Assassins Creed Odyssey

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chaz

Re: Assassins Creed Odyssey

Post by Chaz »

The zero fall damage is neat, but I read that the default is you take fall damage, but it will never kill you. So if you just want to go base jumping, you can do that from the start as long as you don't jump into a bandit camp or something.

Note I haven't tested the theory myself.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doesn't it start out with a cliff tossing? :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chaz wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:55 pm The zero fall damage is neat, but I read that the default is you take fall damage, but it will never kill you. So if you just want to go base jumping, you can do that from the start as long as you don't jump into a bandit camp or something.

Note I haven't tested the theory myself.
A good fall leaves with 1 hp so don't even land next to a chicken... THAT would be funny.

I hit level 50 at 57 hours in. I still appear to have a decent bit of story to go. I haven't been able to upgrade everything to level 50 due to lack of hides, but it's good enough. My assassin damage is over 100k now. Polemarches go down on crit assassination now, no need to follow up with the Heroic Strike.

I keep telling myself to push on the main quest but then I get distracted on side quests and various opportunities. One day I will finish this (likely that day is today... we'll see)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:41 pm I hit level 50 at 57 hours in. I still appear to have a decent bit of story to go. I haven't been able to upgrade everything to level 50 due to lack of hides, but it's good enough. My assassin damage is over 100k now. Polemarches go down on crit assassination now, no need to follow up with the Heroic Strike.
I'm playing in dribs and drabs, partly due to my wrist problems but also because sometimes the sameness gets to me... quests are take something somewhere, bring something back from somewhere, kill people, or maybe some combination. And yes, I know, that's pretty much the definition of this game series, but still :roll:

I guess it's because the increased RPG-ish of the game isn't hooking me. I'm not all that interested in constantly swapping weapons and armor depending on whether I'm in assassin mode or warrior mode. I'm thinking I need to just pick out a weapons set for each and then just keep upgrading and engraving.

And I'm not even bothering anymore with cleaning out animal locations, those have gotten rather tedious.

But certainly the map is interesting, though so far it's not grabbing me like Origins did. I guess not having pyramids, temples and enormous buildings isn't the fault of ancient Greece :roll:. It's a very vertical map, so I'm glad I can climb pretty much anywhere. And there are caves, including one where, oddly, there was a blacksmith. Must not get a lot of business there :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do AC games like this and BF save your progress to a cloud someplace? If so Ill reinstall BF and get back to it. If not im not bothering.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:41 pm I keep telling myself to push on the main quest but then I get distracted on side quests and various opportunities.
I feel this tendency more than in Origins. I was just cruising down the coast to Andros, where my next Odyssey quest is waiting, but I see a docking symbol and a waiting quest and figure, hey, it's worth a look 8-)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:48 pm Do AC games like this and BF save your progress to a cloud someplace? If so Ill reinstall BF and get back to it. If not im not bothering.
Yes, they should if you are playing them through Uplay. I believe that Black Flag does this because it shows up on my Ubisoft club page with current stats.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya I always play it through Uplay so I can get my bonus stuff. I have lots of those Uplay coins and get the content if I like it. TY.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Even if you're playing through Steam, you're playing through Uplay. I don't think there's any option to play without using Uplay, in some form or other.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this was weird. I happened to be in a new town and as I was wandering around I spotted the Nation Leader, sitting pretty much alone. Even though I have no interest in doing a Conquest battle, I figured what the heck and killed him. It turns out he was also a Cultist :shock: so that was helpful. But now I have a bounty level of five and it would cost more money than I have to clear the bounty, so I have to watch my step :ninja:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Yeah, I accidentally bumped into a leader in Phokis too. I literally bumped into him (it was night, I was jumping off a rock or something, didn't see him there), and apparently he didn't like that. Next thing I know, I'm being chased by him and his five bros. Took me a while to shake them too. He was a bunch of levels above me, and so were his boys, so I didn't want any part of that action.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Yeah, and I just want to say, you may be a priestess in a temple or just some guy on the road, but no, I'm not going to hunt down that boar/bear/leopard/jabberwocky for you. None, not going to happen. Go find some other hero to get themselves gutted :shock:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:39 pm But now I have a bounty level of five and it would cost more money than I have to clear the bounty, so I have to watch my step :ninja:
Kill the bounty sponsor.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:15 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:39 pm But now I have a bounty level of five and it would cost more money than I have to clear the bounty, so I have to watch my step :ninja:
Kill the bounty sponsor.
Yup, stick it to that malaka! (in a stealthy manner of course)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:15 pm
Kill the bounty sponsor.
I did that. Turns out that the sponsor of that two thousand dracmae bounty on me was an ordinary soldier who picked a bad night to be sleeping in a tent at the edge of a camp :D
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Bought the game, chose Kasandra, first fight she faces I can't attack, the left or right mouse button does nothing. What am I doing wrong????
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont own it or have played any of it and yet its ruined my gaming fun. I want it so bad that nothing else is fun to me. Ive tried at least 30 games. Something has got to work.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:21 pm I dont own it or have played any of it and yet its ruined my gaming fun. I want it so bad that nothing else is fun to me. Ive tried at least 30 games. Something has got to work.
The OO Effect strikes again. Time to come over to the dark side. And bring donuts will you?

