[Movie] Captain Marvel

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: [Movie] Captain Marvel

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 am FINALLY they made a Marvel movie where the hero punches an old lady in the face. I've only been writing to Marvel suggesting that for a decade.
Hepcat, give El Guapo his account back.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let me just finish up his newest thread, "Sex with Marionettes: What I Did this Weekend".
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Love the trailer!

Does anyone know exactly how 1990s these 1990s will be? Is there a Marvel-universe reason for it?

I hope it's not just fodder for grunge and AOL jokes.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Well that certainly looked good! I'm sure we will be there opening weekend, just like we are for every other Marvel movie. Large buttered popcorn, please! :pop:
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In hindsight I should have been more suspicious when the Paste Pot Pete Fan Club e-mail I got asked for OO username and password as part of the subscription process.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm Does anyone know exactly how 1990s these 1990s will be? Is there a Marvel-universe reason for it?

Not just grunge!

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I had that hair, jacket, TShirt. Only by the 90s, I ripped the sleeves off the jacket and painted the L&R logo on the back.

He ball cap is on backwards though and mine said Bad Trips, Inc. (on the back, the front, which would be on the back of my head would have a skull and paddles) I can't tell what hers says.

I did wear a lot of flannel at that time and likely still would if I weren't so fat now resulting in me being so hot all of time. Also I'd be more likely to wear a cigarette advertising TShirt that came free with whatever cheap 2 pack of cigarettes I most recently bought, Winston, Camel, whatever.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:51 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:47 am FINALLY they made a Marvel movie where the hero punches an old lady in the face. I've only been writing to Marvel suggesting that for a decade.
I looked at the poster as well thinking it was Hepcat.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm Does anyone know exactly how 1990s these 1990s will be? Is there a Marvel-universe reason for it?

Not just grunge!

Enlarge Image
Pretty sure I still have that shirt. :oops:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:39 pm Love the trailer!

Does anyone know exactly how 1990s these 1990s will be? Is there a Marvel-universe reason for it?

I assume it is to create the backstory for Nick Fury's Infinity War distress call to her.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Also so she doesn't seem quite so deus ex machina when she swoops into Avengers 4 to save everything.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You are just paraphrasing me
:D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:30 pm
I wasn’t aware I had a history of advocating elderly abuse. Maybe someone has access to MY account.
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:30 pm
I wasn’t aware I had a history of advocating elderly abuse. Maybe someone has access to MY account.
Elderly abuse sounds way more fun than elder abuse.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoops. :oops:

The person who has my account info sure needs to double check what he writes.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Well, for all the interesting discussion here, at least it's not the hottest of hot takes tweets I saw today, where someone got pissed because Nick Fury said more words in the trailer than Captain Marvel.
Hodor.
DD*

Post by DD* »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:18 pm I had that hair, jacket, TShirt. Only by the 90s, I ripped the sleeves off the jacket and painted the L&R logo on the back.

He ball cap is on backwards though and mine said Bad Trips, Inc. (on the back, the front, which would be on the back of my head would have a skull and paddles) I can't tell what hers says.

I did wear a lot of flannel at that time and likely still would if I weren't so fat now resulting in me being so hot all of time. Also I'd be more likely to wear a cigarette advertising TShirt that came free with whatever cheap 2 pack of cigarettes I most recently bought, Winston, Camel, whatever.
The front of her hat is the Shield logo, I believe.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

:D
LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 am https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gynv ... rvel-dudes

Made me smile.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love Brie. She doesn't take crap from the usual sexist jerks who spring up every time a woman shows up as a lead in a film they consider their own private property.
Covfefe!
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

The release of the trailer caused me to look around Youtube for what people are saying, like "There's an easter egg in this shot..." and I clicked a video that seemed okay. Wow. As soon as he started talking I knew he was in full on bash mode, but it got worse. So I looked at his comments, to see if it was just me. His fans, and it was obvious he had some, were like a brigade of incels. There was an unholy combination of misogyny and fan possessiveness of the material. Clicking on that video was like cleaning up the garage and as you move a tool box, a bunch of cockroaches come roiling out, gah!
disarm

Post by disarm »

