LGBT issues thread (was Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases

Post by Blackhawk »

The more ways you can define a family, the more people can find a family that fits them.

The alternative, of course, would just be for governments to get out of the business of defining families. It would remove the issue entirely.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rip

Post by Rip »

You may be surprised but I am all for that. If I am stupid enough to want five wives no reason for the government to care....
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Nothing you say is surprising.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hawaii
On Friday, Hawaii's Intermediate Court of Appeals upheld a previous ruling that found a Hawaii Kai bed and breakfast was discriminatory for refusing the lesbian couple a room because of their sexual orientation.
Throughout the case, lawyers for the owner of Aloha Bed & Breakfast claimed Phyllis Young's religious views allowed her to refuse to rent a room to a same-sex couple.

Upon investigation, Young admitted to turning the women away because she felt that homosexual relationships were "detestable" and "defiled the land."

The court rejected that argument and found that the home business broke Hawaii's public accommodation law, which requires equal access to facilities and services regardless of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
On it's website, the business appears to still be up and running and touts itself as a Hawaii Kai Christian B&B home on a ridge with breathtaking views of east Oahu.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am You may be surprised but I am all for that. If I am stupid enough to want five wives no reason for the government to care....
It seems more and more to me that you'd be a good fit for the FLDS.
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 pm
Rip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:51 am You may be surprised but I am all for that. If I am stupid enough to want five wives no reason for the government to care....
It seems more and more to me that you'd be a good fit for the FLDS.

Perhaps, except for the entire not believing in god thing.........
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, you are in a bigger cult now, I guess. :mrgreen:
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday passed an amendment allowing taxpayer-funded adoption agencies to deny LGBTQ families the ability to adopt a child based on religious objection.

The amendment appears on a funding bill for the Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education. If it remains in the final bill, the amendment would cut 15% of federal adoption funding to states and localities that penalize adoption agencies that refuse to place children in families that conflict with the agency’s “sincerely held religious beliefs or convictions.”

The amendment also bars the federal government from refusing to work with adoption agencies that discriminate.
In addition to LGBTQ people and same-sex couples, the amendment would also impact interfaith couples, single parents, married couples in which one prospective parent has previously been divorced, or other qualified parents to whom an agency could have an objection.
link
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Trump drains HIV/AIDS funding to pay for child migrant detention
Slate reports that budget documents show funding has been reallocated within the Department of Health and Human Services from the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program to pay for the Trump administration’s aggressive stance on child migrants, which may require thousands of people to be detained.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Phew, problem solved.

If Reagan can ignore the disease then that's good enough for today's GOP.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 pm JONAH loses "gay conversion" consumer fraud case.
Several states already prohibit licensed therapists from providing “conversion therapy” to minors and a bill pending in Congress would classify commercial conversion therapy and advertising that claims to change sexual orientation and gender identity as fraud.
Since Congress isn't doing anything...

Delaware
Licensed mental health professionals can no longer practice gay conversion therapy on minors in Delaware after its governor signed a new law Monday. With the signing, Delaware becomes the 15th state to restrict the practice, the Human Rights Campaign said in a statement.
Delaware joins Washington, Maryland, New Hampshire and Hawaii in passing measures this year to restrict conversion therapy, according to the Human Rights Campaign. Almost 50 bills had been introduced targeting conversion therapy in 24 states as of April.
When the bill was introduced last year, conservative groups such as the Delaware Family Policy Council said it defined conversion therapy in a way that censored the free speech of health professionals and limited families' care options.

Republican Rep. Richard Collins introduced an amendment to allow conversion therapy if the patient requests it, Delaware Public Media noted. That amendment failed.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Ugh. I normally fall on the side of free association, but I have seen the horrific results of these so called conversion therapies and they should be removed from any semblance of state accepted, removed from medically accepted (I'm not sure any reputable medical organization supports it), and outright banned on minors with heavy protections for adults under family/religious pressure. Maybe just outright banned is best.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Conversion therapy is simply torture. Pure and simple. It should be abolished completely.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

New York
ROOT, N.Y. (NEWS10) - Marriage equality was passed in 2011, but this might be the first time a gay couple has been denied a marriage certificate here in the Capital Region.

