SCOTUS Watch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: SCOTUS Watch

Post by El Guapo »

Chaz wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:27 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm By the way, when *is* our next brownshirt orgy planned for? We need to start organizing earlier, or else we're going to wind up with another disaster like last time, where we had too many fascist paramilitary uniforms and not enough lube.
I'm only going if some of you guys let me play Devil's Triangle this time. I've got a whole roll of quarters ready!
We'll only let you play Devil's Triangle if you agree not to hog all the boofing.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm By the way, when *is* our next brownshirt orgy planned for? We need to start organizing earlier, or else we're going to wind up with another disaster like last time, where we had too many fascist paramilitary uniforms and not enough lube.
I love you man, but if you didn't get the pm invite about it... :oops: I mean, you can't be all that surprised after what you did at the last one. Do you even remember what you did?! Hint: Rubik's Cube, several merkins, and firecrackers. I won't go into detail.

Perhaps some self-reflection and soul searching is in order.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The last time I wore a brown shirt I was mistaken for the UPS man. Never again.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:
malchior wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:35 pm Brownshirts!?! Good lord. Image
It is incredibly rich to have msd hop in off his high horse clutching pearls and proclaim the end of civility, only to show his true civility-less colors once again moments later.

Good riddance.
He was just channeling his inner Brett O'Cavanaugh. Probably best he stays out of the conversation since it causes him such agita and upsets his delicate constitution. If you're not enjoying the company, better to go elsewhere where you're more comfortable. Perhaps hooking up with those folks that were behind Trump while he was respectfully pointing out inconsistencies in Dr. Ford's testimony is more his thing?

I think the bigger tragedy is that Amazon isn't kicking back money for purchases and I'll have to go elsewhere for our lube needs come the next Brownshirt meeting.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rip

Post by Rip »

I like beer.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 pm Well, that's some ray of hope, I suppose. I will say, of the GOP 'flakes' (so to speak, Murkowski seems like the most serious one.

Also, more broadly, while I would bet on Kavanaugh getting confirmed at this point, this is not over. We're two days from a plausible confirmation vote, which doesn't *seem* like much, but a lot of people are going to be scrambling during that time to do what they can.

My guess right now is that there's ~ 70% chance that Kavanaugh gets confirmed. Strong favorite, significant doubt / risk.
Hard to believe, but Sasse might also be a ray of hope.

https://www.businessinsider.com/republi ... se-2018-10
That article calling Sasse's quote a "bombshell" is absurd - I have to assume that the author is unfamiliar with what bombs are. All he says is that he suggested that Trump pick someone else, preferably a woman. BFD, Sasse, we are all *so* impressed that you wanted him to pick a woman.

Notably, it doesn't say anything even hinting that he's going to vote no on who Trump actually nominated. And Sasse, to my knowledge, has done literally nothing of note contrary to GOP leadership or Trump's wishes to date, so the odds that he's going to do so now are .0000001%.
Of course his actions are what are important, but this is a pretty bold rebuke of the president from a Nebraska Republican-
Ben Sasse wrote:We all know that the president cannot lead us through this time.

We know that he is dispositionally unable to restrain his impulse to divide us.

His mockery of Dr. Ford last night in Mississippi was wrong — but it doesn’t really surprise anyone. It’s who he is.
This article is much more complete-
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... -time.html
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rip wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 pmI like beer.
I love lamp.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:39 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:32 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 pm Well, that's some ray of hope, I suppose. I will say, of the GOP 'flakes' (so to speak, Murkowski seems like the most serious one.

Also, more broadly, while I would bet on Kavanaugh getting confirmed at this point, this is not over. We're two days from a plausible confirmation vote, which doesn't *seem* like much, but a lot of people are going to be scrambling during that time to do what they can.

My guess right now is that there's ~ 70% chance that Kavanaugh gets confirmed. Strong favorite, significant doubt / risk.
Hard to believe, but Sasse might also be a ray of hope.

https://www.businessinsider.com/republi ... se-2018-10
That article calling Sasse's quote a "bombshell" is absurd - I have to assume that the author is unfamiliar with what bombs are. All he says is that he suggested that Trump pick someone else, preferably a woman. BFD, Sasse, we are all *so* impressed that you wanted him to pick a woman.

