Space, er, I mean, Star Citizen

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Space, er, I mean, Star Citizen

Post by Jag »

Pretty much wrote it off too, luckily i only backed at a low level. I'd be happy with an updated X-Wing game at this point.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jag wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm Pretty much wrote it off too, luckily i only backed at a low level. I'd be happy with an updated X-Wing game at this point.
PC Gamer: Play X-Wing with upgraded graphics. Trust us: you should
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

gotta say, the trailer was impressive. Was that Mark Hamil?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

naednek wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm gotta say, the trailer was impressive. Was that Mark Hamil?
Yes.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So when do I get to play this?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Apparently not NOW. Most likely when it's AWESOME.

My fear is that AWESOME was 5 years ago.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

NOW is the enemy of AWESOME
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given that the first production babies would now be in first grade, I do wonder how long the In Memoriam section of the credits is going to be.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

You bring up a good point. Chris may be taking his time, deliberately breeding for the best artists and programmers by sticking their parents in small cubicles together, and when those children come of age, they'll make this game amazing.
Black Lives Matter

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

A truly next generation game. Nice.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id take it now instead of the likely 12 years from now when its engine will either need changing or will look 12 years out of date. Ya know..Duke Forever style of development.

If Roberts had focused on building what he started to build and finished it 3 years ago we could be playing a fun game. But he has to ad ground combat, sitting animation, toilets, this that and farts instead of actually finishing what he should have finished. I cant help but roll my eyes when I get a update email and it says they are doing something silly like "adding an idle animation!" :roll: :doh: :roll: :doh: :roll: :doh: :roll: :doh:

What is it..over $100 million.....6 years....and you're adding a fucking idle animation or some other nonsense. I think it was 3 years ago I had the thought that perhaps Roberts was best at being a dev under another rule and not his own boss.

That S42 trailer is fine but I didn't get a chill or feel awed at all. Not a bit. And the people that are supposed to look like the real actors? Ive seen better and there is something 'off' about them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

So Roberts thinks he's making a movie, not understanding that computer game technology ages about 20x faster.

He should be made to watch Wing Commander FMV footage every day.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

naednek wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm gotta say, the trailer was impressive. Was that Mark Hamil?
Really? It’s a cutscene, no gameplay whatsoever after all of these years and missed delivery dates.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Brian

Post by Brian »

There's plenty of gameplay video from CitizenCon as well if you want.

Here's a sample.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
naednek

Post by naednek »

Grifman wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 pm
Really? It’s a cutscene, no gameplay whatsoever after all of these years and missed delivery dates.

I'm commenting about the cutscene video. I thought it was impressive
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Passed $200 million now. Maybe we'll get that working snot we always wanted so we can pass space diseases..

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/195241/star ... s-usd-200m
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

We're looking at a 2020 release for Squadron 42? It just took one guy buying the big package, I guess.
Courtesy of a $46 million investment from billionaire record producer Clive Calder, the game is now expected to launch during the summer of 2020
I dunno. I don't even care anymore.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So its taken a decade to get part of it working?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:58 am So its taken a decade to get part of it working?
A decade and almost $250,000,000.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watching that video my thought drifts to thinking...Trump fans. The people in the audience just laugh off all the broken stuff in the demo video. Its like they are Trump fans. Doesn't matter how shitty the object of their love is they just dont care and go along with it all laughing all the way. Makes me slap my forehead. All the glitches in a displayed video is horrendous. Years ago a company would have been embarrassed to show something like that after 2 years.

I never got my money back. At the time I could spare it and I plan to get what I paid for back then. But the track record of this development makes me sick and I dont know to laugh or cry at it all. Its scary to me. Seems everyone else can just laugh and enjoy the nutso stuff.

EDIT: And having to go back to heal all the time is stupid. A medipen can stop the bleeding but only a little bit then ya die?? WTH. I dont want to head to a planet ALL the time to heal.

