concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:59 am For our anniversary I bought the wife and I tickets to relive our respective first concerts. They were different artists but they are doing a show together nearby. Yes, the wife and I are going to see Debbie Gibson and Tiffany (and Lisa Lisa) in concert. I finally found a situation where I think I will truly regret having given up alcohol.
First up, Tiffany. Wow, she hasn't aged well. Wow her singing also hasn't aged well. Still kind of fun.

Second act, Lisa Lisa. Wow, she hasn't aged well. Wow her singing held up very well. Wow the sound system in this place sucks. Her dancers and backup singers were really good too.

Finally, Debbie Gibson. Hey, she has kept herself together pretty well. Huh, the mic isn't work and the mic on her piano is also not working. OK, they got the mics fixed... and why is she yelling into the mic? The sound was terrible and her voice was really harsh. There was one line where she actually sang and sounded really good but other than that it was very harsh. Not very Debbie Gibson. The production value in the choreography and such was really pretty good for such a low rent show, but the sound... dear god. The best part was when she did a medley of the artists that inspired her which was a bunch of 80s pop that took me back.

All in all, Lisa Lisa was the star of the show. It was easily the act I was least looking forward to, but I came away a fan.

Oh the crowd... a lot of mid 40s women showed up for the "Women of the 80s" show, can you imagine that? It might have been 15% guys. I told my wife to stay with me and keep me safe.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Weezer and The Pixies double headlining

I have long been a fan of Weezer, but for some strange reason never got into the Pixies. I mean, I knew their top 3 songs or so, but somehow avoided really sitting down and listening to them. Until now.

Holy shit. I can't believe I've never done a deep dive into this band before now. Their sound is right up my alley, and you don't have to go far into their body of work to hear all the influences that came after. And before for that matter.

In fact, I can't believe they didn't go after Weezer for almost directly copying their sound! :D Throw in Cake, too, for that matter.

Anyhoo, amazing stuff...one of life's little joys finding an old band/book/movie that lights you up like this, in middle age!

As a side note to the Pixies, The Breeders are playing about 10 minutes from my house this week or next I think. Until today, I had no idea how those two bands were so connected. I saw the Breeders open for a band decades ago (Lenny Kravitz maybe? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Can't remember. Anyhoo, they really only have one or two songs I like, and even though it's a small venue, will pass.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 pm Weezer and The Pixies double headlining
I bought tickets to see this show in Portland next April. Never thought I'd spend $75 a head to see the Pixies play an arena but here we are. They've come a long way since I first saw them open for Love and Rockets in 1989
As a side note to the Pixies, The Breeders are playing about 10 minutes from my house this week or next I think. Until today, I had no idea how those two bands were so connected. I saw the Breeders open for a band decades ago (Lenny Kravitz maybe? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Can't remember. Anyhoo, they really only have one or two songs I like, and even though it's a small venue, will pass.
I'm a fan of the Breeders but the last album or two have been pretty mediocre. I've seen them so many times at this point that I haven't bothered to go the last few times they came to town. You should check out Pod and Last Splash and ignore the rest.

Once you've gone down that rabbit hole you can move on to Throwing Muses. :mrgreen:
you don't have to go far into their body of work to hear all the influences that came after. And before for that matter.

In fact, I can't believe they didn't go after Weezer for almost directly copying their sound!
As far as I'm concerned most grunge bands were just warmed-over Pixies copies - take Nirvana for example
I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily that I should have been in that band—or at least a Pixies cover band.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Been a long damned time but I'm off to see Samantha Fish tomorrow.
They've come a long way since I first saw them open for Love and Rockets in 1989
The ushers threatened to kick me and a friend out for dancing at that show. Reason number I don't know what why I I like small venues. Love and Rockets shred that night. It was the first time I ever saw Daniel Ash play guitar and I was blown away.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

adding:

Nov 17: The Orb
Nov 21: Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Exodor wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:13 pm
As far as I'm concerned most grunge bands were just warmed-over Pixies copies - take Nirvana for example
I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I have to admit it. When I heard the Pixies for the first time, I connected with that band so heavily that I should have been in that band—or at least a Pixies cover band.
Yep, anybody who did the "Loud-Quiet-Loud" routine in their songs ripped off The Pixies.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Z-Corn wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:47 pmYep, anybody who did the "Loud-Quiet-Loud" routine in their songs ripped off The Pixies.
Not sure about that (except again, for Weezer), but certainly Kim Deal's bass lines were copied like mad. You can hear that signature bass wackiness in a lot of the Breeders stuff as well of course.

