Cops behaving badly

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lorini

Re: Cops behaving badly

Post by Lorini »

That's truly sad. He kills women based on racism. Why can't these people just kill themselves and leave the people they hate alone?
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Lorini wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:56 am That's truly sad. He kills women based on racism. Why can't these people just kill themselves and leave the people they hate alone?
I don't see how an Ortiz killing a Pena can be seen as racism.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I don't understand what you are saying. What is a Pena? And the police said he chose the women because he didn't like their communities. And if that doesn't mean racism to you, that's fine, but it's certainly not rational.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I think it's unclear what the Chief Deputy meant by "community" or whether that's a quote direct from Ortiz. Poor? Prostitutes? Border town? Race? Female?

It sure turns the "they're coming across the border to rape and murder" narrative on it's head.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dallas
Dallas Officer Amber Guyger, who is facing a manslaughter charge after fatally shooting 26-year-old Botham Jean in his Cedars apartment Sept. 6, was fired Monday.

Police said in a news release that she was fired after an internal investigation found she had engaged in "adverse conduct" when she was charged with manslaughter.
Police Chief U. Renee Hall said at a town-hall meeting Tuesday she couldn't fire Guyger before an internal investigation. Her chief of staff, Thomas Taylor, said that an administrative investigation was on hold until a criminal investigation into Guyger was complete.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Why is that manslaughter and not murder?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:52 pm Why is that manslaughter and not murder?
No premeditation or malice.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Has there been any explanation regarding how this happened? I mean - it's really odd to mistake someone else's home for your own. Like - heavily drugged or something?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 pm Has there been any explanation regarding how this happened? I mean - it's really odd to mistake someone else's home for your own. Like - heavily drugged or something?
I'm going to go with drunk until further notice. Would also be helpful to know what the "adverse conduct" was that got her fired. It wasn't the shooting because it happened when she was charged.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

French Counter-Terrorism Cop selling confidential Police data on the Dark Web:
The officer stands accused of selling confidential information such as sensitive documents that made their way into the hands of cyber-criminals, Le Parisien reported last week. Investigators believe the criminals to whom Haurus sold the confidential files used them to create forged documents.

French authorities also say the officer advertised a service to track the location of mobile devices based on a supplied phone number. He advertised the system as a way to track spouses or members of competing criminal gangs. Investigators believe Haurus was using the French police resources designed with the intention to track criminals for this service.

He also advertised a service that told buyers if they were tracked by French police and what information officers had on them.

Officials said they tracked down the real-life identity of Haurus after they seized and shut down the Black Hand portal on June 12, earlier this year. They were also able to track down some of the documents put up for sale on the market based on an individual-specific code that's added to official documents and tracks their history.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Counter-terrorism cop caught through counterintelligence.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:36 pm Looks like Jason Van Dyke's team has opted for a jury trial in the Laquan McDonald shooting trial. He had until today to make the decision to go bench trial or jury. 11 jurors had been selected, from what I have read there is no clear lean to the jury.

CHICAGO — Chicago police Officer Jason Van Dyke decided on a jury trial Friday in the Laquan McDonald case.

A motion to move the trial outside of Cook County is still pending, to be decided Monday.

Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan said the full jury will be sworn in Monday morning. Opening statements are expected to follow.

Lead defense attorney Dan Herbert on Friday again asked Gaughan to strike the current jury panel based on visible protests outside the courthouse that could prejudice jurors. That motion was denied.
And we'll know in an hour whether the city is gonna burn or not.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cops shot at a stolen car that tried to run them over right around when I was picking up the boy from school at work. Choppers everywhere, tac cars racing in all directions...

At first I thought there had been an early acquittal.

Marathon on Sunday too. Imagine if the Cubs were still in the playoffs.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We just got a notice from the twins' preschool about lockdown procedures, if necessary. I'm all good with being prepared, but somehow I don't think we're going to have big protests near a preschool in Bucktown.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Guilty 2nd degree murder.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Ya'll can come out now.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also guilty 16 counts of aggravated assault.

Acquitted on Official Misconduct charges.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:00 pm Also guilty 16 counts of aggravated assault.

