Spiderman PS4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

stimpy

Spiderman PS4

Post by stimpy »

No thread?????
I don't have it (don't even have a PS4), but this may be the game to get me to buy one.
I've always wanted to play the Uncharted games and Horizon Zero Dawn, but not enough to pull the trigger.
Any impressions out there?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Re: Spiderman PS4

Post by coopasonic »

I held off on buying it because Shadow of the Tomb Raider is my priority for this month, but I have watched the first 90 minutes or so of game-play and it looks great. Very Arkham like in the open world and combat, but with spidey's humor and acrobatics. They've gone RPG-like with levels giving skill points to invest in various skill trees. Also, there are collectibles that get you points to use for upgrading your suits and gadgets and there are little puzzles you can do as Peter to earn experience and maybe for other purposes.

I'll definitely be buying it after I finish the new Tomb Raider.

If you pick Horizon Zero Dawn, there is a complete edition with the expansion included.HZD is awesome. I have not played the expansion. My copy of Uncharted 4 is still in shrink from my birthday last year.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

stimpy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 am No thread?????
I don't have it (don't even have a PS4), but this may be the game to get me to buy one.
I've always wanted to play the Uncharted games and Horizon Zero Dawn, but not enough to pull the trigger.
Any impressions out there?
I can only say that what I saw yesterday (my son was watching some Youtuber play it online while nattering away annoyingly), was amazing. Perhaps the best looking game I've ever seen. Ever. Graphics and fluidity are eye popping gorgeous. I wish we had it for Steam/PC.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Oh, and get a PS4 Pro... and then swap the hard disk for an SSD.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 am My copy of Uncharted 4 is still in shrink from my birthday last year.
:shock: Uncharted 4 is great; maybe my favorite of the series. Unwrap that sucker!
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That's how I got kids!

Oh, the game. I could never get into Uncharted 3 and that kind of threw me off the series. I'll give it a try... after Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Spider-Man, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Jagged Alliance: Rage, Forza Horizon 4, Life is Strange 2, Red Dead Redemption 2... umm it's going to be busy fall.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I picked up Spiderman. It seems like it's going to be good, although the first few hours are extraordinarily hand-holdy and I find that intensely annoying. That aside, the gameplay seems solid, it looks pretty damn good, and swinging around the city is very soothing. It doesn't seem as bad this time around, but there are still hints of this at times:

I haven't progressed very far; I got out of the first few tutorialish missions and then just started swinging around the city doing random things.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am Oh, and get a PS4 Pro... and then swap the hard disk for an SSD.
Does the PS4 Pro make that much of a difference? I'd thought about it, but I play so infrequently (even though it's on a 4K TV). Also the SSD - What drove that? I don't find load times all that slow on the PS4 currently.. I think I might of just entered old guy territory.
No.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

FishPants wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:01 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am Oh, and get a PS4 Pro... and then swap the hard disk for an SSD.
Does the PS4 Pro make that much of a difference? I'd thought about it, but I play so infrequently (even though it's on a 4K TV). Also the SSD - What drove that? I don't find load times all that slow on the PS4 currently.. I think I might of just entered old guy territory.
I'm glad I upgraded to the Pro but it did require some futzing on my part because my receiver didn't handle 4K pass-through. And I haven't seen a burning need to put an SSD in mine, all I did was immediately swap out the 500GB harddrive with a 2TB one. But that's probably a conversation best had in a different thread.
-mf
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Played some more last night. I probably shouldn't have chosen the hardest difficulty level, because the fights typically involve half a dozen dudes, and despite Spiderman's super strength, it takes as many punches for me to knock one of them out as it does for one of them to knock me out, and there are six of them. The combat pretty much requires that you fight exactly how you'd expect he would, except that there's a 40 year old man driving instead of a super hero. It hasn't been working out to well for me.

That said, the plot's been engaging so far, and as far as I'm concerned, it's worth it just to be Swinging Around Manhattan Simulator.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Boy, I shouldn't have watched those Let's Play videos. Urge to buy a PS4, rising, rising....
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

There *are* other good games on the PS4, too... I mean Horizon Zero Dawn is the reason I bought a PS4 and it was totally worth it. Happy to have it for Spider-man as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I know. I just spend too much on PC games so didn't want another source of spending
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Of course my gaming 4K TV isn't HDR.. So I'm going to need a PS4 Pro AND a new TV.. Hrmm maybe I wait for the next gen consoles and buy both then.
No.
RuperT

Post by RuperT »

