Perpetual Photography Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

geezer

Re: Perpetual Photography Thread

Post by geezer »

Enough wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:00 pm Very nice shots all, we are a diverse group!
And we're so handsome (and pretty) too! ;)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

geezer wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 pm
Enough wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:00 pm Very nice shots all, we are a diverse group!
And we're so handsome (and pretty) too! ;)
Mom? Didn't you pass away decades ago? ..But thanks. Im off to school now!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enough

Post by Enough »

We had a great trip to Oregon with many nice sunsets this summer, but this one was probably my favorite:

Boiler Bay Spectacular by Michael Menefee, on Flickr
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wooow!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kinda reminds me of Ansel Adams. That iceberg looks like a fortress.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Not good photos, but I was hoping someone could help me out. The sun was red this morning in Portland where we are visiting. However my iPhone 7 camera can’t seem to get the color right. Except in one photo. I have no idea what I did on that one. I tried a bunch of times to mimic it, including focusing in other spots, changing the few options the camera allows changed. The background is darker on the one that the sun turned red, not sure how that happened either. In all shots the reflection on the water is the correct red.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Best picture of my trip so far.Image
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Enough

Post by Enough »

Fitzy wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:14 am Not good photos, but I was hoping someone could help me out. The sun was red this morning in Portland where we are visiting. However my iPhone 7 camera can’t seem to get the color right. Except in one photo. I have no idea what I did on that one. I tried a bunch of times to mimic it, including focusing in other spots, changing the few options the camera allows changed. The background is darker on the one that the sun turned red, not sure how that happened either. In all shots the reflection on the water is the correct red.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
If you touch your finger to the sun, it still didn't turn out red? Do Apple cameras have an exposure adjustment option to add or reduce exposure? If so, try -1 or -2 EV and go from there. I think it's possible it's over-exposing the sun but it could also be the internal computational photography stuff of Apple just deciding to do it. If you can shoot with a different camera app and touch your finger to it that could be a way to sort of test this idea.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems a lot like a problem I have with my camera. its old and doesn't have tons of features. When I want to take a pic of the moon as it appears it always brightens the pic to appear almost as if it was taken in the day. All I want is a nice bright glowing moon...not the sun :)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Enough wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm If you touch your finger to the sun, it still didn't turn out red? Do Apple cameras have an exposure adjustment option to add or reduce exposure? If so, try -1 or -2 EV and go from there. I think it's possible it's over-exposing the sun but it could also be the internal computational photography stuff of Apple just deciding to do it. If you can shoot with a different camera app and touch your finger to it that could be a way to sort of test this idea.
I tried touching all over, including right over the sun. I was never able to replicate that one picture. There’s not a lot of choices on the iPhone camera, but I had forgotten some camera apps do allow more. I’ll have to look into that. Thanks. Ultimately I do know I need a better camera.

Thank you for the ideas.
Enough

Post by Enough »

This year's Perseid Meteor Shower was absolutely fantastic! The lack of moon (too cool part of the world experienced a solar eclipse before the show) and dark location really helped a bunch. Here's my first take:

Meteors, Mars, and the Milky Way by Michael Menefee, on Flickr

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enough wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pmIf you touch your finger to the sun
I don't recommend it.
Enough wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:54 am This year's Perseid Meteor Shower was absolutely fantastic! The lack of moon (too cool part of the world experienced a solar eclipse before the show) and dark location really helped a bunch. Here's my first take:

Meteors, Mars, and the Milky Way by Michael Menefee, on Flickr
Awesome!
geezer

Post by geezer »

Salgado is utterly amazing.
Moliere wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:32 am Image

source
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

These were taken at the Los Angeles Zoo with the Google Pixel 3 in Super Zoom mode. Thoughts?

Black Lives Matter
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Lorini wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:01 pm These were taken at the Los Angeles Zoo with the Google Pixel 3 in Super Zoom mode. Thoughts?
I like the Tiger
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Enough

Post by Enough »

Was this the max zoom? It looks a little bit soft? I know on my Pixel 2 I can get away with half strength zoom pretty well but things start to degrade pretty badly at max zoom. If you have any more samples I would love to see them, I'm very intrigued to see how Google does with their new digital zoom approach.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Enough

Post by Enough »

Just a heads up that I downloaded the new Google Pixel camera apk that includes Night Sight and oh my goodness it's a game-changer for mobile photography. Here's samples from my 2XL, keep in mind that the first was literally shot in a pure dark room besides the candles. The second was well after sunset outside. These are extreme examples that show noise, but even coming from full-frame DSLRs this is one hell of an achievement vs any other night shot mode I have yet tried on mobile and I've tried a bunch:

Here's samples without and with:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I am [im]patiently awaiting the rollout of the updated app to my Pixel 2. The Verge's writeup has my expectations very high.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:38 pm I am [im]patiently awaiting the rollout of the updated app to my Pixel 2. The Verge's writeup has my expectations very high.
2 things. First, Night Sight is now out for all Pixels. It's awesome.

