Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pmBored people twist their fingers around.
That is not fidgeting. She's intentionally putting her fingers in that position. Don't dismiss this as an accidental event that people are making a big deal out of because liberals need something to cry about. This was absolutely intentional.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:41 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 pm I don't get the video (no access to audio, if there is any). I don't get Smoove's comment.

I don't get much these days.
Audio isn't relevant. Smoove's comment is about https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... cle%20Game. I had a couple co-workers back in the day that "played" it.
Ok, that makes Smoove's comments make sense. What am I seeing in the video. Who is "the victim" (per your link) in this situation? Why is the camera man and the personality on camera trying to block the image?

I'm half way there. Just a little further, please.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:47 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pmBored people twist their fingers around.
That is not fidgeting. She's intentionally putting her fingers in that position. Don't dismiss this as an accidental event that people are making a big deal out of because liberals need something to cry about. This was absolutely intentional.
Ok, now I'm completely lost again. I agree that she is putting her fingers in that position on purpose.

So what?
Holman

Post by Holman »

TheMix wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:41 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 pm I don't get the video (no access to audio, if there is any). I don't get Smoove's comment.

I don't get much these days.
Audio isn't relevant. Smoove's comment is about https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... cle%20Game. I had a couple co-workers back in the day that "played" it.
Um... :?:

GreenGoo, the tizzy to which I allude is the woman in the background half-appearing to form the "WP" hand sign made famous by alt-right celebrities like Milo and others.

Enlarge Image
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

For context, Smoove was being ironic (or, more likely, sarcastic). I don't believe for one second (especially in light of his post in the other thread) that Smoove actually believes that the woman was playing the game with anyone.

Apparently the "okay" symbol may be/has become a symbol for "white power" (a "w" made by the 3 fingers, and a "p" made by the circle and... something).

So, clearly, Smoove believes it's the latter but was "helping" defend the woman by pointing out that she's just playing a game with all the television viewers... yeah. That's it. A game. And she won. She got us all.

I think that basically sums it up.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I think I'm good.

a) The person in the background is almost certainly making a white power symbol (that I had never heard of before now), is that right?
b) Smoove thought it so obvious that he could pretend to defend it with typical far right rhetoric that liberals are snowflakes and she's just playing a game (That I had never heard of before now), is that right?

c) The camera man and on air personality both see it and try to remove it from view (because they aren't heinous excuses for human beings) and fail (because they suck? I realize it might not be easy because I have never been in front of a camera in my life).
d) The woman smirks as she enjoys her 15 minutes of racist fame and the fact that despite efforts, she's still sporting her cool gang sign.

That about sum it up?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I believe so. Though I didn't watch the whole video, so I'm not sure about c.

At least that was my take of it all.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Except that the woman doesn't look very Aryan...but that might just be an artifact of the photo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sorry, yeah. If you point out she's making a white power reference, the usual suspects claim she's playing the "made you look game" and you're an idiot. I was being sarcastic in a medium that is terrible at conveying sarcasm.

She's trolling (at best) or knowingly using what has become a WP reference at a televised hearing for the next SCJ. Or maybe both. At this point, I don't think it matters.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:18 pm Sorry, yeah. If you point out she's making a white power reference, the usual suspects claim she's playing the "made you look game" and you're an idiot. I was being sarcastic in a medium that is terrible at conveying sarcasm.
If it helps, I got it. Though that's only because, as I mentioned, I worked with some people that would play that game. So I got all the references.

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:03 pm I believe so. Though I didn't watch the whole video, so I'm not sure about c.

I didn't watch it all either, but at one point the camera zooms in on the symbol, then tries to turn away so it's not visible, then the personality literally shifts himself and his chair in an attempt to obscure it. It's very clear to me that both the camera man and the personality are aware of what's happening behind them and are trying to keep it from view. To the point I watched, they failed miserably. The woman smirks part way through.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TheMix wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:21 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:18 pm Sorry, yeah. If you point out she's making a white power reference, the usual suspects claim she's playing the "made you look game" and you're an idiot. I was being sarcastic in a medium that is terrible at conveying sarcasm.
If it helps, I got it. Though that's only because, as I mentioned, I worked with some people that would play that game. So I got all the references.
As pointed out, I was completely lost because to the best of my knowledge I had never heard of either of those things before this thread (made you look game and made you look at my white power symbol game).
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:29 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:03 pm I believe so. Though I didn't watch the whole video, so I'm not sure about c.

