residence of the Saudi consul general, Mohammed al-Otaibi, located 500 yards from the consulate. A photograph taken from a Turkish police closed-circuit television camera outside the residence and obtained by The Washington Post shows a Mercedes Vito van with tinted windows that security officials say transported some of those men from the consulate to the residence about two hours after Khashoggi entered the consulate.
Before Khashoggi’s disappearance, U.S. intelligence intercepted communications of Saudi officials discussing a plan to capture him, according to a person familiar with the information. The Saudis wanted to lure Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia and lay hands on him there, this person said. It was not clear whether the Saudis intended to arrest and interrogate Khashoggi or to kill him, or if the United States warned Khashoggi that he was a target, this person said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The administration is bending over backwards to avoid making Khashoggi 's murder an issue.

Here's Trump minimizing it by pointing out that it happened in Turkey, Khashoggi isn't a U.S. citizen, and anyway our deals with the Saudis are Yuge Money.

Current right-wing talking points are that Khashoggi was probably a terrorist or something.

This morning it's being reported that the Turks (who'd bugged the consulate) have actual audio of Khashoggi's torture, interrogation, and murder.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 am The administration is bending over backwards to avoid making Khashoggi 's murder an issue.
Of course it is. We just signed a $110B defense deal with them last year that Trump still talks about and Kushner is probably still counting on them for bailouts.

Follow

The money.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Turkey gave up their bugs for this? They're not doing it for altruistic purposes. What are they expecting out of it?