I love that they mapped dodge to Circle with no remapping instead of Triangle like every other 10v1 action game made in the last decade, I really needed new things in my life! Change is fucking great! It really sets them apart!
Bold!
Quest: MacDaddy0 - PSN: Rupyrt - Live: MooseFoe
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

RuperT wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:01 pm I love that they mapped dodge to Circle with no remapping instead of Triangle like every other 10v1 action game made in the last decade, I really needed new things in my life! Change is fucking great! It really sets them apart!
Bold!
Similarly, I'm having some mental challenges switching back and forth between playing Spider-Man and Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest has some stupid jumping puzzles even though the jumping physics are as advanced as an Atari 2600 game. I keep on trying to webshoot my way to the roof of a building or swing my way through a city.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Don't play much on my PS4 at all, but I'm really digging Horizon alot. May wait for a spidey sale. The gameplay looks so much like the Arkham games that I have played to death. Just don't want a reskinned Arkham even though Spidey has always been one of my favorites.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 pm Dragon Quest has some stupid jumping puzzles even though the jumping physics are as advanced as an Atari 2600 game. I keep on trying to webshoot my way to the roof of a building or swing my way through a city.
It does? I'm about 12 hours in and haven't seen one yet, and I've been exploring every nook and cranny I can see. Maybe I just missed them.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:41 pm
wonderpug wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:05 pm Dragon Quest has some stupid jumping puzzles even though the jumping physics are as advanced as an Atari 2600 game. I keep on trying to webshoot my way to the roof of a building or swing my way through a city.
It does? I'm about 12 hours in and haven't seen one yet, and I've been exploring every nook and cranny I can see. Maybe I just missed them.
There was a simple one right before you leave the first town. Little kid wants you to get something off the roof. Next city someone asks you to get a cat off a roof.

Neither one is super complex, but they just seemed really out of place given how basic the jump action is.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:30 pm Don't play much on my PS4 at all, but I'm really digging Horizon alot. May wait for a spidey sale. The gameplay looks so much like the Arkham games that I have played to death. Just don't want a reskinned Arkham even though Spidey has always been one of my favorites.
I finished it this weekend. I wouldn't call it a re-skinned Arkham at all. There are absolutely similarities, but the story is really strong and the combat while similar is still pretty different. I don't want to lead you astray, I mean it is still an open world superhero game full of side stuff to do, including investigation-y stuff and lots of gadgets, so it's not completely different either.

BTW my copy is up for grabs if you want it cheap (er). :D
Last edited by coopasonic on Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I just finished the main story and I have to say what a great game. Nothing earth shattering but good story and action with great production values. I'm really looking forward to the sequel. I really like this version of Peter Parker and even MJ turned out awesome too. The JJ radio show was great comedy too.

I fully recommend this game to all the marvel fans out there.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
disarm

Post by disarm »

I just finished the main story...such a great game! I enjoyed pretty much everything about the this one...swinging through the city, exciting combat, and a really awesome story. The combat may have been heavily influenced by other games, but the Spiderman abilities and gadgets keep it interesting enough that I never got tired of it. In fact, I look forward to jumping back into the DLC.

As much as I enjoyed the gameplay, however, I think the story is the real star of the game. They managed to pull in a huge cast of characters, but kept keep them all interesting. There were some great plot twists, and seeing how everyone developed by the end was great. MJ, Aunt May, Miles, and Otto have fantastic story arcs, and I can't wait wait to see where they go next!
Isgrimnur

Re: Spider-man PS4

Post by Isgrimnur »

Started playing this one over the past week or so. Percentage says that I'm over 15 of the way through the story, but it doesn't seem like I've played that much.

Looking at the IMDB page, it appears that most of the cast have been playing their roles in S-M cartoons as well.

Oh, and Brutes suck.

#RespectTheHyphen
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I totally forgot to post again, but after finishing the main story, I immediately played through all the DLC and tied up every loose end to earn the platinum trophy. The DLC is a nice challenge, and the stories continue the great quality of the main game. The gameplay is so much fun that I never considered any of the extraordinary content to be a chore...enjoyed every minute and would play more if there was anything left for me to do
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

coopasonic wrote:Oh, and get a PS4 Pro... and then swap the hard disk for an SSD.
Bought a ps4 pro during the black Friday sales just to play this in 4k. Also came with Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War.

Really enjoying this, but transitioning from the Xbox controller is weird.

Does the SSD make that much of a difference?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:17 pm
coopasonic wrote:Oh, and get a PS4 Pro... and then swap the hard disk for an SSD.
Bought a ps4 pro during the black Friday sales just to play this in 4k. Also came with Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War.

