Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 am While I'm here, this should make ND happy

https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/p ... healthcare

but I'm still down 22+% on my purchase price, which has not been made up dividends, much less taxable dividends.
It's one reason why I own both CVS and Amazon. We'll see how that plays out.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So, without getting into $$ specifics, what is in everyone's portfolio these days?

I currently own shares in AAPL, AMZN, BMY, CVX, D, GOOG, MDXG, MSFT, NSC, PRMTX, SIRI, VZ, and USNQX (all long), and EPNH (short) in my non-retirement accounts, and shares in the TSP's C, S, and I funds for my retirement account.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

BA, UTX, F, CAT, DIS, TSM, BRK.B, AMZN, GOOG & GOOGL, DUK, NTR, GG. Probably a few more I'm not thinking of.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

KMI, AA, BAC, CAT, HD, HON, INTC, KO, LB, MDLZ, MMM, MO, MSFT, PAYX, PM, SIRI

All bought in 2006 and not touched since (well, some were the results of spinoffs and the like).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

47% Standard Equities: BRK, WMT, CVS, AAPL
22% REITS: ROIC, UTF, VTR, KIM, AVB, CCP
7% Commodity (sorta): WY
3% Bonds
13% International
9% Cash
0% High Risk

Each group has some ETFs or mutual funds.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

AMZN, CVS, ESRX, JNJ, CELG, DUK, MCHP, F, GM, CCJ

Several are within a few % points of being sold:
DUK (+9% - dividends are/were the big draw here, and they have done their job - the return % would be much higher of course if I included the dividends)
JNJ (+13.7% - same comment about divvies as above)
ESRX (+31% - no divvies)
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's interesting seeing what stocks are common amongst several of us, and which stocks are individual outliers, so I appreciate all the answers so far.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FTEC, RSP, IVV, IVW, XAR, PRGFX, VFIAX, VMGMX, VSGAX, VTIAX.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm embarrassed to say what some of losers are... so in the manner of ND

67% = 401k. They have fund names but lets just say 33% aggressive 66% Growth, mainly represented by the indexes in growth and "science and tech" in the aggro
1% = Traditional IRA "Ivy Balanced"
6% = Roth IRA 90% indexes and very broad funds (VYM VYMI)10% F and bad long term decisions such as FRT, FGP, and CVS
--
2% = Cash
7% = short term CDs
--
16% personal portfolio 75% indexes and very broad funds (VYM VYMI) 10% F 5% CVS 5% FRT 5% sheer stupidity... Um.... High risk...

As to individual securities that aren't stupidity, merely losers I still keep holding for the long term, that would be F CVS FRT FGP. Fortunately, I've kicked myself enough that even as their value sinks they've become a small enough portion of total worth that I'm not crying. Essentially my monetary worth is tied to SPY, VT and VTI... It's sure not tied to my house.

This talk reminds me. How do you shop for a financial planner? I've hit the stage in life where i need to start making the right moves. For instance, I'm debating putting he brakes on my 401k. I've hit the point, I think where I'd rather take the large tax hit now, so I don't risk having "too much" income when I stop working to prevent me from say, being able to get insurance through the exchanges at a reasonable rate... assuming the health care exchanges are still a thing by the time I need to make use of that sort of thing. I really have no idea how to plan for a day when work isn't my mommy and daddy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now looks like a good entry point, only I continue to tie up all new money into building my CD ladder. My old money in individual investments...Oi... Beating after Beating but now my index old money is feeling it too.

Still, I''m likely to continue just building my CDs until the end of the year, or longer if I need to spend on big things between now and then, even if it seems like opportunity is there right now.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Wall Street extended its losses Wednesday afternoon as markets continued to skid, with the Nasdaq leading the losses. The Dow lost more than 550 points in afternoon trading. The Standard and Poor’s 500-stock index was approaching its longest losing streak in two years.

A surge in Treasury yields appears to be fueling the losses, as the 10-year U.S. Treasury note spiked last month and has continued to climb throughout October.

