Warhammer Inquisitor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Warhammer Inquisitor

Post by GreenGoo »

I managed my first execution that I am aware of, against a rogue sentinel. I don't know how I did it (to the best of my knowledge, I did not hit the keyboard execution binding) or even what triggers the opportunity to execute, but it was fun. I only wish I had noticed it earlier, as it was half over before I realized what was happening.

Killed my first Word Bearer. That was fun.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

The execution slow mo happens a lot with the red triangle bosses though haven't had it happen with a psyker. I think it is melee only. Assassin has an execution skill tree that makes it happen more often and for any type of opponent and you get bonuses with executions.

I have not experienced any AoE over powering on psykers but may not have or use the ability. Fiery form is a lot of fun.

You have discovered the assassin build that is fun and fast....I have found all 3 of the two handed swords to be fun and useful. Dual wield weapons not so much.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm seeing a problem with the mobility melee skills that all ARPGs have to deal with but many have overcome by now.

The mobility skill (charge/jump/whatever) will be interrupted (by whatever. Terrain, a mob that is not the target, random glitches) and your guy will just stop and stand still. Chances are you exposed him and aggro'd a bunch in anticipation of the mobility skill solving the danger your just created. Except you just stop moving and stand still. This also happens in non-mobility melee skills. If I right click on a target, I don't care that you can't reach the target, don't stop and drop the attack from your queue and then stand around. If there is no path to the target, give me feedback to that effect. Keep moving towards the target, move to the left, right, whatever to indicate that you are TRYING to reach the target but can't. Games like Diablo have long since figured out ways to deal with something getting in the way of a charge attack, or having your target move behind other mobs, reducing the pathfinding access to it. There is no excuse to right click on a mob and have your guy just stop moving. You're already planning your next attack and how you're not going to die because you're going to take these actions. When your guy just stops, it takes a split second to recognize what happened and it means 90% of what you were planning is no longer applicable, so you need a new plan.

It all happens very quickly and then it's over, but when it happens, it's a HUGE pain in the ass.

The assault crusader has less mobility skills, so when it happens to him it's noticeable. The assassin has multiple mobility skills, so when it happens to her she's only left out in the open for a split second then you just use something else that gets her into/out of range instantly. She suffers the same problem but it's not as noticeable. The assault crusader is pretty slow, too, so that adds to the problem.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

don't forget to click on the cabal tab to get your weekly reward. Start with your highest rated character because whichever character you log in with is the level and type of gear you get.

I haven't noticed to many of the path problems you pointed out or maybe I just never really notice
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It seems less prevalent with the Assassin than the Crusader, but I'm not sure if that's true. The crusader suffers more when he stops mid charge because he is less mobility moves compared to the assassin (depending on gear). He's also slower.

I know it doesn't bother me as much when I'm playing the Assassin, for whatever reason.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I logged in with a lvl 6 character, saw what you were talking about Jaddison, logged out and logged back in with my lvl 10, but when I claimed the loot it was all lvl 6.

Lesson learned. The loot is generated when you log in with the character, not when it's opened.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Only pathing problem that I noticed is sometimes I don't come out of cover cleanly - I release space and click where I want to move and my crusader shoots there instead of moving. A second click wirks
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

yes that is what I was trying to say about getting those weekly rewards be it Cabal or weekly glory. Whoever you log in with first is what level the gear will be.

My crusader charges are pretty short so I don't notice but my main crusader has the HP and Defense lines maxed so he is survivable.....though the new content/Dark Eldar his suppression goes down fast so have had to learn new strategies.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The game is definitely getting stronger the deeper you get into it, which is exactly what you want from a game (well, what I want from one anyway).

This would have been apparent earlier but I like to play lots of alts.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Fusion really lets you overpower orange gear...at the sacrifice of other orange gear. You can only fuse other oranges till it hits 100% though but man do I have some high powered oranges with extra traits.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have no idea what you are talking about.

The game continues to reveal more and more game systems as you go deeper, I guess. I assume it's related to crafting in some way.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

yeah Omicron lets you breakdown gear for crafting mats, craft stuff (you can buy green blueprints from merchant/captain), change your appearance for heft fees if you go for the flashiest and do fusion which is for orange level gear only.
You cna also upgrade your crafting station with more than a few add-ons that you pay for.