Even when he clicks his wrist display he is hitting his sleeve and not his display..my God.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im such a Debbie Downer. Ill say its not all bad and last time I played was about 2 years ago. The space flight and fight model I find fun. I own a mustang...of course....and had a lot of fun dog fighting. Ive not tried the ground combat. Yes controlling it all is clunky as F but it does have its moments. Its just taking SO long it seems.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So Star Citizen started in 2011 and has over $250 million. 8 years later still nowhere near ready. I was 43 Ill be 50 this year. My wife has passed away. She helped me get the money together to buy into it and get the Mustang ship. Im shaking my head. By the time it comes out it will be outdated. UO Came out and 2 years later was surpassed by EQ.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So hey, American Bar Association, what exactly are you trying to say here?

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I expect shortly to get the email telling me that the terms are changing, and if I want to ever play the game, I'll have to agree to binding arbitration.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:I expect shortly to get the email telling me that the terms are changing, and if I want to ever play the game, I'll have to agree to binding arbitration.
I'm surprised they didn't sneak a binding arbitration clause in the terms and conditions everyone loves to read.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You know, I've bought two new computers since this thread started. 5 years apart.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$iljanus wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:51 pm
Isgrimnur wrote:I expect shortly to get the email telling me that the terms are changing, and if I want to ever play the game, I'll have to agree to binding arbitration.
I'm surprised they didn't sneak a binding arbitration clause in the terms and conditions everyone loves to read.
Oh, wait...

RSI
B. Binding Arbitration
If you and RSI are unable to resolve a Dispute through informal negotiations, either you or RSI may elect to have the Dispute (except those Disputes expressly excluded below) finally and exclusively resolved by binding arbitration. Any election to arbitrate by one party shall be final and binding on the other. YOU UNDERSTAND AND HEREBY AGREE THAT YOU HEREBY WAIVE THE RIGHT TO SUE IN COURT AND HAVE A JURY TRIAL. The arbitration shall be commenced and conducted under the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) and, where appropriate, the AAA’s Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes (“AAA Consumer Rules”), both of which are available at the AAA website www.adr.org. The determination of whether a Dispute is subject to arbitration shall be governed by the Federal Arbitration Act and determined by a court rather than an arbitrator. Your arbitration fees and your share of arbitrator compensation shall be governed by the AAA Rules and, where appropriate, limited by the AAA Consumer Rules. If such costs are determined by the arbitrator to be excessive, RSI will pay all arbitration fees and expenses. The arbitration may be conducted in person, through the submission of documents, by phone or online. The arbitrator will make a decision in writing, but need not provide a statement of reasons unless requested by a party. The arbitrator must follow applicable law, and any award may be challenged if the arbitrator fails to do so. Except as otherwise provided in these TOS or the EULA, you and RSI may litigate in court to compel arbitration, stay proceeding pending arbitration, or to confirm, modify, vacate or enter judgment on the award entered by the arbitrator.

C. Restrictions on Dispute Proceedings
You and RSI agree that any arbitration shall be limited to the Dispute between RSI and you individually. To the fullest extent permitted by law, (1) no arbitration shall be joined with any other; (2) there is no right or authority for any Dispute to be arbitrated on a class-action basis or to utilize class action procedures; and (3) there is no right or authority for any Dispute to be brought in a purported representative capacity on behalf of the general public or any other persons.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Doing my yearly checkup on Star Citizen and a mental image popped into my head that I couldn't shake and felt like sharing.

Just the next few seconds of this clip. More... mmmm... More... mmmm... More... it'll never be done, never enough. RSI is the bug in the Edgar suit.
Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/206965/cryt ... -follow-up

This case has been marked by a pattern of CIG saying one thing in its public statements and another in this litigation. For example, at the outset of this case, CIG had publicly claimed it had switched to using the Lumberyard Engine for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42, but was forced to confirm during this litigation that no such switch had taken place. See Crytek’s Response to CIG’s Motion for Bond, Dkt. 74 at 1; CIG’s Reply in support of Motion for Bond, Dkt. 74, at 8 (“Crytek makes much of the fact that the code is the same . . .”). The fact that CIG denied Crytek the credits to which it was due under the parties GLA without actually switching game engines is the basis for Crytek’s “credits claim” in this case.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

This is currently free to try so I finally downloaded it. I've never paid a penny to RSI because I saw the debacle coming a mile away (smug mode: activated). But for free I thought I may as well see what all the fuss is about.