The tech sector was hit hardest, with Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Netflix all trading in the red.

“Clearly stocks are spooked by higher rates and maybe some inflation that seems to be creeping in,” said Michael Farr, CEO of Farr, Miller & Washington. “That suggests the Fed will keep raising rates, and that’s taking the wind out of the stocks that have done the most, particularly in the tech sector."

The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 2.2 percent, or more than 550 points. The S&P 500 was down 1.9 percent, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq saw losses of 2.3 percent.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:07 pm Now looks like a good entry point, only I continue to tie up all new money into building my CD ladder. My old money in individual investments...Oi... Beating after Beating but now my index old money is feeling it too.

Still, I''m likely to continue just building my CDs until the end of the year, or longer if I need to spend on big things between now and then, even if it seems like opportunity is there right now.
Never be in a rush or try to catch the bottom. There's always time. Or as Buffett says, no called third strikes in investing. Piling into cash/CDs for the rest of the year isn't a terrible idea.

Aetna/CVS just got conditional approval from the DOJ for the merger.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:14 pm Piling into cash/CDs for the rest of the year isn't a terrible idea.
It's not terrible for me because I'm long overdue to plan a continued access to a short term need from money as part of my planning for the future. My goal is a forever until it's necessary cycling monthly two year ladder.

My only regret right now is not selling securities to to build that ladder right away. ;) While I'm in it for the long haul, all my index gains have done hedge the losses on my individual securities, so on paper, I'm about the same as when I started, minus a a whole lot of taxes in dividends and the extra costs to do my taxes every year that involve my losing money in an LLP every year. So in addition to losing 95% value over five years, I have to spend a to of time and money accounting for them in my taxes. And yet I don't sell, I'll probably keep them until they declare some sort of way to absolve me of my shares and give me nothing.

Aetna and CVS are also making me feel like Joe Pesci when it comes to filling my prescriptions. I swear to Pancake, I should sell my CVS at my huge loss there on principle for how much I hate the way Aetna does business.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Even after last week being so rough SPY down another 3.5 today. Looking at the top 5 holdings AAPL down 4.5% MSFT down 5.5%. AMZN down 6%. BRK.B down 4 and three quarters% FB down over 4%. Youchee.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm Even after last week being so rough SPY down another 3.5 today. Looking at the top 5 holdings AAPL down 4.5% MSFT down 5.5%. AMZN down 6%. BRK.B down 4 and three quarters% FB down over 4%. Youchee.
I lightened up tech last week but still looking at some big losses today. Been a while since I've seen 5 red digits left of the decimal.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Directed at LM:

Unless you're an active investor and closely monitoring, looking at any individual snapshot of the economy or stock market is a fool's errand.

If you're years away from needing the money, you should be looking at long term solutions.

I'm not saying never monitor your money, I am saying don't get spooked by short range data. I know it's hard not to be unhappy when your investments decline, but the trend is always up, and if you don't need the money during that short range, then it's not actually hurting you (much?) when it comes time to cash in.

Interest rates are on the rise, in part because the economy is doing so well. That always hits the stock market.

I'm like a toddler learning his alphabet as far as investing goes, but the "alphabet" is more than enough for most people.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:54 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm Even after last week being so rough SPY down another 3.5 today. Looking at the top 5 holdings AAPL down 4.5% MSFT down 5.5%. AMZN down 6%. BRK.B down 4 and three quarters% FB down over 4%. Youchee.
I lightened up tech last week but still looking at some big losses today. Been a while since I've seen 5 red digits left of the decimal.
I'm actually thinking about picking up some more AMZN with the drops this week. Earnings are ~2 weeks away, and it's bounced heavy for something like 6 straight earnings calls.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I big old pile of confirmation bias for me.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-glo ... buffer947f

Though I still don't think the sky is falling like I did pre-housing collapse and I think point #6 "6. You and your addiction to ETFs: Mindless buying has created a boom in stocks based on momentum, not fundamentals:" (I mention this so I don't feel like a clickbait advertiser) Our mindlessness is a casualty of modern living in the US. We can't simply have an interest earning savings account at .01%, we don't have pensions, and we have an Internet that allows us to treat the "mindless" investing as surrogate for a savings account earning nothing.

