Pathfinder: Kingmaker with Chris Avellone

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Freyland

Re: Pathfinder: Kingmaker with Chris Avellone

Post by Freyland »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:57 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:51 pm Looking at this from an tabletop rpg perspective, encounters need to be challenging otherwise they are simply exp for the farming. This might be ok and expected in normal crpgs (rats in every crpg ever made, for example) but this is a pen and paper conversion. That doesn't mean that all encounters have to be life or death moments for all your characters, but they need to at least hint at killing you, otherwise they are just wasting your valuable time (from a pen and paper perspective).
Speaking as a retired DM, the single most difficult thing (in my experience) was creating a meaningful adventure for level 1 characters. The story and overall narrative isn't the problem, its the fact that the characters are so powerless. Even if you put them up against weak monsters, there's always the chance of bad die rolling or a missed saving throw that can really ruin the fun. As a human being that's rolling dice behind the scenes, that's easy to address. How the computer/AI manages to do it (if it's doing it at all) - that's a whole different story.
Why start at level 1? Just choose to start at maybe level 3 if starting at level 1 is a problem?
Bored kobolds.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I bought it you sons of bitches. And it's really good so far.

I hope you're proud of yourselves.
Last edited by Sepiche on Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Way to fail that Will save. I'm pretty sure that the situation penalty negated any Wisdom bonus you had.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The only thing stopping me is the fact that it's party based. I don't even have the time and it looks like fun. Welcome to middle-age.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
morlac

Post by morlac »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:13 am Y'all went and made me re-install Pillars of Eternity (the last "great" RPG I bought but never played), and now I'm 8 hours in and have my own keep. I'm struggling with the largely unfamiliar classes, spells, and abilities - but learning.

I've basically tried to stop myself from buying more RPG's I'll never play, so I've got to play Pillars before I buy this.
I am/was in the same exact boat. I finally got further in POE 1 than I ever have before last Thursday night. I am half way through the first Expansion and ready to start chapter 3 as soon as I complete it. I have been plugging away to it for a couple months now and am proud of my progress and drive. I celebrated on Friday late afternoon by buying and Dloading Star Control Origins. It's not really an RPG I told myself and totally different than POE. I promptly bought and dloaded Pathfinder Saturday afternoon because the seal was broken and I am weak. I have rolled 4 characters and gotten maybe 1.5 hours into the campaign with one of them. I am sure I will roll about 5 more characters before shelving it out of boredom with the starting area I never get pass. The Circle of Life continues.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Just uninstall Pathfinder until you’re done with PoE. By that point, Pathfinder should be more or less patched up. I’ve got PoE 2 on hold until all of the expansions are out.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am The only thing stopping me is the fact that it's party based. I don't even have the time and it looks like fun. Welcome to middle-age.
I will say this: I much prefer PoE2's wherein you can select the classes for all of the NPCs. It seems pretty egregious in a game with 40-odd classes to force canned characters for five (!) of your six party members.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Fretmute wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:09 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:54 am The only thing stopping me is the fact that it's party based. I don't even have the time and it looks like fun. Welcome to middle-age.
I will say this: I much prefer PoE2's wherein you can select the classes for all of the NPCs. It seems pretty egregious in a game with 40-odd classes to force canned characters for five (!) of your six party members.
It stops you from min/maxing and abusing the systems completely? I've never minded 'canned' NPC's that still played well and had purpose - like side quests or banter with each other.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If you want a completely self-designed party, my understanding is that you can hire mercs at Oleg's trading post for 500GP each if you do it before levelling up to level 2. The cost scales with your level, so it gets pricey if you wait to hire them. If you mean that the companions are autolevelling, you can disable that from the difficulty settings menu.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

See, I'm the opposite. I want to design my one character, and then have everyone else be part of the world before I got here.

That said, I understand your viewpoint, and there is no reason that we both can't have our cake and eat it too, unless the designer decides otherwise, and there is no good reason to not include both approaches. Games like BG and IWD do both. Actually I am not sure about IWD, so I'm just assuming.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In IWD you choose and design your entire party. In the BG games you can only design your own character. There are workarounds, like playing it as psuedo-multiplayer, but you lose out on the NPC interaction. As an aside, I hated BG2's NPC designs. Almost every single character was multi- or dual-classed out the wazoo. It prevented access to a lot of cool stuff.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Max Peck wrote:If you want a completely self-designed party, my understanding is that you can hire mercs at Oleg's trading post for 500GP each if you do it before levelling up to level 2. The cost scales with your level, so it gets pricey if you wait to hire them. If you mean that the companions are autolevelling, you can disable that from the difficulty settings menu.
That’s absurd, too. It was 2000g for me by the time I spoke with that NPC, and you don’t even have 2500g at that point, even if you are level one. They priced it deliberately to make it impossible to accomplish.