I just checked... I've played 25 hours but have discovered only 14% of the regions :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 pm Bought the game, chose Kasandra, first fight she faces I can't attack, the left or right mouse button does nothing. What am I doing wrong????
No idea. I play it with an xbox controller.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:51 am
Lorini wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 pm Bought the game, chose Kasandra, first fight she faces I can't attack, the left or right mouse button does nothing. What am I doing wrong????
No idea. I play it with an xbox controller.
Ditto. My only thought would be: is the game trying to teach you anything? I seem to remember that, on various steps of the tutorial, if the game said, for example, "press B to block" or "press whatever to open this menu", it REALLY wanted me to do that, and sometimes wouldn't let me do anything else until I did. So, if you just got a prompt to say, learn to use the dodge function, maybe it won't let you attack until you do that.
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 pm I just checked... I've played 25 hours but have discovered only 14% of the regions :roll:
48 hours, 38% of regions. So, yeah... this is a lot of game.
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:39 pm But now I have a bounty level of five
On the plus side, you got a Uplay achievement for that, at least!

- Ash
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Asharak wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:40 pm I just checked... I've played 25 hours but have discovered only 14% of the regions :roll:
48 hours, 38% of regions. So, yeah... this is a lot of game.
69 hours 85% of regions discovered. I am pretty sure I finished the game, but the credit didn't roll. I am showing 97% story progression, but I have no idea what else I can do.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:04 am 69 hours 85% of regions discovered. I am pretty sure I finished the game, but the credit didn't roll. I am showing 97% story progression, but I have no idea what else I can do.
Clearly, that 3% is reserved for the DLC content. If you want to finish the game, you are required to buy the Season Pass and continue playing the game for the next six months. ;)

- Ash
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah that was it. I thought I was following the on screen instructions but I didn't do it properly. Game now flowing right along, thanks!

I don't play with my Xbox controller because it's a pain to tune it to the PC and then tune it to the Xbox. I don't want to buy another controller so K/M it is.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enjoy this one.

PC Gamer
Ubisoft will not release a new Assassin's Creed game in 2019, chief executive Yves Guillemot has confirmed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I noted today that Odyssey is an educational game. Because apparently I've been pronouncing 95% of Greek locations and personalities wrong my entire life.

Me: "Oh, the Oracle at Del-FY!"
Kassandra: "Beautiful no? But it is pronounced Del-PHEE."

Me: "Oh, it's the spear of Le-oh-NYE-das!"
Kassandra: "You mean the Spear of Le-oh-NEE-das?"

