Immigration Policy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Immigration Policy

Post by Skinypupy »

Wait, so the woman who adopted two kids from Russia and one from Guatemala is now openly speaking out against legal immigration?

Good luck explaining that one to the kids when they're older.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

More to file under "it's ok when we do it..."
First lady Melania Trump's Slovenian-born parents were sworn-in as U.S. citizens Thursday, benefiting from a path to citizenship known as family-based immigration that the president and others have derisively dubbed "chain migration."
The AP writes that arriving at the ceremony, the Knavses "slipped in and out of a side entrance at a Manhattan federal building flanked by Department of Homeland Security police. Some workers inside didn't know what was going on."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I like the additional implication that the process may have been greased for them. Must be nice.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am Wait, so the woman who adopted two kids from Russia and one from Guatemala is now openly speaking out against legal immigration?

I'm not in a position to tell white nationalists their business, but shouldn't Ingraham adopting a Guatemalan kid be disqualifying in terms of her standing among white nationalists on this? Isn't she part of the problem, as she is defining it?
Black Lives Matter.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

She can always fall back on the old civilizing the savages angle.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:46 am More to file under "it's ok when we do it..."
First lady Melania Trump's Slovenian-born parents were sworn-in as U.S. citizens Thursday, benefiting from a path to citizenship known as family-based immigration that the president and others have derisively dubbed "chain migration."
The AP writes that arriving at the ceremony, the Knavses "slipped in and out of a side entrance at a Manhattan federal building flanked by Department of Homeland Security police. Some workers inside didn't know what was going on."
I think it can also go under the 'just when I thought they couldn't dumbfound me again...they did...again' category.

Not as neat and tidy as your's tho...I'll have to work on that.
I am kind of sad to say I'm not shocked by this whole dynamic, I'm becoming numb to this administration. But this is pretty disgusting.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am Wait, so the woman who adopted two kids from Russia and one from Guatemala is now openly speaking out against legal immigration?

I'm gonna say something a little radical here....
First however, I'd like to say I don't agree with her tone or her implications (and they're pretty heavy handed implications...she's not going for subtle with pictures of brown skinned people climbing walls). 🙄

Giving Ingraham the benefit of the doubt, which I know she absolutely does not deserve, but that our country does, I'm going to choose to believe that she was talking about people who move to America but don't become 'Americans'. That aspect of her diatribe I can sympathize with. I don't give a rat's behind about the demographics of it all but I do want people who move to America to adopt our cultures and norms. Just like I would do if I moved to France or Indonesia.
And don't get me wrong, I would totally still celebrate the 4th of July no matter what country I lived in, same for turkey day and Christmas and I'd still watch football. But..I'd dang sure learn French as fast as I could, and I'd get behind the French men's national soccer team and make a sure point of learning their cultural highpoints asap. I could still be an American living in France while also being a Frenchman; maybe a poor imitation but at least giving an honest effort.

If that's her point, yeah ok I can be on board with that. No friggin clue how you ensure that happens...I'm pretty sure you can't. It just needs to happen organically and in that case its up to those of us already living here to help new immigrants become more American. If we aren't willing to help...then I think you get what we have now. And that is America has gone from the melting pot where we assimilate all of these other cultures and norms and the whole thing gets better because of it, to now we're a pot of stew with lots of very distinct blobs of stuff scattered all throughout and some of it works well together and some of it doesn't.

But back to Ingraham...Yeah I know none of this was her point. She was just dogwhistling and she got me trying to justify her words. Sad!
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

GungHo wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 am

First however, I'd like to say I don't agree with her tone or her implications (and they're pretty heavy handed implications...she's not going for subtle with pictures of brown skinned people climbing walls). 🙄

Giving Ingraham the benefit of the doubt, which I know she absolutely does not deserve, but that our country does, I'm going to choose to believe that she was talking about people who move to America but don't become 'Americans'. That aspect of her diatribe I can sympathize with. I don't give a rat's behind about the demographics of it all but I do want people who move to America to adopt our cultures and norms. Just like I would do if I moved to France or Indonesia.
I’d like to address the “become Americans”. It’s largely a myth. It always has been a myth. People didn’t come over, snap their fingers and become Americans. They have always (most of the time), come over in groups, stayed within those groups, had kids, those kids learned English growing up, spent time divided between two cultures and had kids who became fully immersed in the “American” culture while even than retaining aspects of their grandparent’s culture. It takes a generation or two to grow into a culture, especially one that is very different from the orignial.