Continuing to listen to the Pixies (I think I've listened to all the albums and the remasters since this morning), I hear the following bands:

Rolling Stones
Talking Heads
Husker Du/Sugar/Bob Mould
Cake
Weezer (which now sounds like a Pixies cover band to me :P )
Yeah Yeah Yeah's
Nirvana of course

They are just all over the place, in terms of genres...hard to pigeon-hole them really. And I love that.

As for Throwing Muses, that's a band I could never get into for some reason. Not for lack of trying, just no connection.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Yes, I loved that Pixies/Weezer show, and they are coming to Columbia again in March.
I have but one advocate.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

The Iron Maidens tomorrow night!
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

https://www.jambase.com/article/nick-ma ... live-video

Nick Mason touring with some dudes doing late 60's PF songs. is this gonna be worth $50...
Carpet_pissr

concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ugh. Just added Ariana Grande to my list of concerts I’m headed to. My 11 YO worships her, so this will be a Christmas or bday present.

Probably my turn to make the auditory sacrifice since I think my wife made the last one.

So it’s:
Mumford and Sons
Pixies/Weezer
...and Ariana Grande
:)

‘One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is...not the same!’

Maybe I can recruit Coop to take her! One could argue that Ariana Grande is a more popular, modern version of Tiffany, no?Image
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:02 am Nov 8
The Selecter & The English Beat feat. Ranking Roger
just found out The Beat cancelled and the replacement was just Rhoda Dakar (of The Bodysnatchers) in a DJ set, and the ticket price didn't change. i'm going to get a refund
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Behemoth/At the Gates/Wolves in the Throne Room tonight.

Will be a blast, but I'm going to need a full case of Advil after this one. Both Behemoth and AtG produce rather enthusiastic crowds, and I can't not get right in the mix.

Old guy mosh FTW
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I just grabbed tickets for Muse's Washington, DC stop on their upcoming tour. Their live shows rule, so I am definitely all in for this.

I will be buying tickets for a joint Kamelot/Sonata Arctica tour at some point; they don't hit the DC area until September 2019, but tickets are already on sale!

In non-musical concerts, I'll be seeing Craig Ferguson do stand-up for the second time next month. Hobofabulous!
Hodor.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:39 pm I just grabbed tickets for Muse's Washington, DC stop on their upcoming tour. Their live shows rule, so I am definitely all in for this.
/jealous

They haven't announced any shows anywhere near Portland. They're a must-see for me so I really hope they announce more dates soon.

Took the thirteen year old to see AwolNation and Twenty One Pilots last night - they're not my thing but they're her second-favorite band. A lot more old people at this show than the last one I took her to see (Panic! at the Disco). They were actually better than I expected and put a lot of effort (and money) into the stage show. Lots of fire and frickin' lasers.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I saw the Pixies last night, playing the entirety of Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa (plus a few other songs). End-to-end music, with virtually no banter.

It was a great experience. Their musicianship is top-notch, and the fact that Frank Black can still hit deliver those high-pitched yowls at his age is something of a miracle. One the other hand, the play-through-two-albums concept didn't leave a lot of room for spontaneity, so the evening lacked the raw energy of the very best rock shows.

We were standing behind a family with two kids, a teenager and a pre-teen. At one point, the teenager leaned over to his dad and yelled, "It's too loud!" The dad looked so disappointed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cirque du Soleil Crystal - Jun 16

Queen + Adam Lambert: The Rhapsody Tour - Tue, Jul 23
It's almost as if people are the problem.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

King's X again in January

Weird Al again in June

Mark Knopfler again in September
I have but one advocate.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

JetFred wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 pm King's X again in January
I'm seeing them again (for the 12th time, yes....I counted) Sunday.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

New album in Feb!
I have but one advocate.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Well, if The Supersuckers are gonna keep touring I'm gonna keep seeing them.

Got tix for their 30th Anniversary Tour in March. They are doing their first two albums in their entirety and then a country set. Stoked about the country set. This will be like the 37th time we've seen them and only like three of those have been country shows.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Breakin' the Law, Breakin' the Law.

I've seen them to country sets the last couple of times I've seen them, it made me wonder if that was the way they were going out (and I assumed they were going out the last couple of times I saw them due to health problems in the band back then)
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm Breakin' the Law, Breakin' the Law.