Acquitted on Official Misconduct charges.
You'd think misconduct would be the thing to lead to those other counts.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Aggravated assault with firearm is a class X. He's done.

The first time in a long time for a copper to be convicted, or even charged, with on-duty murder. Like 50 years.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I know you're friends with some CPD, LawBeef. Was there a prevailing opinion on this that you could read?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:33 pm I know you're friends with some CPD, LawBeef. Was there a prevailing opinion on this that you could read?
On the verdict? I'll probably find out tonight.

Ahead if today overall it was more mixed than I would have expected but it leaned on the side of JVD. Mostly that someone on PCP is unpredictable and most people have no idea how quick a situation can turn. OTOH some said that they think firing 16 shots is what would do (and may have) do him in.

If I had to define a prevailing opinion? "Can't say unless you were there." That and, "If he gets convicted, make sure you have your CCL."

The FOP blames the city and the mayor. They'll back an appeal no doubt.

It sounds like the aggravated assault charges carry a minimum of 6 years each with minimum of 85% served (not 50% like other stuff). That's what, 80-some years if consecutive?

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:47 pm "If he gets convicted, make sure you have your CCL."
Is this supposed to mean that crime will go up because the police will back off due to fear of being wrongfully prosecuted?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:02 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:47 pm "If he gets convicted, make sure you have your CCL."
Is this supposed to mean that crime will go up because the police will back off due to fear of being wrongfully prosecuted?
Yeah. Mostly that it will be another nail in the coffin of active policing. So no Terry stops, more criminal boldness. I'm in 19 and it's getting crazy (for 19) and RAPs aren't going away. Not that I intend to carry but I do have my CCL.

A few weeks ago I was outside a bar on Roscoe while a friend was having a smoke. An unmarked car pulled up and hit the lights (no sirens). We heard "Hey, no smoking within 15 feet!" Turns out it was a friend of ours just screwing with us and he pulled over to chat. Across the street, there was a place with outdoor seating. A bunch of people out there started yelling at him, making shooting sounds, etc. He was like, "Well, gotta go. Can't be upsetting the locals." And he left.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The more I think about this case, the more I just hope they got it right. I hope the jury got what they needed and made the right decisions. If they did, I'm good.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I suspect they did get this one right. Obviously I wasn't at the trial and didn't see the evidence as it was presented, but I've seen the video enough to have drawn my own conclusions.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I watched the video today a couple times and had no background info on the case. I'm fine with the result.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Our mayor paid a $5m settlement (with city money), before the family even filed suit, to bury that video. When its existence was discovered and pushed for release under FOIA, he delayed until after the mayoral elections. It's also a big reason that he's not running for reelection in February.

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Cops, you can't just shoot people because they are disabled

Again this cop will not have to pay anything, and the taxpayers of Chicago will be on the hook for this. And it's especially bad because again the cop lied.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had to watch that a few times as it's unbelievable. He literally just leans out his window and shoots an unarmed man without any physical provocation whatsoever. He might have been insulting him at most, I don't know, but that's no grounds for what this criminal cop did.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I read the tactical reaponse report and the shooting officer claimed that the victim had a "dark object resembling a gun" in his hand and charged at the officer. Which, when you watch the video, is clearly not true.

It seems hat the copper and his sponsors are clouted so this obviously bad shoot will get brushed aside and the good cops out there will have yet another strike against them every minute they're on the job.

Lots of cop comments here.

The Sgt is a clout baby, he got dumped from a unit into 005 right before the shooting happened.
Sgt nut case got dumped out of narcotics because he was crazy.Gets into this shooting right after. perfect example of how CPD passes along psychos and they never get help.
Met this Sgt at Homan square two years ago. Definitely something wrong with this man. Extremely arrogant and plain rude. Just by his nasty attitude and watching the video I believe he was wrong. The 022nd district is 2 mins from the shooting. He easily could of called in a suspicious person instead of acting cocky and shooting this victim.
Let’s pick a better case to hang our hat on.
This is not the fight to fight.

Looking at the video, this cop appears to do a drive-by shooting, off duty in his personal car, on an unarmed handicapped kid.