The idea that we should expect people to come here and somehow “be American” is unrealistic. People will come here and do the best they can.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Nothing she says is about what actual immigrants do or should do differently.

It is 100% about boosting her white racist audience's racism.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Fitzy wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:47 am
GungHo wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 am

I’d like to address the “become Americans”. It’s largely a myth. It always has been a myth. People didn’t come over, snap their fingers and become Americans. They have always (most of the time), come over in groups, stayed within those groups, had kids, those kids learned English growing up, spent time divided between two cultures and had kids who became fully immersed in the “American” culture while even than retaining aspects of their grandparent’s culture. It takes a generation or two to grow into a culture, especially one that is very different from the orignial.

The idea that we should expect people to come here and somehow “be American” is unrealistic. People will come here and do the best they can.

I disagree that it necessarily takes generations(my uneducated guess at that is you're probably usually right)...I could talk about several anecdotal experiences I've had in my life that say otherwise, but that's all they are. Nothing that would help prove the point one way or the other. I could also point to a bunch of personal experiences with people who never 'became American' even after 40 years. But then what is 'being American' anyway?

And really Holman's point is the larger one: that Ingraham was just yelling thru the megaphone to galvanize the racists and keep them distracted from the important things happening in our world.
Also that I'm foolish for even trying to create a conversation around her talking points because I knew damn well exactly what she meant when she said them. Just not possible to discuss it in any really meaningful way when the basis is mired in racism, dogwhistling and distraction.
OR

-Hiccup
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

GungHo wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:27 amJust like I would do if I moved to France or Indonesia.
If you move to Indonesia, you're not going to be Indonesians no matter how hard you try to adopt the culture. :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Most studies have shown that in the US most immigrants are assimilated within 2 to 3 generations. It works pretty well in the US - we generally don’t have the problems like France with large ghettos of unassimilated migrants. Most people that come here want to become Americans with all that entails.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:58 am Most studies have shown that in the US most immigrants are assimilated within 2 to 3 generations. It works pretty well in the US - we generally don’t have the problems like France with large ghettos of unassimilated migrants. Most people that come here want to become Americans with all that entails.
Well, that's part of the problem though, isn't it? Some people can't bear assimilated brown or black or whatever.

"By 2049 there will be no more natural blondes!!!!!!!!!"
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

“There Won’t Even Be a Paper Trail”: Has Stephen Miller Become a Shadow Master at the State Department?
For the past year, Miller has been quietly gutting the U.S. refugee program, slashing the number of people allowed into the country to the lowest level in decades. “His name hasn’t been on anything,” says a former U.S. official who worked on refugee issues. “He is working behind the scenes, he has planted all of his people in all of these positions, he is on the phone with them all of the time, and he is creating a side operation that will circumvent the normal, transparent policy process.” And he is succeeding.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Edited, wrong thread. Oops!
Last edited by dbt1949 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:29 pm “There Won’t Even Be a Paper Trail”: Has Stephen Miller Become a Shadow Master at the State Department?
For the past year, Miller has been quietly gutting the U.S. refugee program, slashing the number of people allowed into the country to the lowest level in decades. “His name hasn’t been on anything,” says a former U.S. official who worked on refugee issues. “He is working behind the scenes, he has planted all of his people in all of these positions, he is on the phone with them all of the time, and he is creating a side operation that will circumvent the normal, transparent policy process.” And he is succeeding.
It's this shit that really worries me. It's the quiet things going on behind the scenes that are having a large impact on people's lives, and being done by appointees that can't be voted out of office until the next Presidential election, and we try and kick their boss out. The only thing that's able to slow this down before then is taking Congress from the GOP, and maybe get some oversight happening.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico: Stephen Miller Is an Immigration Hypocrite. I Know Because I’m His Uncle.
Let me tell you a story about Stephen Miller and chain migration.

It begins at the turn of the 20th century in a dirt-floor shack in the village of Antopol, a shtetl of subsistence farmers in what is now Belarus. Beset by violent anti-Jewish pogroms and forced childhood conscription in the Czar’s army, the patriarch of the shack, Wolf-Leib Glosser, fled a village where his forebears had lived for centuries and took his chances in America.

