Russia influences election

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Russia influences election

Post by malchior »

Yeah - the people were ok with looting the country until they were basically told they'd have to work until they pretty much literally died. Life expectancy of 70 and a retirement age of 65 doesn't really sell well.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:37 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm What's Russian for Reichstag?
Pretty sure it's "Reichstag."

Anyway, I think this fire was small and contained.
See?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:43 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:37 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:15 pm What's Russian for Reichstag?
Pretty sure it's "Reichstag."

Anyway, I think this fire was small and contained.
See?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:39 pm Image
Just a good time for me to point this out.

I can't stand when the words under a gif like that just really don't seem to be what the person was saying.

Indeed ?
looks like he's saying something that starts with an M or B to me.

But, then - I have no idea who that guy is or what that's from and perhaps he's actually indeed saying indeed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

SEE! I knew it. :doh: :P

edit: However, I will say that the clip shows where he says 'Indeed', and the GIF totally shows a second before that where he seems to make a B or M like move (not just opening his mouth before saying 'indeed')
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:01 pm Putin is experiencing a rare and real drop in popularity because Russia's pension system is collapsing.

A sudden internal-security crisis seems pretty convenient.
I indeed miss when we had a wee bit of international news like this instead of stories about Trump's penis. :ninja:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ummm...you're the only person talking about Trump's penis that I can find. But you might be frequenting different news sites than most of us. How often a day do you search the internet for news about celebrity penises? Obviously too much if you're now complaining about it. Have you tried not searching the internet for news about celebrity penises?
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

First thing in the morning, I limit myself to two or three times during my lunch break and then odd numbered days I abstain in the evening. Even numbered days I'd say it's somewhere around 50 in the evenings but I don't keep track.

Edit; Oh, you weren't talking to me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What a great morning. Think I'll catch up on some news. Now, let's see...there's that big storm in Florida. So let's just search the 'net for "Florida storms and Trump's penis". Ah, there we go. Looks bad! Well, the storm at least.

I need to cheer myself up now! Let's search for "Funny cat videos and Trump's penis". There we go. Ah, look at that little dickens. Now let's take a look at that cat video!
Covfefe!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

What would you do without me to "help" inject a "wee" bit of humour into this groupthink tank? :wink:
https://www.wnd.com/2018/10/cnn-returns ... mps-penis/
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Everyone knows that if you google "Breitbart", you're gonna find dicks.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Nothing like a WND link to affirm that somebody failed their sanity save, eh?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mention Trump's penis in future replies if you want em2 to read them.
Covfefe!
Enough

Post by Enough »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:13 am Nothing like a WND link to affirm that somebody failed their sanity save, eh?
Are you saying WND is groupthink? :ninja: :mrgreen:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's almost as if the TrumpBots called into a central location....
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Justice Dept. Accuses Russians of Interfering in Midterm Elections.

This is a social media influencing-type charge.
WASHINGTON — Russians working for a close ally of President Vladimir V. Putin engaged in an elaborate campaign of “information warfare” to interfere with the midterm elections, federal prosecutors said on Friday in announcing they had charged one of them in the plot.

The woman, Elena Alekseevna Khusyaynova, 44, of St. Petersburg, was involved in an effort “to spread distrust towards candidates for U.S. political office and the U.S. political system,” prosecutors said.

Ms. Khusyaynova managed millions of dollars for a company owned by Yevgeny V. Prigozhin, a Russian oligarch who was previously indicted on charges of interfering in the 2016 presidential election, to finance foreign influence activities directed at the United States. Some of the money was spent on advertising on social media in the United States, buying internet domain names and “promoting news postings on social networks.”