I have crafted a fair number of greens and some purples (they take some time to craft at least 15 minutes)

The tutorials really don't cover crafting at all I just messed around with it until I figured it out.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Stumbled upon a tactic that seemed to work better than I was already doing, then found a guide built around the tactic, so now I've got a guide to give me goals as far as designing and building my sniper, so that's what I'm focused on.

It's nothing special. The Long Lasgun has a skill that does pretty huge damage to a large number of targets, while putting the gun on immediate overheat. Switching weapons so as to maximize the skill usage has proven more effective than just randomly switching weapons. To go "all in" you would probably have 2 Lasguns to switch back forth between, but I use a sniper rifle and lasgun to give me 2 types of damage and also to prevent me from mistakenly overheating both weapons and leaving me with no weapons to shoot with until the guns come off overheat cooldown.

Some perks and skills are also built around switching weapons and reducing skill and weapon cooldowns, so there is a lot of synergy once you build it. I'm just getting started so there really isn't any synergy to speak of, yet.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And yes, every single time I load the game, I remap the keybindings. Every single time.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, wtf, is Uther's Tarot? I don't mean story-wise, I mean what the hell is that new station on the bridge?

So yet another strange new game system opens up as I progress farther into the campaign. I have no idea what it does.

This game is so weird. Just how many systems did they put in here, anyway? I'm seriously expecting a pokemon go variant when I hit level 25. Just...because.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I think it's meant for higher level play. It looks like you can build a mission from them by card choices.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Did a search to see the specifics of crit. As of June of this year there doesn't appear to be any consensus and crit is a black box with little empirical testing and even less sharing and consensus in the community.

That's...insane. For a game of this nature, not knowing how a major combat stat (2, actually. Chance and strength) works within the combat system is criminal. Most assumptions about the stat are proven wrong with even basic testing, but no one has taken it up themselves to map out the stats in detail. I can't really blame anyone, it's just that a game with a large enough player base usually has enough enthusiasm that a number of people will do all the heavy lifting for everyone and others will support their efforts. That hasn't happened here.

Operating under the More is Better assumption, stacking Crit is probably a good idea. With that said, we don't know if there are diminishing returns, we don't know if, say, dodge is better than crit after a certain point. It's impossible to make informed decisions, and since designing and building your character is 1/2 the fun of an ARPG, this is a pretty big sin.

If you guys know how crit works, or know of a post or thread that outlines how it works with a general consensus of the truth of that post/thread, please let me know.

The lack of detailed information various aspects of the game is going to result in me simply drifting away from the game. Not because I don't like playing the game (I do) but because I have no idea what I'm doing or whether my choices make any difference or not.

Frustrating.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Unfortunately when it comes to action RPGs I don't really think much about the underlying mechanics. I know I should and in traditionally CRPGs I would also be right there with you. Here, for some reason, I'm meh
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

IceBear wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:59 am Unfortunately when it comes to action RPGs I don't really think much about the underlying mechanics. I know I should and in traditionally CRPGs I would also be right there with you. Here, for some reason, I'm meh
Not at all. A significant part of my enjoyment of video games of all types is understanding how things work. That applies to anything, even shooters (although there is usually less to learn in those). There is no requirement that others enjoy video games the same as I do. There is plenty of evidence that people approach games in all sorts of different ways. Some people have a library of games that they just pick up and play for 15 minutes, then switch to another game, then tomorrow they play 15 mins of something else. When I play like that it literally feels like there is a problem that I need to identify, because it feels so unsatisfying.

Blah blah blah, play how you like. I'm too lazy at my age to do all the data mining and reverse engineering myself to get all the info I want when I play a game, so I rely on others. If others aren't doing their jobs :lol: then that sucks. For me. Plenty of people won't even notice and still get as much enjoyment out of a game.

What are first year engineering students for, if not for providing us with all intricate details of how video games work?
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Uthers tarot lets you build missions to try to get specific types of improved gear. The main card picks the kind of gear and the secondary cards can make the mission harder but give extras or increase the likelihood of getting some sort of purple gear. They also give a shitload of XP.
They do burn glory or some such.

I typically run with a time limit and can't die for my assassins. For crusader I pick chance to spawn a demon on kill and can't die (normally you get 3 deaths)
Have never tried one on anything but normal. They are pretty easy if you have stealth......not so easy if you don't but doable. Just had one where I had to kill everything on a time limit....that was wicked.

