Archer Season 7

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

DonaldSilver

Re: Archer Season 7

Post by DonaldSilver »

I'm a spammer who embeds links, have I been banned yet?
johnevan

Post by johnevan »

I access spam.
stessier

Post by stessier »

So is Hulu the only place to get Archer (if I don't have cable)?

I tried Hulu 5 years ago and hated the interface and the ads. Has it gotten any better?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 am So is Hulu the only place to get Archer (if I don't have cable)?
If you can access Netflix Canada :ninja: we have the complete series. They just added season 9 a few days ago.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 am So is Hulu the only place to get Archer (if I don't have cable)?

I tried Hulu 5 years ago and hated the interface and the ads. Has it gotten any better?
The Archer question was one of the reasons that kept me from cutting the cord years ago. It was on NetFlix but google says they left this year.

If it's streaming you want

https://decider.com/2018/07/25/how-to-stream-fx-2/
Seasons 1 through 8 are available on Hulu and FX+. Season 9, known as Archer Dreamland, is streaming on FXNOW and FX+.
The problem is that FX streaming requires cable.

I thought Hulu plus wasn't supposed to have ads. I was considering them in my last round of "do I really need cable?"
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:42 am I thought Hulu plus wasn't supposed to have ads. I was considering them in my last round of "do I really need cable?"
There is an almost ad free version that is $1 more /month. From what I recall, there are still some programs that they run ads on. Not sure if Archer is one of those.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hulu
When you subscribe, you can now choose between our No Commercials plan ($11.99/month) and our existing Limited Commercials plan (that one’s still $7.99/month). You can also add SHOWTIME® to your subscription – no matter which plan you choose. Your Hulu experience is now customizable like never before. It’s TV your way. Like it should be.
FAQ
A small number of shows aren’t included in the Hulu No Commercials plan.

While this list of shows may change, they are currently:
  • Grey’s Anatomy
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Scandal
  • New Girl
  • How to Get Away with Murder

These shows will still stream uninterrupted, but with a short commercial played before and after each episode.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Holy cow - $4 for no commercials (with some exceptions)?!? That makes it a harder question.

Do they allow you to search for shows if you are not signed up? (I'm at work and it's blocked.)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since this seems the most used Archer thread Ill stick the season 11 trailer here.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Holy shit, I thought they said they weren't making any more Archer! This is great!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ARCHER PREMIERES SEPTEMBER 16 ON FX
AVAILABLE NEXT DAY ON HULU
Sterling Archer has returned to the spy world after a three-year coma. While many things changed during his absence, Archer is confident it will take just a little time for him to reset things back to the old ways. The problem: does the rest of the team want that? Everyone else has been doing pretty well and may not be ready for him to throw a wrench in their well-oiled machine.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Caught Napping, the latest Archer episode, is pure classic Archer. :wub:

My favorite joke of the season is one I’m not even sure of its meaning.

Lana (in rampage mode): “I’m going to fill you so full of lead, local children’s test scores are gonna go down!”

I think it means there won’t be enough lead left to make pencils, but even Archer points out Lana is rampaging and isn’t making sense. Still, it was so absurd it made me laugh. Also...Pam and Krieger still rock. That is all.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im guessing you're being sarcastic so Ill not answer.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought of the lead exposure angle but figured that was too obvious/didn’t really work. But maybe I’m wrong.
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:00 pm Caught Napping, the latest Archer episode, is pure classic Archer. :wub:

My favorite joke of the season is one I’m not even sure of its meaning.

Lana (in rampage mode): “I’m going to fill you so full of lead, local children’s test scores are gonna go down!”

I think it means there won’t be enough lead left to make pencils, but even Archer points out Lana is rampaging and isn’t making sense. Still, it was so absurd it made me laugh. Also...Pam and Krieger still rock. That is all.
Pencils do not contain any lead. Pencil 'lead' is graphite.

So here's the explanation of the joke courtesy of the CDC:
CDC.gov wrote:No safe level of lead exposure in children has been identified.

Exposure to lead can seriously harm a child’s health and cause well-documented adverse effects such as:
  • Damage to the brain and nervous system
  • Slowed growth and development
  • Learning and behavior problems
  • Hearing and speech problems
This can cause:
  • Lower IQ
  • Decreased ability to pay attention
  • Underperformance in school
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Pencils do not contain any lead. Pencil 'lead' is graphite.
Yes, I’m aware of that. Hence my aside that it was absurd and didn’t make sense (beyond the fact it IS called pencil “lead”).
So here's the explanation of the joke courtesy of the CDC:
CDC.gov wrote:No safe level of lead exposure in children has been identified.

Exposure to lead can seriously harm a child’s health and cause well-documented adverse effects such as:
  • Damage to the brain and nervous system
  • Slowed growth and development
  • Learning and behavior problems
  • Hearing and speech problems
This can cause:
  • Lower IQ
  • Decreased ability to pay attention
  • Underperformance in school
So it was the obvious one I threw out initially in favor of the more absurd one I felt was SO absurd it was funnier. Ah well. I overthunk it.