The conspirators seized on divisions in American politics, prosecutors said, including immigration, guns, race relations, women and even the debate over the protests by National Football League players during the national anthem. They adopted a variety of ideological perspectives, writing on varied topics and from opposing views, prosecutors said. No one was named in court papers besides Ms. Khusyaynova.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

“An engineer at Facebook notified the company in October 2014 that entities with a Russian IP address were pulling 3 billion data points a day [from your website]. “
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

They are slimy, creeps. This guy is an example of it. He is just slinging mud because they don't have anything else. There was a fact asked about. I don't even get the tactic here. They got caught out. That he is trying to say it is out of context is bizarre because it takes only a moments thought to point out that *they are the ones* obfuscating the context.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

But is America safer with Papadopoulos in jail?

I'm thinking an empathic "yes".

As to the truthiness of the letter's claims, I'm patiently waiting, as always. Semi-patiently.

Just a reminder that drumpf literally stood up in front of the public and cameras and told us to expect damaging material on HRC (I don't recall his exact phrasing) to be released "very soon". Very soon being within 24 hours of his statement.

He is so fucking guilty of working with foreign agents to secure the highest office in the land I never imagined something like this happening outside of fiction. In movies they shoot traitors. Well, typically he would reach for a gun after having been defeated and during his arrest, at which point Mueller would put 2 in his head, but you know what I mean.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What a world we live in:
MOSCOW — The head of Russia's GRU military intelligence agency that the West has blamed for a string of brazen attacks died on Wednesday after "a serious and long illness," the Russian defense ministry said.

State news agency TASS cited the ministry as saying Igor Korobov, 62, who ran the spy agency since 2016, had been made a Hero of Russia for his service in the post, the highest state award.

Speculation about Korobov's fate had been growing since an unconfirmed Russian media report that he had been summoned by President Vladimir Putin after the Skripal affair and severely criticized for the operation which left the Skripals alive and the GRU a target of mockery in the Western media.

Korobov was absent from a ceremony in Moscow this month where Putin and other senior officials celebrated the centenary of the GRU, with the Russian leader praising its skill and "unique abilities."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Repeatedly falling on a knife is not a "serious and long illness".
Last edited by hepcat on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

His illness was very legal and very cool.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:14 pm What a world we live in:
MOSCOW — The head of Russia's GRU military intelligence agency that the West has blamed for a string of brazen attacks died on Wednesday after "a serious and long illness," the Russian defense ministry said.

State news agency TASS cited the ministry as saying Igor Korobov, 62, who ran the spy agency since 2016, had been made a Hero of Russia for his service in the post, the highest state award.

Speculation about Korobov's fate had been growing since an unconfirmed Russian media report that he had been summoned by President Vladimir Putin after the Skripal affair and severely criticized for the operation which left the Skripals alive and the GRU a target of mockery in the Western media.

Korobov was absent from a ceremony in Moscow this month where Putin and other senior officials celebrated the centenary of the GRU, with the Russian leader praising its skill and "unique abilities."
Reminds me of Trump saying the only problem with the Khashoggi torture/murder/dismemberment was the cover up.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:23 pm Repeatedly falling on a knife is not a "serious and long illness".
It is if he’s only falling once a week for 12 weeks.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:23 pm Repeatedly falling on a knife is not a "serious and long illness".
It is if he’s only falling once a week for 12 weeks.
Practice makes perfect?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Gary Kasparov (yeah, the chess master) says we are all living in chaos, but remains an incorrigible optimist. A wide-ranging political interview with some true-sounding insights from a Russian perspective. Samples:
At first they were using Trump mostly as an icebreaker. They expected Hillary to win and wanted to discredit her completely. Trump was the perfect vehicle for discrediting not only Hillary but the entire electoral system. Putin’s great advantage is that, unlike Soviet propagandists, he is not selling an ideology. I call him the merchant of doubt. His message is, We are shit, you are shit, and all of this is bullshit. What democracy? Trump was the ideal agent of chaos.

Trump kept saying that the election will be rigged. This was the Kremlin line. I think their main script was that Hillary would win in a close battle and #ElectionIsRigged would be a hashtag that would discredit her. She would be paralyzed. She’d be facing a Republican congress, which would immediately begin impeachment proceedings.

