Healthcare Increase!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gbasden

Re: Healthcare Increase!

Post by gbasden »

RunningMn9 wrote:There isn't a day that goes by that I wouldn't gladly bury a body for my employer. $0 premiums for an excellent PPO plan.
Ditto. People can throw shit at Microsoft all day long, but no premiums for my entire family and excellent coverage at Kaiser certainly buys my loyalty.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Premiums for the "don't you dare ever get sick" plan have gone up a modest $25 per month near as I can tell. I haven't yet checked to see if the "oh you want teeth and eyes with that?" add-ons have similarly increased.

For once my wife is starting a new job just when it's "shit or get off the pot" time at work, so we can seriously compare the plan she has available. She doesn't have any info yet to really compare the two, but indicated the premium would be about 40% more than we're paying now. The kids are healthy, wife is healthy, and my issues are under control so it would have to take an awfully low deductible to consider changing (current deductible is so high that insurance doesn't kick in until we're in danger of losing the house).
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not really an increase, but my wife's employer (our health insurance provider) has made some interesting changes for 2018. More specifically, they now require proof (via a 3rd party agency) that we're married and that our daughter is actually a dependent. As such, we had to submit copies of our marriage license, local tax bill and our daughters birth certificate for verification. This was all done under the guise of "cost savings", but it feels draconian as amazingly our health insurance premiums are not, in fact, going down.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:00 pm Not really an increase, but my wife's employer (our health insurance provider) has made some interesting changes for 2018. More specifically, they now require proof (via a 3rd party agency) that we're married and that our daughter is actually a dependent. As such, we had to submit copies of our marriage license, local tax bill and our daughters birth certificate for verification. This was all done under the guise of "cost savings", but it feels draconian as amazingly our health insurance premiums are not, in fact, going down.
So what if you were common law husband and wife? What if you were a gay couple who adopted? This just sounds wrong.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya that just sounds batshit crazy. :shock:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:38 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:00 pm Not really an increase, but my wife's employer (our health insurance provider) has made some interesting changes for 2018. More specifically, they now require proof (via a 3rd party agency) that we're married and that our daughter is actually a dependent. As such, we had to submit copies of our marriage license, local tax bill and our daughters birth certificate for verification. This was all done under the guise of "cost savings", but it feels draconian as amazingly our health insurance premiums are not, in fact, going down.
So what if you were common law husband and wife? What if you were a gay couple who adopted? This just sounds wrong.
I had to do this too. He just listed the options that worked in his case (I think). For us, we just had to show they were dependents with whatever documentation would work. Adoption certificate would work there.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My company just repo'ed my cadilllac plan. Effective July 1st we move from an amazing PPO that let me see anyone with a very limited downside to a crappy PPO for which I am going to lose not only an insanely large network (which includes losing the doctor I see most often) but given that going out of network is currently shrouded in mystery, it suggests the price to pay is going to be high. :(
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oh did that meeting suck. All of those mystery things you guys talked where "i'm so glad I don't have deal with whatever that is" but we had our unbeatable benes ripped out from under us midyear. :( I find it hard to blame the company. They've been shielding us for years but still, ouch. We just went from Cadillac, they sooooo good to me, to jalopy in one meeting. But at least we now have an HRA to defray $2000 more cost in addition to everything else, so long as you now start reporting all of your paperwork to the 3rd party and make an appeal to get a refund for up to $2000 in the increases to deductibles.

Again, I don't blame the company. But this.... sucks....
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Every time I hear you guys talk healthcare costs I just break out into something comparable to meat sweats...

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm Every time I hear you guys talk healthcare costs I just break out into something comparable to meat sweats...
Ditto.

I was actually going to post something similar before I saw yours.

I think I might get an ulcer just from reading about American healthcare insurance plans.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm I think I might get an ulcer just from reading about American healthcare insurance plans.
Starting today, me too. :( . I was happy in my ivory tower having no way to empathize with the majority of every day Americans.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It is impossible to explain why without diving deeply into politics, but the health insurance marketplace is in for some major upheaval over the next couple of years, and that is deliberate.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm
tjg_marantz wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm Every time I hear you guys talk healthcare costs I just break out into something comparable to meat sweats...
Ditto.