He set foot on Ellis Island on January 7, 1903, with $8 to his name. Though fluent in Polish, Russian, and Yiddish he understood no English. An elder son, Nathan, soon followed. By street corner peddling and sweat-shop toil Wolf-Leib and Nathan sent enough money home to pay off debts and buy the immediate family’s passage to America in 1906. That group included young Sam Glosser, who with his family settled in the western Pennsylvania city of Johnstown, a booming coal and steel town that was a magnet for other hard-working immigrants. The Glosser family quickly progressed from selling goods from a horse and wagon to owning a haberdashery in Johnstown run by Nathan and Wolf-Leib to a chain of supermarkets and discount department stores run by my grandfather, Sam, and the next generation of Glossers, including my dad, Izzy. It was big enough to be listed on the AMEX stock exchange and employed thousands of people over time. In the span of some 80 years and five decades, this family emerged from poverty in a hostile country to become a prosperous, educated clan of merchants, scholars, professionals, and, most important, American citizens.

What does this classically American tale have to do with Stephen Miller? Well, Izzy Glosser is his maternal grandfather, and Stephen’s mother, Miriam, is my sister.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stripes
At least three dozen immigrant recruits who were booted from the U.S. Army after enlisting with a promised pathway to citizenship are being brought back to serve, according to court records filed Monday.

Since Aug. 17, the U.S. Army has reinstated 32 reservists, and revoked discharge orders of another six enlistees who had sued. Another 149 discharges have been suspended and are under review, said Army Assistant Deputy for Recruiting and Retention Linden St. Clair, in the filing.
They had enlisted under the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest program, known as (MAVNI), to increase the number of soldiers with critical language or medical skills.

The reinstatements come weeks after the Army reversed course, suspending the discharges at least temporarily.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Admission numbers for Iraqis who helped the US government and are trying to come to the US as refugees (FY)
2016: ~5,100
2017: 3,000+
This year: 48
These aren't just "Iraqi refugees." These are battlefield translators and others who've risked their lives to help our war.

Reuters: Pentagon raises alarm about sharp drop in Iraqi refugees coming to U.S.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Next stop on the tour: Iowa
Authorities have announced first-degree murder charges against Christian Rivera, 24, in the death of Iowa college student Mollie Tibbets.

Rivera is an undocumented immigrant and led detectives to her body in rural Poweshiek County, according to Iowa investigators.

The charge was filed more than month after Tibbetts went out for a jog and disappeared — and days after investigators searching for the missing Iowa college student said they were focusing their efforts on five locations.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:49 pm These aren't just "Iraqi refugees." These are battlefield translators and others who've risked their lives to help our war.

Reuters: Pentagon raises alarm about sharp drop in Iraqi refugees coming to U.S.
Well, we always knew that Trump has no qualms about stiffing contractors after they complete their work. It's called being smart!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:15 am "By 2049 there will be no more natural blondes!!!!!!!!!"
Ethnic cleansing :naughty:

Looks like blondes are going to become extinct much sooner in South Africa. :wink: :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm not hearing a lot of complaining about the actual farmers being impacted in South Africa.

Hint:. They're not blonde.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

em2nought wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:15 am "By 2049 there will be no more natural blondes!!!!!!!!!"

The suggestion that that is ethnic cleansing is absurd. But I'm sure WP loves the idea.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:18 am

Looks like blondes are going to become extinct much sooner in South Africa. :wink: :wink:
Keep watching Fox News. They'll support any belief you harbor that the white race is endangered!

#WalkAway...FarAway
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Have you heard? Christmas is under attack!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote:Have you heard? Christmas is under attack!
Yes it is. A White Christmas.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 am
Hilariously (or not) I spent some time thinking about that. Unless you mean climate change. I assume baptist churches say a few words to this effect every year, to lesser or greater degrees, depending on the minister. Is this something predominantly black churches also focus on, or is it purely a breitbart/fox news sort of thing?

At a guess, what percentage of christians in the US spend Christmas fuming about how unfair everything is, instead of on love and charity? Does the percentage cross all walks of life? I realize just how much speculation is involved in this question.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 am
Hilariously (or not) I spent some time thinking about that. Unless you mean climate change. I assume baptist churches say a few words to this effect every year, to lesser or greater degrees, depending on the minister. Is this something predominantly black churches also focus on, or is it purely a breitbart/fox news sort of thing?

