[Stardock] Star Control

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Redfive

Re: [Stardock] Star Control

Post by Redfive »

Freyland wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:18 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:41 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 pm Does it keep up with stuff for you and take notes and such? Like Im trying to play SC2 and it doesn't keep anything. Im told a planet location and if I dont write it down then f it I have no idea where it was.
Ok, first there is a pretty good captain's log that tracks all the story based interactions. For example, if you are told to go to a certain race's homeworld, it will show up in the log. You can click on it and it will even set up autopilot to take you there.

Second, there is a quests tab that tracks things pretty well.

Third, you have the star map and this takes a little bit of work but replaces the need for paper notes. If you are out exploring and you happen upon world that has an artifact on it but you do not have a lander capable of landing, you can select the planet and add a note to come back later. This takes the place of written notes.

The system works out pretty well.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you add notes to the planet?
Yes, please. I haven't seen this feature yet either, though I haven't found a need--I'm sure I will soon.

I'll echo some of the other sentiments that say this is pretty much an updated SC 2 and I am just fine with it. I'm having a great time so far. Exploring the planets is very chill time. I'm sure that will pick up once I start upgrading the landers for the harsher climates though.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

On the star map, you click on a star and you get two pop ups. One is auto pilot to that star. Other looks like a target. Click on that and it prompts you to leave a note. The note then shows to the right in the search area. I leave notes like planet name at that star and the thing I want to check out like “crashed ship”.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
DD*

Post by DD* »

RMC wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:09 pm The deeper I make my way into space the more Skryive (spelling?) I run into and they are running down my ship population. Suggestions: don’t head out to quickly.

Also I’ve already lost 4 landers. Lots of ways for them to go boom.

One thing I love in the game is the Captain’s Log. It does an awesome job of capturing game events as I experience them.

You do run into the same conversations as you encounter ships so they thoughtfully include and option the skip dialogue and go straight to ship battle.

Still saying it’s a buy.
Yeah, I have lost landers a plenty. I finally got a gun mounted to the thing, and have started harvesting the critters as well as the minerals. Are their other ways to make money? I don't mind just doing the mining, but I would really like to be able to do other things. Also, how do you upgrade your lander so you can get some Uranium? If I try to land on the planets where they tell you too, I blow up very quickly..
Try hailing different ships/planets when available. I picked up a mission to eliminate some pirates in another system, and the payout was 6K RU.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I picked it up on sale last Friday and have put about 2 hours into it. I remember playing Star Control back in the day and enjoying it a great deal, but I'm just not wowed by this latest iteration. Although it may just take more time.
Covfefe!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

RMC wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am Also, how do you upgrade your lander so you can get some Uranium? If I try to land on the planets where they tell you too, I blow up very quickly..
I found some uranium in the Sol system on a non-dangerous moon, not one of the places they point you to.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:16 pm
RMC wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am Also, how do you upgrade your lander so you can get some Uranium? If I try to land on the planets where they tell you too, I blow up very quickly..
I found some uranium in the Sol system on a non-dangerous moon, not one of the places they point you to.
I'm pretty sure I found some in the Proxima / Alpha Centauri systems. I sold it because I was not aware it was a 'quest' item so I'll have to find more elsewhere.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The original SC2 was good enough that it is still playable, especially if you have a modernized version such as Ur-Quan Masters. So with that said, I guess an even more modernized version such as this one would be even better, although it's hard to beat UQM's price.

I could go for a nice relaxing space adventure, traipsing across the uneeverse from one planet/star to the next, following the clues as I go.

I've read most of the recent posts here, going back a few pages. People are not overwhelmingly positive but have found it "satisfactory", I guess. Does that sound about right? It's too bad it doesn't excite more than that, but that might be enough. Fanatical has it on sale for the next few days.

Still reading along, keep the impressions coming, if you can.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I will say it stays very true to the original with many quality of life improvements. I’m still getting into the story and so far I’m intrigued where things are going. Races are fun to meet and hoping I can start to build my collection fighters. I still recommend it and I’ve played the last few nights.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I found the unraveling of the mystery to be the most interesting part of SC2, which is why I think it holds up so well over time. On the plus side, I've forgotten most of it. On the negative side, I'm not sure how much tedious mining I can do to unfold the story again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mining and finding ruins were my favorite part. Still love mining. Having the lander out running around is fun. Maybe thats why i loved the MAKO so much in ME 1. I cleared all planets with it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Formix

Post by Formix »

They actually encourage you to NOT mine everywhere. It's not where the real $$ are. Look for ruins, crashed ships and side quests. That's more $$ than mining. Although if I'm down there anyway, I'll pick up as much as I can. I'm enjoying the game so far, I think I'm probably 2/3 through the main story. Keep an eye the Captain's log and the objectives, and you should be fine.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I like to hear that, although I thought the mining was for required materials to maintain your ship, not primarily for selling. Needless to say, it has been awhile.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Yeah. It’s a big galaxy and most of the planets are ordinary with cheap resources. Mostly I will scan a planet from space and only go down if there is an artifact or some expensive resources.

Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Bought it yesterday. I've played about 3 or 4 hours. I'm having fun and getting a few chuckles along the way.

I'm still not very good at piloting my landers though. Are there commands besides turn, forward, reverse, and jump?

Also, why does my lander sometimes miss the LZ and crash into the surface? Is that my fault, or is that a feature?

Will keep playing for sure!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

You can also use Q and E to strafe. When you’re landing on a rougher planet, you need to steer the rover with WASD while it’s descending.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I also succumbed to the OO effect and bought it yesterday. I played about an hour and a half and am enjoying the story. I feel like I have lot to learn in the battle mode. Ugh.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can you remap all the keys? Island Dog can you comment on key remapping? Can I use arrow keys for all movement?
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v1.01 update is out today with a variety of fixes and improvements.

Full changelog here: https://forums.starcontrol.com/491270

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:20 am Can you remap all the keys? Island Dog can you comment on key remapping? Can I use arrow keys for all movement?
You can rebind key and you can use arrow keys for movement.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you. May seems small to wasd users but thats a breaking point for me. May buy this as my game next month.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Unfortunately I've been experiencing the crashing bug that has plagued some users. From what I've read on the Stardock forums it looks related to the video card as the graphics lock up but the sound continues to work and you can tell the game is still running in the background for ~5-10 seconds before the hard crash comes. It happens mostly on the lander missions from what I've experienced. It's on their radar and hopefully they'll figure it out and fix it soon. I was really enjoying the story and the gameplay and would like to continue.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Moat_Man wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:49 am Unfortunately I've been experiencing the crashing bug that has plagued some users. From what I've read on the Stardock forums it looks related to the video card as the graphics lock up but the sound continues to work and you can tell the game is still running in the background for ~5-10 seconds before the hard crash comes. It happens mostly on the lander missions from what I've experienced. It's on their radar and hopefully they'll figure it out and fix it soon. I was really enjoying the story and the gameplay and would like to continue.
Have you checked your page file size? I followed the tech advice from the main troubleshooting FAQ and increasing the size of mine fixed my regular crashing issues. Your crashes sound like they're happening a little different than how mine did, though.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Page file is managed by Windows and not a fixed size. I'm a techy and I'm fairly sure the game's interaction with the video card is the problem. I think the fans on my card aren't spinning up to cool it like they do in other games. I've removed the Nvidia GeForce Experience as sometimes those programs can mess with things but no go.

The last time I tried to play I got 10 minutes into exploring moons in Proxima Centauri when the same thing happened. Game "freeze" but sound continues to work. Then 5-10 seconds later crash to desktop.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Right, but my page file size range was set too low for the game. It’s a known issue and they even just patched the game to give a warning about your page file size.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just how much memory are they trying to utilize anyway?

Page size shouldn't matter barring it's not unreasonably small and a decent amount of free memory.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

My page file is large (2432MB but managed automatically). The crash is the result of a Swap Chain Present Failure. See detail from my runlog.txt file:
Scene Mode: Entering PLANET_SURFACE
Nitrous Error: Swap Chain Present Failure:
(887a0005) The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.
Device Removed Reason: Device Hung: (887a0006) The GPU will not respond to more commands, most likely because of an invalid command passed by the calling application.

I've posted on their forums. The current status is that it is known issue and they are working with Nvidia to resolve the problem. :coffee:
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Page/swap file should be tuned based on memory utilisation.

For general purpose computers where memory usage varies widely, it still "depends".

It used to be 1.5*sysmem or even 2*sysmem but on modern systems with large amounts of memory you actually need less. The more memory the less swap you need, assuming you don't want a full memdump if it crashes.

If we had infinite memory we wouldn't need a swap file at all.

That's why I asked what the game was doing where the default value is not enough.

I.e. what makes star control so "special" when it comes to memory management? Other games run fine, presumably.

Anyway, glad you found a fix for your crashes.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I am thinking about the game during the day and that's a sign a game really has it's hooks in you. It's a bummer not to be able to really play consistently. Crashes come every 10-15 minutes. No hotfix for the problem this week so hopefully sometime next week...
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Sorry to hear that Moat Man. I’m really getting into the groove of the game. The planet mining doesn’t bother me that much. I’ve been able to upgrade landers now so I can land on most planets and get all the minerals. I love that I can now see the value of the minerals so I can pass over the low value worlds. I’ve also found some possible colony worlds.