I think I might get an ulcer just from reading about American healthcare insurance plans.
While working at a hospital, particularly in managed care, is a bit of a "job I never wanted to do when I grew up", I do get positively Canadian-like coverage. And I've always wanted to be Canadian.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm It is impossible to explain why without diving deeply into politics, but the health insurance marketplace is in for some major upheaval over the next couple of years, and that is deliberate.
The shit they're doing to deny Medicaid coverage to eligible individuals is shocking. ACA is inevitably next.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We had United Healthcare drop its high premium, $5,000 family out of pocket maximum coverage PPO plan. Instead, we get their high deductible HSA which costs 1/2 as much but has a $8,000 out of pocket in-network maximum. With two insulin-dependent kids, we get to pay the maximum cost in the months of June-July before our insurer kicks in any money. Then we'll see where we end up as the out of network out of pocket max is $20,000. At best, I'm out $3,000 plus the time value of my money.

The new shitty insurance plan is courtesy of Ohio fucking Republicans where the new law firm's HQ is located. Wife is not pleased, and this takes a big bite out of the pay raise from changing firms.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm It is impossible to explain why without diving deeply into politics, but the health insurance marketplace is in for some major upheaval over the next couple of years, and that is deliberate.
The shit they're doing to deny Medicaid coverage to eligible individuals is shocking. ACA is inevitably next.
They have already kicked the legs out from under the ACA. You know that whole time they told us it was failing? Well, it wasn't, but the recent tax reform made sure that it will. There's a lot of inertia in the system, so it will take a couple of years for that to become obvious.

What that means is that the young and healthy will be able to buy cheap insurance that covers next to nothing, while those of us who actually need full coverage will have to either pay skyrocketing premiums or go without. The uninsured rate has already increased by 3%.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:08 pm
Ditto.

While working at a hospital, particularly in managed care, is a bit of a "job I never wanted to do when I grew up", I do get positively Canadian-like coverage. And I've always wanted to be Canadian.
Another one that baffles me is you can only go to certain hospitals or some such as far as I understand. Mind blown.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Oh, you can go to any hospital. It's just that some will be more expensive than others, as they haven't contracted to accept certain payment levels from the insurance company. And then the doctors might bill you directly for the remaining balance.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:33 pm Oh, you can go to any hospital. It's just that some will be more expensive than others, as they haven't contracted to accept certain payment levels from the insurance company. And then the doctors might bill you directly for the remaining balance.
Hey, we're on track to have the bills relating to our daughters birth paid by her second birthday! Then we can start putting that payment into a college fund.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:30 pm The new shitty insurance plan is courtesy of Ohio fucking Republicans where the new law firm's HQ is located. Wife is not pleased, and this takes a big bite out of the pay raise from changing firms.
My new small in Michigan network, woe be to you if you venture outside of network, so you better figure that shit out ahead of time even though we're a PPO, but still way more costly than we had assuming you stay inside the network, and then onus is now on you figure that shit out, keep it straight, comparison shop, record keep, report and reimburse, is not something I am looking forward to. Alternatively, I can take their preimium plan, which does not involved pay/reimburse from HRA but has a smaller network of doctors and larger in network and out of network out of pocket max. Oh BTW those copay that doubled? they also no longer contribute to your out of pocket max total.

Again, I can't blame the company. I praised them so much for what we had. But it sucks. Bad. And it's meaningful enough that it's employment re-evaluation changer. Part of the reason I go through the misery I go through is for the unmatched level of health care I've been receiving. It's a tough pills to swallow.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I thought my insurance was expensive at 1600$ per year. Guess I'll stop bitching :?
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:11 pm Another one that baffles me is you can only go to certain hospitals or some such as far as I understand. Mind blown.
The simple version is that insuances create networks by contracting with hospitals. If a hospital is not contracted, the insurance has no control over the cost there so patients under that insurance are discouraged from going to those hospitals. Either by no coverage or greatly reduced coverage.

