[Stardock] Star Control

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: [Stardock] Star Control

Post by GreenGoo »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:55 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:53 pm Both said the storyline is interesting and the writing is great, but the action parts of the game are weak. The resource collecting in particular sounds tedious.
I think a modern reviewer could reasonably claim the same about SC2, so probably not an issue for me. Probably won't take very many Youtube videos to erode any willpower I have to resist at any rate. :P
Every time Daehawk raves about the resource collecting in Starflight, I have to bite my tongue.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Sepiche wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:53 pm Both said the storyline is interesting and the writing is great, but the action parts of the game are weak. The resource collecting in particular sounds tedious.
I think a modern reviewer could reasonably claim the same about SC2, so probably not an issue for me. Probably won't take very many Youtube videos to erode any willpower I have to resist at any rate. :P
No doubt, but you’d expect some improvement after 25 years. My main question is how much of the game is spent resource collecting and how much is spent in space doing fun stuff. Hopefully it’s something like 10/90, but those reviews make it sound like it takes up more more time.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:28 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 pm One negative review on Steam so far - for lack of subtitles. Everything else, :handgestures-thumbup:
Who decides thumbs down based on subtitles? No wonder people get pissed about the steam's review system. Sure, no subs is a con. I personally turn subtitles on for every game I play. But I don't decide whether a game is good or not based on them.

That's asinine.
I hate subtitles and always turn them off. But I think the con review was based on them being stuck on with no way to turn them off.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ok, some quick impressions after 50 minutes of gameplay.

I love the polish. Music and look is very star control. So far I have just explored the our solar system and run into my first alien which kind of introduced the first part of the plot and I'm intrigued. This is a space adventure game and I am looking forward to exploring this universe. Right now my ship is pretty weak but there are a ton of space for upgrades just like the first game. Planets are pretty to look at and some of them are too dangerous for my current landers to land on. Once you get on the planet you just kind of zoom around and collect resources. There are different types of resources which I was able to collect and take back to the Starbase to sell for RUs. I remember in the first game that the different types of resouces had different values but I'm not sure if that is in the case in this game. The planets are not that big so it was pretty simple to zip around and collect stuff. I have no problem with that now.

I did run into one combat situation and I have to say I enjoyed it. Its the same combat as the first game with some tweaks to powers up, worm holes and gravity wells. My current ship is pretty slow and slow turning but has a nice punch with the nuclear weapons (just like the first game) so I enjoyed that as well.

But what is going to keep me coming back is the adventure and exploring the galaxy. I can not recommend the game yet but I see nothing to say this game should be getting bad reviews either. I am thinking this game may well be a winner but lets keep playing to find out.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:06 pm
I hate subtitles and always turn them off. But I think the con review was based on them being stuck on with no way to turn them off.
That's asinine.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scoop
Planets are pretty to look at and some of them are too dangerous for my current landers to land on.
So you can upgrade landers and some places require better ones? And maybe they can be damaged? If so that is a positive.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Daehawk wrote:Scoop
Planets are pretty to look at and some of them are too dangerous for my current landers to land on.
So you can upgrade landers and some places require better ones? And maybe they can be damaged? If so that is a positive.
Yeah I got a warning from my officer that Mercury was too dangerous to land on until I upgrade my landers. I got the sense I could still send the lander down and take a chance which I thought was cool. Mercury did look like a volcanic hell hole from my scans. I have no idea how dangerous it really is. Also I'm not sure how deep the upgrades are for landers.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats cool. Some of the best minerals and animals I got in the original were from hostile planets that damaged my lander. Id pop down just long enough to grab something then hightail it out.
That's asinine.
Whats asinine about not liking text scrolling on your screen when trying to play a game?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:54 pm
Whats asinine about not liking text scrolling on your screen when trying to play a game?
Nothing.

Giving a game a thumb's down because of it, is.

It's like deciding you don't like a book because of the font it was printed in and then telling everyone about it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nah not that bad I dont think. More that you buy a book and every 7th letter is reversed or some such.I dont think Id give it a thumbs down myself though it would annoy me. On a scale to 5 Id knock off a star. As ID said though a hotfix will probably grab that. Though still its a little worrying knowing its in there and they let it slide through. Brings to mind a rush at the end.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:19 am Nah not that bad I dont think. More that you buy a book and every 7th letter is reversed or some such.I dont think Id give it a thumbs down myself though it would annoy me. On a scale to 5 Id knock off a star. As ID said though a hotfix will probably grab that. Though still its a little worrying knowing its in there and they let it slide through. Brings to mind a rush at the end.
How on earth would you even consider giving a negative review because subtitles exist? What does that have to do with whether a game is a good game or not?

The game could be stuck in another language and I wouldn't give it a negative review based on that alone.

This isn't whether it's a con or not. Clearly, it is. It's whether it's a big enough con to take a public crap on the game itself. A thumb's down means different things for different people, but I think we can agree that a thumb's down means it sucks more than it doesn't suck.