A sign reading “justice court” is posted outside the town of Root’s clerk’s office. It’s justice that one same-sex couple says was lacking when they were denied a marriage certificate.

Dylan Toften and Thomas Hurd posted this message on Facebook about their experience, calling the clerk a “bigot” and asking for the governor to step in.

Governor Andrew Cuomo is, in fact, doing so, launching an investigation into the matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The last sentence of that article...
NEWS10 ABC spoke with someone who agrees with the woman’s beliefs but says she might be in the wrong business.

...OK? Why bother to include an anonymous source with nothing to add?

Maybe it's a required word-count thing - kinda like making the margins bigger to make your 1.5 page paper stretch onto a third page. :mrgreen:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth, the most drastic move yet in a governmentwide effort to roll back recognition and protections of transgender people under federal civil rights law.
link
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Defiant wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:18 pm
The Trump administration is considering narrowly defining gender as a biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth, the most drastic move yet in a governmentwide effort to roll back recognition and protections of transgender people under federal civil rights law.
link
Ask the Carolinas (probably only one of them, but I can't remember which one :oops:) how legislation to make scientific facts illegal are working out for them.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Not the only thing the government should get out of.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Re: LGBT issues thread (was Supreme Court to hear same-sex marriage cases)

Post by Isgrimnur »

GreenGoo wrote:
Defiant wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:18 pm
link
Ask the Carolinas (probably only one of them, but I can't remember which one :oops:) how legislation to make scientific facts illegal are working out for them.
Haven’t you heard? We’re moving forward with Super Carolina.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fuck Trump, the Republicans, and the Government in general. I could save time by simply stating fuck morons. That encompasses them all.

I hope the Republicans on this board are smarter than the average GOP and can think for themselves and know right from wrong. Smart from idiotic. You're a good group of folk so I suspect you can tell which GOP Im speaking of and not necessarily you.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CDC
The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Tuesday suggested a Trump administration proposal that would define someone’s sex at birth risked heightening stigma around transgender people.

The director, Robert Redfield, did not directly criticize the proposal. But when asked whether any such effort might hamper efforts to treat HIV, especially among transgender women, he replied: “We need to understand that stigmatizing illness, stigmatizing individuals is not in the interest of public health.”

He made the remarks in an interview with STAT Executive Editor Rick Berke at the opening session of the Milken Institute’s Future of Health Summit.

Redfield said he was not involved in developing the policy, which was first reported by the New York Times.
The Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the CDC, has declined to comment on the substance of the proposal directly. On Monday, the Washington Post reported that, while HHS is backing the proposal, the Department of Education is pushing back.

Redfield also argued that stigma is harmful more broadly, saying that it interferes with actually treating a disease, such as addiction to opioids.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Justice Department today told the U.S. Supreme Court that businesses can discriminate against workers based on their gender identity without violating federal law.

Solicitor General Noel Francisco told the high court that a civil rights law banning sex discrimination on the job doesn’t cover transgender bias. That approach already has created a rift within the Trump administration, contradicting the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s view of the law it’s tasked with enforcing.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-lab ... -is-lawful
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Your employer will be the final arbiter of what gender you are, thankyouverymuch.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What on earth would lead her to believe that Drumpf was *ever*, in any way, shape or form, a friend to the LGBTmorelettershere community?

Caitlyn, remember when thousands upon thousands of people,including but not limited to many specifically LGBT people, asked you wtf you were doing, and whether you had lost your mind, supporting drumpf? Remember that? That was a clue. There are mistakes, and then there is incomprehensible stupidity.

The world is a more frustrating place than ever, when reality tilts like this. I am completely willing and able to argue differences of policy based on reasoned arguments from both sides. I am almost completely unequipped to handle this nonsense.

It's unhinged. There is no hinge. Hinges, why have thou forsaken me?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"But my tax situation is much better."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:53 am
"But my tax situation is much better."
Which is really what the GOP has been boiled down to. Trading ethics for profit. That's the platform. They've gotten so close to scraping the bottom of the barrel that they're in danger of digging right through the wood and creating a hole six feet down.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Enough

Post by Enough »

After the leaking of a Trump administration memo arguing that transgender people don’t exist as a distinct class of people because people can only be biologically male or female, calls to a transgender suicide hotline have multiplied by four.