Me: "Well at least I have plenty of drach-MAH."
Kassandra: "I'd say you have plenty of drach-MEE."

Me: "Wow, look how beautifully they rendered ATH-ens."
Kassandra: "It's AITH-ens."
Me: "Wha....?"
Kassandra: "Nah, I was just f-ing with you it's Ath-ens."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why would a professional company allow such bad pronunciations ?

BTW I love this game. And I dont even own it. I may be forced to reinstall Syndicate and get back at it until I can own this. Something about running my own gang ....if I actually ever get to.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:13 pm Why would a professional company allow such bad pronunciations ?
Maybe because people in ancient Greece pronounced things differently than we do? I know there are changes in pronunciations from singing medieval music, and that's only 500 years ago. I'm comfortable that with all the research they do the pronunciations are intentional.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

gbasden wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:03 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:13 pm Why would a professional company allow such bad pronunciations ?
Maybe because people in ancient Greece pronounced things differently than we do? I know there are changes in pronunciations from singing medieval music, and that's only 500 years ago. I'm comfortable that with all the research they do the pronunciations are intentional.
If no one uses the same speach patterns then how would we know that? No recording from ancient Greece .
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Didn't mean to start a controversy, I just thought it was amusing and interesting. The AC developers have traditionally been very attentive to historic/cultural details, so I'd assume they know better than I how things were pronounced by the Greeks.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:40 pm Enjoy this one.

PC Gamer
Ubisoft will not release a new Assassin's Creed game in 2019, chief executive Yves Guillemot has confirmed.
I'm appreciative that we got two AC games in two years. Now, can we please have a new Watch_Dogs?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 pm
If no one uses the same speach patterns then how would we know that? No recording from ancient Greece .

They mostly do it with music with looking at rhyming and alliteration in songs and poems. If you can tell a certain set of letters makes a sound that rhymes with a different set of letters, you can predict how they are being used. It's fairly common - we worked with a professor that specialized in Spanish languages to help us translate and pronounce a 16th century song and he had reference materials where they had figured it out.
raydude

Post by raydude »

gbasden wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:32 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:36 pm

They mostly do it with music with looking at rhyming and alliteration in songs and poems. If you can tell a certain set of letters makes a sound that rhymes with a different set of letters, you can predict how they are being used. It's fairly common - we worked with a professor that specialized in Spanish languages to help us translate and pronounce a 16th century song and he had reference materials where they had figured it out.
Wait, I think Daehawk was being sarcastic and now he's messing with you. At least, that's what I gathered from the initial question.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont even know what I posted when. As the way the poster stated the words is the way Ive always known them. I see no reason why the dev would change them to incorrect ways. Then someone stated its the way they spoke them in ancient times. I then was serious when I said theres no way to know that as they did not have a dictionary with pronunciation cues. I took that posters post to be a sarcastic post directed at me simply to be anti Dae at me.

Anyways Im reinstalling Syndicate since I can find no way in hell to get this game right now. I will either have some fun or ruin ever wanting Odyssey again :) So win win.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:40 pm Anyways Im reinstalling Syndicate since I can find no way in hell to get this game right now. I will either have some fun or ruin ever wanting Odyssey again :) So win win.
Until Origins came out, Syndicate was my favorite AC game by far. Great, likeable characters, interesting side-quest chains, fantastic map, cool things to do. In fact I'd like to give kudos to all the studios that have worked on the recent AC games. The game worlds are amazing detailed yet feel very logical and organic. I love just wandering all over them. In fact, while I do like the Origins/Odyssey big maps, I still think that the London of Syndicate is mind blowing. As to a favorite, I'd have to say that it's Origins right now, I still have a lot more of Odyssey to explore.