Second, the Pixel 3 Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals look pretty good. Between those, the trade-in values for Pixel 1/2 ($125/$291 currently through Google), and the fact that I'm due for an employer subsidy this year, I may bite and upgrade my wife (Pixel 1) and my (Pixel 2) phones. Anyone else?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those pics with Night Sight are amazing. All software is it?. .Wow.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:40 pm Those pics with Night Sight are amazing. All software is it?. .Wow.
And likely much patience. Have a friend who used to do night-time exposures like this, on film. Thankfully, with the advent of digital photography, it means cameras are far more sensitive to light and take much less time to capture. But back in those days, it meant all-nighters taking several exposures. So, he'd be out at night in the middle of winter in -30C (-22F) surrounded by nature, and capturing the skies. Winter often tends to have better skies, the cooler the better, especially if the air is crisp as the air is generally clearer with less particles in the air. Astronomers are dedicated people :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wire

Post by wire »

I entered this photo into a juried art show run by the county recently and it got selected to be in a year long exhibit at the county administration building along with 59 other pieces of art. Have no clue what that means but being as I'm not a landscape photographer it's kind of cool one of my only landscapes got selected. I entered in a more abstract photo that wasn't selected but figured that would be the case because Monterey is really into plein air painting.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice shot, and congrats.
geezer

Post by geezer »

wire wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:40 pm I entered this photo into a juried art show run by the county recently and it got selected to be in a year long exhibit at the county administration building along with 59 other pieces of art. Have no clue what that means but being as I'm not a landscape photographer it's kind of cool one of my only landscapes got selected. I entered in a more abstract photo that wasn't selected but figured that would be the case because Monterey is really into plein air painting.

That's fantastic - and deserved. It's a lovely shot with a really nice warm artistic tonal process to finish it.

I was actually popping to post something similar - I was notified over the weekend that my image, "Aspen and Adobe," took 2nd place worldwide (fine art professional category) in the 13th Annual B&W Spider Awards. It's a juried monochrome photo competition with the jurors drawn from places like the Tate collection in London, and various galleries, and media agencies etc.. I'm shocked, to say the least, but very happy.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Holy smokes, very nice shots both of you! The artistic intent is spot on for both.

Here's my most recent,

Halfmoon Creek Gold
by Michael Menefee, on Flickr

Hey Thanks Landowner!
by Michael Menefee, on Flickr

wire

Post by wire »

Thank you and this is a beautiful photo. I enjoy it on so many levels.
geezer wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:21 pm
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

geezer

Post by geezer »

Who's got new stuff to share? :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I got in on the January moon fun.

geezer

Post by geezer »

Nice catch :). I like how you've captured the transitional period of the eclipse. I have similar shot, probably a fraction later in the cycle than yours, which has a really cool blue cast in the lighter area but still the deep red in the shadow.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Nice shot, Zax! Our weather has been terrible this winter, so we didn't get a terribly great view of it. What we did see of it though, it was a rather dark eclipse.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Thanks! Yes, between this, the Great American Eclipse, and a couple of other attempts, my weather luck has been phenomenal. Which tells me that I'm due for a fully cloudy evening the next time I try...
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, the Great American Eclipse was great. We traveled all the way to a small town in Oregon for that, and our weather couldn't have been better. Originally my Dad had a spot in mind near the Painted Hills, but they had closed that off because they didn't want the increase in traffic which is understandable. We ended up viewing on the motel owner's own property which was up on a plateau with a perfect horizon. It was also a farm with a few horses, and I was looking forward to seeing if they'd have any reaction as I'd heard some wildlife do, but they were very calm horses and never knew anything was going on. It did get perceptibly cooler and darken as it neared totality, and while my Dad had seen one previous Total Eclipse in Mexico in 1991, he felt this one was much brighter and more distinct. It's one thing to hear about it and talk about it, but until one sees it themselves, it's hard to comprehend, and it was just amazing to see the corona effect in person. It's like this crazy magical orb with filaments hanging out in front of you, looking like it's come from another world.

Did you happen to see the video I put together? I can't remember if I posted it here or not.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I don't think I saw it. Post away! Here's my compose from Glendo, WY, pop 205, that day.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

great shots. Me and my wife spent the eclipse on the porch together. Was a pretty amazing time.