I didn't watch it all either, but at one point the camera zooms in on the symbol, then tries to turn away so it's not visible, then the personality literally shifts himself and his chair in an attempt to obscure it. It's very clear to me that both the camera man and the personality are aware of what's happening behind them and are trying to keep it from view. To the point I watched, they failed miserably. The woman smirks part way through.
Oh. I saw some of that. I didn't think it was the camera person. I assumed someone used some video editing software to zoom in to make the point. i.e. I assume any subsequent shifting is simply due to the camera not actually being focused on her at all. I think you are probably making assumptions about the camera operator and the personality that are likely not appropriate. I doubt either was even remotely aware of what she was doing.

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Good point about the zoom. I didn't look that closely. The rest though (the camera angle, the online air personality) don't seem likely to be edits. I mean, the personality literally moves to obscure it.

Still, it such a half-assed symbol. Why not straight up start dropping gang signs. While try to camouflage it by pretending you're just sitting quietly? Why pretend it's anything but what it is? I don't get people. You're a white supremacist sitting in the background on tv dropping white power signs. Why pretend you're not?

I'm not going back to view it again so that's all I'm gonna say.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:35 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:13 pm Nike just did it.

Enlarge Image
I haven't bought Nike in a long time as Saucony make my running shoes of choice, but I may have to given them another chance.
Nike Zoom Flys are my favorite running shoe ever. Super fast. Super light. Great ride. The only downside is they don't wear all that well - plan on replacing them every 300 miles.

For something different, the Nike Epic Reacts are probably the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. All those ads with people running on pillows on top of foam on top of clouds . . . that about sums it up. A little too squishy for me, but a great recovery shoe and a perfect show for someone looking for a softer ride.

Nike also just came out with the new Pegasus Turbos which people love, but I haven't tried yet.

I'm a little biased, but I think Nike is making the best shoes it ever has, and far better than some of the competition.

Also, the Kaepernick thing is cool.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kurth wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:33 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:35 am
Max Peck wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:13 pm Nike just did it.

Enlarge Image
I haven't bought Nike in a long time as Saucony make my running shoes of choice, but I may have to given them another chance.
For something different, the Nike Epic Reacts are probably the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn.
Thanks, I was looking for a good shoe. Ordered.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:53 pm Good point about the zoom. I didn't look that closely. The rest though (the camera angle, the online air personality) don't seem likely to be edits. I mean, the personality literally moves to obscure it.

Still, it such a half-assed symbol. Why not straight up start dropping gang signs. While try to camouflage it by pretending you're just sitting quietly? Why pretend it's anything but what it is? I don't get people. You're a white supremacist sitting in the background on tv dropping white power signs. Why pretend you're not?

That's not an on-air personality, it's Kavanaugh at the confirmation proceedings.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fine. I didn't recognize him despite having seen him in the refusing to handshake picture. I won't recognize him tomorrow. I don't typically recognize politicians running for public office. Supreme court justices are right out, even those who are only up for nomination. That's on me, but in a small defense, I don't get my news from video or pictures, typically.

a) I don't know what to call a guy who is the focus of the camera. Guy who is the focus of the camera was only slightly less wieldy than on air personality guy.
b) that camera makes it look like it's either in a brightly lit studio or outside. Either way, not what I would expect from a confirmation hearing.
c) Are random strangers allowed into confirmation hearings? Presumably not. Meaning the woman's name is (relatively) easily obtainable. If she cares about flashing gang signs on tv, her politics are probably easily discoverable as well. Has the internet done so? If not, why not do you think?

I'm tired of trying to understand what I'm seeing, why I should give two shits about any of it, or why it was posted here.

To me it continues to be a dude on camera with a woman sitting behind him. I'm not sold on it being a white power symbol because it's such a bad version of it. There is no question the person is doing it intentionally. It doesn't mean anything to me and when looking at the actual white power symbol, her's barely resembles it.

So despite my struggles to follow along at home, I'm left wondering why any of this was worth posting to the forum. What's the message? There usually is one, even if it's just for the lols. What's this one?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:53 pm Good point about the zoom. I didn't look that closely. The rest though (the camera angle, the online air personality) don't seem likely to be edits. I mean, the personality literally moves to obscure it.