Anyway, one other thing I’ve noticed this season is there seems to be an increased amount of name dropping. They’ll name drop some obscure writer, philosopher, actor, whatever as part of an analogy or insult. I mean, it’s something they’ve done to a lesser extent since the show debuted, but it seems to really be increasing lately.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can we get a thread title update?

8/25/21
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going to really miss the truly amazing Jessica Walters. :(
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:10 pm I'm going to really miss the truly amazing Jessica Walters. :(
Amen :(

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:11 pm
hepcat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:10 pm I'm going to really miss the truly amazing Jessica Walters. :(
Amen :(
+1000
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No one can deliver a soul crushing insult like her. Whether as Lucille Bluth or Mallory Archer, she perfected it.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

FXX Renews “Archer” For Season 13
Spoiler:
FXX has renewed its Emmy-winning long-running animated comedy “Archer” for a thirteenth season with eight all-new episodes coming in 2022.

The show is currently in the midst of airing its twelfth season with the seventh episode debuting this week. In that current season, Archer and co. are up against a spy conglomerate known as IIA (International Intelligence Agency).

The renewal follows the passing of co-star Jessica Walter in March. Walter voiced Malory Archer on the series since its first episode and had completed her work on the currently airing twelfth season before she passed.

The loss will reportedly be creatively addressed in the show’s new episodes. Like this season, next season’s episodes will premiere on FXX and be available to stream the next day on FX on Hulu.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:44 pm FXX Renews “Archer” For Season 13
Spoiler:
FXX has renewed its Emmy-winning long-running animated comedy “Archer” for a thirteenth season with eight all-new episodes coming in 2022.

The show is currently in the midst of airing its twelfth season with the seventh episode debuting this week. In that current season, Archer and co. are up against a spy conglomerate known as IIA (International Intelligence Agency).

The renewal follows the passing of co-star Jessica Walter in March. Walter voiced Malory Archer on the series since its first episode and had completed her work on the currently airing twelfth season before she passed.

The loss will reportedly be creatively addressed in the show’s new episodes. Like this season, next season’s episodes will premiere on FXX and be available to stream the next day on FX on Hulu.
I think they should just wrap it up. Archer got progressively less funny after season 5. Apparently the PC police took over because the jokes used to be so raunchy and mean and racey UN PC and now its like... I might get a smirk or two out of season 9 but that's it. And season 8 just sucked.

George Coe's dead, Jessica Walther is dead. Bury it. Soon. One more season to wrap things up then done. Let it die.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've actually thought post-coma Archer has gotten a lot better myself. ;
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I'm just surprised that they are doing another season, because this season almost feels like they are wrapping things up.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:I've actually thought post-coma Archer has gotten a lot better myself. ;
Although the Danger Island episodes were some of my favorites.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:51 am
Blackhawk wrote:I've actually thought post-coma Archer has gotten a lot better myself. ;
Absolutely my favorite, but I left it off because I'm not sure whether that's because it was actually really good, or just because I love the theme (and the source inspiration) so much.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:56 am
Absolutely my favorite, but I left it off because I'm not sure whether that's because it was actually really good, or just because I love the theme (and the source inspiration) so much.
There is source inspiration? That is the season I got stuck on 2 or 3 years ago. I find it sooooooo boring and it makes no sense. What am I missing?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:17 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:56 am
There is source inspiration? That is the season I got stuck on 2 or 3 years ago. I find it sooooooo boring and it makes no sense. What am I missing?
It's a general send-up of a range of period pulps, but was strongly inspired by Tales of the Gold Monkey, and even had a few direct references to it ("It is definitely not a golden monkey!")

stessier

Post by stessier »

I have never heard of Tales of the Gold Monkey and can't imagine Stephen Collins in that role. Was the show any good? Just the intro was enough to make a lot of the Archer I saw make more sense (or at least explain why people would like it).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or here, Archer's plane next to Jake's:
Spoiler:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:33 am I have never heard of Tales of the Gold Monkey and can't imagine Stephen Collins in that role. Was the show any good? Just the intro was enough to make a lot of the Archer I saw make more sense (or at least explain why people would like it).
It ran for one season in... 1981, I think. At the time it was my favorite show in the world, although it was typical 80s cheese. It hit the air right about the same time as Raiders of the Lost Ark, and a lot of people thought it was a cash in (it wasn't - it was in the works before Raiders, and was based on a 1930s film.) It was cancelled mostly due to production costs and mediocre ratings. It was forgotten for a long time, then became a sort of cult classic.

Archer wasn't the only show it inspired:
Spoiler:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Talespin was after my time. Thanks for the history though - maybe I can make it through now. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watched Tales of the Gold Monkey along with Bring'Em Back Alive with Bruce Boxleitner. Tales was by far the better show to me and my favorite at the time. And Marta DuBois woo wooo. Loved it when she played the devil in an ep of Star Trek the Next Generation. RIP.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I recently picked up a DVD collection of TotGM, and it's still a lot of fun. if you're into the genre/tropes.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:33 pm I recently picked up a DVD collection of TotGM, and it's still a lot of fun. if you're into the genre/tropes.
I got that for Father's Day last year. People begged to get it on DVD for years, as the only option prior to that was some fuzzy TV-resolution VHS copies someone had digitized.