New trailer just premiered during Monday Night Football...tons of new footage, and a lot more insight into the plot. Captain Marvel is going to be a major badass and the whole thing looks awesome!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I am want to do I feel the opposite. Probably just me but I think the super hero times are wearing out and the Captain Marvel character is not well enough known or cared for. Like Shazam. I cant see it do well either. From both Shazam and C Marvel Im getting a Shaq Steel vibe.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 pmCaptain Marvel character is not well enough known or cared for.
I...don't think that's true at all, at least from the comic book world. The Guardians of the Galaxy were about as niche as you could get, and they turned into movie blockbusters.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 pm From both Shazam and C Marvel Im getting a Shaq Steel vibe.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL WUT?
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and proclaim that Daehawk's premonition will be proven not to match the reaction of the cinema-going public.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I am sooooo excited for this. I didn't take my daughter to see Wonder Woman because....DC.... and there was always the possibility it was going to be typical DC gloom and doom and boredom (I'm glad I was wrong). But a female-led Marvel movie? Oh hells yeah.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:03 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 pmCaptain Marvel character is not well enough known or cared for.
I...don't think that's true at all, at least from the comic book world. The Guardians of the Galaxy were about as niche as you could get, and they turned into movie blockbusters.
But that was a darker and funny take with a rare comic. Marvel is in between. Its known but not super loved. Its not a funny movie. Then again Shazam is all too funny. Guardians toed the line and it rocked.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe I'll come at it a different way. Are there any Marvel moves that you think are terrible? Because honestly, I can't think of a single one (at least, post- Iron Man). I feel like every single Marvel movie has delivered top-notch entertainment. I've missed a few (still trying to catch up), but I've never watched a single one and thought, "meh".
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:39 pm But that was a darker and funny take with a rare comic. Marvel is in between. Its known but not super loved. Its not a funny movie. Then again Shazam is all too funny. Guardians toed the line and it rocked.
Captain Marvel is super loved in many contemporary comic book circles. Kelly Sue DeConnick's run on Captain Marvel, from earlier this decade, is iconic.

That shot in the trailer of her zooming through space, zapping spaceships left and right, is 100% the Captain I am looking for. Can't wait.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I don't think the superhero thing is worn out moviewise. If I were to use westerns as a comparison, I'd say we haven't even got the superhero equivalent of The Searchers yet, much less the equivalent of Leone's movies or Eastwood's. There's a lot of top notch filmmaking potential that is only just beginning to emerge in these movies.

Which brings me to this new trailer- it's great. I want to see this movie right now. It's like Marvel is somehow, someway, getting better as they move forward. This trailer has everything. A voyage of self discovery, humor, Annette Bening, aliens, space antics, Brie Larson is both normal looking and then scary powerful looking, and Sam Jackson goes back in time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Like I said probably just me. Im sick of life so movies is just part of the hate. I gave up tv 4 years ago one day out of the blue. We had seen a movie or two a year but this year not been able to go. We really wanted to see Bohemian Rhapsody but haven't been able to and dont see a way and will miss it. So Im dropping movies too. Im done.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:03 am Like I said probably just me. Im sick of life so movies is just part of the hate.
We know. We just expect you to pre-filter your declarations if you suspectare they are born from your personal hate. I mean, feel free to do/share whatever (I don't aim to supress) - but... this movie is totally appealing.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 pm Maybe I'll come at it a different way. Are there any Marvel moves that you think are terrible? Because honestly, I can't think of a single one (at least, post- Iron Man). I feel like every single Marvel movie has delivered top-notch entertainment. I've missed a few (still trying to catch up), but I've never watched a single one and thought, "meh".
The first Thor movie put me to sleep both times I tried to watch it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Maybe I'm getting old, but the breakneck pace - even in the trailer - combined with a LOT of CGI kind of makes me cringe. Like the concept, love super-hero movies, think the lead is cool ... I hope it doesn't go the way of Green Lantern.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 pm
Ah, so Captain Marvel is not really punching an old lady in the face for no reason.

Though you would think that the skrull would just stay as an old lady and be like "Captain Marvel just punched me in the face!", and get her arrested, rather than go all monster and justify the punch.
Last edited by El Guapo on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Exodor wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:33 am
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:48 pm Maybe I'll come at it a different way. Are there any Marvel moves that you think are terrible? Because honestly, I can't think of a single one (at least, post- Iron Man). I feel like every single Marvel movie has delivered top-notch entertainment. I've missed a few (still trying to catch up), but I've never watched a single one and thought, "meh".
The first Thor movie put me to sleep both times I tried to watch it.
Same. I've tried to watch Thor 2 twice, and got bored halfway through both times. Thor 3 was really good though.

I also didn't like either of the Iron Man sequels, and thought Dr. Strange, Ant Man and the first Captain America were all 'meh' at best.
Maybe I'm getting old, but the breakneck pace - even in the trailer - combined with a LOT of CGI kind of makes me cringe. Like the concept, love super-hero movies, think the lead is cool ... I hope it doesn't go the way of Green Lantern.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ok, yeah, Thor is definitely the weakest and the Iron Man sequels aren't as good as the original - I'd absolutely agree on all that. But I still think all of the Marvel movies are way above average and certainly better than most anything I've seen from DC.

I think Captain Marvel will differentiate itself by having a story set in the 1990s. For some of us, that was a good time. :D
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:46 am But I still think all of the Marvel movies are way above average and certainly better than most anything I've seen from DC.
Oh, without question. I actively avoid DC films unless the feedback is exceptional (i.e. Wonder Woman, Batman).

I'd also add that every solo Hulk movie has been objectively terrible, although I really like him in Avengers.