Trans Lifeline, the only suicide hotline for trans people operated by trans people, received four times the average number of calls in the days following the memo's leak; the day the news broke, the hotline received two times the regular volume of first-time callers contemplating suicide.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Enough wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 pm
After the leaking of a Trump administration memo arguing that transgender people don’t exist as a distinct class of people because people can only be biologically male or female, calls to a transgender suicide hotline have multiplied by four.

Trans Lifeline, the only suicide hotline for trans people operated by trans people, received four times the average number of calls in the days following the memo's leak; the day the news broke, the hotline received two times the regular volume of first-time callers contemplating suicide.
Sadly, his supporters just see this as an added benefit. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enough wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:51 pm

To be filled under "intended consequences."
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

A school official tried to force a trans boy to use a urinal in front of him to ‘prove’ he’s a boy
While he was in a stall, Assistant Principal Lee Livengood entered the restroom and started berating Critchfield about using it, the teen said.

“I saw he was blocking the entrance to the bathroom. He kept raising his voice and saying, ‘Why are you in this bathroom? You shouldn’t be here.’”

Livengood allegedly told Critchfield to “come out here and use the urinal” to prove that he belongs in the boys room.
Well, he's putting the "ass" in Assistant Principal.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Why anyone would do that to a kid, it has to stem from some pretty deep seated feelings of one's own inadequacies or gender issues.

Also, Lee Livengood? Who's the Principal? Fred Feelenit? Gordon Goodlife?

MYT
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Well damn, the conservatives were right, there are adults trying to watch kids in the bathroom.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Tit for tot. :doh:
School Punishes Male Teacher For Refusing To Watch A Naked Girl In The Boys’ Locker Room
http://thefederalist.com/2018/11/14/flo ... aked-sons/

LGBT? Doesn't this thread title require at least an additional "Q" now too? How else am I supposed to keep up?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

It's so strange how those Federalist stories only source either directly back to themselves or to other ultra-conservative groups (i.e. "Liberty Counsel"), and never to any actual reporting of any of the purported events.

Gee, I wonder why that is...
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:42 am It's so strange how those Federalist stories only source either directly back to themselves or to other ultra-conservative groups (i.e. "Liberty Counsel"), and never to any actual reporting of any of the purported events.

Gee, I wonder why that is...
Here is the other version of facts https://www.tampabay.com/article/201811 ... /311209732 They don't differ on the fact of placing an adult in a locker room with a minor of the opposite sex. I've personally never been in a locker room where people don't change clothes or take showers?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We couldn't even have paid them to let a girl in our locker room as a teen and change with us.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:18 am Why anyone would do that to a kid, it has to stem from some pretty deep seated feelings of one's own inadequacies or gender issues.

Also, Lee Livengood? Who's the Principal? Fred Feelenit? Gordon Goodlife?
And his hall monitor Ben Dover.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Walking ass pustule Mike Lee is currently holding up the confirmation of the EEOC commissioner because she's gay and has "radical views on marriage".
Members of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the federal agency that enforces civil rights laws in the workplace, are routinely reconfirmed in a bipartisan manner. Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, however, is bucking the norm by putting a hold on the reappointment of Chai Feldblum, the first openly LGBTQ person to sit on the commission, because of her “radical views on marriage.”
And the best part:
“One nominee to the commission’s five-member board wants to use the federal agency’s power to undermine our nation’s founding principles,” Lee wrote on his website earlier this year in a post titled “A Threat to Marriage from the EEOC.”

“Don’t think for a second that you, your family, and your neighbors will be left alone if Feldblum gets her way," he wrote.
I'd love to hear him try and articulate:

a) What national "founding principle" is being undermined, and
b) The exact way in which me, my family, and my neighbors will "not be left alone" by the simple fact that gay couples can marry

I despise that man with the fury of a thousand suns.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The exact way in which me, my family, and my neighbors will "not be left alone" by the simple fact that gay couples can marry
This is what I've wondered for years and years. Just how does treating everyone fairly and allow them the right to marry affect my marriage or ability to marry. These folk that do everything they can to tell others how to live their life cant be human.