And then they saw that they had a shot at the jackpot. In its last stages, the campaign changed. They started using WikiLeaks when they sensed that they had a chance of getting Trump into office.
Putin’s dictatorship is different from twentieth-century dictatorships in that it is driven primarily by money. It’s not imperialism in its purest form. He doesn’t have the desire to attack and conquer everyone. He has no ideology. He sows chaos: break up NATO, break up the European Union, create chaos in America. In the end, he is concerned only with maintaining his own power, and his own power depends on demonstrating his might and uniqueness to his own guys, his own henchmen and cronies.

What do you think of comparisons between Trump and Putin?

Their backgrounds are different. Putin is not a public person; he is a K.G.B. agent. He is underhanded in everything he does. Trump acts openly and brazenly. Sure, he has to disguise things, but he does that by piling on lies and fake information. I think Trump envies Putin his ability to do things that Trump can’t do by definition. Putin doesn’t have to be concerned with the media or with parliament. Trump resents wasting his precious time on speaking to the press. And then he has to push things through, lobby for them—all that takes time. I think the way Trump acts around dictators comes from his feelings of a sort of inferiority: he’d like to be like them, but he can’t. If he is reëlected, it will be a tragedy—nothing will rein him in.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have always liked Kasparov - he not only dethroned the party-favorite Karpov, he has an astute understanding of politics. He even made a failed attempt at the Russian presidency.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

From The Atlantic:
As of mid-morning on January 3, the day after the president’s repetition of Soviet-Putinist propaganda in the Cabinet room, there has been no attempt by the White House to tidy things up: no presidential tweet, no corrective statement. The president’s usual defenders—Sean Hannity, Fox & Friends, the anti-anti-Trump Twitter chorus—have likewise ignored the whole matter. They’re back to denouncing the Steele dossier, fulminating against Mueller, and reprising the Clinton-email drama. There’s apparently nothing they can think of to say in exoneration or excuse.

Putin-style glorification of the Soviet regime is entering the mind of the president, inspiring his words and—who knows—perhaps shaping his actions. How that propaganda is reaching him—by which channels, via which persons—seems an important if not urgent question. But maybe what happened yesterday does not raise questions. Maybe it inadvertently reveals answers.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Eiger Sanctions are Coming"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I must have missed the "Soviet-Putinist propaganda". What is that referring to?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:58 am I must have missed the "Soviet-Putinist propaganda". What is that referring to?
When Trump said (paraphrasing) that the Soviet Union became just Russia after it invaded Afghanistan, he echoed Putin's dream to restore the empire. Insofar as Putin dreams of anything but his own wealth and power.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Further in the vein of the comments on Afghanistan - why is the President continuously spouting Kremlin talking points?

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The U.S. military blocked Internet access to an infamous Russian entity seeking to sow discord among Americans during the 2018 midterms, several U.S. officials said, a warning that the Kremlin’s operations against the United States are not cost-free.
link
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Haven't seen this thread in a while. Guess what? Amazingly, it's still relevant:
In the months before Kirstjen Nielsen was forced to resign, she tried to focus the White House on one of her highest priorities as homeland security secretary: preparing for new and different Russian forms of interference in the 2020 election.

President Trump’s chief of staff told her not to bring it up in front of the president.

But in a meeting this year, Mick Mulvaney, the White House chief of staff, made it clear that Mr. Trump still equated any public discussion of malign Russian election activity with questions about the legitimacy of his victory. According to one senior administration official, Mr. Mulvaney said it “wasn’t a great subject and should be kept below his level.”
I didn't remember this:
Mr. Trump’s national security adviser, John R. Bolton, eliminated the position of cybersecurity coordinator at the White House last year, leaving junior aides to deal with the issue.
Seems reasonable.
Holman

Post by Holman »

A sane democracy would be bending every effort towards this threat five minutes after it was discovered.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It depends what they said...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter