News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

msteelers

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by msteelers »

I burned through the first season of The Good Place when I was home sick for a couple of days. I really liked it. Season 2 took awhile to get it's legs back under it, but once they settled in to the story it was good. I've only seen one or two episodes of season 3. It's hard to watch week-to-week. It's a better show when you can binge through an entire season.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:08 am I know it's not Netflix exclusive, but I don't think it's enough to get it's own thread either.

I started watching The Good Place with my wife. After one episode, she walked away proclaiming the main character annoying and the show unwatchable. I sat through it - interested in the concept of a generally amoral person in that kind of world. I think they've played it well and I'm into episode 7 now and enjoying it. It's gotten a few LOL's, which is hard for a show to do with me, and it seems to be settling into itself well.

At 22 minutes per episode on Netflix, it's a quick watch.
The first season was excellent. I'm only 2 episodes into the second season (it's still good). I'd be fascinated to hear your wife's take if you could get her all the way through the first season.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sabrina's out today. Not ashamed to say that nostalgia requires that I watch it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:04 am Sabrina's out today. Not ashamed to say that nostalgia requires that I watch it.
From what I saw, your nostalgia might be hiding under the blankets. Unless they're doing some creative editing with the previews, this looked genuinely creepy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

msteelers wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:43 am I burned through the first season of The Good Place when I was home sick for a couple of days. I really liked it. Season 2 took awhile to get it's legs back under it, but once they settled in to the story it was good. I've only seen one or two episodes of season 3. It's hard to watch week-to-week. It's a better show when you can binge through an entire season.
The Good Place is my current favorite comedy. Such great writing and performances. Ted Danson is a national treasure who somehow doesn’t get his due because he’s been in everything since the early 80’s.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, Eleanor being an unlikable character is the goddamn point of the show. We're current with the series and it's fantastic - all the characters are really well written (and acted).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:18 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:04 am Sabrina's out today. Not ashamed to say that nostalgia requires that I watch it.
From what I saw, your nostalgia might be hiding under the blankets. Unless they're doing some creative editing with the previews, this looked genuinely creepy.
Yeah, Melissa Joan Hart this is not, but I still must check it out.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

msteelers wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:43 am I burned through the first season of The Good Place when I was home sick for a couple of days. I really liked it. Season 2 took awhile to get it's legs back under it, but once they settled in to the story it was good. I've only seen one or two episodes of season 3. It's hard to watch week-to-week. It's a better show when you can binge through an entire season.
I read this and was really confused... season 3? I had no idea it was actually on, like, actual TV.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I <3 The Good Place. Season 1 was good, Season 2 was great. So far Season 3 seems to still be trying to find its legs, but it’s still very entertaining. There’s a Good Place podcast hosted by Mark Evan Jackson (Shawn) which is also quite good; each episode has on two or three cast members/crews and they discuss the most recently aired tv episode. Definitely worth going back and listening from the beginning.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:
I also think they downplayed the whole Satanic thing in the original series...

I've added it to my considerable Netflix list.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm DVR'ing it, and plan to binge watch once the season is done. I just can't go back to watching weekly episodes any more.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am
Zaxxon wrote:

I looked into this a little because I was curious what the real origin of the character was. Apparently the original Sabrina comic (1962) was similar in tone to the original campy TV series. She was a guest character in Archie Comics that eventually got her own comic series. This new version is based on a comic that came out much later in 2014 with a decidedly darker tone.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:59 am I <3 The Good Place. Season 1 was good, Season 2 was great. So far Season 3 seems to still be trying to find its legs, but it’s still very entertaining.
I guess our family must be outliers. We enjoyed season 1, but it had taken so long for season 2 to appear on the Canadian Netflix, and by the time it did, we just couldn't get into season 2 and have given up on it. Season 1 was already confusing enough for my parents and the reboot scenario of season 2 had them so confused.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah if you guys are comic fans, the Afterlife with Archie comics are fantastic. Very dark, and genuinely scary in places. Fantastic series, and Sabrina got her own spin-off from it that continues that dark tone.
Ralph-Wiggum

Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Rumpy wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:59 am I <3 The Good Place. Season 1 was good, Season 2 was great. So far Season 3 seems to still be trying to find its legs, but it’s still very entertaining.
I guess our family must be outliers. We enjoyed season 1, but it had taken so long for season 2 to appear on the Canadian Netflix, and by the time it did, we just couldn't get into season 2 and have given up on it. Season 1 was already confusing enough for my parents and the reboot scenario of season 2 had them so confused.