Really enjoying this, but transitioning from the Xbox controller is weird.

Does the SSD make that much of a difference?
It's enough to be noticeable but not enough to be necessary. It will also depend on the game. Some benefit more than others. Definite recommend if you have the money to throw at it for a big enough drive for your needs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Those three games are one hell of an introduction to the PS4...so much incredible gaming ahead. Enjoy!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

disarm wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm Those three games are one hell of an introduction to the PS4...so much incredible gaming ahead. Enjoy!
I agree. Add The Last of Us remastered in there and you have 4 really great PS4 exclusives that are must play.

Back on topic I just started playing Spiderman over the weekend and I am loving it. It really scratches my action game with all sorts of collectibles itch. And yes the graphics are amazing (pun intended). I'm playing in 4k on a 110 inch projection screen. Some games tend to wash out at that size but not Spiderman it looks really good and doesn't suffer from the large screen size at all.
FTE
naednek

Post by naednek »

Scraper wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:24 pm
disarm wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:07 pm Those three games are one hell of an introduction to the PS4...so much incredible gaming ahead. Enjoy!
I agree. Add The Last of Us remastered in there and you have 4 really great PS4 exclusives that are must play.

Back on topic I just started playing Spiderman over the weekend and I am loving it. It really scratches my action game with all sorts of collectibles itch. And yes the graphics are amazing (pun intended). I'm playing in 4k on a 110 inch projection screen. Some games tend to wash out at that size but not Spiderman it looks really good and doesn't suffer from the large screen size at all.
And if you subscribe to Playstation Plus, you'll get the first 3 Uncharted games (remastered)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote:
Scraper wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:24 pm

And if you subscribe to Playstation Plus, you'll get the first 3 Uncharted games (remastered)
Is that only for the duration of the subscription?

I haven't signed up yet, but I have the free trial available, and since my cousin worked on all of the Uncharted games, as well as The Last of Us, I'm interested, but since the games I have are all mostly single player, it's not important to use yet.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Every month you get new games. Once you claim it, it's yours during your subscription period. If you cancel, I believe you lose access.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Spider-Man 2
The Shocker 0

(thanks to the no death penalty!). Huzzah for your Friendly Neighborhood Wallcrawler! (no matter what JJJ says on his podcast!)

Still loving this game!

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I got the platinum on Friday. Oddly enough my favorite costume ended up being the classic comic book version. For some reason that made the rest of the game look even more realistic. The graphics in this game are honestly the best I have ever seen in an open world console game.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Been playing this and one thing I hate about this game are the stealth mechanics, especially during those stealth challenges. It seems so arbitrary as to whether they detect you or not. So much trial and error. One time I took out two guys right beside each without the other noticing, another time I try to do the same and they notice me. Being that it's of the insta-fail variety of stealth, it's doubly frustrating. Line of sight is not perfect either, as one time I swear I was behind cover and still got noticed as if I were out in the open.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Any chance you’re accidentally stepping on broken glass and getting noticed that way? It’s easy to miss when that happens.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not that I know of. I'm mostly speaking about those timed stealth challenges that happen out in the open with minimal cover. They automatically get into stealth more, and I don't think there's any glass in any of them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I don't remember those as being much of a problem. Don't forget to switch on the stealth ability too (from one of the suits), and use the insta web where they walk into the sensor line gadget.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Oh, I have. Those are pretty handy, and I actually wish I had more of them and don't know how to get more. I guess I need to check my gadget upgrades. I tend to use Triangle to jump directly to them which allows me to quickly jump onto the next one as it usually puts you in a pretty good position to take on the next one. Overall though, I don't find the gadgets help too much during these stealth challenges. I've found they hinder more than they help as they tend to attract attention, but I've found the web bomb to be most effective at dealing with clusters. I had to redo the challenges so often though as it's so arbitrary. For a game that's so acclaimed, the stealth aspects are easily one of the worst I've played and actually feel like a step or two backwards. The insta-fail thing makes sense in certain cases, but in others feel like something that would have only been OK two generations ago. I generally prefer stealth that gives one the ability to adjust to give you chances to escape and hide again, but here the minute they spot you, control is wrested away from you by the millisecond.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I had the most problem with the drone challenges, trying to swing through those damned bubbles while keeping up. It took me forever to get through the one on the NE-ish corner of the map.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

For me the stealth challenges were more about figuring out which order to attack them in than actually being stealthy. I found that the really hard ones became a lot easier if I changed the order I took the bad guys out in. There's one in particular down by the docs in a warehouse that I struggled with. But as soon as I changed up my order of attack I beat it easy.
FTE