Drazzil Mega Thread: Round table panel skills presentation +Took a home drug test for THC; failed at 45 days sobriety.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Simple homecooking recipes?

Post by ImLawBoy »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 pm Were they just hydrating the canned beans? Or were they cooking them with added flavors (onion, garlic, orange)? That's the difference to me, although it's likely to be less noticeable in chili.
Where did you get the idea for the orange? Is it just for flavor, or does it affect cooking too?
Recipe I found online. You can definitely get a hint of citrus, but it's not enough to be a dominant flavor or anything. I'm not sure if it does much for the cooking process beyond adding that flavor (although it makes the kitchen smell nicer).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:06 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:03 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:42 pm Were they just hydrating the canned beans? Or were they cooking them with added flavors (onion, garlic, orange)? That's the difference to me, although it's likely to be less noticeable in chili.
Where did you get the idea for the orange? Is it just for flavor, or does it affect cooking too?
Recipe I found online. You can definitely get a hint of citrus, but it's not enough to be a dominant flavor or anything. I'm not sure if it does much for the cooking process beyond adding that flavor (although it makes the kitchen smell nicer).
That is a Mexican cooking technique.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Sound goods. I'll have to try that next time.

Also a pressure cooker or Instant Pot can bring that cooking time way down for anyone that needs quick.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 pm Sound goods. I'll have to try that next time.

Also a pressure cooker or Instant Pot can bring that cooking time way down for anyone that needs quick.
But not a neti pot.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:20 pm
Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 pm Sound goods. I'll have to try that next time.

But not a neti pot.
Good advice :)
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: My cat ran away... again.

Post by Drazzil »

My little orange cat Trumpet ran away *again*. I thought she was over this as its been about six months since she bolted. Our neighborhood is teaming with hazards for cats. She has run away twice before, for five and eight days respectively. When she gets out she is a totally different cat. She runs from me.

All of my cats except for her don't run. They seem to implicitly understand that the outdoors around here are death, snd they are grateful and love me, so they stay. The runaway has always kinda been a pain in my ass this way.

In the past I made a fool of myself, circling and running a snail shell pattern around my hood, trying to find her, both on foot and in the car. This time I think I am going to stay put and hope that nothing punches her ticket outside...

But still I am worried sick and miserable. I want my little girl back. I miss her so much. On one hand if she buys it I know that I loved, cared for and adored her and did my very best, on the other hand, I'm madder then hell at her and myself for this whole damn thing.
Last edited by Drazzil on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How do your cats get outside? Are they bolting through you when you come in the front door?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:02 am How do your cats get outside? Are they bolting through you when you come in the front door?
Yep. For months she and the rest of the cats just stand at the threshold and just look outside when I open the door. Not last night.
Exodor

Re: Drazzil mega thread: My cat ran away again

Post by Exodor »

We've got a cat that does that. You have to be aware every time you open an exterior door and take care that she doesn't dash between your feet to freedom.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Exodor wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:44 am We've got a cat that does that. You have to be aware every time you open an exterior door and take care that she doesn't dash between your feet to freedom.
Yeah.

I miss her so much. My heart is broken.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:31 pm
Exodor wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:44 am We've got a cat that does that. You have to be aware every time you open an exterior door and take care that she doesn't dash between your feet to freedom.
Yeah.

Oh boy... I can't begin to tell you how often you tell us about your 'broken heart'. It's always about you... right?

If this cat comes back, I'm guessing you will have a whole new load of fleas in your home. Enjoy that too.

It's on you Drazzil. These are your charges.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:52 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:31 pm
Yeah.

Oh boy... I can't begin to tell you how often you tell us about your 'broken heart'. It's always about you... right?

If this cat comes back, I'm guessing you will have a whole new load of fleas in your home. Enjoy that too.

It's on you Drazzil. These are your charges.
How the heck is,it my fault if I do everything I can to keep it from happening? I didn't *let* her out. She *chose* to leave, and there is very little I could have done to stop that from happening. It was a random stray thought in a creature with a brain the size of a walnut, and reflexes much faster then a human's. Add to this she hadn't even expressed any interest in bolting for half a year, I wasen't expecting her to do a runner.

You are right about the fleas though. Not looking forward to that.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Cats can bolt so completely understand the situation. Especially if they're crowding the door. Hope the cat comes back. (without fleas preferably)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

You know, now that I think about it, that post did strike sort of a poor me tone. So sorry for that.

