"Smart Gun" get's a $1.1 million grant

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Al

"Smart Gun" get's a $1.1 million grant

Post by Al »

NJIT's smart gun moves closer to completion with $1.1 million grant.

So, what's the opinions of smart guns? I'm fairly agnostic on them although I do like the idea of having a weapon for home defense that couldn't be turned on me. Well other than to pistol whip me, that is.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: "Smart Gun" get's a $1.1 million grant

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Al wrote:NJIT's smart gun moves closer to completion with $1.1 million grant.

So, what's the opinions of smart guns? I'm fairly agnostic on them although I do like the idea of having a weapon for home defense that couldn't be turned on me. Well other than to pistol whip me, that is.
Well, if it uses biometrics and not chip implants, I'd be interested. But your average home probably defender wouldn't like it. What if you happen to have gloves on? Or spill paint on your hand? Or have a wet hand? I guess with a chip there wouldn't be that problem, but who wants a chip? And then it would need batteries or some other kind of power source.

What if it's somehow stolen, hacked, and used in a crime? It would be like having your fingerprints and wallet found at the scene.

I would wait. If police officers start carrying them and they are deemed reliable, that would be a start.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

Sounds like the gov't wants to protect us from ourselves.

What a bunch of numb nuts!
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I liked this one. It used DNA to fire and it would put some DNA in each projectile fired. Great concept.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The last thing I want is a gun even more prone to not working when I REALLY need it. I'll stick with my 1911.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

What if I'm not home, and my wife can only find my smart gun when an intruder tried to break in to harm her -- She grabs my gun and it won't work.

Not good.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

msduncan wrote:What if I'm not home, and my wife can only find my smart gun when an intruder tried to break in to harm her -- She grabs my gun and it won't work.

Not good.
Or an 18 yr old son or daughter that you trusted with it.

They'd have to allow you to program the gun, add and remove users. Gee, that shouldn't be fraught with too many issues. ;)
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Hopefully the intruder will give you enough time reboot the gun.

My personal favorites are the guns that work as long as you're wearing this huge Wayne Newton-sized activation ring. Not to mention these guns are pretty damn big too. Sir, is that an armadillo under your shirt?
Al

Post by Al »

msduncan wrote:What if I'm not home, and my wife can only find my smart gun when an intruder tried to break in to harm her -- She grabs my gun and it won't work.

Not good.
In case you didn't read the story:
NJIT has spearheaded efforts to develop a personalized handgun that can recognize, instantly and reliably, one or more pre-programmedauthorized users.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

But you also need to be able to deprogram them and/or change the users. You don't exactly want your ex- able to use your own weapon but you may want your new spouse to. Or adding a child after they reach a proper age. Or removing one after he's been convicted of felonious assault.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Al

Post by Al »

And all those are fairly minor implementation issues once you get past the biggest hurdle which is getting the biometrics to be both reliable and fast enough for field use. Police departments are going to want the same feature to be able to add incoming personnel and remove outgoing personnel.

The market has already said that having to wear a ring or having a chip implanted isn't going to fly. These guys are working on a biometric solution, which could have other uses. Say, instead of needing to have a key for your car you just touch the biometric sensor and it'll let you in and start for you.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I think this study should be called "How to add $1000 to the cost of simple things."
Yankeeman84

Post by Yankeeman84 »

This is the most god damn stupidest "invention" ever! Ever!

Yeah, lets add MORE cost to firearms. See this is how they are gonna keep people from buying guns.....they will be too damn expensive and nobody will buy guns anymore.

Just gimme my S&W Model 686 and I will show you why this shit sucks!

DAMMIT :twisted:

:wink: :lol:
XBox Live Gamertag: Yankeeman84

GO HOKIES!!!

Virginia Tech Department of History