NHL 2018-19 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

The Meal

NHL 2018-19 Season

Post by The Meal »

Off season currently. Yzerman stepping down as TBL GM. Presser at 4pm Eastern.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: NHL 2018-19 Season

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He had a decent run in TB. Does this mean that Wings GM job finally? I see Holland is signed through 2019.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

1-year in TB left for Yzerman to fulfill (Bob McKenzie thinks he will). Ken Holland extended for 2-years last April.

But sports contracts are made to be broken...
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

President & CEO in Ottawa? After #outwithmelnyk. In spite of? Hometown hero returns?

No?

Seriously, though, Melnyk has long been the focus of fans discontent/outrage. He's perceived to be (and how can he not be when he insists on being front & centre in all messaging) the one calling the shots behind the pending EK65 divorce, as well as the one calling the shots on player signings. Pierre Dorion has been perceived by the fan base as hamstrung by the person he reports to ... the owner, Melnyk. It's never a good situation to be a GM forced to make player moves at the order of the owner. No wonder Stone forced a 1-year contract to take him to UFA and the team is over a barrel trying to trade a league-wide, top 5 player.

At least if we bottom out for a rebuild, another team owns our #1 pick in 2019.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'd imagine OTT's visit to COL will be well attended this year (if only because of that draft pick).
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Dallas Stars win hockey Twitter for this Tyler Seguin extension announcement.

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Athletic: Islanders goalie Robin Lehner opens up about his addiction and bipolar diagnosis: ‘I could not stand being alone in my brain’
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Karlsson trade talks are picking up feels serious this time even Bob mentionned it.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:23 pm The Atlantic: Islanders goalie Robin Lehner opens up about his addiction and bipolar diagnosis: ‘I could not stand being alone in my brain’
The Athletic (which your article is from) and The Atlantic are two different publications.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:oops:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Isgbot can't be perfect all the time!
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

That Seguin video is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

pr0ner, is The Athletic as great as it would appear to be? I haven't signed up for it, but assume it's absolutely in my wheelhouse. (The Atlantic, is absolutely a great publication as well.)

Oh, and congrats to the SJS for winning the EK65 sweepstakes. I had the Sharks as my #1 destination for him this whole summer. The races in the West are going to be fun to watch this season.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

When they launched the Buffalo-specific content for The Athletic, I signed up because they brought on board a ton of the top local talent. I love it, and find it to be worth it. Almost every day ends with me on the iPad, reading through the Bills and Sabres stories and then scanning their national NHL and NFL content.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Meal wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 pm That Seguin video is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

pr0ner, is The Athletic as great as it would appear to be? I haven't signed up for it, but assume it's absolutely in my wheelhouse. (The Atlantic, is absolutely a great publication as well.)

Oh, and congrats to the SJS for winning the EK65 sweepstakes. I had the Sharks as my #1 destination for him this whole summer. The races in the West are going to be fun to watch this season.
I think The Athletic is worth the scratch. They have excellent Flames coverage, and their big soccer and baseball writers are great too (one baseball guy is very interactive on Twitter which has its own appeal). Their attempt to launch something DC centric was not ideal, as pretty much everyone they tried to poach from the Washington Post said no so their DC people aren't real heavy hitters.

There is a big focus there on long form articles and advanced stats, so if you're into that sort of thing I would say sign up for a free trial and poke around a little. If you like what you see it's not too costly to stay signed up.
Hodor.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

EK65 to San Jose. Pierre Dorion gets insurance that he won't be traded to the East. SJ forced to throw in a cookie and a pat on the head to sweeten the deal. Sens fans are thrilled with the return which includes conditional draft picks, two players who could very well crack the lineup, AND two prospects who could, one day, very well crack the lineup.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Jolor wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:09 pm EK65 to San Jose. Pierre Dorion gets insurance that he won't be traded to the East. SJ forced to throw in a cookie and a pat on the head to sweeten the deal. Sens fans are thrilled with the return which includes conditional draft picks, two players who could very well crack the lineup, AND two prospects who could, one day, very well crack the lineup.
I don't think I've heard a single Sens fan being happy about the return, they still don't have a #1 draft pick this year.

at This point they should trade Duschenes as well he's not staying, get a #1 draft pick at the very least and rebuild for real.
Isgrimnur wrote:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Henrik Zetterberg's playing days are over.

Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's too bad. Z was a beast (in the Peter Forsberg mold). On a team finishing 20 points out of a playoff spot, with a back that didn't allow him to practice for the entire second half of the season, Z played 82 of the grittiest games you could imagine. Going into the corners to retrieve pucks, tacking whack after whack from opposition players, and just generally playing beast-mode hockey. I do not begrudge him (or the team hampered by his now-undesirable contract) his retirement in the least. It is a terrible loss for a squad of new players who never got to see the professionalism he showed on the ice (and presumably, in the locker room) for his entire career.