If I were in charge, you’d be able to talk to them all in the room at the beginning, and dialog option one would be “Hi, I’m <NPC>, and I’m a : <Invoke character creation here>.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:25 pm
If you want a completely self-designed party, my understanding is that you can hire mercs at Oleg's trading post for 500GP each if you do it before levelling up to level 2. The cost scales with your level, so it gets pricey if you wait to hire them. If you mean that the companions are autolevelling, you can disable that from the difficulty settings menu.
I leveled to lvl 2 before getting there and now the price is 2k per. I would have had enough for 1 to 2 mercs had I not leveled right before but I don't see how anyone would have enough at level 1 to build a party from scratch. 500-2000 is a huge jump and I'm sure it is another huge jump at level 3. So unless money get's to be bountiful real quick I don't see how you could have a full custom party without playing for 20+ hours which is lame; imo.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'd normally have a major issue with the idea that a first level character can have 500g or 2000g at lvl 2, but the game is called Kingmaker, presumably for a reason. Being king is expensive.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Just because I have too much time on my hands, I rolled up a new character (this game is dangerous to those with severe altitis) and ran through to the end of the Protect the Trade Post quest without leveling up. After selling off everything except my equipped gear, healing potions and magic items, I ended up with a total of 2672GP. At 500GP a head, that allows for a full party of 1st level 20-point hirelings. That's without any gear (Doh!), so it would be wise to hold onto some armor/weapons suitable for the party build you want to make.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:18 pm Just because I have too much time on my hands, I rolled up a new character (this game is dangerous to those with severe altitis) and ran through to the end of the Protect the Trade Post quest without leveling up. After selling off everything except my equipped gear, healing potions and magic items, I ended up with a total of 2672GP. At 500GP a head, that allows for a full party of 1st level 20-point hirelings. That's without any gear (Doh!), so it would be wise to hold onto some armor/weapons suitable for the party build you want to make.
They don’t come with any equipment?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ydejin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:34 pm
Max Peck wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:18 pm Just because I have too much time on my hands, I rolled up a new character (this game is dangerous to those with severe altitis) and ran through to the end of the Protect the Trade Post quest without leveling up. After selling off everything except my equipped gear, healing potions and magic items, I ended up with a total of 2672GP. At 500GP a head, that allows for a full party of 1st level 20-point hirelings. That's without any gear (Doh!), so it would be wise to hold onto some armor/weapons suitable for the party build you want to make.
They don’t come with any equipment?
My bad. I just loaded the save file and checked, and the hireling I rolled up did come equipped with armor, weapons and a scroll, so they do not start buck naked. I'm not sure why I thought otherwise. #SeniorMoment

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

So, it's been a week. How are people still feeling about this? I've been tempted but haven't quite pulled the trigger.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

gbasden wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:09 pm So, it's been a week. How are people still feeling about this? I've been tempted but haven't quite pulled the trigger.
I'm not someone that is normally into RPGs as a whole, but on the occasions that I am, they're in the Baldur's Gate vein (I adored Divinity 2, for example). I'm having a good time with this. I've not played the PnP version, so I was caught completely off-guard by the kingdom management aspect, but I'm digging it. It has some nits (custom party, I am looking directly at you), but as far as I'm concerned, it's a steal for the price. I've not progressed particularly far, because I keep restarting to min max the hell out of it, but supposedly it's ~40 hours of game for $40. Not bad.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Still really enjoying it.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Awesome. Thanks guys!
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

FYI the last patch broke something in how the game calculates damage reduction, resistance and some + to hit and damage. My ranger was hitting for over 70 per arrow and my paladin had like 200 fire resistance.

I'm sure it'll be fixed soon but I've had to shelve it until it is.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I am loving it for the most part but there are a few rough edges (not counting the latest patch problem since it's not a big deal in chapter 1). My biggest complaint so far is that I like random loot. Hand placed loot makes me feel like I've failed when I find that my character is specialized in a weapon I can't find. Random loot lets me believe I'm just unlucky and could find a great X in the next chest.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

5.6 GB patch released today.
Spoiler:
Hello everyone!

Please, be aware that there are plot spoilers in the descriptions below (in the Quest, Areas and Kingdom sections)!