Headshakingly ludicrous.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:28 pm
Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 pm One negative review on Steam so far - for lack of subtitles. Everything else, :handgestures-thumbup:
Who decides thumbs down based on subtitles? No wonder people get pissed about the steam's review system. Sure, no subs is a con. I personally turn subtitles on for every game I play. But I don't decide whether a game is good or not based on them.

That's asinine.
That's politics game reviews, man.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:09 am That's politics game reviews, man.
Sure, and it's unreasonable.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 am
Paingod wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:09 am That's politics game reviews, man.
Sure, and it's unreasonable.
No argument there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I don't think the reviews have been bad so far. I think the biggest dig I've seen is about the planet/lander gameplay being bland. I haven't seen that but if I did I think all of these concerns could be addressed by Stardock. I get the sense they are invested in this series. I'm excited to get back at the game when I get home tonight.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Book Review site:

"Just bought Great Expectations. Thumb's down. Has an ugly kid on the cover and he's putting me off my feed every time I go to pick up the book. Pass."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh now if it was in some foreign language and stuck there not only would I rake it in coals Id return it.
I think the biggest dig I've seen is about the planet/lander gameplay being bland.
Thats the part I was watching streamed and yes it was pretty boring. Maybe if I was playing it instead of watching it would be totally different. Still looks liek a fun game with all the rest. I think the exploring and find old long gone stuff is the best in these games.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well never mind on the Ur Quan Masters replay. It doesn't support mouse. No idea how I played it originally. Maybe joystick....which I wont now days.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:27 am Well never mind on the Ur Quan Masters replay. It doesn't support mouse. No idea how I played it originally. Maybe joystick....which I wont now days.
Keyboard works perfectly fine. I think arrow keys, space, enter, and maybe one or two others are all you need.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Sepiche wrote:
Daehawk wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:27 am Well never mind on the Ur Quan Masters replay. It doesn't support mouse. No idea how I played it originally. Maybe joystick....which I wont now days.
Keyboard works perfectly fine. I think arrow keys, space, enter, and maybe one or two others are all you need.
Yep I played the entire game with the keyboard and loved every moment of it.

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

There's a hot-patch out that addresses a few things, and a few others are still being worked on. :)
  • Nerfed the Scryve Cruiser that you encounter after helping the Tywom a bit
  • Planet class balance pass to discourage pointless landings. Worthless planets are now more obviously worthless to discourage new players from trying to pointlessly "grind".
  • Lander and ship cargo values increased to reduce the number of times the player has to return to the ship with their lander.
  • Increased the post-battle rewards
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

2nd Night Impressions. I love it and I think if you enjoyed the first game or just like space adventure games in general it is a buy. I got a bit further into the story and I've been pointed in several directions and a few mysteries to look into. Also, lost a lander trying to get some radioactives. My landers are not upgraded enough.

So, I won a couple more space battles and met a couple more aliens. Voice acting and humor is fun. Again I am early in the game so there may be some repetitiveness I have not run into yet but my sense right now is it a buy.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ratings are averaging very positive but the entire store page reviews are all negative. Every one. I still want it. Looks fun to me.

Positive - 285
Negative - 76
Scoop20906

[Stardock] Star Control

Post by Scoop20906 »

The deeper I make my way into space the more Skryive (spelling?) I run into and they are running down my ship population. Suggestions: don’t head out to quickly.

Also I’ve already lost 4 landers. Lots of ways for them to go boom.

One thing I love in the game is the Captain’s Log. It does an awesome job of capturing game events as I experience them.

You do run into the same conversations as you encounter ships so they thoughtfully include and option the skip dialogue and go straight to ship battle.

Still saying it’s a buy.

DD*

Post by DD* »

Never played any of the predecessors - must have missed them back in the day - but I'm really enjoying the game. I'd give it a buy just based on the experience so far, and I'm not very far into the game at this point.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
RMC

Post by RMC »

Scoop20906 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:09 pm The deeper I make my way into space the more Skryive (spelling?) I run into and they are running down my ship population. Suggestions: don’t head out to quickly.

One thing I love in the game is the Captain’s Log. It does an awesome job of capturing game events as I experience them.

You do run into the same conversations as you encounter ships so they thoughtfully include and option the skip dialogue and go straight to ship battle.

Still saying it’s a buy.
Yeah, I have lost landers a plenty. I finally got a gun mounted to the thing, and have started harvesting the critters as well as the minerals. Are their other ways to make money? I don't mind just doing the mining, but I would really like to be able to do other things. Also, how do you upgrade your lander so you can get some Uranium? If I try to land on the planets where they tell you too, I blow up very quickly..
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

RMC wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:09 pm The deeper I make my way into space the more Skryive (spelling?) I run into and they are running down my ship population. Suggestions: don’t head out to quickly.