I've seen them to country sets the last couple of times I've seen them, it made me wonder if that was the way they were going out (and I assumed they were going out the last couple of times I saw them due to health problems in the band back then)
They are making a big deal about this 30 Year Tour and it's worldwide so I'm starting to think there might not be a lot of tours left. Who knows though, Eddie is healthy now. He had the same cancer Blackhawk did.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Just commit to seeing Samantha Fish again March 16th(?). That's two shows in under six months for me. Someone call someone.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

was going to see Alexander Hacke (of Einsturzende Neubauten) later this month, but i'm going to a music festival in Leavenworth, WA that weekend.

a friend's band on February 9 https://soundcloud.com/nemesissy-1 - Le Butcherettes is the same night, but the friends get first priority

Spear of Destiny - Mar 2

The Chills - Mar 9 (FINALLY A US TOUR)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:53 pm I'm super jealous, have fun! Alestorm is an absolute blast live, and I'm guessing Gloryhammer will be as well. Honestly, just go with the flow, metal shows are all about people there to have a good time.
Are you going to see Gloryhammer in all their cheesy power metal glory on your cruise in a couple weeks?
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:53 pm I'm super jealous, have fun! Alestorm is an absolute blast live, and I'm guessing Gloryhammer will be as well. Honestly, just go with the flow, metal shows are all about people there to have a good time.
Are you going to see Gloryhammer in all their cheesy power metal glory on your cruise in a couple weeks?
Yes, assuming Trump fuckery doesn’t shut down air travel.

They’re my #2 band I want to see on the boat, behind Obituary.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Interpol in Portland on 2/1.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

King's X, 5 minutes from my house Saturday night.
I have but one advocate.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Busy weekend for me:

Friday Night - Peter Murphy and David J

Saturday night - Colin Meloy solo (in a church!)

Paid extra to get VIP tickets to the Colin Meloy show which includes a pre-show meet and greet
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Exodor wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:53 pm Friday Night - Peter Murphy and David J
i'm checking StubHub on Sunday to see if there are any reasonably priced tickets for the Seattle show
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Let us know how this is. They're here next week, but I've read a couple not so flattering reviews of this tour.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 am
Let us know how this is. They're here next week, but I've read a couple not so flattering reviews of this tour.
I really enjoyed it - the band seemed tight and Peter's voice was good. He looks a lot like Tywin Lannister which is a little distracting. He also threw a bit of a temper tantrum before the first encore, apologizing and saying something about the lighting crew being "a bunch of cunts". They played a few less songs than the first night of the tour and skipped "Ziggy Stardust" which was a bit of a bummer.

Last night was the Colin Meloy show.

We met him (again) and had a nice little conversation about their show last summer:

Enlarge Image

And had pretty good seats in the second row of a small venue

Enlarge Image

He even played his 10 minute autobiographical song about his appearance in a TV movie.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks for the report.

I’m leaning towards skipping, as I’d have to go solo, which I don’t really like doing. Plus, tickets are more expensive than I’d like at $45. I’d rather save that for drinks on the cruise. :)
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Only took 45 freaking years, probably longer than a lot of you have been alive, but I bought tickets today for Mott the Hoople in April.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Leaving in a couple hours for our 4th annual 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise. Good lineup this year, although there isn't that one "MUST SEE" band on board like there has been in previous years.

Based on the run order they released this morning, I'm planning to catch:

- Atrocity
- Bloodbath
- Blood Red Throne
- Carnation
- Dark Funeral
- Ensiferum
- Fleshgod Apocalypse (final set of the cruise is their new album world premier)
- Gloryhammer
- God Dethroned
- Kalmah
- Mors Principum Est
- Napalm Death
- Nekrogoblikon
- Ne Obliviscaris
- Nile
- Obituary
- Pestilence
- Soulfly (playing Sepultura's "Roots" album in its entirety) :shock:
- Svartsot
- Twilight Force
- Tyr

Then probably a bunch of additional filler bands, between meals, booze, and (maybe) some sleep. :horse:
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Just curious, are there any ports of call or does everybody just stay on the ship and rock out the whole time?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Z-Corn wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:45 pm Just curious, are there any ports of call or does everybody just stay on the ship and rock out the whole time?
There's one day in port, this year's is in Labadee, Haiti. Watching the hungover horde of pasty, black clad, tattooed heathens swarm over a cheery tropical beach is truly a sight to behold. :lol: With shows running literally all night though, we typically either sleep through port, or just get off the boat and wander around the beach for a couple hours. This year, I'll be up until at least 4:00am that morning, as Ne Obliviscaris' Pool Deck show starts at 3:15am (schedule here).

There's two shows I want to see that are at the "fuck you o'clock" slot this year: NeO at 3:15am on Day 2, and Twilight Force at 5:00 am on Day 3. The 5am ones are pretty awesome though, as you end up catching the sunrise over the ocean as the set finishes up. It's incredible.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm Watching the hungover horde of pasty, black clad, tattooed heathens swarm over a cheery tropical beach is truly a sight to behold. :lol:
That's exactly why I asked...It'd be awesome to wear corpse paint on a beach in Haiti!