Quests
Bokken could die after his artisan's quest if players came to the "Oleg's Trading Post" area too late. Resolution: fixed, Bokken can't die any longer.
Tristian could become immortal after completing the "Betrayer's Flight" quest. Resolution: fixed.
Jubilost didn't appear in the tavern during the "Door to Nowhere" quest. Resolution: fixed.
The NPC Amalia didn't appear at the Capital Square after citizen revolt in the Season of Bloom chapter (Tristian's "Kingdom of the Cleansed" quest). Resolution: fixed.
The party couldn't leave "Oleg's Trading Post" area if players failed Nok-Nok's companion quest and the "Trouble with Goblins" quest. Resolution: fixed.

Areas
Dialogue with Akiros didn't work properly at the "Stag Lord Fort" area after the party got over the wall if the formation layout set party members too far from each other. Resolution: fixed.
The party couldn't leave the "Womb of Lamashtu" area if an animal companion got stuck at the separated area part. Resolution: fixed.
The vendor didn't sell goods at "Brineheart" area after resolving all of the problems in the area. Resolution: fixed.
The dialogue with Amiri at the end of events at "Flintlock Grasslands" area could be inconsistent if players choose chaotic dialogue option. Resolution: fixed.
The NPC Gwart didn't appear at the end of events in the "Flintlock Grasslands" area if players visited the area first and then came back after completing Tristian's quest. Resolution: fixed.
There were issues with navigation at "Mysterious Shrine" and "Gnawed Rocks" areas. Resolution: fixed.
Tristian repeated romance dialogue when the party entered the Capital Square. Resolution: fixed.
Ekundayo's dialogue didn't work properly at the "Ruined Watchtower" area if players discovered the "Troll Lair" area before talking to him. Resolution: fixed.

User Interfaces
Critical modifiers weren't visualized in tooltips. Resolution: fixed.

Classes & Mechanics
The Arcane Weapon - Shock enchantment would give a weapon the Brilliant Energy property instead. Resolution: Shocking Weapon Enchant gives Shock weapon property now.
Skeletons summoned by Jaethal's camping ability dropped loot and didn't disappear after death. Resolution: fixed.
Disintegrated units were invisible after resurrection. Resolution: fixed.

Miscellanous
There was a mistake in the Fighter class description, leading to wrong expectations about class development. Resolution: fixed.
Epilogue ended after the Tiger Lords message. Resolution: the rest of epilogue should play normally now.
New pack of typos and localization fixes.

System
Some players complained that video cards might be running out of memory. Resolution: a couple of video memory leaks are fixed.

We have noticed there were a lot of questions and misunderstanding surrounding our game’s crafting feature, the artisans, so we’ve decided to clear things up a little bit.

As a kingdom’s artisans become better at their craft, they can reach ever higher degrees of mastery, mechanically represented by different tiers. The quality of gifts they present to the player depends on their tier, with their finest work – the masterpiece – serving as the reward for reaching the artisan’s highest tier.

To increase an artisan’s tier, you need to complete their respective quests, but that is not the only requirement. You also need to improve your newborn country, so that the artisans have access to better tools and materials – that is, you need to rank up the different kingdom stats associated with the artisan.

As already mentioned, once an artisan’s mastery reaches the highest tier, they will present you with an item of great power – the masterpiece. At the moment, some players may experience an issue where an artisan tells the player they’ve started work on a masterpiece even though not all the necessary requirements have been met. This will be fixed in one of the nearest updates.

Also, we are currently working to make the process of improving an artisan’s tier more obvious and reactive.

PS.
IMPORTANT NOTE: For anyone having troubles with Linzi disappearing from the party - you can fix that by opening the party manager tool anywhere in the game, for example on the global map or when leaving your capital.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:28 pm I am loving it for the most part but there are a few rough edges (not counting the latest patch problem since it's not a big deal in chapter 1). My biggest complaint so far is that I like random loot. Hand placed loot makes me feel like I've failed when I find that my character is specialized in a weapon I can't find. Random loot lets me believe I'm just unlucky and could find a great X in the next chest.
Yeah, this is pretty egregious in a system that really encourages you to specialize all of your characters. I mean . . . magic weapons are just point based, no? It seems like it'd have been pretty easy to code it such that it checks for your feats and spawns something like [Cold <Martial Weapon> +1]. It'd even be cool if they only spawned on the obviously more fancy drops.

I have a few complaints about this game, but they're all being made in a constructive manner, because I really love it. Now that I'm further on, I get that the identities of the party members are pretty closely tired to their classes, and that the integrity of the story would suffer if you were to change them. That said, I feel that it'd be an acceptable compromise to let me change them anyway, and just operate under a story that doesn't reflect who they currently are. As it stands, it's annoying to have to sub out my chosen characters to drag along the stock ones for their flavor quests.

