Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by hepcat »

Is it just an internal name change for all genre productions going forward? Or is this a new service of some type?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cosmic Book News
About an hour ago saw Facebook fans receive the notification that Netflix rebranded their Defenders Facebook page into "NX."
The Netflix NX Facebook page appears to be some sort of hub for their comic book and sci-fi TV shows and movies as a new promo trailer released features bits of footage from Stranger Things, Punisher, Altered Carbon, Bright, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Sense8, Voltron, Marvel's Daredevil, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Captain America: Civil War and more.
Regarding the Netflix NX brand, not much is known, but it does tease more information will be coming soon.

"Multiple Universes One Home," the Facebook header image states.
Facebook video
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Up to episode 8 of Iron Fist season 2. I think the biggest takeaway for me is that everyone in New York apparently wears sweatpants 24/7.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:02 pm I was happy to see Rakim as the final musical act.

It had been nearly a decade since Rakim released new music, but that drought ended Friday when the godfather of rap lyricism and one half of the revered duo Eric B & Rakim released a new song, "King's Paradise." The track was written for Season 2 of Marvel's Luke Cage, which premiered on Netflix the same day, but it wasn't entirely new to select NPR staff; they heard it days earlier when the God MC performed at the Tiny Desk.

The New York rap icon wasn't the only legend in the building that day. Ali Shaheed Muhammad of A Tribe Called Quest — who produced and co-wrote "King's Paradise" with keyboardist Adrian Younge under their new project The Midnight Hour — played bass, and rising blues torchbearer Christone "Kingfish" Ingram sat in on guitar.

"King's Paradise" pays homage to the heroes of the Harlem Renaissance as well as its fictional superhero, the bulletproof Luke Cage. Rakim tipped his hat to Philip Payton Jr., Joe Lewis, Lena Horne, Malcolm X, Maya Angelou and Louis Armstrong, before concluding with a few bars about the comic book-inspired series.

Younge then led the nine-member backing band through two of Rakim's undeniable classics: "Paid in Full" and "Know the Ledge." For the former, drummer David Henderson rolled right in with the unmistakable breakbeat, — originally sampled from The Soul Searchers "Ashley's Roachclip." Muhammad, who's been playing bass since age 19 despite being known for his production and DJ work, provided the low end for "Know The Ledge."

Rakim released his first single 32 years ago, yet the timbre of his voice and Dali Llama aura remain strong. Let's hope this is the beginning of another renaissance.

Set List

"King's Paradise"
"Paid In Full"
"Know The Ledge"

MUSICIANS
Rakim (vocals), Adrian Younge (keys), Ali Shaheed Muhammad (bass), Jack Waterson (guitar), David Henderson (drums), Loren Oden (vocals), Saudia Mills (vocals), Angela Munoz (vocals), Stephanie Yu (violin), Bryan Hernandez-Luch (violin), DeAndre Shaifer (trumpet) , Jordan Pettay (saxophone), Joi Gilliam (vocalist), Christone Ingram (Kingfish) (guitar)
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Finished Punisher tonight. Please keep me in your thoughts as I move on to Jessica Jones.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought at first that our least favorite MCU character was in season 2 of JJ, but I was misremembering. So I’m glad to report that there will be no Claire Temple in your path for that season.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That is excellent news.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Finished Agents of SHIELD last night. I spent a moment scratching my head and wondering what they were trying to accomplish, and then the post card came back in my mind and it made sense. A good ending. Shame the beach took so long to get there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:26 pm That is excellent news.
Claire might have actually been an improvement over what you're going to get. JJ season 1 is (by far) my favorite Netflix Marvel season. JJ season 2 is (by far) my least favorite Netflix Marvel season. There is one wonderful episode in the 2nd half, but after I finished I was mad at how badly the season sucked.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Could have been worse. They could have added Iron Fist.

But yeah, it’s not that good. Netflix needs to up their game these last few shows.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Iron Fist has officially been cancelled:
“Marvel’s Iron Fist will not return for a third season on Netflix,” said the Disney-owned comic giant and the streamer in a joint statement to Deadline today. “Everyone at Marvel Television and Netflix is proud of the series and grateful for all of the hard work from our incredible cast, crew and showrunners,” Marvel and Netflix added. “We’re thankful to the fans who have watched these two seasons, and for the partnership we’ve shared on this series. While the series on Netflix has ended, the immortal Iron Fist will live on.”
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JCC

Post by JCC »

I am probably the only one here bummed by the news - but I unapologetically really like Iron Fist. The end of season 2 was awesome. The article indicates Disney might bring it back on their new Netflix competitor service, but I doubt it will happen.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not even two months after it dropped. That’s rather quick.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

No, you are not the only one. I was not a fan of the first season, but I really liked the second season, and I loved the ending scenes of Season 2 and where they were headed. Very surprised and disappointed in hearing this.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm kind of sorry to see the series go. It was better this season and I like how it went from Iron Fist the character to who takes up the mantle of Iron Fist. Also, the Danny and Ward buddy road trip had a lot of potential and I think I would have enjoyed the new Danny and his effect on bullets.