At a guess, what percentage of christians in the US spend Christmas fuming about how unfair everything is, instead of on love and charity? Does the percentage cross all walks of life? I realize just how much speculation is involved in this question.
I was going for the war on White baby Jesus but I will entertain any link to the lie that is climate change too!

As a Christian, I'd like to mention that my church does dwell on occasion on the unfairness of things but unlike certain news organizations or politicians we tend more on the importance of love, tolerance, generosity and respect to address the unfairness of society. I also think that our definition of unfairness will be a little different from Hannity's or Trump's definition...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Fair enough. It's a pretty unknowable question except for anecdotes and personal experience so I was just speculating.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Immigrant Girl Will Be Deported Because Adoptive Father Missed Deadline While Serving in Afghanistan
In 2013, Army Lt. Col. Patrick Schreiber and his wife put off officially adopting their teenaged daughter, Hyebin, who was born in the Republic of Korea. The reason? He was about to deploy to Afghanistan for a year. When he returned, they put through the paperwork, adopted her, and then started working on her citizenship. But Hyebin had turned 17 in the interim, which is a problem:

The U.S. immigration law cutoff for a foreign-born adopted child to become a naturalized citizen is 16, and on Friday a U.S. District Court in Kansas ruled in favor of U.S. Customs and Immigration Services that there would not be an exception in Hyebin's case. She is allowed to complete her degree in chemical engineering at the University of Kansas, which she will do next year. Then she must return to Korea, Schreiber said Monday.
#MAGA!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

She gonna steal our yobs. Goodbye, womp womp.

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Moliere wrote:Immigrant Girl Will Be Deported Because Adoptive Father Missed Deadline While Serving in Afghanistan
In 2013, Army Lt. Col. Patrick Schreiber and his wife put off officially adopting their teenaged daughter, Hyebin, who was born in the Republic of Korea. The reason? He was about to deploy to Afghanistan for a year. When he returned, they put through the paperwork, adopted her, and then started working on her citizenship. But Hyebin had turned 17 in the interim, which is a problem:

The U.S. immigration law cutoff for a foreign-born adopted child to become a naturalized citizen is 16, and on Friday a U.S. District Court in Kansas ruled in favor of U.S. Customs and Immigration Services that there would not be an exception in Hyebin's case. She is allowed to complete her degree in chemical engineering at the University of Kansas, which she will do next year. Then she must return to Korea, Schreiber said Monday.
#MAGA!
First, is the age cutoff a regulation that was on the books pre-Trump? Second, I certainly don't oppose the adoption and wish them the best but wouldn't one think they would have done some due diligence and make sure about the regulations regarding the this type of adoption?

That said, I hope their appeal is successful since I'm rather liberal in regards to immigration.
Black lives matter!

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 pm First, is the age cutoff a regulation that was on the books pre-Trump? Second, I certainly don't oppose the adoption and wish them the best but wouldn't one think they would have done some due diligence and make sure about the regulations regarding the this type of adoption?

That said, I hope their appeal is successful since I'm rather liberal in regards to immigration.
Brown shirts don't ask for details. It's all outrage all the time.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 pm First, is the age cutoff a regulation that was on the books pre-Trump? Second, I certainly don't oppose the adoption and wish them the best but wouldn't one think they would have done some due diligence and make sure about the regulations regarding the this type of adoption?

Brown shirts don't ask for details. It's all outrage all the time.
Dammit, I guess I'm not invited to the circle jerk. Image
Black lives matter!

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Now here's an interesting nugget buried in a story about the Army's assessment of the immigrant invasion:
High on the list of potential dangers facing US personnel, according to the military’s assessment, is the presence of ‘‘unregulated militia members self-deploying to the border in alleged support’’ to US Customs and Border Protection.

It estimates 200 militia members could show up while troops are in the area.
The real danger may come from right-wing "patriots" with guns.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm Now here's an interesting nugget buried in a story about the Army's assessment of the immigrant invasion:
High on the list of potential dangers facing US personnel, according to the military’s assessment, is the presence of ‘‘unregulated militia members self-deploying to the border in alleged support’’ to US Customs and Border Protection.

It estimates 200 militia members could show up while troops are in the area.
The real danger may come from right-wing "patriots" with guns.
I saw that.

Reading between the lines of the leaked planning document, it's pretty clear that the Pentagon sees this as a distraction with the potential to become a clusterfuck.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It''s almost like they resent being used as a campaign prop.