How far into Season 2 did you get?
Spoiler:
The reboot scenarios stop after the second episode.
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think the second episode? It was a combination of things. Waiting so long for it and then finally getting it and having to get re-acclamated with them and their new situations. We just ended up realizing we didn't love it and would rather spend our time with something else.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Still very into The Good Place and chewing through Season 2. I really like that it hasn't been a predictable straight line. It helps that I've been working on an Ethics paper for school through my entire viewing, so Chidi's dryness and viewpoint has had a perfect mirror in the real life sludge I've been plodding through.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:23 am
Scraper wrote:I watched season 1 of Castlevania. It's decent but WAY too short. Only 4 episodes and each of them are about 23 minutes long.

The animation is great and the story line is mature, I just wish there was more.
Agreed. What I've read is that it was initially presented as a movie, but Netflix wanted bingeable episodes. Season 2 is already greenlit and will get twice the episode count. Still will be short, but at least it's coming.
And it's out. Re-watching season 1, so I haven't gotten to the new episodes yet. There are 8 this time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Something nice for your feels, coming 11/16

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

'tis the season

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Lordnine wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:15 pm
$iljanus wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:11 am
Zaxxon wrote:

I looked into this a little because I was curious what the real origin of the character was. Apparently the original Sabrina comic (1962) was similar in tone to the original campy TV series. She was a guest character in Archie Comics that eventually got her own comic series. This new version is based on a comic that came out much later in 2014 with a decidedly darker tone.
We watched 2 episodes over the weekend and quite liked it. My wife and daughter had previously watched the original series from beginning to end over the course of a couple of months so they were super excited about this. Adding to that is that they are also watching Riverdale. Who would think that Archie would be such a big thing again? :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Adam Sandler's new special - 100% Fresh - is appropriately named. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:43 am
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:23 am
Scraper wrote:I watched season 1 of Castlevania. It's decent but WAY too short. Only 4 episodes and each of them are about 23 minutes long.

The animation is great and the story line is mature, I just wish there was more.
Agreed. What I've read is that it was initially presented as a movie, but Netflix wanted bingeable episodes. Season 2 is already greenlit and will get twice the episode count. Still will be short, but at least it's coming.
And it's out. Re-watching season 1, so I haven't gotten to the new episodes yet. There are 8 this time.
Season 2 is good. 3 is already greenlit, apparently. Although
Spoiler:
they may have to move elsewhere on the timeline after that ending.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I finished The Haunting of Hill House. I am not a horror fan at all, yet I watched all 10 episodes of this. The story was told expertly and while it certainly had some jump scares, it didn't rely on them. I was also very impressed with the believability of Timothy Hutton playing an older Henry Thomas.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Paingod wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:24 am Still very into The Good Place and chewing through Season 2. I really like that it hasn't been a predictable straight line. It helps that I've been working on an Ethics paper for school through my entire viewing, so Chidi's dryness and viewpoint has had a perfect mirror in the real life sludge I've been plodding through.
I'm at Episode 10 (I think) and the team was just ...
Spoiler:
pushed through the portal.
Given the chain of events, I'm beginning to wonder...
Spoiler:
...if this is another "Real Bad Place" scenario. I mean - it would be a HUGE backstab and twist of the knife to let them get so far and have such hope and then yank it all away. More hurtful and devastating than anything they've encountered so far.
At any rate, I'm glad...
Spoiler:
...Mindy got her wind chimes and cocaine. :lol:
Black Lives Matter

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Does anyone like Hilda as much as I do (which is quite a lot)?
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm really enjoying HAUNTED. Even though I usually roll my eyes at these "real-life haunting" recreation shows, the re-enactments in this one are pretty chilling and the people telling the stories come off as super sincere due to the "we're having an intervention" setup. (Instead of the person just talking to a camera, they're in a room telling their story to their family and friends).
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:53 pm Does anyone like Hilda as much as I do (which is quite a lot)?
The wife and kids loved it, and I was pleased to sit through it. Good show.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:53 pm Does anyone like Hilda as much as I do (which is quite a lot)?
My 9 and 12 year old loved it. I saw one episode in the middle and didn't get it, but I blame catching one episode in the middle rather than the show.