Not sure wtf he was thinking, but good riddance.
THAT mope should be charged, and NOT JVD.
Muhammed stated it all happened as he approached the teen. Yet, when investigators and supervisors found all the shell casings inside Muhammed's car, he requested his attorney. Was he stripped like ANY other officer would be? Nope. Was he charged criminally like any other officer would be? Nope. He was hidden in Barb West's office as an Admin Sergeant with full police powers for over a year now - after lying about shooting a lost, mentally challenged kid! West and Johnson should be ashamed of themselves - especially because these videos exist! Now the video comes out for the public to see and what happens? Still nothing! It must be really nice to have have the right connections when everyone else is getting stripped for much, much, much lesser transgressions... What do we call it in Cook County when the police shoot someone? Oh yeah, Aggravated Battery!! We convict the officer and send him to jail, right? And this kid was completely unarmed... Different rules for different people. Don't EVER forget that.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CBS
The NYPD has suspended the use of nearly 3,000 body cameras worn by officers on patrol. According to a release from the NYPD, a Vievu model LE-5 body cam exploded after the officer wearing it noticed the device started to smoke and quickly took it off.

CBS New York reports no one was injured when the camera burst into flames. The department said it's now suspending the use of all LE-5 body cams effective immediately.
There were a total of 2,990 LE-5 body cams were used in 16 NYPD commands around the city. Those officers using the LE-5 have been told to bring the devices back to their precincts and will not have to wear a body cam at this time.
A total of 15,500 police body cams were being used by the NYPD. Officers wearing the Vievu model LE-4 camera will continue to use them. The NYPD says the issue forcing LE-5 cams to be suspended has not affected the other model.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm not gonna say that the battery can't melt or even explode, but so can your phone's battery. Have they suspended the use of cel phones too?

I'd want to see some documentation and confirmation that this is indeed a manufacturing/design flaw before I made this change permanent. Which is what I assume they are doing.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pmHave they suspended the use of cel phones too?
Depends on if they were made by Samsung.
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pmI'd want to see some documentation and confirmation that this is indeed a manufacturing/design flaw before I made this change permanent. Which is what I assume they are doing.
I know some people will fiddle with electronics to create defects. I wouldn't be surprised by this either being a battery defect, or the result of a cop trying to create a battery defect. The police may not want an answer, but you can bet your ass the manufacturer will.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:01 pm I wouldn't be surprised by this either being a battery defect, or the result of a cop trying to create a battery defect. The police may not want an answer, but you can bet your ass the manufacturer will.
Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt, all it takes is one dishonest cop less than enthused about cameras, or even just someone in the union who might not even be a cop/have to wear a camera as long as they find a willing partner, and suddenly 15,000 policemen no longer have electronic eyes following them around.

I get it, being on camera during your work shift sucks. You and thousands of factory workers and high security office workers agree. If anyone else was caught sabotaging the cameras in their workplace though? Gone. Instantly.

I'm sympathetic that working under an electronic eye sucks, and I'm willing (intellectually. Clearly I have no influence on reality) to let this play out in the hopes that it is all in good faith. I have my doubts, but that's not the same thing as being sure, obviously.

If it's a true defect in the camera, I'm glad they don't have to wear them. I don't want things spontaneously lighting on fire while I wear them either.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:36 pm It seems that the copper and his sponsors are clouted so this obviously bad shoot will get brushed aside and the good cops out there will have yet another strike against them every minute they're on the job.
Thank you for reminding me of Mike Royko's classic column on the meaning of clout.
We must try to preserve the purity of Chicagoese and defend against efforts to cheapen one of the world's most beautiful languages.

If we don't, soon people won't understand what a simple Chicago sentence, such as this, means:

"So this beef comes in from a goo-goo that I asked him to make the drop, but just when it looked like I was gonna be vised, my Chinaman clouted for me downtown and it was all squared."

Which, in a foreign language, would mean: A complaint was made by a do-gooder that I solicited a bribe from him, but just when it appeared that I would be fired, my sponsor intervened in my behalf, and the complaint was suppressed in City Hall.