Still, this viewpoint is why I've been building a ladder, vs expanding my positions and part of why I've been debating cutting back my 401k contributions. Topping the list are for me are Trade war, China, Brexit in that order and none of those are coming to clean conclusion soon.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I've seen some ads for Swell Investing, which is a robot advisor for socially responsible investing. I'm intrigued with the concept, and they allow fairly cheap minimum investments which is a must for me. But their fee is apparently relatively high at 0.75%.

Does anyone have any experience with Swell, or other socially responsible investing options?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote:I big old pile of confirmation bias for me.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-glo ... buffer947f

Though I still don't think the sky is falling like I did pre-housing collapse and I think point #6 "6. You and your addiction to ETFs: Mindless buying has created a boom in stocks based on momentum, not fundamentals:" (I mention this so I don't feel like a clickbait advertiser) Our mindlessness is a casualty of modern living in the US. We can't simply have an interest earning savings account at .01%, we don't have pensions, and we have an Internet that allows us to treat the "mindless" investing as surrogate for a savings account earning nothing.

Still, this viewpoint is why I've been building a ladder, vs expanding my positions and part of why I've been debating cutting back my 401k contributions. Topping the list are for me are Trade war, China, Brexit in that order and none of those are coming to clean conclusion soon.
If you aren't too close to retirement, cutting back 401k contributions isn't too smart. Worst case, move the contributions to bonds.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:47 am If you aren't too close to retirement, cutting back 401k contributions isn't too smart. Worst case, move the contributions to bonds.
I've been mulling this over and trying to get informed on this for a while. I'm not sure this is the case. I've bounced around from thread to thread (and with people not here) on this topic and I am coming to the conclusion that beyond the match (which is an incentive for free money), even if my tax burden may be higher now than it should be post 59.5 when I am entitled to start drawing, I am more prepared to deal with taxes and their implications now than I will be post 59.5 and the more money I am forced to draw from a taxable income pool (as opposed to a taxable dividend or taxable gains) the more I have deal with those implications.

Also close to retirement is vague. I'm close enough to be planning more explicitly but not close enough to have goal date set. Four years? Eight years? A decade? More? I don't know until the plan becomes more clear.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just remember that dollar cost averaging is a thing.
Hodor.
Carpet_pissr

Overlords Investment Conclave [OIC] Recruitment Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote:AMZN down 6%. Youchee.
Youchee? I call that a buying opportunity! :D

(Seriously. Will be adding more if it slides a little more next week)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What's the difference between mindlessly buying ETFs and skillessly trying to pick winners and throwing the same amount of money into the market? Because that's all that's changed for the average retirement fund investor.

If not that, then buying a managed fund that costs more and still gets out performed by the market. That's why ETF's exist in the first place. Mindless money has ALWAYS been dumped in the market. The idea that somehow the money is less skillfully invested now compared to in the past, and that's why this particular down cycle is happening is hilarious.

I have a co-worker that landed a biggish one, so now he tells us all about his awesome portfolio, except no details. Never any details. Besides the big fish he landed, then it's all details all the time. Worse, he's got a young guy believing he's a savvy investor, so young guy is looking to him for advice and guidance. It's like watching drumpf work on a smaller scale. Just a constant barrage about how awesome he is but never any details when pressed.

I tried to remind the young guy to do a little critical thinking, but he wants none of it, so reap what you sow.

My point being, Awesome guy has been dumping skilless money into the market for decades, and not into ETFs. There are armies of awesome guy out there.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

God help me, I just bought even more Ford. I have no idea why I am drawn to buying that company like a fly to honey. IT'S (possibly) A TRAP!

Missed my AMZN opportunity at around $1700 to buy more...doh!