Have had some great drops out of these missions.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cool. Thanks to Icebear and you Jaddison. When the time comes that I'm hunting specific gear, I'll look at it closer.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Discovered something new about aimed sniper shots. If you let the location thing go around a second time the dame multiplier doubles so a head shot that would do 3x on first go around gets to second go around it is 6x. Only two times around or it resets. So I was stealthing into range and hitting with the double damage....and this was on a mission where I was doing 28% less damage and taking 54% more damage. Even with that I was doing a fair number of one shot kills on elites.

Of course they never explain this mechanic either. I only found out because I was trying for a head shot but got distracted so it spun around again and I noticed the increase. Certainly changes the viability of anyone using aimed shot.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

OK, now I feel a little bad. I've been doing that for awhile now.

This might be a little late but better late than never, but you can let it go around a 3rd time. Headshots max out at about 8x damage. That'll one-shot just about anything that isn't a mission boss at my level.

You can charge an aimed shot/sniper shot a maximum of 3 times that I've seen. They stop going up after 3.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Huh. Lost my first +100 mission.

In my defense, it's a 5 wave defense mission and I'm playing a sniper. Very poorly equipped to handle the number of mobs coming my way. I had no idea it was a wave mission, so I didn't even swap out gear.

I was sort of non-plused when the mission ended. I was too busy to even notice how badly things were going. Oh well, time for another try.

edit: Holy shit, by wave 4 I just can't do enough damage. I don't feel like I'm being overwhelmed, there are just too many dudes with suppression bars and by the time I cut through one and move onto the next, there are 5 more.

I've had such an easy time of it up until now (sure I die sometimes, but mostly because I'm stingy with my innoculator) that this is weird. This is the second time I'm busy taking care of business only to look up to find that the mission has been failed.

I guess I need to drop the difficulty. There aren't any other options.

Dropping it down to +50 didn't feel any different, except this time the Adeptus Mechanicus didn't die so I guess it was different.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm hunting a perk that unlocks when you do 30+%/30+% ranged/melee damage for the mission, for 10 missions. There is no way to track what % you're doing or to know how many missions have been successful so far, so it's basically a crap shoot.

Still, it has been fun doing a little bit of both types of combat with the same character.

The campaign is pretty solid. If you like the universe that exists in WH40K, there is lots to like in the campaign, even if it's just the Imperium and Chaos so far. What's interesting is it isn't the typical Chaos invading Imperium purging. Something is going on inside the the ghost ship the Martyr, and you're on a mission to find out what. While chaos exists, it's more of a nuisance than an equal force. This is all about getting to the bottom of the mystery of the Martyr. Chaos just gives us something to kill that aren't rebel guardsmen.

I mean, so far. Chances are there *is* an epic Chaos plot (hell, almost as a side campaign there are a string of missions that are standard chaos vs imperium storyline) to come out of the Warp and eat everything (when isn't there?) but so far, it's just about getting to the bottom of a mystery, which they've done in very entertaining ways and missions.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The game is a slow burn that gets better the more you play it. I'm not sure I've seen anything like this before. It's still not amazing, but it's much better than it was at level 1, and it was better than ok at level 1.

And I'm amazed that I actually care what's going on in the campaign. What's going on on the Martyr?!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Do we know if the damage types resist stat is a percentage? It's so weird to see the damage reduction trait as a % and then just straight numerical values of damage type resists. Gah. Head bangingly frustrating for someone who wants to know how things work.

I'm digging through google but not definitive answer yet.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holy freakin' hell I think I might smash something.

I'm not a google expert but I think I can construct a search term if needed, which it usually isn't.

Searching for anything related to inquisitor martyr damage types or warp resist or anything like that results in a few entries that are mostly from beta and still don't contain anything useful and then the rest of the FIRST PAGE of results being generic articles about the game coming out from your usual suspects (gamasutra, etc).

It's like no one, ever, even asked a question about damage resist types, let alone talked about it or offered anything on the subject at all.

Gah.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

did you try the community guides on Steam?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaddison wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:34 pm did you try the community guides on Steam?
Not for resistance types, no. I have looked through them before though, and they are mostly unrated character builds. It's just not a popular game, and that's fine, but information is hard to come by even considering.

Any idea what the sales numbers are like?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

tl;dr - the resists listed on the character sheet are percentages.
-------------

Ok, I stripped all gear from my character and all resists except heat are at 0. I have 1 skill point in defense that says +3% heat resistance. My character sheet says Heat Resist 3. Assuming the % in the skill tree is not a typo, we can assume that the resists on the character sheet are %.