I've got in over 25 hours on Odyssey and I've only completely explored three regions and partly explored two others. And I'm going back to my original starting region because I have a couple of puzzles to do and I have someone to kill. My criteria for completing a region to my satisfaction is that I've explored every "?" and completed all identified gold "!" quests. And also the impact quests (those are the ones with the diverting arrow symbol). I don't necessarily have to complete the goals at every location (get treasure, kill polemarchs or wild beasties) but at least I know what they are.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Also, show of hands, who keeps running out of an enemy location to quick save as often as possible?

:hand:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had a disaster of epic proportions today in Athens. I was trying to take out a small enemy location (my level). No biggie. Sneak in, kill some guards, loot some treasure, sneak out.

Except one guard saw my assassination attempt on a captain and boxed me into an alleyway. This led to a comedy of errors as I tried to fight my way out and wound up slaying a couple of civilians in the process.

I now had caught the attention of not only the initial captain I was fighting, but three or four guards. Oh, and a bounty hunter, since I was now a civilian killer.

So I start backing away, trying to thin the growing herd following me at range. This got messy in the crowded streets of Athens, and now every man, woman, and child within arms reach of a shovel was after me. I'm backing my way through Athens, leaving behind me a trail of corpses like some serial killer version of Hansel & Gretel.

For another ten minutes I'm desperately strafing around, somehow barely surviving and taking Athenian soldiers out right and left. My bounty level is at 5 by this point, and no sooner do I kill one bounty hunter then another spawns in on top of me. Finally I back into a lion's cage, so I smash it and run. I climb up a building laughing my ass off as this lion proceeds to tear into the angry mob, which scatter. I find myself alone with only one bounty hunter, who I dispatch. Yes, home free!

That is, until I jump back into the street. It seems my lion friend had not only taken out my pursuing mob, he had taken it upon himself to run into a nearby Level 20 garrison (I am 16), and proceeds to unleash hell on that barracks. These soldiers, in their attempt to slay the offending beast, somehow release Level 20 lions of their own.

My gloating turns to horror as a giant lion leaps upon me and desynchronizes my face from my skull. Thus concludes one of the most epic battles I've ever had in any Assassin's Creed game ever. :D
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Guys I don't understand the bird. Unfortunately the explanation text went by me before I could read it. I'm at the vineyard and it says to call the bird but then what? As is probably obvious this is my first Asscreed game.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lorini wrote:Guys I don't understand the bird. Unfortunately the explanation text went by me before I could read it. I'm at the vineyard and it says to call the bird but then what? As is probably obvious this is my first Asscreed game.
I'm not sure what the key is on PC, but if you're using a controller you can hold down right trigger and the bird will "zero in" on various objects - enemies, locations, treasure chests, etc. You kind of have to move the circle around until it locks in on something.

The bird is almost a necessity to tag enemies before running into a fort or camp. Once an enemy is tagged, you'll always be able to know where it is at all times. You'll also know where all the treasure chests and things are to be able to complete the location.
Brian

Post by Brian »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:07 pm So I start backing away, trying to thin the growing herd following me at range. This got messy in the crowded streets of Athens, and now every man, woman, and child within arms reach of a shovel was after me. I'm backing my way
Reminds me a bit of Roland leaving the town of Tull in The Gunslinger.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:01 am
Lorini wrote:Guys I don't understand the bird. Unfortunately the explanation text went by me before I could read it. I'm at the vineyard and it says to call the bird but then what? As is probably obvious this is my first Asscreed game.
I'm not sure what the key is on PC, but if you're using a controller you can hold down right trigger and the bird will "zero in" on various objects - enemies, locations, treasure chests, etc. You kind of have to move the circle around until it locks in on something.

The bird is almost a necessity to tag enemies before running into a fort or camp. Once an enemy is tagged, you'll always be able to know where it is at all times. You'll also know where all the treasure chests and things are to be able to complete the location.
So I did the tagging but then didn't know what to do or what the tag actually did for me. Am I supposed to walk in then? Thanks YK :)
Black Lives Matter