Housecats in my area are kind of like alchoholics. They run out into the big bad world and get the shit kicked out of them, go hungry, often come back worse off then they left, and swear it off for a bit... Then go right back out again. Eventually they learn their lesson and settle down, or die out in the streets.

Its sad and I hate it, but maybe Trumpet hasen't gotten her ass kicked enough yet.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I miss her so much already.
Moliere

Re: Drazzil mega thread: One month sober yesterday.

Post by Moliere »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:15 pm Image

November 1: Personal Branding: Marketing Yourself to the World
Wow... This is just what I need. Thanks Isg. 8-)

I think this will help me with searching for work for sure.
So, uh, about that job search...
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Moliere wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Dept of rehab is going to start services next week.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Y'know, unemployment's at a 50-year low. Although facing some headwinds, the economy is likely to continue expanding for another year. While finding a job in your chosen field will be challenging, you'll never have a better chance. IF you get it in gear NOW. Labor is not going to be a seller's market indefinitely.

Several posts ago you told us that you have lots of experience with cooking/hospitality. The restaurant industry especially is begging for good, reliable help. If you're willing to take that path, you can quickly find a stable job that pays a living wage in any city in the US. You could move to wherever you want to live within weeks, at most.

I don't mean to minimize the logistics of doing that. I understand how exhausting it is to even contemplate major life changes when you're depressed, and how frightening it is to commit to action. But inaction is making a commitment, too.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's crazy about your cats. I guess I knew the sometimes did that (ambush the front door), but the two cats I owned were never like that at all - they loved being indoors. Sorry to hear about that. My dog would probably bolt if she could get out the front door, that's for sure. When she was a puppy she ran off quite a few times, which is why we now have a fenced in back yard.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:38 pm the two cats I owned were never like that at all - they loved being indoors

People have been giving Drazzil lots of chili recipes, the poor kitty might just want some "fresh" air. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Y'know, unemployment's at a 50-year low. Although facing some headwinds, the economy is likely to continue expanding for another year. While finding a job in your chosen field will be challenging, you'll never have a better chance. IF you get it in gear NOW. Labor is not going to be a seller's market indefinitely.

Several posts ago you told us that you have lots of experience with cooking/hospitality. The restaurant industry especially is begging for good, reliable help. If you're willing to take that path, you can quickly find a stable job that pays a living wage in any city in the US. You could move to wherever you want to live within weeks, at most.

I don't mean to minimize the logistics of doing that. I understand how exhausting it is to even contemplate major life changes when you're depressed, and how frightening it is to commit to action. But inaction is making a commitment, too.
I said I could run a kitchen. I can. Unfortunately, all that head knowledge I had came in the form of Job Corps training 11 years ago. I never found a job in the hospitality field. I went back to school instead. My servesafe certs are expired, as is my food handlers card. Yeah, I could walk into a kitchen tomorrow and totally run it, but someone would have to be very desperate to give me that shot.

Before Trumpet went missing I was going to make a whole post about how my job searching skills are rusty, and about how my misadventures spending about a year and a half putting in apps for jobs at the federal state and private level while working 60 hours a week taking care of mom sort of made any sort of effort now really hard to contemplate and get to work on.

Now that I'm 45 days sober I can start to work on this, but it is extremely hard for me to get motivated to take this next vital step. I am starting to get all the old emotions I had before I went sober creeping back into my life. The docs said this would happen as the flood of positive emotions I got from getting clean again subsides as my brain "rights itself" to bring me back down to earth.

This is a positive thing as I am told the rush of endorphins would wreck my brain, not unlike using drugs for a long period of time, but it makes it much harder to fo the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing.

This is a huge reason lots of people fall off the wagon in the first few months.

Please don't read this as a rationalization for doing nothing. It is not. I know I need to dig up the will and the courage to overcome whatever inborn reservations I have and get to work, but getting to work is hard, as is ditching the idea that I suck at everything I try and no one wants me and I will never find work again.

These mental barriers are what kept me in comfortable misery working a job I hated, going home to a living situation I loathed and stewing my brain in booze and drugs to escape it all.

I am not making excuses, just giving my faulty mental reasoning for the major case of the fuckits when it comes to finding the next job.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

By the by I am going to *need* to put in my own work with the DOR to convince them to take me in as a client, work I will start next week.

