SCOTUS Watch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: SCOTUS Watch

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 pm
Yes, I was emotional last Thursday. I hope everyone can understand I was there as a son, husband and dad.
What a load of shit. He was there as a Supreme Court judge candidate. Not that being a son, husband, and dad absolves you of, or prevents you from, being an asshole anyway. Nor does it absolve you of unsuitability for a particular job.

But most notably, he was using prepared statements. His opening remarks about the Clinton conspiracy were written down. I can see a pass for emotion in his voice or the occasional expletive. But no, he planned everything in his opener and probably rehearsed answering every question he was asked. It is who he is Just more lies in his op-ed.

Also, heard at the bar:
"Raf, you're fucked up already and they just opened at four."
(Slurring) "I'm as schober ash a judge..."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:05 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:48 pmI wish folks like MSD could take a big step back - ignore the policies and the labels - and really question what they're supporting, and whether it aligns with their morals. Do you really want to support a President that lies multiple times daily. Blatantly. And tries to convince you that his lies are the truth even when you can easily disprove them yourself. Is that the example of leadership you want your kids to follow? Do you want your daughters led by a man who sees them as sexual objects he can "grab by the pussy?" Is that worth a tax cut and some gun control protection?
I'll answer for MSD since he can't handle responses, and prefers sniping and running like a snowflake.

Tax cut, probably not.
Gun control protection? Mmmmmaybe.
Abortion? Maybe/probably (for a LOT of Trump voters, it's not just probably)
Pwning the evil liberals and their media that are destroying the country with their gays, wussiness and enviro-bullshit?! Absolutely. Will support ANYBODY that will do that. May not like the person, may despise them, but NOTHING is worse than a fucking liberal.
Not to be serious or anything here, but you missed immigration especially those scary muslims. OK, I couldn't stay too serious for long.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am Not to be serious or anything here, but you missed immigration especially those scary muslims. OK, I couldn't stay too serious for long.
Anyone whose primary reason for coming here is because they actually want to be an American is fine. If they're coming with the idea of altering what an American is, then yeah not so much. Is that so terrible? :roll:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

RunningMn9 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:16 am
Zarathud wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:55 am And so Kavanaugh's entitlement continues to ruin the lives of women everywhere.
Seems a touch hyperbolic, no? I assume that most women's lives won't be ruined when this shit box gets confirmed.
You and Susan Collins.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 pm And yet he led with a diatribe against the Democrats who were getting revenge on behalf of the Clintons. What to believe, what to believe... :think:
And closed with a dire warning to democrats about sowing winds that will be reaped for decades to come. Nothing to fear there about a decades long appointment.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

em2nought wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:01 am Not to be serious or anything here, but you missed immigration especially those scary muslims. OK, I couldn't stay too serious for long.
Anyone whose primary reason for coming here is because they actually want to be an American is fine. If they're coming with the idea of altering what an American is, then yeah not so much. Is that so terrible? :roll:
I shudder to think of what your definition of "being an American" actually is.

And given such a warped definition, I also assume that yes, it would be terrible.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 am

And given such a warped definition, I also assume that yes, it would be terrible.
I wouldn't word it the same way, but like Skiny implies whether it is terrible or not depends on what "being an American" means to you. To me it's not much more than living in America. What are the other requirements? I'm going to assume learning to speak English? What else?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's so bizarre that a SCOTUS nominee has now done a Fox News interview and a WSJ op ed during the confirmation process.

I tend to think of it as a good sign that Kavanaugh / the GOP felt the need for the op ed. I assume that they wouldn't do it unless they were either worried about the vote count and/or were worried about the political fallout of confirming him.

Although I think it's more likely that they're worried about the fallout than the confirmation vote.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I admit, tacos are scary. Don't even get me started on falafel.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am What are the other requirements? I'm going to assume learning to speak English? What else?
Technically, not even that. The US has no official language.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 am
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am What are the other requirements? I'm going to assume learning to speak English? What else?
Technically, not even that. The US has no official language.
Probably the wrong thread to continue this discussion, but that has never stopped (most of) us. I am curious about em2's definition of being an American and that's the only one I can think of (that I might consider reasonable).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am I'm going to assume learning to speak English? What else?
Stand when commanded to do so, resist any change, value wealth above all else...
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 am
coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am I'm going to assume learning to speak English? What else?
Stand when commanded to do so, resist any change, value wealth above all else...
You forgot "don't be brown".
Chrisoc13

SCOTUS Watch

Post by Chrisoc13 »

em2nought wrote:
Anyone whose primary reason for coming here is because they actually want to be an American is fine. If they're coming with the idea of altering what an American is, then yeah not so much. Is that so terrible? Image
Not sure why I'm bothering to respond to this seriously due to your posting history but as a conservative myself (of note not a republican) I don't understand this mindset. America needs the change immigrants bring. What an American is should constantly be being alerted (within reason). Some things should never change (primarily freedoms) but that doesn't mean we can't have immigrants who help us reevaluate our values or what being an American means. Not all change is bad.

While what you posted is so vague it could be taken a dozen different ways and explained away easily I have seen personally that too many people when they say what you are saying mean they just want the status quoe when it comes to the country. So immigrants should look and act like the historically prototypical American does (even though that typical American didn't include the diversity we already had). That's so shortsighted and closed minded it bothers me so much. We should welcome immigrants and the lessons we can learn from them. Embrace them and show the amazing parts of being American while being willing to learn that there are areas we can always improve.

Anyways that's a bit off topic but I couldn't help myself. On topic kavenaugh should not be confirmed because he is clearly too partial and political. I've written my senators (one is Collins) so we'll see what she does.
Last edited by Chrisoc13 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am

I wouldn't word it the same way, but like Skiny implies whether it is terrible or not depends on what "being an American" means to you. To me it's not much more than living in America. What are the other requirements? I'm going to assume learning to speak English? What else?
Really? Being an American just means living here? If that’s the case, no wonder our social fabric seems to be pretty frayed right now.