Notably, it doesn't say anything even hinting that he's going to vote no on who Trump actually nominated. And Sasse, to my knowledge, has done literally nothing of note contrary to GOP leadership or Trump's wishes to date, so the odds that he's going to do so now are .0000001%.
Of course his actions are what are important, but this is a pretty bold rebuke of the president from a Nebraska Republican-
Ben Sasse wrote:We all know that the president cannot lead us through this time.

We know that he is dispositionally unable to restrain his impulse to divide us.

His mockery of Dr. Ford last night in Mississippi was wrong — but it doesn’t really surprise anyone. It’s who he is.
This article is much more complete-
ehhhh, that's nothing that he hasn't said before. Wake me when he actually does something about any of it.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 pm
I love you man, but if you didn't get the pm invite about it... :oops: I mean, you can't be all that surprised after what you did at the last one. Do you even remember what you did?! Hint: Rubik's Cube, several merkins, and firecrackers. I won't go into detail.

Perhaps some self-reflection and soul searching is in order.
So, in my defense, I thought all that stuff were references to flatulence. Everyone needs to spell out the meanings of the key phrases much more clearly.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:39 pm This article is much more complete-
I want to believe
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:34 pm
I'm only going if some of you guys let me play Devil's Triangle this time. I've got a whole roll of quarters ready!
We'll only let you play Devil's Triangle if you agree not to hog all the boofing.
Don't get it twisted, man. You don't hog the boofing, you boof the hog.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

GreenGoo wrote:This is not a neutral forum. But it is not a far left safe haven. That msd (and others) view it as such is a clear indication of where politics are today in the US.
My big problem with the divide as it stands is that to the right, support for gay marriage, tolerance towards all races/genders, and caring about the environment/believing in the scientific method are symptoms of being *far* left. In essence, anything that does not adhere to a white male Christian worldview is suddenly "far left."

It's really a bizarre, cult-like perspective. "We're not the fringe, all of you are!"

I wish folks like MSD could take a big step back - ignore the policies and the labels - and really question what they're supporting, and whether it aligns with their morals. Do you really want to support a President that lies multiple times daily. Blatantly. And tries to convince you that his lies are the truth even when you can easily disprove them yourself. Is that the example of leadership you want your kids to follow? Do you want your daughters led by a man who sees them as sexual objects he can "grab by the pussy?" Is that worth a tax cut and some gun control protection?

It's not like I was brainwashed by this forum into turning liberal. If that was the case, I would have flipped long ago, because I participated here for years during my rabid conservative days. But I had to draw a line. The GOP was doing blatantly bad things, and I couldn't support them anymore. I teach my kids to tell the truth, not judge people by their skin color, and treat women with respect. I can't support a President and a party who does the exact opposite. Multiple times. Over and over.

There's an excellent chance that if the GOP had stayed in relatively sane bounds, I'd still be on here debating everyone from the other side. But the GOP has rotted from the inside. Trump is the end result of that rot and corruption. It's really, really bad, and it frightens me that there are people who either can't or refuse to see it.

I can understand dismissing these arguments from historically left-leaning posters, but I'd hope that folks like me and noxiousdog speaking out would give you pause. And it's not like we're the only ones. Multiple conservative newspapers refused to endorse Trump. Multiple Republican politicians and commentators have spoken out against him. This is not a liberal conspiracy. It's just normal people saying "This isn't right."
Last edited by YellowKing on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msduncan wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pm Kurth

The answer is no. We are long past the point where we can just disagree. We have Yellowking of all people proclaiming Republicans as terroists. We have people doxing Republican senators. We have Ricin being mailed to Republicans. We have violent confrontations being perpetrated by our Marxist Antifa friends.
This is a pretty vivid look into the radical conservative echo chamber.

