[Kickstarter] Bard's Tale IV and Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered by inXile

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: [Kickstarter] Bard's Tale IV and Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered by inXile

Post by Max Peck »

The Bard's Tale Trilogy was updated today, with the addition of The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

HUGE, game-changing update to BT IV, wow:

A big Bard's Tale 4 update adds grid movement, save anywhere, and respeccing

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-big-bards-tal ... especcing/

I guess I'll be waiting even longer to play this in earnest (already put several hours in), which I actually don't mind. Would rather play a better finished product later, than a half-baked version as soon as it was released (obviously way too early in this case):

"Some major features, like a better inventory system and controller support, are still in development, and the studio is also working "a few other nice things that we can't talk about yet."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"The Bard's Tale 4 is getting a new, free dungeon and a big 2.0 update"

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-bards-tale- ... 20-update/
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

2.0 unlocks in 21 hours. I'll be putting my NMS multi-tool away for a few days I suppose...
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

After getting my ass handed to me over and over in Code Vein I installed BT 4.

The beginning was very well done though I didn't realize that the Bards Tale universe was sooooo Scottish with a little France thrown in at least for accents.

Does anyone know do you ever get to build your own party or are stuck with what the game forces on you? I am only a couple hours in and have a party of 3, me and two trows both of whom I had no choice adding.

Some beautiful music so far. Am playing with the stock starting character
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was considering this over the weekend as it is also included in gamepass ultimate, but with Outer Worlds only a few days away I didn't want to dive into something that I would just put on pause after a few days. Sorry, no idea on your questions, just thought it was funny that you started this as I was thinking about it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:06 am After getting my ass handed to me over and over in Code Vein I installed BT 4.

The beginning was very well done though I didn't realize that the Bards Tale universe was sooooo Scottish with a little France thrown in at least for accents.

Does anyone know do you ever get to build your own party or are stuck with what the game forces on you? I am only a couple hours in and have a party of 3, me and two trows both of whom I had no choice adding.

Some beautiful music so far. Am playing with the stock starting character
At the Inn when you get to it, there is the ability to purchase adventureres. Not sure I remember how much it costs, but a little like how they did in Pathfinder. I didn't play it long enough to see if the pre gen party members contributed to the story line. I ran into a bug with a puzzle at one of the main areas you go to first, and got frustrated. I think that bug was fixed in the extended release, and it only happened to a few as I recall. Don't even remember what the bug was honestly...I think it was pretty minor, just moved on to other games. Always ment to go back to it, as I really did enjoy the combat, and the whimsy of the game.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:33 am I was considering this over the weekend as it is also included in gamepass ultimate, but with Outer Worlds only a few days away I didn't want to dive into something that I would just put on pause after a few days. Sorry, no idea on your questions, just thought it was funny that you started this as I was thinking about it.
Same thoughts exactly. I downloaded it though on my Xbox and will probably give it a try....if I can drag myself away from We Happy Few and my new community in State of Decay 2.
Covfefe!
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I am not at a part where there is anyone to hire, the person is there but has no one available, so I most still be doing the intro as I am having to find specific people to go back to the inn.

I have a rogue and now a warrior and of course me/bard.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Jaddison wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:42 pm I am not at a part where there is anyone to hire, the person is there but has no one available, so I most still be doing the intro as I am having to find specific people to go back to the inn.

I have a rogue and now a warrior and of course me/bard.
You can switch out party members at some point, I believe at the Inn. I don't think I ever hired anyone, just switched out NPC's that I found.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just bumping this to mention I got it from this month's Humble Choice and have been having a lot of fun with it. The combat is more tactical than I expected. I don't really remember the BT games as I have played several hundred games since I last played them and even without the benefit of nostalgia I think this is worthwhile. The puzzles are generally pretty simple, but still satisfying. I think I am getting close to the end (party is level 18 and I think max is 20) with 29 hours played.

I passed on it originally because of all the odd design choices. As of now it works much more like you would expect a modern game to behave.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:39 pm I think I am getting close to the end (party is level 18 and I think max is 20) with 29 hours played.
I was not getting close to the end. I just finished it a bit ago and my characters were level 26 or 27. I was confused by the achievements, level 18 got you a "ready for war" and level 20 an "overachiever" achievement.

Anyway some good challenging fights all the way through. Lots of fun
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still chugging along to make sure I give this a chance, but something about the presentation just isn't sitting right with me, and I can't figure out what. It's just enough to stop it from clicking with me, though. I'd say I'm probably five hours in so far. One thing is that I feel like I'm being led around by the nose from one objective to the next, and it's usually only a few turns between them. Hopefully it opens up more later on, but straight alleyways with only one possible route aren't all that appealing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)