Still saying it’s a buy.
Yeah, I have lost landers a plenty. I finally got a gun mounted to the thing, and have started harvesting the critters as well as the minerals. Are their other ways to make money? I don't mind just doing the mining, but I would really like to be able to do other things. Also, how do you upgrade your lander so you can get some Uranium? If I try to land on the planets where they tell you too, I blow up very quickly..
You can upgrade your landers on the ship module screen. It is kind of hidden but if you select the lander module slots (above and below the main cargo slots) and scroll down you will start to see modules that protect against the bad stuff. I don't know what triggers them to appear. Maybe meeting more races or having more RUs. Still, I got lucky. I went south on the map and managed to find a stable world that had Uranium. I am also finding crashed ships that I can add to my fleet as well as other little mission items. Exploring is worthwhile even if the planet skimming is a little bland. I often scan a planet and if I do not seen an artifact from orbit or if the minerals are all 1 RU or 5 RUs I just move on to the next.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

RMC, are you harvesting lifeforms or just shooting them and collecting the meat?

RMC

Post by RMC »

Scoop20906 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:56 am RMC, are you harvesting lifeforms or just shooting them and collecting the meat?
Oh, just shooting them and collecting the meat. I wish/hope that their is a way to stun and collect them in the future.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

RMC wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:15 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:56 am RMC, are you harvesting lifeforms or just shooting them and collecting the meat?
Oh, just shooting them and collecting the meat. I wish/hope that their is a way to stun and collect them in the future.
Ok, me too. I do not think I can sell the meat yet either. It seems you can not sell it at the Star Bases.
Last edited by Scoop20906 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Broke down and started playing this last night. It hits most all the notes from SC2 for better or worse and does a good job of updating the interface. As someone mentioned, just having the captains log alone to keep track of all the places people tell you to go is intoxicating compared with the pages of notes I used to have to take in SC2.

Combat doesn't feel too bad so far for my old reactions, and it looks like they also have a module you can add later to let the AI fight for you, but no idea if it's competent.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I'm enjoying it. The writing is great. The combat is good; I appreciate that each of the species has several classes of ships, so it's more varied than it might otherwise be. Collecting resources on planets is pretty ho-hum, but I can't imagine that they could have made it any other way without making it a bigger part of the game than it probably needs to be. All in all, it's a pretty solid interpretation of SC2, which is all I wanted out of it anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does it keep up with stuff for you and take notes and such? Like Im trying to play SC2 and it doesn't keep anything. Im told a planet location and if I dont write it down then f it I have no idea where it was.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 pm Does it keep up with stuff for you and take notes and such? Like Im trying to play SC2 and it doesn't keep anything. Im told a planet location and if I dont write it down then f it I have no idea where it was.
Ok, first there is a pretty good captain's log that tracks all the story based interactions. For example, if you are told to go to a certain race's homeworld, it will show up in the log. You can click on it and it will even set up autopilot to take you there.

Second, there is a quests tab that tracks things pretty well.

Third, you have the star map and this takes a little bit of work but replaces the need for paper notes. If you are out exploring and you happen upon world that has an artifact on it but you do not have a lander capable of landing, you can select the planet and add a note to come back later. This takes the place of written notes.

The system works out pretty well.

Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 pm Does it keep up with stuff for you and take notes and such? Like Im trying to play SC2 and it doesn't keep anything. Im told a planet location and if I dont write it down then f it I have no idea where it was.
C'mon, don't be such a delicate gaming snowflake; Star Control II was first released almost 26 chuffing years ago, so getting yer knickers in a knot because it doesn't automate the process of taking notes for you is just daft.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh back then I didn't mind. I wrote it all down. I marked things on my giant paper map. It was fun. Now Im old and grumpy and ADD riddled and theres no way in hell Im doing that now days. Modern games that do it all for me have spoiled me beyond fixing.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 pm Oh back then I didn't mind. I wrote it all down. I marked things on my giant paper map. It was fun. Now Im old and grumpy and ADD riddled and theres no way in hell Im doing that now days. Modern games that do it all for me have spoiled me beyond fixing.
Fair enough. But if that's the case, it seems rather pointless and futile to even entertain the notion of replaying a 26-year-old title like Star Control II if you're that hidebound.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive tried about 40 games this week...nothing sticks.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Started my Origins adventure last night. I dig the little touches, like seeing the sun as a small dot when on Triton, then seeing my ship in orbit when I move around the planet. I haven't tried landing on Mercury yet (If it's like SC2 then I know what happens when your lander isn't upgraded), but I'm hoping it shows a much bigger sun.

I've also learned to pan around the planet before landing, so I can see where things are relative to the landing site. Saves a lot of time when I'm trying to collect the last bits of resource.

It feels like a modernized version of SC2, which is just fine by me.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Scoop20906 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 pm
Ok, first there is a pretty good captain's log that tracks all the story based interactions. For example, if you are told to go to a certain race's homeworld, it will show up in the log. You can click on it and it will even set up autopilot to take you there.

Second, there is a quests tab that tracks things pretty well.

Third, you have the star map and this takes a little bit of work but replaces the need for paper notes. If you are out exploring and you happen upon world that has an artifact on it but you do not have a lander capable of landing, you can select the planet and add a note to come back later. This takes the place of written notes.

The system works out pretty well.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you add notes to the planet?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.