Considering buying AGN as well, since I sold ESRX and have a crap ton of cash that I've been holding for many months. Burning a hole in my virtual pocket with this mini correction.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:39 pm God help me, I just bought even more Ford. I have no idea why I am drawn to buying that company like a fly to honey. IT'S (possibly) A TRAP!

Missed my AMZN opportunity at around $1700 to buy more...doh!

Considering buying AGN as well, since I sold ESRX and have a crap ton of cash that I've been holding for many months. Burning a hole in my virtual pocket with this mini correction.

I keep wanting to but I'm holding course on building a CD ladder. On the one hand I want to be buy Ford for the long haul and right now their stock is valued at what? dividends of over 7% a year on purchase. Only Brexit and "winning trade wars is easy" and their inability to be agile with EV even after they were early to the hyrbid market makes me fear that the $.60 in annual dividends might not hold out.

And so, after I've built my ladders foundations, I'm likely to go right back to the indexes
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MarketWatch
Shares of Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. fell more than 6% Friday after Chief Executive Lourenco Goncalves slammed analysts during the mining company’s earnings call earlier in the day, accusing them of failing to understand numbers and targeting a Goldman Sachs analyst for most of his angry remarks.

Cleveland Cliffs CLF, -3.75% stock hovered at its lowest since Sept. 11 and was on pace for its largest percentage loss since late June.

The company earlier Friday reported third-quarter GAAP earnings that beat Wall Street expectations, announced it was resuming a dividend payment, and highlighted that it was fresh from renewing a union contract.

Goncalves fired his first salvo soon after the conference call’s first remarks wrapped up.

He told Lucas Pipes, an analyst with B. Riley FBR who had a question about the dividend, that he was “one of the best” but some of the analysts “can’t read numbers.”

It quickly went downhill from there and turned more personal, with Goncalves appearing to direct most of his vitriol at Goldman Sachs analyst Matthew Korn.

Despite the company paying down some debt, it had been asked earlier on Friday how it was possible that its net debt was still the same, Goncalves said.

“It’s unbelievable that this big (bank) has still employ this type of people, you guys should resign for your lack of knowledge of things ... it’s not like you don’t understand our business, you don’t understand your own business,” the CEO said, according to a transcript of the call provided by FactSet.

“You are a disaster. You are an embarrassment to your parents. With this being said, we are going to use money to reward the long-term shareholders. So if the stock continues to go down, based on these kids that play with computers and somebody else’s money, we are going to buy back stock,” he said.

“We are going to screw these guys so badly that I don’t believe that they will be able to only resign. They will have to commit suicide. So we are going to screw these guys so badly that it will be fun to watch,” Goncalves said.

“You are messing with a wrong guy. That’s my message to you,” the CEO said as he neared the end of the tirade.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He's an amazing negotiator though. Has the market priced that into the stock yet? That could be the problem.

:ninja:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe he's joining Elon Musk school of CEO investor relations?

I can't tell if I'm joking....
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'm going to guess that he is Brazilian.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Cash is starting to burn a hole in my sweep fund! If this continues tomorrow, I might unload it all.

And again, therein is the issue of timing problematical. It's just a guess as to when this correction will re-correct(!), or if it could be the start of a full-on bear. You just never know.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

No idea but it does look tempting to abandon my current course of CD buying to increase my equities, my horrible horrible ability to choose equities (Though I'd just start dumping more into SPY/VT/VTI). Tempting but no, I'm like the idea of eventually having a CD ladder that should be able to carry me two years of LordMortis style of living expenses. I think that will be a further stress reduction in my life. I haven't commit to what comes after my basic ladder is built.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:11 pm Cash is starting to burn a hole in my sweep fund! If this continues tomorrow, I might unload it all.

And again, therein is the issue of timing problematical. It's just a guess as to when this correction will re-correct(!), or if it could be the start of a full-on bear. You just never know.
Wiki: List of recessions in the United States
The average duration of the 11 recessions between 1945 and 2001 is 10 months
Give a month after the close of a quarter to certify it as a recession, and you'll have ~2 quarters before it bottoms out.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:28 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:11 pm Cash is starting to burn a hole in my sweep fund! If this continues tomorrow, I might unload it all.