How those percentages work is anyone's guess. The most likely is a straight actual damage = heat damage x (100 - resist value) but I've seen so many different resist systems that it could be almost anything at all. That's ok. I'll settle for today knowing that the character sheet values are %. Why the value doesn't have a % beside it I have no idea. 3 traits above it Damage Reduction is shown as a %. Sloppy ui.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I have a build for my sniper and a build for my assault crusader that I'm satisfied with and working towards. Having a plan always makes my gameplay more enjoyable for me, in any game. I now have a plan for 2 of my 5 characters.

My psyker is still level 3 because I still don't have even a basic understanding of how they work and haven't done any reading about them yet. Like resists, basic functionality guides are pretty few and far in between. Lots of high level psyker builds, but nothing explaining basic mechanics. I'll figure it out, eventually.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I finally took the time to figure out Psykers. Not that it was difficult or complicated, but I just don't find the game intuitive, and in an unintuitive game, the Psykers are a lot different from the other two classes, making them the least intuitive class in an unintuitive game.

In any case, I now understand how Psykers powers work, how they interact with your gear, and how the masteries work, mostly. So I'm busy blasting through the early campaign missions again getting my Psyker caught up with my other characters.

I'd like to say that the Heroic deeds, which are basically achievements that unlock skill trees and perks, are a lot of fun. Nothing overly special about them, but if you want a certain perk and that the only way to get it is to kill a thousand bad guys with grenades, is a fun meta approach to making character builds challenging.

A lot of people are gonna hate Heroic deeds, because it means you have to not only play the game, but play the game a certain way to accomplish the deed (which then unlocks the reward you wanted). That's fine. I happen to find it very enjoyable, and having some of the better perks require some of the harder deeds which force you to play outside your comfort zone really adds to the game.

No one likes escort missions in Xcom, but they change your gameplay so much that tactical missions are completely different when you've got to protect the package that I think it adds complexity and additional factors to your tactical problem solving, that it makes the game better. In some ways that applies to unlocking certain perks in Inquisitor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Warp effects from high warp heat are fun and very WH40K thematic. Managing your warp heat is both fun and a pita (intentionally, with more tools available later).

Good job.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not that this is something anyone cares about, but the game plays extremely nicely with other apps and alt-tab. I can alt-tab in the middle of a loading screen with zero issues. No refusing to respond, no crashes. It's very well behaved.

As gamers most probably don't care very much, but I alt-tab a LOT since I gave up 2 monitors, and as a sys admin I really appreciate a well behaved application.

The only time people care is when the app crashes, but this seems to be well programmed even beyond crashes, so kudos to the nameless, faceless coder(s) who managed it despite the low priority for most people.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

you gave up 2 monitors? Most IT service managers I know now have 3 or 4 monitors one of them usually a large TV sized "monitor".

I have noticed the game eat RAM on occasion the longer it runs. They may have fixe3d that.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaddison wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:30 pm you gave up 2 monitors? Most IT service managers I know now have 3 or 4 monitors one of them usually a large TV sized "monitor".

I have noticed the game eat RAM on occasion the longer it runs. They may have fixe3d that.
This is at home, but it's still difficult to function without a second monitor.

I've noticed some some small potential performance issues, but even after several hours things seem to run just fine. I see the occasional delay before the loading progress bar starts, and the game definitely takes longer to load when that happens, so something is definitely amiss. Still, when that doesn't happen, load times are very fast.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I wonder if there are any fun crusader ranged builds with a unique twist or two.

I have
1) deflect melee crusader (and boy does he suck, even with 44 deflect. He just doesn't do enough damage yet)
2) Longlasgun ranged Assassin focusing on weapon swap and cooldown reduction
3) AoE stun melee Assassin using clones, adrenaline gain and cooldown reduction to stun everything on the screen.
4) Pretty standard AoE ranged Psyker. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

I'd like to find a ranged build for my crusader that might be a little off the main stream. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
glorian

Post by glorian »

I don't like the point-and-click style, I'd prefer a 3rd Person Camera thing like the ME trilogy. Inquisitors need party-based combat so the retinue can be represented. I liked the targetable body parts of the big foes, but I foresee major frustrations. I hope to God there is actually a retinue with which you can interact and a way to go do things silently without charging head on. The environments look good, so do the enemies and the combat seems quite fun.
Cheers, Engineer Salary in Denmark Software
Last edited by glorian on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hey look, it's a time traveler from the past!

Welcome, I guess?

What a weird post, even for a bot.