As far as the custom characters go, I found a tool that lets you edit save files (character XP, stats, gold), and in the current game I used it to give myself enough money to recruit the heroes I wanted and then bump them up to the same XP as everyone else. When I replay this (because I want to go through it again with a lawful evil asshole just for grins), it will annoy me that I have to grind through an hour of rails to get the actual custom point, but whatever. I can deal with it.

[edit] - I also reallocated stats for Valerie, because she's actually useful when her stats aren't wasted.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I was waiting on more patching before doing a real dive in. How is that coming along? They certainly have been patching with frequency, albeit minus some internal testing it seems.

When I do restart i plan on adding 1 to maybe 2 additional custom characters and leave the rest of the party for flavored in game ones. That is generally what I do with the BG games and POE. Helps my altitis and "Rollers Remorse" when I play these and am always thinking if only I was a Bard/Archer/Mage/Ogre/Etc.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I bought this, installed, started a new game, promptly quit.
Yeah....I aint ready for this game yet.........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
RMC

Post by RMC »

I am really enjoying this game, but I have put it on the back burner for a little bit. Still running into some odd bugs, or maybe they are features, but they really need to provide more clues on what needs to be done sometimes.

I am not out of chapter 2 yet, and there are some issues with my kingdom management, where I am getting some adverse impacts, and don't seem to be able to find from where. Could be a bug, or a dumb choice I made. I don't need a kingdom simulator with spreadsheets and what not, but I need some additional tools, so I can understand what is going on. Again, it might be there, I just have not found it.

I figure it is a good time to wait for some more patching while I do some other things, and then I can come back to it fresh and know I will not have to worry about some of these items. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I had the same issue with chapter 2. It seems that there were some events that never appeared in my queue that timed out and failed. I’m wondering if it’s because I declined to hire the outside team for one of the quests.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Playing on 'Normal' and I'm finding every new area that I "venture forth" into a supreme challenge...and I've yet to get out of Act I. The battle feels deceptively like DND but there are so many subtleties that I haven't grasped yet.
Is it just me or is the spell casting (especially buffs) the biggest difference between the two systems?

Think I'll ask that google guy to see if there's a handy comparison ...
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

The single biggest difference for me is that you get flanked (read: sneak attacked) if you’re being attacked by more than one person, regardless of where they are (including archers). Rogues do a truly absurd amount of damage in this system.
[edit] - My knife master, for example, does 1d4 + 6 + 5d8 at level 9.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Good to know. Thanks. One challenge I've had is being able to shelter my party from ranged damage (spells & arrows). I'd love to be able to turn this on its ear by taking the initiative; thinking that choosing my ground and paying more attention to NPC placement will help. Have pity. Just broke level 3 :pray:
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So far that all sounds like the elements they pulled straight out of D&D. Pathfinder was originally D&D 3.5 Edition with a few rules cleaned up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Looks like some good DLC coming out for this game. I hit some bugs, so put it away, and now I might wait for the DLC before I start again. I really enjoyed what I played of this, so looking forward to more.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
naednek

Post by naednek »

I picked this up and played it last night (hurray for 40% off) and so far it's fun. Looks a little daunting. 20 years ago, I'd never touch this type of game (tried balders gate and planescape and didn't care for it) but my tastes have changed over the years. I have no business buying this as I have plenty in my backlog. But you know how that goes.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

naednek wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:04 pm I picked this up and played it last night (hurray for 40% off) and so far it's fun. Looks a little daunting. 20 years ago, I'd never touch this type of game (tried balders gate and planescape and didn't care for it) but my tastes have changed over the years. I have no business buying this as I have plenty in my backlog. But you know how that goes.
Where'd you find it for 40% off?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:43 pm
naednek wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:04 pm I picked this up and played it last night (hurray for 40% off) and so far it's fun. Looks a little daunting. 20 years ago, I'd never touch this type of game (tried balders gate and planescape and didn't care for it) but my tastes have changed over the years. I have no business buying this as I have plenty in my backlog. But you know how that goes.
Fanatical has it for 30% with an extra 10 off with code FANATICAL10.
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/pathfinder-kingmaker
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:46 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:43 pm
Fanatical has it for 30% with an extra 10 off with code FANATICAL10.
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/pathfinder-kingmaker
Oh right, duh... (was just there and saw it for 30%, forgot about the 10% code). Thanks!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Funny... was just there pondering this as well, in the same "looks fun but looks a bit daunting" camp. It's 10% off the discounted 30% cost so what... only a 37% discount? <ponder,ponder> :D
-mf
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Version 1.2 has been released, with the patch weighing in at a hefty 12Gbytes.
Patch Notes, part 1
Patch Notes, part 2