I still run into random battles and I’m able to survive them but sometimes it gets close. Luckily I keep finding crashed ships so fill out my fleet.

Also running into some small random quests and mysteries as I move through the galaxy. And this galaxy is big. This might take a while.

Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Scoop20906 wrote:I still run into random battles and I’m able to survive them but sometimes it gets close. Luckily I keep finding crashed ships so fill out my fleet.
I feel that the flagship with tier two missiles is the best choice for 80% of the fights I run into. The missiles do boatloads of damage, and have a reasonable range. Sure, she turns like a stuck pig, but I feel the enemy ships are either worse (you kite them) or better (they’re weak and you just nuke them as they run at you).
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

wonderpug wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:42 pm You can also use Q and E to strafe. When you’re landing on a rougher planet, you need to steer the rover with WASD while it’s descending.
I've been out of town for a few days. Thanks for this. I didn't know you could steer the lander during descent.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:36 pm
wonderpug wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:42 pm You can also use Q and E to strafe. When you’re landing on a rougher planet, you need to steer the rover with WASD while it’s descending.
I've been out of town for a few days. Thanks for this. I didn't know you could steer the lander during descent.
The big green landing path squares on the way down not enough of a clue? :P Its ok Ive seen YT videos where they didn't seem to notice either.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Thanks, another game I didn't need in my Steam library. I was able to get it for $26, so not too bad.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
DD*

Post by DD* »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:12 pm
Fardaza wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:36 pm
The big green landing path squares on the way down not enough of a clue? :P Its ok Ive seen YT videos where they didn't seem to notice either.
I bought the gizmo that lands the ATV for you, and so far it has been flawless. Kind of pricey but I tend to dislike mini games like this so worth it to me.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Week 4 blog!

https://forums.starcontrol.com/491646/s ... eek-4-blog
We are currently working on version 1.1 of Star Control: Origins and the first free DLC called the Multiverse. We expect to have a beta version of v1.1 out this week for those who want to try it out.

Multiverse

The Multiverse DLC will open up Steam Workshop to modders who want to create their own stories, maps, custom settings, aliens, etc. for people to play with. This DLC will obviously evolve over time and get more features as we learn what kinds of things players like to share.

The Expansion

We will be announcing the first expansion in a few weeks which will be released as a single season pass so that we can release it as a series of micro-expansions. It will introduce lots of new aliens, new places to visit, new quests and will benefit both players who have finished the main storyline as well as new players.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The FREE Multiverse DLC is available where you can create your own characters and quests for Star Control: Origins.

The v1.1 update released today too, and brings gameplay, balance, graphical improvements, and more.

https://www.stardock.com/games/starcont ... le/491565/

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I followed a Star Control F-150 in to work up M-14 today.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Star Control: Road Map 2018

https://forums.starcontrol.com/491931/
Star Control: Origins is just the beginning of our journey. This post will give you tentative schedule of what we have in the works going forward:

Fall 2018:

Season Pass: <to be announced>. Series of new adventures that will begin rolling out this Fall.

Episode 1: Aftermath.

Version 1.2. Lots of usability tweaks, some new quests, performance and more.

Version 1.3. More usability improvements, additional quests, more modding features, Vulkan support (possibly).

Winter 2018:

Version 1.4. Additional new features, UI updates, new components, new ships. Network update.

Episode 2: The Lexites

Spring 2019:

Version 1.5. Lore based quests (doesn't require you to replay).

Episode 3: The Syndicate

Episode 4: <TBD>

Broadly speaking, our goal is to begin integrating more of the lore into the game so that players get a better idea of things that are coming in the future such as much bigger ships, landing parties, water worlds, helping colonies, helping friends and hurting enemies on a bit more strategic level (not as a strategy game, you are captain of one ship but you can make a difference).

It's a big, big universe out there. And we are excited to keep sharing more and more of it with you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe add other Earth ships out there besides you.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Star Control: Origins v1.2 arrives with Adventure Studio accessibility, addresses player feedback about the collecting and selling of resources, adds upgrades and special rewards to the Terran Colonization quests, and more.

Check it out here: https://www.stardock.com/games/starcont ... cle/491939

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Star Control: Origins - Earth Rising announced! The story continues next week with Earth Rising, a 4-part season pass that covers humanity's expansion into the galaxy.

More info: https://www.stardock.com/games/starcont ... cle/492238