It completely matched my expectations to be honest. Star Citizen is a game that should be the holy grail for space sims fans, were it ever to be finished. Currently it's a buggy, incomplete tech demo. At every turn I was initially wowed by what I was seeing, and immediately brought back down to Earth by an irritating bug. Hell, even starting the game was painful. Waking up in a bed I'm informed I should press Y to stand up. I do so, and immediately get stuck. Evidently the game thought I was suddenly in space because my visor froze over, the temperature plummeted and I was informed I had minutes to live. I couldn't do anything so had to respawn.

My experience was littered with this. In pretty much every location I visited I ran into some nasty bug that immediately sucked my enjoyment out of it. The first ship I decided to try (a huge industrial monster called the Aegis Reclaimer which apparently is not an ideal beginner ship!) took me a good ten minutes to find just how to board the damn thing. You call a lift from some tiny unmarked section of the hull. After getting on the lift and pressing a button I immediately fell through its floor and was left on the ground to watch it rise back into the ship.

It's a real shame because this game could be an absolutely incredible experience. I'm 100% sold on the premise and would sell my grandma to play the version Roberts ultimately wants to achieve. But looking at its...storied history and the state of it right now, I just can't see it ever being finished.

I might wait for a sale and buy in at the absolute lowest outlay possible just for the chance to laugh at it pootle about in it every now and again.
I no longer post here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:07 amMy experience was littered with this. In pretty much every location I visited I ran into some nasty bug that immediately sucked my enjoyment out of it.
My brother-in-law and his cousin are both really into the game. They have completely explored all of the existing content and continue with each update.

When he visited us for a week some months ago, I played with the two of them for a couple nights. The game was, bluntly, atrocious. I could see the edges of the diamond poking through the mountain of shit, but it wasn't worth it for me to continue playing. Locations looked well planned, backstories were abundant, and themes were solid. Some little nooks and crannies were obviously very lovingly crafted. There's incredible potential in the game.

I think that if you play it, you're playing it as a pioneer in the 1750's might view crossing America. The bugs, chaos, and broken-ness are features to overcome and survive so you can be one of the first to thrive in the new world.

They spent time laughing at the NPC's who couldn't lower their arms or sit down. They chuckled and played with the only physics-enabled ball in a remote corner of a gym on a station. They guffawed over the way their characters moved when prone. They delighted when one of them would glitch out of a ship in warp transit and be left drifting in the void, alone. They thought it was a personal challenge to find a way to clip through the edge of a ship to kill the last hostile NPC that was locked in a room on board a ship so they could complete a mission.

I couldn't get into it. I wasn't interested in catching diphtheria. I haven't been back.
Black Lives Matter

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I don't blame you Paingod, it really is a painful experience right now. I'm only interested in the slightest because of the enormity of what it could be. I guess I'll continue with it for the rest of the current free period then make a decision when the next sale happens.
I no longer post here.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm still invested at $160 and have been since ... close to the beginning. I still feel like a fool, but a fool who paid a price to be a part of one of the greatest, strangest, longest game development cycles in history.
Black Lives Matter

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Paradroid wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:15 am I don't blame you Paingod, it really is a painful experience right now. I'm only interested in the slightest because of the enormity of what it could be. I guess I'll continue with it for the rest of the current free period then make a decision when the next sale happens.
I'm with you there, Paradroid. I really want this game to succeed, but I never felt that the odds of that happening were high enough to justify sending money to RSI.
Conform or be cast out!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

8th birthday of nothing.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Not nothing, in all fairness. There are the bare bones of a game there, now. It has come a long way - but it's still very much in alpha.
I no longer post here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

8 years and still in alpha? I’d call that nothing.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If nothing else, there have been 8 years of quality spaceship JPEGs.

And it must be setting a record for longest continuously running non-charity crowd-funding campaign by now. :coffee:

Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

hepcat wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:15 pm 8 years and still in alpha? I’d call that nothing.
And I'd call that wrong. Yes, it's taking an absurdly long time. Maybe there never will be a complete game. But they are building a game, and with each major release comes more and more stuff to do and experience. A lot of people play on a daily basis and enjoy themselves. So while it isn't a complete game, it's also far from "nothing".
I no longer post here.