Yes some (most?) of these things have happened. But they are rare occurrences and limited to fringe outliers and/or agitators. Yet to some they are a relentless plague that can justify any number of beliefs and practices that would otherwise be unthinkable.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:48 pm Yes some (most?) of these things have happened. But they are rare occurrences and limited to fringe outliers and/or agitators. Yet to some they are a relentless plague that can justify any number of beliefs and practices that would otherwise be unthinkable.
It's hard not engage with fullblown whataboutism when you see that sort of attack but then it's suddenly if you are trying to defend behavior that shouldn't be defended... So you step back and don't engage (and delete your post... :ninja: )
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Me too, but I rarely drink it these days.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Chaz wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:47 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:34 pm
Don't get it twisted, man. You don't hog the boofing, you boof the hog.
We can get started as soon as we have everyone's consent forms in.
And as always, I'm up for anything as long as it doesn't involve covfefe.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:48 pmI wish folks like MSD could take a big step back - ignore the policies and the labels - and really question what they're supporting, and whether it aligns with their morals. Do you really want to support a President that lies multiple times daily. Blatantly. And tries to convince you that his lies are the truth even when you can easily disprove them yourself. Is that the example of leadership you want your kids to follow? Do you want your daughters led by a man who sees them as sexual objects he can "grab by the pussy?" Is that worth a tax cut and some gun control protection?
I'll answer for MSD since he can't handle responses, and prefers sniping and running like a snowflake.

Tax cut, probably not.
Gun control protection? Mmmmmaybe.
Abortion? Maybe/probably (for a LOT of Trump voters, it's not just probably)
Pwning the evil liberals and their media that are destroying the country with their gays, wussiness and enviro-bullshit?! Absolutely. Will support ANYBODY that will do that. May not like the person, may despise them, but NOTHING is worse than a fucking liberal.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

edit: Guys, I'm kinda tired of realizing I'm pontificating after the fact. Nothing I said in this post was particularly interesting or new, so I'm removing it.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

edit: Guys, I'm kinda tired of realizing I'm pontificating after the fact. Nothing I said in this post was particularly interesting or new, so I'm removing it.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:45 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:39 pm This article is much more complete-
I want to believe
I won't hold my breath, but me too. I don't see how someone could give a speech like that and still plan to vote yes.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:21 pmI won't hold my breath, but me too. I don't see how someone could give a speech like that and still plan to vote yes.
First time watching a politician, eh?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not sure how much it helps, but last night during my weekly late evening commute, I was listening to NJ talk radio - a station that tends to swing conservative/Republican for most shows. Anyway, call after call was about how the Democrats are obstructionist terrorists (their words, true story) and that all this is just payback for Garland and losing the Presidential election. I was both angry and confused at the way the self-identified Republicans calling in were representing the Kavanaugh situation - repeating that 6 investigations had been completed, this was all 30+ years ago, Dr. Ford isn't a credible witness, Democrats are terrorists, no man is safe now, etc... it was like they were all reading from the same memo. Now I know the calls are screened and they're likely picking people with all the same general thoughts, but I was truly kerpuzzled to hear call after call expressing vitriol over the Democrats and what they've done to politics.

I'm at the point now where I honestly don't think there's recovery from this, at least not in my lifetime.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:24 pm Not sure how much it helps, but last night during my weekly late evening commute, I was listening to NJ talk radio - a station that tends to swing conservative/Republican for most shows. Anyway, call after call was about how the Democrats are obstructionist terrorists (their words, true story) and that all this is just payback for Garland and losing the Presidential election. I was both angry and confused at the way the self-identified Republicans calling in were representing the Kavanaugh situation - repeating that 6 investigations had been completed, this was all 30+ years ago, Dr. Ford isn't a credible witness, Democrats are terrorists, no man is safe now, etc... it was like they were all reading from the same memo. Now I know the calls are screened and they're likely picking people with all the same general thoughts, but I was truly kerpuzzled to hear call after call expressing vitriol over the Democrats and what they've done to politics.

I'm at the point now where I honestly don't think there's recovery from this, at least not in my lifetime.
And so the kingdom of Gondor sank into ruin, the line of kings failed, the white tree withered and the rule of Gondor was given over to lesser men.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:23 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:21 pmI won't hold my breath, but me too. I don't see how someone could give a speech like that and still plan to vote yes.
First time watching a politician, eh?
No, I'm just naive.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:24 pmI'm at the point now where I honestly don't think there's recovery from this, at least not in my lifetime.
Yup - welcome to the dark side. The only way to break this sort of fever will be a disaster. And it is hard to imagine it won't come. One of many big downsides of this shit storm is that only incompetent, mendacious people will apply to "serve". Eventually we're going to get a bad break and it'll probably become a horrible one out of pure mismanagement.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:28 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:24 pm Not sure how much it helps, but last night during my weekly late evening commute, I was listening to NJ talk radio - a station that tends to swing conservative/Republican for most shows. Anyway, call after call was about how the Democrats are obstructionist terrorists (their words, true story) and that all this is just payback for Garland and losing the Presidential election. I was both angry and confused at the way the self-identified Republicans calling in were representing the Kavanaugh situation - repeating that 6 investigations had been completed, this was all 30+ years ago, Dr. Ford isn't a credible witness, Democrats are terrorists, no man is safe now, etc... it was like they were all reading from the same memo. Now I know the calls are screened and they're likely picking people with all the same general thoughts, but I was truly kerpuzzled to hear call after call expressing vitriol over the Democrats and what they've done to politics.

And so the kingdom of Gondor sank into ruin, the line of kings failed, the white tree withered and the rule of Gondor was given over to lesser men.
If we really want to go grimdark, here’s some cheery Yeats.
The Second Coming
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hundreds arrested protesting Kavanaugh nomination including Amy Schumer.

When was the last time that happened to a SCOTUS nominee?

Totally normal.

Actually it could be I don't usually pay this close attention.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:58 pm Hundreds arrested protesting Kavanaugh nomination including Amy Schumer.

When was the last time that happened to a SCOTUS nominee?

Totally normal.

Actually it could be I don't usually pay this close attention.
Well, such a fuss certainly didn’t happen for the last nominee. I wonder what’s different...? :think:
Black lives matter!

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So Kavanaugh decided the thing to do was write an Op ed in the WSJ. TL;DR version: “I’ll be much more impartial than I showed in the hearing last week. Trust me!”

There isn’t an eye roll emoji large enough.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:33 pm So Kavanaugh decided the thing to do was write an Op ed in the WSJ. TL;DR version: “I’ll be much more impartial than I showed in the hearing last week. Trust me!”

There isn’t an eye roll emoji large enough.
And yet he led with a diatribe against the Democrats who were getting revenge on behalf of the Clintons. What to believe, what to believe... :think:
Yes, I was emotional last Thursday. I hope everyone can understand I was there as a son, husband and dad.
And there was another participant that day who was reluctantly there as a daughter, wife and mother and she showed more courage and poise then this entitled prick.
Black lives matter!

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

msduncan wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:22 pmWe have people doxing Republican senators.
And you have Republican senators doxing people. :coffee:

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Republican Senator won't be available to vote this weekend, because he'll be at his daughter's wedding in MT.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

If the vote is going to be close, I’m sure McConnell will delay it until the week. If he’s still pushing to vote this weekend, they must have it in the bag.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Also, there’s this:
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

And so Kavanaugh's entitlement continues to ruin the lives of women everywhere.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

Looks like Menendez didn't get the memo - the right word is sham. This is why the Dems lose - they can't stay on the same page. 8-)

raydude

Post by raydude »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:03 pm
So do I. I have also never tried telling a job interviewer that I like beer and that I'm entitled to a job that would be mine for life.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:55 am And so Kavanaugh's entitlement continues to ruin the lives of women everywhere.
Seems a touch hyperbolic, no? I assume that most women's lives won't be ruined when this shit box gets confirmed.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

raydude wrote:
So do I. I have also never tried telling a job interviewer that I like beer and that I'm entitled to a job that would be mine for life.
I haven't accused some of my interviewers of having a hostile agenda against me during the interview process.
Black lives matter!

raydude

Post by raydude »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23 am
raydude wrote:
I haven't accused some of my interviewers of having a hostile agenda against me during the interview process.
On that note, regardless of how one feels about how Kavanaugh has been treated, either fairly or unfairly, if he were just a shmoe interviewing for a mid-level managerial job, what percentage of interviewers would give him said job based on his behavior and the allegations against him? I would say 0.0000 percent.