Has anyone seen the Dragon Prince? My kids binged those hard and were crushed when it ended on a cliff hanger. I saw the first three and really enjoyed them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

New anime to Netflix

Pacific Rim
Altered Carbon
Cagaster of an Insect Cage
Yasuke
Trese

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am I'm really enjoying HAUNTED. Even though I usually roll my eyes at these "real-life haunting" recreation shows, the re-enactments in this one are pretty chilling and the people telling the stories come off as super sincere due to the "we're having an intervention" setup. (Instead of the person just talking to a camera, they're in a room telling their story to their family and friends).
The second episode completely killed it for me. So your father was a serial killer and you never told anyone? Really? Also you let your son hang out with said serial killer after being abused as a child. Oh, and your son destroyed all the evidence when he moved into the house?

I couldn’t buy it and apparently I wasn't alone. After the series went up, reddit exploded for a couple days trying to find any info about the occurrence and there is nothing for that part of the state that even remotely matches. Netflix shouldn't claim the stories are true if they completely stress belief.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They just put up a completed version of Orson Welles' final, unfinished film The Other Side of the Wind, as well as a documentary on Welles and his efforts to get it completed before his death, They'll Love Me When I'm Dead. It's been reconstructed by famed director and Orson Welles' friend, Peter Bagdanovich.

I'm an Orson Welles fanatic, so I can't wait to watch these. But even if you're just a fan of great filmmakers (I would say the greatest filmmaker of all time, personally), you owe it to yourself to watch the master at work.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lordnine wrote:The second episode completely killed it for me. So your father was a serial killer and you never told anyone? Really? Also you let your son hang out with said serial killer after being abused as a child. Oh, and your son destroyed all the evidence when he moved into the house?

I couldn’t buy it and apparently I wasn't alone. After the series went up, reddit exploded for a couple days trying to find any info about the occurrence and there is nothing for that part of the state that even remotely matches. Netflix shouldn't claim the stories are true if they completely stress belief.
Yeah, I posted prematurely. After finishing episode 2 I was of the same mindset. And I also wasn't happy about them trying to shoehorn a serial killer into a haunting show by claiming he was demon-possessed. That's what I get for judging a series based off a great first episode. :grund:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I hope the Pacific Rim anime is as cool as the old Roughnecks Starship Troopers one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

About an hour into Outlaw King and I’m not quite sure Chris Pine is aware he’s actually in the movie.
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I have no idea that that means, but I know I have to watch it now to find out.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's like watching someone that just wandered onto a film set accidentally. I kept expecting him to stop at some point and mumble, "Oh cool, there's sloppy joe sandwiches at the craft services table.", then wander off camera. He's so...relaxed....throughout the entire thing. If they'd replaced Mel Gibson in Braveheart with Pat Boone, I imagine it would be like this.

Also, the movie is just awful. Once again, the main villain (the Prince of Wales) is essentially Niedermeyer (the film ends with "historical" text that even lets us know he shared Niedermeyer's ultimate fate in Animal House). Plucky rebels build a trap out of the landscape that only they know well enough to make work. And we have a seemingly crazy sidekick that we're supposed to grow to love because he's so incorrigible, while in the real world, he would be called a "dangerous drifter" in any news article covering the conflict.

Two massive thumbs down.

...although my thumbs aren't really massive. That's just a saying.
Covfefe!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've had it on my list, so thanks for saving me the trouble. I'm not in the least bit surprised. It's a Netflix Original they're tantamount to direct-to-video releases, and Netflix seems to be signing them with little care to their quality just to say they've got more original movies than any other service. Very rarely has a Netflix Original movie actually wowed me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The only original that I thought was good was Beasts of No Nations. Are there others I should be watching?