I know I also need to step up the job search, put more effort into taking the next step that will put me on my own two feet again, it's just harder then most might be able to imagine.

I either lucked into most of the jobs I got, or got rammed into a square peg into a round hole by the last placement agency I got a job thru. I still worked like a devil for 7 years at a job I loathed going to every day because of my self esteem issues, I just need to overcome the baggage of my past and get to effing work.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Damn, you guys know I don't think I've ever put such an accurate finger on the pulse of the issues I am having. Sober Drazzil is a much better writer, and a much more reflective person.

Now that my issues are out there its just a matter of taking the steps to remedy them.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

My neighbor said he saw my cat today. My issue eith this cat is that if she hears me calling when she is outside, she runs away. She is a totally different cat outside then in. The only way I caught her last time was that her brother Duchess actually went into the spot between my window and screen and called to her so I could catch her. Today he did not do that. He has to miss her first, and it doesen't seem he does... yet.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Recent development. The cat runs from me when I spot her. Add to this a neighbor who I have a very old emnity with is now looking for my cat as well. probabally to steal or kill her. I am starting to think I am not going to get her back.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck fucking fuck!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm

I said I could run a kitchen. I can. Unfortunately, all that head knowledge I had came in the form of Job Corps training 11 years ago. I never found a job in the hospitality field. I went back to school instead. My servesafe certs are expired, as is my food handlers card. Yeah, I could walk into a kitchen tomorrow and totally run it, but someone would have to be very desperate to give me that shot.
You don't just get to walk in and run someone's kitchen. You get to work in someone else's kitchen first. The good thing is that kitchens are a relative meritocracy. If you're good and work hard you usually get rewarded eventually.
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm Before Trumpet went missing I was going to make a whole post about how my job searching skills are rusty, and about how my misadventures spending about a year and a half putting in apps for jobs at the federal state and private level while working 60 hours a week taking care of mom sort of made any sort of effort now really hard to contemplate and get to work on.
Excuses.
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pmNow that I'm 45 days sober I can start to work on this, but it is extremely hard for me to get motivated to take this next vital step. I am starting to get all the old emotions I had before I went sober creeping back into my life. The docs said this would happen as the flood of positive emotions I got from getting clean again subsides as my brain "rights itself" to bring me back down to earth.
Excuses.
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm This is a positive thing as I am told the rush of endorphins would wreck my brain, not unlike using drugs for a long period of time, but it makes it much harder to fo the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing.
Excuses.
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm This is a huge reason lots of people fall off the wagon in the first few months.

Please don't read this as a rationalization for doing nothing. It is not. I know I need to dig up the will and the courage to overcome whatever inborn reservations I have and get to work, but getting to work is hard, as is ditching the idea that I suck at everything I try and no one wants me and I will never find work again.

These mental barriers are what kept me in comfortable misery working a job I hated, going home to a living situation I loathed and stewing my brain in booze and drugs to escape it all.

I am not making excuses, just giving my faulty mental reasoning for the major case of the fuckits when it comes to finding the next job.
You are making excuses. And you claim to know the very causes of your self-sabatoge but you are still not getting after a job. Anything short of hitting the bricks and getting out there is resting on a nice cushy bed of excuses.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Plan your work and work your plan.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:09 am

You don't just get to walk in and run someone's kitchen. You get to work in someone else's kitchen first. The good thing is that kitchens are a relative meritocracy. If you're good and work hard you usually get rewarded eventually.
And "eventually" comes around fast if you're dedicated and competent. The restaurant industry here is crying out for workers and trying hard to incentivize them to stay put. I imagine that's true in every major city. I know restaurants require long hours of demanding work and might not be your thing (they sure wouldn't be mine); I'm not trying to talk you into a career you would hate. But if your goal is to reenter the workforce in a city of your choosing, restaurant work is a safe bet for a reliable income and decent housing.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:09 am

Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm Before Trumpet went missing I was going to make a whole post about how my job searching skills are rusty, and about how my misadventures spending about a year and a half putting in apps for jobs at the federal state and private level while working 60 hours a week taking care of mom sort of made any sort of effort now really hard to contemplate and get to work on.
Excuses.
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pmNow that I'm 45 days sober I can start to work on this, but it is extremely hard for me to get motivated to take this next vital step. I am starting to get all the old emotions I had before I went sober creeping back into my life. The docs said this would happen as the flood of positive emotions I got from getting clean again subsides as my brain "rights itself" to bring me back down to earth.
Excuses.
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm This is a positive thing as I am told the rush of endorphins would wreck my brain, not unlike using drugs for a long period of time, but it makes it much harder to fo the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing.
Excuses.
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm This is a huge reason lots of people fall off the wagon in the first few months.