Or as a pious payroller might say: The mayor is my clout; I shall not want.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Prosecutor who sparked Jackson County drug-planting probe resigns as whistleblower
Pumphrey didn’t set out to become a whistleblower. But after sharing her concerns about Wester with higher-ups, she set off a chain reaction that ultimately led to his firing, her resignation and the recent dismissal of nearly 120 cases involving the ex-deputy.

The revelations exposed serious cracks in the criminal justice system in Jackson County. Until Pumphrey’s arrival, it appears no one was closely monitoring Wester’s body camera videos, one of which shows him with possible drugs in his hand before conducting a search of a pickup truck.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The uh, *entire* Arkansas Little-Rock PD? Ouch.
But Hastings’s story isn’t one of a rogue, aberrant cop so much as a glimpse into the police culture of Arkansas’s largest city. Disturbing as Hastings’s disciplinary record may be, other officers in the department have even thicker personnel files. In fact, many of the very officers who trained and supervised Hastings have had lengthy histories of misconduct — including domestic violence, lying, and the use of excessive force.

A review of LRPD personnel records, emails and court cases dating back to Hastings’s hiring in March 2007 suggests a department plagued by nepotism, cronyism and racism — both blatant and subtle. Internal investigations of officer misconduct can be sloppy and incomplete, and are often haphazardly conducted by officers with clear conflicts of interest. There appears to be little supervision at any level, whether by sergeants over beat cops, the high command over supervising officers, or city and elected officials over the department’s leadership. When officers have been fired — and it takes a lot to get fired — they are often able to appeal and win back their jobs, either in court or through the city’s Civil Service Commission, usually with the help of the police union...

...the repercussions of this case could go well beyond Little Rock. The Trump administration has made clear that the Justice Department will no longer investigate and oversee problem police agencies as the Obama administration did in places such as Ferguson, Baltimore and Chicago. Police reformers say that will make it more difficult to draw attention to problematic police agencies, much less push for systemic reform.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Outcry after police shoot African-American security guard 'hero'
An armed security guard at a bar in suburban Chicago was killed by police as he detained a suspected gunman, according to officials and witnesses.

After gunfire erupted around 04:00 local time on Sunday, Jemel Roberson, 26, chased down an attacker and knelt on his back until police arrived.

Moments after police came on the scene, an officer opened fire on Roberson, who was black, killing him.

Friends say Roberson was a musician who had dreams of joining the police.

"The very people that he wanted to be family with took his life," Patricia Hill, the pastor of Purposed Hill church in Chicago, told WGN-TV.

Roberson worked as a gospel musician at several nearby churches, and also had found work at Manny's Blue Room in Robbins, Illinois, where the shooting occurred.

Sophia Ansari, a spokeswoman for the Cook County Sheriff's office, said police were called to the scene after a fight broke out in the bar and four people were shot.

Witness Adam Harris told Fox32 that Roberson, who was armed with a legally owned firearm, then chased down and caught one of the attackers.

"The security guard that got killed, he caught somebody and had his knee on him the whole time," Mr Harris said.

"Just waiting on the police to get there. I guess when the police got there, they probably thought he was one of the bad guys, cause he had his gun on the guy and they shot him."

"Everybody was screaming out 'security, he was a security guard'", Mr Harris added, "and they still did their job and saw a black man with a gun and basically killed him".

Images on social media show a chaotic scene outside the bar as witnesses shouted at police.

"He was protecting the club and holding a suspect down," Mr Harris told CBS.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's a tough one. I can totally see the cop responding to a scene where multiple shots were fired, thinking "there's a perp with a gun pointed at a helpless guy on the ground. I have to save that guy's life". Racism doesn't even have to be a part of it.

Or it could be completely nefarious. I'm gonna need more details than "cops shoot black man while crowd screams at them to stop" for any condemnation.

I do think that American police are too quick to use deadly force in general, but that's the environment they work in. It's also self fulfilling. Cops use deadly force because many criminals do. Criminals use deadly force because cops are going to shoot them anyway. I realize it's more complicated than that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I just read another accounting of this on NPR

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/13/66725278 ... zbpIIx8Mg0

From NPRs account... I... Nothing...