Wiki: List of recessions in the United States
The average duration of the 11 recessions between 1945 and 2001 is 10 months
Give a month after the close of a quarter to certify it as a recession, and you'll have ~2 quarters before it bottoms out.
Can't tell if serious. I'm not hitting the panic butt like I did 2007 and 2008 (which indecently let me know I'm impotent financially even when I hit the panic button) but our safety is gone. We used it up and never replaced it. We even used it's removal as an excuse to get drunk. I see nothing to make me believe a financial downturn would control burned into an average downturn.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My thoughts are that the initial fall will be quick, but we're going to stay down for a longer period. One of the myriad of reasons I'll have my MMIS in two months.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's all gone.
Dow plunges more than 600 points in another day of losses, officially wiping out its 2018 gains

The Dow Jones industrial average dove more than 600 points Wednesday as another wave of volatility swept through U.S. financial markets.

The blue-chip index bobbed in the red most of the session, dragged down by a weak housing report and a beleaguered technology sector.

The tech-heavy Nasdaq took the steepest losses of the day, down 4.4 percent. It’s now in correction territory, down 11.4 percent from its September 2018 high, according to Bespoke Investment Group.

The sell-off in tech capped a horrendous month for the darlings of Silicon Valley, with painful losses in share value on Wednesday: Netflix lost 9.4 percent. Facebook lost 5.4 percent. Amazon, 6 percent. Apple, 3.4 percent.

The Dow’s drop was a sharp reversal from its upward momentum as trading opened that came off of a strong earnings report from aircraft maker Boeing. By day’s end, it had wiped out all of its 2018 gains, falling 606 points, or 2.4 percent, to close at 24,584.50. The Dow is looking at its worst month in eight years.
The energy sector was also a heavy drag, dropping 3.8 percent on the day. Energy is the poorest performing sector in the last five sessions, down 8.6 percent.

A weakening Chinese economy has combined with an upcoming U.S. election to cast an air of uncertainty over markets.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Has anyone have any experience with LEAPs? I was thinking of buying some LEAP calls on a stock that bullish on over the next two years, but I'm not sure if its actually a good move vs just buying and holding the stock. Cheaper though, even when going deep into the money.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

xwraith wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:46 am Has anyone have any experience with LEAPs? I was thinking of buying some LEAP calls on a stock that bullish on over the next two years, but I'm not sure if its actually a good move vs just buying and holding the stock. Cheaper though, even when going deep into the money.
It's a good idea if you're reasonably sure it will go the direction you want. You can get a lot of leverage. The downside is time works against you rather than for you. You get the risk premium, but pay the time value.

Berkshire Hathaway is actually a really good company to buy long dated calls on since they've essentially set a buyback floor and that book value rise has been relatively predictable.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The best way to make time fly is to by LEAPs. It's amazing how fast a year or two will go by while you're waiting for share price appreciation. :grund:

The important thing is to lay your goals out ahead of time. Do you want to own shares at expiration or just take the profits? What if your calls double in 6 months?

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:54 pm
I'm actually thinking about picking up some more AMZN with the drops this week. Earnings are ~2 weeks away, and it's bounced heavy for something like 6 straight earnings calls.
Well, I didn't, and probably a good thing. Amazon missed 3q... sort of
The e-commerce behemoth reported earnings per share of $5.75 on revenue of $56.6 billion. Analysts polled by Bloomberg expected the company to report earnings of $3.14 per share on revenue of $57.07 billion. Revenue from Amazon Web Services, its cloud business, grew 46% to $6.7 billion.

Shares of Amazon fell more than 7% after Thursday’s earnings report, after getting hammered during the broader market sell-off this week.
So, revenue almost doubles expectations, but a slight miss in sales causes panic (along with some guidance there). Hmmm. AWS is definitely a BEAST however.