I hope Typhoid Mary finds her way to all the other Marvel Netflix shows. She was fun to watch.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 pm Not even two months after it dropped. That’s rather quick.
Doesn’t take long for Netflicks to figure out the ratings/viewership.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m still working on season 2, but I’m a fan of the show. Hopefully it comes back, or he shows up on the other series.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I too really enjoyed season two.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 was better, but that’s not saying much in my opinion when the bar was set so low by season 1.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Luke Cage cancelled
This axing of Luke Cage came as a surprise. A writer’s room under showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker had been working for awhile, producing scripts, with a formal Season 3 order considered almost a foregone conclusion. The pink slipping of the Mike Colter-led series was ultimately a combo of the age old creative differences and the inability for the parties involved to reach a deal, according to sources. We hear that Netflix was not particularly impressed by the delivered Season 3 scripts. The writers room was recently put on hold, and we hear a behind-the-scenes turmoil ensued this week. There was a disagreement between the sides on a creative direction and possible personnel changes, leading to the cancelation.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ok, that one annoys me.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Really bummed in both shows. Iron fist was finally finding it's way and season 3 looked interesting

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, did not see that coming. :shock:
Covfefe!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

BOOO! I am not a happy camper. I am really starting to not like Netflix right now. Not happy at all!

:( :( :(
JCC

Post by JCC »

Very surprised by the Luke Cage cancellation. Too bad, though I didn't like Season 2 as much as season 1. (Still liked it and found the end interesting.) IMO the show just wasn't the same once they got rid of Cottonmouth. None of the villains after him came close even though I liked them all to some degree.

It's certainly been a bummer of a month for those of us who like the Netflix Marvel shows.

On the bright side, I binged 4 episodes of Daredevil season 3 (I certainly enjoyed the first 2 seasons but never believed DD to be the best of the Marvel shows unlike most) and think it's just been AWESOME so far.
Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Netflix has a lot of crap to wade through these days and it's sad that they couldn't work something out for one of their better shows.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have to wonder if Disney is upping the licensing costs or something.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I have to wonder if Disney is upping the licensing costs or something.
I thought Netflix owned the rights free and clear? To completely scorch the earth due to writer's room issues seems extreme. Perhaps Disney offered behind the scenes a truckload of mouse money to buy it back? Were the ratings good? I certainly liked it and other than the well written Black Lightning there isn't another superhero show with an African American front and center and the storylines that arose from that perspective were refreshing to watch . Also, the soundtrack kicked ass.
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think Disney wanted it for their own - they've repeatedly stated that their upcoming channel is going to be "family friendly" and all of these Netflix Marvel shows are far from it. I could see licensing fees as an issue, though maybe Netflix is hedging their bets that the whole superhero genre is way overloaded and they don't want to lock in another 2+ year deal and sink all that money into what might be dying in the ratings. They know more than anyone what people are watching and maybe they're seeing that they've helped flood the market and they're getting out now and reinvesting in new IP.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, it'd be weird to have started a show that could run 5-7 years without a licensing deal in place that covered the expected run.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And I doubt that Disney has any actual plans for this set of characters, most of whom nobody had even heard of before Netflix. As long as the licensing deal is in place they stand to profit from Netflix's risk. It's free money.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm I don't think Disney wanted it for their own - they've repeatedly stated that their upcoming channel is going to be "family friendly" and all of these Netflix Marvel shows are far from it. I could see licensing fees as an issue, though maybe Netflix is hedging their bets that the whole superhero genre is way overloaded and they don't want to lock in another 2+ year deal and sink all that money into what might be dying in the ratings. They know more than anyone what people are watching and maybe they're seeing that they've helped flood the market and they're getting out now and reinvesting in new IP.
They are all in on this "Millarworld" thing. Haven't really read any of his comic work so can't say if this is good or bad. I guess I'll tend towards "good" since it's nice to see some support for expanding the world of comic books into visual media.
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The days of heroes are coming to an end,,,like WW2 and Zombies before it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wait a minute...World War 2 is over??

Say goodbye to this bunker in the Philippines!
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Used to be so many ww2 shooter pc games. On tv you had Band of Brothers, at the theater Saving Private Ryan among many others. Seems to be fads that pass through. If you could predict the next one you could get rich.

Side note : Space games seems to be making a return to the PC..finally.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
DD*

Post by DD* »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 pm And I doubt that Disney has any actual plans for this set of characters, most of whom nobody had even heard of before Netflix. As long as the licensing deal is in place they stand to profit from Netflix's risk. It's free money.
Could be - you can tell Marvel (and now Disney, I suppose) only go with super-popular characters. You know, like the Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man. :ninja:
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DD* wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:48 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:01 pm And I doubt that Disney has any actual plans for this set of characters, most of whom nobody had even heard of before Netflix. As long as the licensing deal is in place they stand to profit from Netflix's risk. It's free money.
Could be - you can tell Marvel (and now Disney, I suppose) only go with super-popular characters. You know, like the Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man. :ninja:
Not at all what I meant. I mean that if you're dealing with profitable licenses, you only pull them back if you have other plans for them. I can't imagine that Disney has actual plans in place for Luke Cage or Jessica Jones, as opposed to something like The X-Men.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Wow, despite the actual lack of Daredevil, this season has been really good so far, maybe my favorite season yet. And I am really liking the nun who has been taking care of MM/DD. Great season!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yup, I was just about to write the same thing. I finished episode 4 just a little bit ago and I'm really lovin' all the attention they're giving the other characters. Especially Kingpin. Vincent D'Onofrio just nails it.
Covfefe!