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am low-income because I am barely employed by my dad's company and I live at home. But I prefer to pay for my own insurance under Affordable Care Health Act. 30 bucks a month I can afford. Then after 4 months they suddenly disenrolled me. Apparently because I may qualify for Medi-Cal (California's low-income healthcare) they are disenrolling me from ACHA and forcing me to go on Medi-Cal, which is forcing me to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork I'd MUCH rather not deal with.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:11 pm Another one that baffles me is you can only go to certain hospitals or some such as far as I understand. Mind blown.
The simple version is that insuances create networks by contracting with hospitals. If a hospital is not contracted, the insurance has no control over the cost there so patients under that insurance are discouraged from going to those hospitals. Either by no coverage or greatly reduced coverage.
Sorry I didn't mean baffles me in that I had no understanding of it. Baffles me that it's even a thing. :/
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Vorret wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:22 am I thought my insurance was expensive at 1600$ per year. Guess I'll stop bitching :?
I currently pay $1,600 a month for a $5k deductible Blue Shield plan for me, the wife and 1 kid.

My oldest is on MediCal Insurance, which thankfully she hasn't had to use much but it also costs very little. Next year my wife can go on Medicare and my kid will be too old for me to cover so I will just have to find the cheapest plan for myself. Thankfully as of now I require no drugs and healthy.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My parents are on Medicare. My dad recently went to the ER and they put him in observation. All their friends were telling them they would get screwed since "the hospital gets to charge you whatever they want for observation. Tell the doctor to admit you!" :grund:

Mom called in a panic, not about dad being in the freaking hospital but over a potential bill. They have a Cadillac plan F (that I insisted on) so I told her not to worry. But that's the reality of our system. Dad was undergoing pulmonary tests and wondering if he'd have to make an IRA withdrawal.

MYT
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Scuzz wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:10 pm
Vorret wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 10:22 am I thought my insurance was expensive at 1600$ per year. Guess I'll stop bitching :?
I currently pay $1,600 a month for a $5k deductible Blue Shield plan for me, the wife and 1 kid.

My oldest is on MediCal Insurance, which thankfully she hasn't had to use much but it also costs very little. Next year my wife can go on Medicare and my kid will be too old for me to cover so I will just have to find the cheapest plan for myself. Thankfully as of now I require no drugs and healthy.
I have a 50$ deductible for *some* treatments (ie: Dentist, massages, meds, etc) but obviously nothing if it's urgent care at the hospital.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Vorret wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 pm I have a 50$ deductible for *some* treatments (ie: Dentist, massages, meds, etc) but obviously nothing if it's urgent care at the hospital.
obviously... heh.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:32 pm My parents are on Medicare. My dad recently went to the ER and they put him in observation. All their friends were telling them they would get screwed since "the hospital gets to charge you whatever they want for observation. Tell the doctor to admit you!" :grund:

Mom called in a panic, not about dad being in the freaking hospital but over a potential bill. They have a Cadillac plan F (that I insisted on) so I told her not to worry. But that's the reality of our system. Dad was undergoing pulmonary tests and wondering if he'd have to make an IRA withdrawal.
Being admitted for observation without being admitted on an excellent Cadillac plan cost me 800 for the room alone, then the "small" bills came in one at a time. Admitted would have been fully covered. ER would have been $150. Admitted for observations for 12 hours, IIRC, was at least $1200 out of pocket. Probably more. I try to put it out of my memory with only "lesson learned" not redacted.

I can't speak to your father's plan but "admitted for observation" has been insurance nightmare for everyone I've personally talked to exposed to such a thing, no matter network or coverage or hospital system in Michigan. it's a form of limbo where insurance expectations go out the window and you likley end up maxing out your co-insure.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:02 pm
Isgrimnur, Sep 21, 2016 wrote:And for cross reference purposes (pay periods are 2 weeks):

Self $35/period (my selection)
+ kids $177.74
+ spouse $225.83
+ spouse and kids $356.18

And again, spouse coverage is not available if coverage is available through my wife's work, which it is.
+ kids $190.10
+ spouse $241.56
+ spouse and kids $380.90

No increase in OOP maxes ($6k/12k) in network.

Effective November 1st.
This year, they're splitting medical/dental/vision to a la carte. Totalled, the numbers are:

+ kids $203.32
+ spouse $258.39
+ spouse and kids $407.34

No increase in OOP maxes ($6k/12k) in network.

Effective November 1st.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When I have to go to the hospital they only get what medicare covers. I cannot afford anything myself. i look at it as they're already getting 10x - 100x what it should cost from medicare so I dont feel bad. I barely eat.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am i look at it as they're already getting 10x - 100x what it should cost from medicare
That's really not how that works. Doctor's don't turn away medicare patients because they are already too rich.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:22 am When I have to go to the hospital they only get what medicare covers. I cannot afford anything myself. i look at it as they're already getting 10x - 100x what it should cost from medicare so I dont feel bad. I barely eat.
They're not, really. Are you saying that a $1000 a night hospital bed only costs $15-$100? Like between the cost of 2 beers and a cheap motel room for 24 hour skilled care in a secure environment? You'd feel comfortable having a coronary artery stent implanted for $320-$3,200?
One stent alone costs $700. That leaves what, at most minimum wage for the team implanting and observing recovery?

The medicare deductible is only $1,340. Sure that may be a lot more than $0 but it's a ton lower than many deductibles in plans that people pay for. Sure, after 60 days you have a daily copay but that's 60 days of care for $1,340.

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was in a room for 1 hour and was charged I think it was $1200 rent. I coulda paid the docs at a motel for the night and stayed until noon for $80. Ya they charge outrageous prices. I dont think most docs even know what the prices are.

I wouldn't know about those huge super important thing other than my wife's heart surgery. My blasting was about $2000 for 1 hour and I go home. the room was the costliest. Im just saying when they charge Medicare $50,000 they better be happy with that crazy number because I wont have that other $5000 to give them. And I need a kidney surgery soon. Weeee.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:22 pm I was in a room for 1 hour and was charged I think it was $1200 rent. I coulda paid the docs at a motel for the night and stayed until noon for $80. Ya they charge outrageous prices. I dont think most docs even know what the prices are.

Beds are by the day. There is no way to bill for them by the hour. Nor would it be a good practice, honestly.

Next time take the opportunity to get a good nap in. :lol:

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You bitch about health care costs without actually paying? STFU
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:35 pm You bitch about health care costs without actually paying? STFU
You're not getting it. He doesn't pay because of the high price. He's stigginit to 'em.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have probably paid $100k over the last 10-12 years on health insurance and nobody has spent a night in a hospital bed. I guess we lost on that bet.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32 am Got the packet last night.

For the High Deductible plan we are in - () indicate increase/decrease from 2017

Premium - $140/month (+$26 - 23%!)
Individual deductible - $2900 (+100)
Family deductible - $5800 (+200)
Co-insurance after deductible is met - 15% (+5%)
Dental with 2000/year max benefit - $49/month (+$4)

HSA contribution max went up a bit, but I think that limit if federally mandated.

The other plans (another High Dedutible - but less high- and a PPO) also increased, but at a much lower rate.

Not real happy and don't appreciate the notes throughout the packet that while the increases are high, they are still less than the companies we consider competitors for our talent.
Just finished signing up for this year.

Premium - $145/month (+$5 )
Individual deductible - $2900 (+0)
Family deductible - $5800 (+0)
Co-insurance after deductible is met - 20% (+5%)
Dental with 2000/year max benefit - $85/month (+$0 - something must have been off last year because they claim no change for this year)

I also increased my HSA contribution $25/month. With the company contribution, I'm now $1600/year from maxing it out. So another 5 years or so and I will probably be able to max it out.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm I have probably paid $100k over the last 10-12 years on health insurance and nobody has spent a night in a hospital bed. I guess we lost on that bet.
I'll take losing that bet any time.

MYT