Hank's best known for The Shift (a 5-on-3 PK on the road against the Pens in Game 4 of the 2008 SCF), and we've got a pretty good family story to tell centered around the middle games of those Finals. But not right now.

40 oz for #40.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I loved Hank. He was my favorite Wing for years but he's hung around too long. You can't be "that guy" forever. I can only assume he's earned enough to call it a day. With regard to salaries, I have no idea how to act. Hockey players don't make the cash they do in other sports and by the time your real pay day comes around, it's difficult to knock a player for knowing they will eventually leave a team holding the bag.

I must confess here, I watched zero Wings games last year and am likely to do the same this year unless a free ticket to LCA on a weekend falls in my lap.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A new boss in Dallas:
- Day One of Dallas Stars training camp is in the books at CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho, and it was a day of pace and instruction as new head coach Jim Montgomery began the process of getting players up to speed on how he wants them to play.
Montgomery had the Stars practice in three groups Friday, each one on the ice for 75 minutes. The on-ice subjects for the day were the forecheck and neutral zone forecheck.
The Dallas coach made his point early Friday.

"Be aggressive, make mistakes out of being aggressive," Montgomery told the first group of players as they practiced. "Attack pucks in your area."

Montgomery, who took over the Stars coaching job after establishing the University of Denver as one of the top programs in college hockey, is the third coach for the Stars in three years. He is looking for a middle ground between the ultra-aggressive style of Lindy Ruff and the defense-leaning style of Ken Hitchcock.
"Hey, we're not in a rush to get up ice," Montgomery shouted out during one drill. "We have the puck, so it's timing."

Timing is a key part of what the Stars will do in Montgomery's system.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I haven't seen how the rest of the game went, but did they end up scoring 60 goals combined?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sadly, it only ended up 5-3, Toronto.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Mark me down for a last place finish by the Canucks this year. It's going to be ugly. They have the potential to be epically bad, and this is coming from an optimist.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Moat_Man wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:23 am Mark me down for a last place finish by the Canucks this year. It's going to be ugly. They have the potential to be epically bad, and this is coming from an optimist.
Apparently you're unaware of the dumpster fire that is the Ottawa Senators! The worse part of all that shit-show is they don't even have a 1st round pick next year.

It's bad.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I really think the Sens will finish no lower than 32nd this year.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Vorret wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:34 pm
Moat_Man wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:23 am Mark me down for a last place finish by the Canucks this year. It's going to be ugly. They have the potential to be epically bad, and this is coming from an optimist.
Apparently you're unaware of the dumpster fire that is the Ottawa Senators! The worse part of all that shit-show is they don't even have a 1st round pick next year.

It's bad.
I'm aware of the Sens and the b.s. tornado that is Melynk (too soon for a tornado joke?), but they are ~3 years from a cup final. The Canucks are 3 years from last being in the playoffs. We lost Daniel and Henrik, two of the top three scorers last year. Who is going to pick up that slack? Some of the kids might but defensively we are going to be B-A-D. It's going to be so bad that I'm interested.

At least they can't underperform in my view. :)
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I know it's the pre-season but a 6-0 rout by Edmonton. Ugh.
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/game/vancouver-c ... s-20180925
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sabres, Knights, Stars.

And if I have to pick a Metro team, it would be the Blue Jackets.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

20 games suspension for Tom Wilson.
Well deserved.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Vorret wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:59 pm 20 games suspension for Tom Wilson.
Well deserved.
Video
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Way to go, Ottawa!
What’s the best way to get fans fired up for an NHL home opener?

Hold up — save your breath. Because whatever you are thinking is wrong.

Instead the answer is gigantic, inflatable balls falling from the rafters to be thrown, punched and kicked amongst fans.

The Ottawa Senators must have heard that large balls were all the rage when they planned a pregame show to remember against the Chicago Blackhawks at the Canadian Tire Centre on Thursday night. While the music was blaring and the light show amazed audiences during the pregame, dozens of spherical injury hazards fell from the sky, striking victims that weren’t paying attention — or had just underestimated the projectiles’ size and weight.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Cam Ward will not be the one to lead us to the promised land.
We gonna need some help........and not the Crawford kind.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Took my daughter up to Buffalo this weekend for her first Sabres and Bills home games. Both teams won (a rare enough event), but it felt like Hutton was doing his best Hasek impression for us. A very entertaining night. The Bills won, but were a *lot* less entertaining.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I was wondering why Drew Brees was in the NHL thread, and then I saw the rest of the headline. That's good.
Hodor.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Buffalo looks to be an entertaining team this year. I hope they can make a run at one of the wildcard spots. I'm not as pro-Eichel as many others, but they've got lots of other pieces coming into focus. Hopefully my Wings can make an honest rivalry out of things in the next few years.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rittich knows it's over in OT when Johnny Hockey gets a breakaway.

Hodor.