The woman in question is Zina Bash. Her father is a second-generation Polish American Jew whose parents escaped the Holocaust. Her mother is from Mexico.

If she is, in fact, throwing up white power signals (which I very seriously doubt), then she is a very, very conflicted individual.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have a feeling it was unintentional.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:41 pmIf she is, in fact, throwing up white power signals (which I very seriously doubt), then she is a very, very conflicted individual.
2 years ago I believed this stuff was accidental or a coincidence. In watching the video I would testify in a court of law it was an intentional action - particularly in conjunction with her facial expression while doing it.

Why she would do it, I can't even begin to guess. But I no longer give anyone associated with this administration the benefit of the doubt on anything.

EDIT: I'm reading the full video shows her sitting normal then checking her phone (text message?). After checking her phone, she then puts her hand in that pose. Need to find a clip...

EDIT #2: Here you go - Not unintentional, no way.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would love to believe the worst in this, but I honestly don’t see it as anything more than an awkward positioning of her thumb and forefinger on her forearm. It doesn’t even look like the tips of those two fingers are even touching.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:41 pm

The woman in question is Zina Bash. Her father is a second-generation Polish American Jew whose parents escaped the Holocaust. Her mother is from Mexico.

If she is, in fact, throwing up white power signals (which I very seriously doubt), then she is a very, very conflicted individual.
Have you considered the possibility that she is just an inconsiderate buffoon in bad form?
Last edited by Jaymann on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump? Is that you?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My first mistake was trying to figure out what was going on.

Hopefully it'll be my last mistake. For awhile.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I was going to say that it wasn't clear to me one way or the other, but I've seen another picture of her, with her hand in a different position, but still doing an OK...
Last edited by Defiant on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Here we go:

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Defiant wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:35 am Here we go:

The image is a bit blurry, what is she telling the fake mainstream media with that symbol her left hand is making? :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just think we need to be really careful about things like this. Otherwise we run the risk of becoming as conspiracy crazy as those nutjob conservative media types. To me, that second picture looks more like an opportune photo of someone flicking a booger off her finger or something. If there’s a video of her maintaining that pose for any extended length of time I could be be wrong though.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:46 pm Image

Read more here.

I believe this completely started as a joke. But now it has plausible deniability and the added bonus of causing a reaction. I also believe it's 100% intentional and absolutely a white-power reference, in context.
Pretty sure that Condoleezza Rice was sitting in that same spot at other times in the proceedings. For whatever that's worth.

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

How in the world did the ok sign turn into a symbol of white power?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I think it was either reddit or 4chan.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msteelers wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:27 am How in the world did the ok sign turn into a symbol of white power?
I linked it upstream, but read more here. The takeaway:
When we wrote about the issue eight months ago, Mark Pitcavage, senior research fellow at the ADL’s Center on Extremism, told us that even though the gesture amounted to little more than trolling, that didn’t mean it couldn’t evolve into something more sinister:

Right now whenever anyone is using it in this context it’s very sort of ironic and trolling. But if it persists there’s a chance the ironic aspects of it might fall away with time. That happens organically and it’s way too soon to know if the usage will just drop off once they get bored with it, or if they continue to using it ironically in a trolling fashion, or something else.
These guys totally look like they're being ironic.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Why don't we know this woman's name, age, street address, and occupation by now so she can be fired and dragged through the mud before anyone even figures out who she may or may not be affiliated with? The internet is disappointing me today.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's possible she was just sending a message to her boyfriend/husband that she planed to come home and give him a little nookie?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msteelers wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:27 am How in the world did the ok sign turn into a symbol of white power?
The 3 finger make a "W" and the ok part kind of makes a "P." It kind of started as a hoax, got traction and then became real under the plausible deniability of a hoax.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:33 am These guys totally look like they're being ironic.

If it's done with the Right hand, the letters w and p are formed (the wrist makes the tail of the p).
But when they do it with their Left hand, the letters q and w are formed, which could stand for queer whites maybe?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I mean, it's not like that hand signal becoming a white power thing is the craziest thing the alt-nutjobs have done. Let's consider Pepe and the Kekistan flag. And Qanon. And pizzagate.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds