Trump Trade War

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by hepcat »

You'll get 20 minutes. We like to beat a dead horse long after it's shuffled off its mortal coil.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
^Not Bono, if anyone was wondering...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Trade War is expanding on the home front.
After months of waging a behind-the-scenes war against President Donald Trump’s trade tariffs that have escalated far beyond what business groups once imagined, more than 60 U.S. industry groups are launching a coalition on Wednesday to take the fight public.

Emergence of the group, Americans for Free Trade, comes after Trump has warmed to the use of tariffs, implementing billions of dollars worth in an effort to use them as a threat to win concessions or in the belief they will create U.S. jobs.

“A lot of other interest groups thought they wouldn’t go this long or go this deep, but the layering effect (of tariffs) has finally gotten everyone to say: ‘Enough is enough,’” said Nicole Vasilaros, the top lobbyist for the National Marine Manufacturers Association, whose members are weighing laying off workers after seeing costs rise as much as 35 percent.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

New-and-improved, with 10% more winning 50% of the time!
President Trump has decided to impose tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods, two people briefed on the decision said, one of the most severe economic restrictions ever imposed by a U.S. president.

An announcement is expected to come within days, the people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to discuss internal plans.

The new tariffs would apply to more than 1,000 products, including refrigerators, air conditioners, furniture, televisions and toys. These penalties could drive up the cost of a range of products ahead of the holiday shopping season, though it’s unclear how much.

Apple said recently its Apple Watch, AirPods, MacMini and a variety of chargers and adapters would be caught in the tariff war. “Our concern with these tariffs is that the U.S. will be hardest hit, and that will result in lower U.S. growth and competitiveness and higher prices for U.S. consumers,” the company said in a letter to the U. S. Trade representative. “The burden of the proposed tariffs will fall much more heavily on the United States than on China.”

Trump has ordered aides to set the tariffs at 10 percent, likely leading to higher prices for American consumers. These tariffs are paid by U.S. companies that import the products, though they often pass the costs along to U.S. consumers in the form of higher prices.

The U.S. imports roughly $500 billion in Chinese goods each year, and — combined with existing tariffs — these new penalties would cover half of all goods sent to the U.S. from China each year.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, it was a fun expansion while it lasted.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There goes the US auto industry and many other things. China is sitting down to the buffet now. Idiot.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:00 pm Well, it was a fun expansion while it lasted.
Drumpf really does want to destroy everything with Obama's name on it, doesn't he?

It would be nice if those who received the tax cuts were also the hardest hit by the tariffs, but the little guy should be so lucky.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:45 pm There goes the US auto industry and many other things. China is sitting down to the buffet now. Idiot.
Both sides of any trade war are gonna suffer.

Everyone gets hurt, no one wins, and if we're lucky, everyone comes back to the table to end the insanity.

Drumpf isn't dealing with local contractors who live or die during the next 90 day credit cycle any more.

He is terrible, but at least Americans can take solace in the fact that he's hurting everyone, not just them.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

GreenGoo wrote: He is terrible, but at least Americans can take solace in the fact that he's hurting everyone, not just them.
_That’s_ supposed to make me feel better?
geezer

Post by geezer »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:56 am
Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:45 pm There goes the US auto industry and many other things. China is sitting down to the buffet now. Idiot.
Both sides of any trade war are gonna suffer.

Everyone gets hurt, no one wins, and if we're lucky, everyone comes back to the table to end the insanity.

Drumpf isn't dealing with local contractors who live or die during the next 90 day credit cycle any more.

He is terrible, but at least Americans can take solace in the fact that he's hurting everyone, not just them.
Yeah.. no. I take zero solace in that. In fact, the lack of care for anyone that’s not “us” disgusts me.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If it wasn't for schadenfreude, I wouldn't have any freuds at all.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll just point out that Drumpf is on the cusp of a full fledged trade war with America's largest exporter while simultaneously and intentionally refusing to make a trade agreement with America's largest importer.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. Playing chicken with the American economy is exactly what he was hired to do.

Winning?

Edit:. Too many "the"s
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

He is literally a child who found a new toy that he can't wait to use. "Oooh, 'tariffs'...these look like fun. Let's go play with them. And they're fun to say....tariffs, tariffs, tariffs. Wheeeee!" The fact that economies and livelihoods are in the balance seem a far distant concern to him.

Shocking, I know. :x
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trump hates American companies...especially the auto industry.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Whenever this is over one of the first things I want Congress to do is take back this power. That one fucking moron can tax the entire economy at his moronic whim is beyond imbecilic. I'm also wondering when the business community decides that they've got enough out of this guy and turns on him because it is almost baffling how this is playing out right now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not to alarm you but this same single moron has nukes at is disposal.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As more time passes, Republicans decide to take one from Drumpf's book and have started "negotiating" in the media. Some have publicly begun to blame Canada for the lack of an agreement.

Feel free to add your own South Park image.

Tick Tock.

No conflict resolution mechanism in place? It's like drumpf is telegraphing his intent to screw us. Heck of a negotiator.

I think there's little chance you get more access to our dairy market than you already have.

a) You're already running a dairy surplus in our market
b) Your dairy market is glutted with so much production you're destroying your own farmers.
c) Combine a) and b) and our farmers would be destroyed.

We want a trade agreement with the US. Badly. We won't agree to destroy ourselves to get it though.

What a complete clusterfuck.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As for China, I'll just remind everyone that China doesn't pay the tariffs. Tariffs are paid by the importers and/or American public. If importers/Americans want the stuff, they can have the stuff, at significantly increased costs. China doesn't pay jack. I suppose they might start subsidizing their industries, but America was complaining about how unfair that was before the tariffs. What motive do they have to stop now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 pm As for China, I'll just remind everyone that China doesn't pay the tariffs. Tariffs are paid by the importers and/or American public. If importers/Americans want the stuff, they can have the stuff, at significantly increased costs. China doesn't pay jack.
Hats the idea though, isn't it? Not to make China pay directly but to make their goods overpriced and vulnerable to lower-priced American competition. Not that it works, but that's the idea.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:12 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:50 pm As for China, I'll just remind everyone that China doesn't pay the tariffs. Tariffs are paid by the importers and/or American public. If importers/Americans want the stuff, they can have the stuff, at significantly increased costs. China doesn't pay jack.
Hats the idea though, isn't it? Not to make China pay directly but to make their goods overpriced and vulnerable to lower-priced American competition. Not that it works, but that's the idea.
You and I know that. Tell that to drumpf, who is busy telling the world that China is "already paying Billions in tariffs!".

Does he even know how tariffs work? Does he care? Do the American people care? Particularly dangerous are tariffs on raw materials, which cause a chain reaction all throughout US manufacturing. He might save steel makers for example, but destroy multiple other industries in the process. Canadians have a vested interest in the US economy doing well. Hell, half our retirement money is invested in it. :D

You understand all that. I really just wanted to counter drumpf's claims that "China is paying America billions!" narrative.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He has proven that you can say whatever the hell you want if people want to hear it. There's also ZERO steel plants opening in the country and yet he touted that they are just the other day.

Quote of what he just posted on his twitter
"One of the wettest we have ever seen from the standpoint of water"

The guy doesn't know how water works and we're supposed to believe he's some trade genius. We may never fully recover from what the idiots have dumped on us.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Maybe he's used to wetness from other liquids.

*nudge, nudge*
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If I thought he cared about paying for the recent tax cut for the oligarchs, I might be tempted to think this is one strategy to buff up the coffers, but nay.

Wait until these things actually start having effects for the big players, whose contracts and prices for the year were in place prior to tariffs going into effect. Should be fun!!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 pm If I thought he cared about paying for the recent tax cut for the oligarchs, I might be tempted to think this is one strategy to buff up the coffers, but nay.
Not quite following here. Do you mean with increased tax revenue from economic growth?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

GreenGoo wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 pm If I thought he cared about paying for the recent tax cut for the oligarchs, I might be tempted to think this is one strategy to buff up the coffers, but nay.
Not quite following here. Do you mean with increased tax revenue from economic growth?
No, importers paying the tariff to customs (aka ‘the coffers’)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ah, of course.

My bad.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have we won the trade war yet?

I wouldn't be surprised if someday China says F it all and bans all US imports. Then other countries follow. Trump with be left holding his mushroom hidden in one hand blowing in the wind.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:18 am Have we won the trade war yet?

I wouldn't be surprised if someday China says F it all and bans all US imports. Then other countries follow. Trump with be left holding his mushroom hidden in one hand blowing in the wind.
Shitgoblin and his mushroom fucknobkin would double down and ban all US exports in order to deprive the world of "the best products produced in the world, the best!"
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

That's the thing that fucking moron doesn't get. The Chinese are willing to pay the price to win. They look down the field and plan. We don't anymore. Everything is today, today, today here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thankfully, Ivanka knew this was coming and pulled out of her Chinese manufacturing deals. But it does mean Trump MAGA hats are going to go up in price.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:05 pm Thankfully, Ivanka knew this was coming and pulled out of her Chinese manufacturing deals. But it does mean Trump MAGA hats are going to go up in price.
$127.95 is a small price to pay to establish your redneck cred. Who cares if the kids can't eat, they are likely as not going to grow up as libruls anyway.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Various analysts opine that the trade war, in its present state, will increase inflation by 0.1 to 0.2 points and reduce GDP by a similar amount. Wall Street is betting that the economy can shrug that off through the middle of next year. After that, the juice from the tax giveaway starts to run thin, the expansion gets wobbly, and all fingers point at Trump's folly.

I'm sure nothing will happen in the interim to upset that scenario, because economists know what they're talking about.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:01 pm I'm sure nothing will happen in the interim to upset that scenario, because economists know what they're talking about.
:D
Drazzil

Re: Trump Trade Wwar

Post by Drazzil »

I think it would be a gift if China banned US imports, because instantly, we would stop buying their stuff and their country would rip itself to pieces within a month. China's whole economy would instantly collapse
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Burning down your own house because it will take your neighbor's with it is not a viable strategy.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:43 pm Burning down your own house because it will take your neighbor's with it is not a viable strategy.
Unless you know you could get the insurance money and didn't want to live there anyway...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Trump Trade Wwar

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:41 pm

I think it would be a gift if China banned US imports, because instantly, we would stop buying their stuff and their country would rip itself to pieces within a month. China's whole economy would instantly collapse
Why would we stop buying their stuff? We are greedy and self interested. Not as a group but as individuals.

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

We CAN'T stop buying their stuff, but they CAN stop buying our stuff. Because they make enough of the parts that they can eventually reverse engineer the rest. China has millions of underserved people. And tanks with the Will to use them. It would be messy for them, but economic collapse for us. When trucks stop arriving at WalMart, then Trump's supporters will turn on him. But Trump is too stupid to realize that.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure. Im almost certain Trump could go to a core supporter home, crap in their mouth and tell them its a good Trump thing, and they will like and agree.