No common set of core ideals? No common purpose? No shared history? No ties to each other? Man, that’s fucking bleak. No wonder people are all quoting Yeats. :?

And +1 to Chrisoc13 above. Well said.
Last edited by Kurth on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:14 am
Making sure to criticize everyone getting handouts on the government dime. And demanding your own handout when the time comes,whether it be a tax cut, corporate bailout, disaster relief, etc.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am What an American is should constantly be being alerted (within reason).
I assume that was supposed to be "re-evaluated" instead of "alerted"...?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:39 am
Chrisoc13 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am What an American is should constantly be being alerted (within reason).
I'm more interested in these 'reevaluating our cakes' jobs.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I read it as “altered.”

And is it really the case that the only things people in this thread can come up with to define being an American are horribly negative? I’m hoping that’s not the case and that these reactions are just ham-fisted counters to em2whatever’s ignorant trolly post. Although, I’m not really sure why anyone feels the need to respond to him. He’s the only member of this forum I’ve ever resorted to Ignore, but it’s generally made my forum browsing much more enjoyable.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I decided he meant "altered".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

She's frantically practicing her brow-furrowing as we speak.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:46 am And is it really the case that the only things people in this thread can come up with to define being an American are horribly negative? I’m hoping that’s not the case and that these reactions are just ham-fisted counters to em2whatever’s ignorant trolly post.
That's exactly what these responses are.

I would have thought the sarcasm font was on bright, flashing, neon display, but perhaps I underestimated.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Term limits?

I don't think we need limits as much as periodic re-validation, perhaps via election every 4 years. It would give people a chance to oust judges who do not keep up with the prevailing interest of the people.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

PAID PROTESTERS! GEORGE SOROS! RUDE DEMOCRATS! NO COLLUSION!

The very rude elevator screamers are paid professionals only looking to make Senators look bad. Don’t fall for it! Also, look at all of the professionally made identical signs. Paid for by Soros and others. These are not signs made in the basement from love! #Troublemakers
I will agree with him that these folks are making the Senators look bad, but not for the reasons Trump thinks.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:46 am
I read it as “altered.”

And is it really the case that the only things people in this thread can come up with to define being an American are horribly negative? I’m hoping that’s not the case and that these reactions are just ham-fisted counters to em2whatever’s ignorant trolly post. Although, I’m not really sure why anyone feels the need to respond to him. He’s the only member of this forum I’ve ever resorted to Ignore, but it’s generally made my forum browsing much more enjoyable.
Ham-fisted? I dare say, I was taking a more prosciutto approach I thought! :P
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 am
I read it as “altered.”

I think you sliced it a little too thinly.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Skinypupy wrote:
Haha Yeah my phone... Altered. Re-evaluated is closer to what I meant. But altered is the word I was going for.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:54 am
$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:52 am
I read it as “altered.”

I think you sliced it a little too thinly.
All this talk of prosciutto makes me want to look in the fridge to see if I have any to go with the mozzarella I have...
Black lives matter!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Manchin is a "yes", as is Bredsen

Hit the lights folks, we're done here. :(
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Vorret wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:53 am And again, nobody is surprised. At least I'm not.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:02 am Manchin is a "yes", as is Bredsen

Hit the lights folks, we're done here. :(
Well, Bredesen doesn't have a vote.

We'll see what Collins says at 3, but I'm sure she'll say that she's voting yes with just SO MUCH CONCERN THOUGH YOU GUYS.

Interesting that Murkowski voted no on the procedural vote - I think it's pretty likely that she's an ultimate no. The question is whether the Democrats can lean enough on Flake / Manchin / Collins before the final vote.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 am
Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:46 am And is it really the case that the only things people in this thread can come up with to define being an American are horribly negative? I’m hoping that’s not the case and that these reactions are just ham-fisted counters to em2whatever’s ignorant trolly post.
That's exactly what these responses are.

I would have thought the sarcasm font was on bright, flashing, neon display, but perhaps I underestimated.
Got it. My sarcasm detector has been on the fritz lately.

Also, I like prosciutto.

(But I’ve never blacked out from eating it.)
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Prosciutto and mozzarella are un-American.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:07 am Well, Bredesen doesn't have a vote.
Yup, I'm an idiot. :oops:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:19 am Prosciutto and mozzarella are un-American.
Hmmm, along with my foreign sounding last name and stunning Asian looks I guess I'll be turning myself in to my nearest ICE facility.
Black lives matter!

Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Only chance to block Kavanaugh now is for both Manchin and Collins to vote no. Looks like he's heading to confirmation.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kurth wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 am

Really? Being an American just means living here? If that’s the case, no wonder our social fabric seems to be pretty frayed right now.

No common set of core ideals? No common purpose? No shared history? No ties to each other? Man, that’s fucking bleak. No wonder people are all quoting Yeats. :?

And +1 to Chrisoc13 above. Well said.
What's bleak is thinking that someone who doesn't share core goals or have ties to others can't be an American. What happened to being yourself and independence? If you don't share my history, you can't be American. That's pretty fucked up. What's great about being American is that you can have none of those and still be American.
Last edited by Alefroth on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's possible (though not likely) for Manchin and Collins to vote yes today and no tomorrow. That way they escape criticism that they "didn't even allow Kavanaugh to come up for a vote."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 am

I would hope supporting our Constitution would somehow make the cut - though that might disqualify our current president.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:17 pm It's possible (though not likely) for Manchin and Collins to vote yes today and no tomorrow. That way they escape criticism that they "didn't even allow Kavanaugh to come up for a vote."
Straws. Grasp at them.