You are making excuses. And you claim to know the very causes of your self-sabatoge but you are still not getting after a job. Anything short of hitting the bricks and getting out there is resting on a nice cushy bed of excuses.
Good points, thanks for not co signing my bullshit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Trumpet let me catch her... which is good.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 am Trumpet let me catch her... which is good.
Well done!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm Yeah, I could walk into a kitchen tomorrow and totally run it, but someone would have to be very desperate to give me that shot.
Confidence is good, but I think you're missing the point of Kraken's advice. The last thing you should do is apply for a job to 'run the kitchen'. Get any job in the kitchen, then eventually you'll be able to show you can run it. No desperation required.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:41 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm Yeah, I could walk into a kitchen tomorrow and totally run it, but someone would have to be very desperate to give me that shot.
Confidence is good, but I think you're missing the point of Kraken's advice. The last thing you should do is apply for a job to 'run the kitchen'. Get any job in the kitchen, then eventually you'll be able to show you can run it. No desperation required.
That just... might work. Question for you fine folks. What are some entry level jobs I would be able to get with a business degree?

Oh I went to the job center on brier to look around and I found a useful lead.

Oops! Wrong picture!

Also I'm totally attending the seminar on Thursday @ Cal Poly.
DD*

Re: Drazzil mega thread: It's time for the job search

Post by DD* »

As a hiring manager, I rarely pay attention to someone's degree unless I have a specific need (ex. mechanical engineer, etc). All a "business degree" tells me is that you can be trained and you have the patience and motiviation to put in the time to complete it. Maybe you know some accounting or budgeting, but unless that stuff is VERY recent and a VERY good match for a position, I'm going to figure I have to train you anyway. I look more for whether you look like you'll fit the environment more than anything else.

Good attitude, willing to work, motivated, and - let's be honest - a clean professional appearance are the important things for me when hiring an entry level person.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Since you haven't worked in the field, all the degree means is that you can be motivated and maybe have basic skills. At this point, choosiness is the same type of procrastination you've been doing the last month. In theory, you can use that business degree in ANYTHING.

Food service? Looking for ways to make customer happy, avoid waste and motivate others.
Restaurant? Wanted to work with food and understand operational side beyond customer experience.
Office? Interested in workplace environment and how it operates.

Bottom line -- your business degree helped you learn how to bullshit about being interested in how they operate to make them money rather than just clock time. Because the employer is nearly always looking for someone to do more than simply the job for the paycheck.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:39 pm Since you haven't worked in the field, all the degree means is that you can be motivated and maybe have basic skills. At this point, choosiness is the same type of procrastination you've been doing the last month. In theory, you can use that business degree in ANYTHING.

Food service? Looking for ways to make customer happy, avoid waste and motivate others.
Restaurant? Wanted to work with food and understand operational side beyond customer experience.
Office? Interested in workplace environment and how it operates.

Bottom line -- your business degree helped you learn how to bullshit about being interested in how they operate to make them money rather than just clock time. Because the employer is nearly always looking for someone to do more than simply the job for the paycheck.
Thanks for this. :D
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I made it to the branding seminar. Didn't learn much. That's okay. I missed my daily AA meeting, which sucks, because I have thoughts of drinking and mj when I don't go. I plan to make an early morning meeting on the marrow. Got my results in from the bloodwork I had to do on my two oldest. Good thing I did too. Both have infections in their pancreas, one has a low thyroid.

I need to pick up their medicine tomorrow.
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Foreign banking experience?

Post by Drazzil »

Anyone have experience with foreign bank accounts? Specifically the Isle of Man?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Anyone have foreign banking experience?

Post by $iljanus »

Yeah...I'll give my buddy Paul Manafort a call when he has phone privileges and ask him which banks he prefers for their "discretion".
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Drazzil

Re: Drazzil mega thread: Anyone have foreign banking experience?

Post by Drazzil »

Never mind. Stupid question and not what I should be focused on.