Red Dead Redemption 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by coopasonic »

it seems they mostly come with confusing skins. I'll take a combined discount over a game specific skin any day.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:16 pm I really want to buy the game but the projector in my media room is dying and I don't want to spend the money to replace it. I'll get it used eventually after I replace that projector.
I just have my PS4 hooked up to my computer monitor via a switch. The TV is ALWAYS occupied so I would never be able to use the PS4 otherwise. Headset just plugs into the controller so it's a snap to get going. Since I have two computer monitors I can also browse for hints and crap if needed. 8-)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The projector points at a 105" screen. You can keep your computer monitor. :) I am considering an 82" TV to replace the projector and screen. I guess I could just put in a 60-65" as a placeholder until I want to spring for the big daddy. 80"+ TVs are EXPENSIVE!

We only have one 4k display in the house and it's in the master bedroom where no video game systems are allowed.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:49 pm We only have one 4k display in the house and it's in the master bedroom where no video game systems are allowed.
Rookie mistake.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:57 pm
Max Peck wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:37 pm I am weak. I just ordered the PS4/RDR2 bundle. So much for skipping this console generation...
Me too! I didn't plan on skipping it though, I'm just always late. I like to wait until whatever mid-gen updates there are.
I've got a feeling that Amazon.ca is going to save me from myself. I still haven't received a ship date from them, so I'm expecting that the bundle will magically transform from a pre-order to an out-of-stock item tonight. C'est la vie.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:49 pm The projector points at a 105" screen. You can keep your computer monitor. :) I am considering an 82" TV to replace the projector and screen. I guess I could just put in a 60-65" as a placeholder until I want to spring for the big daddy. 80"+ TVs are EXPENSIVE!

We only have one 4k display in the house and it's in the master bedroom where no video game systems are allowed.
Eh I think I would have a hard time focusing on a screen that big. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Enough

Post by Enough »

There's clear variation between the consoles then, but it is worth stressing the positive points - there's platform parity in terms of the vast majority of the rendering features, with no noticeable omissions on the base machines, which are divided only by resolution. While performance can be variable, I'd still say that the PS4 and Xbox One S still hand in more stable frame-rates than the original Red Dead Redemption, with fewer variations in the visual make-up than the last game too. But really, to see this phenomenal game at its absolute best, Xbox One X is the platform of choice - and by quite a considerable margin.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Finally playing RDR 1 (just finished the Fort Mercer raid). Will be holding off on RDR 2 for a bit; perhaps I'll get lucky and find it marked down around Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Excited that I have an XBox One X to play it on, too, after reading that Digital Foundry stuff. Sounds like going bonkers on the power is paying off for Microsoft.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Grabbed it at Target and installing it now. :horse: I splurged for the special edition even though I'm not sure it's worth the extra 20 bucks. I know I"ll play this to death so shrug.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Short 3 hour impression. Totally stunned. Everything so far is amazing. The characters, the gfx, the sound, the music. It's just ridiculous. I can't wait to get home and really dig into it tonight. :horse:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I will probably wait until after the first of the year, but given how much I loved the the last one, I guess I'm going to need to buy an XboxOne X and pick this up as well. I'd really they just announce a PC version is coming!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm so torn on this game. The Old West setting isn't particularly interesting to me and I generally don't enjoy open world games (with a few exceptions like AC:O and Horizon)...but it looks absolutely amazing and the reviews are off the charts.

I may end up grabbing it today. :oops:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:18 am I may end up grabbing it today. :oops:
Let me know when you want to get rid of it. :twisted:

It looks like I will be getting an award at work that comes with a tidy little bonus that ought to buy me a TV to put in the media room.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I got maybe an hour or so into it last night. It looks like it will be epic. Its really impressive on XB1X. Control scheme seems inconsistent - e.g. there are times where they might tell you to aim and have a RT trigger symbol, and they mean aim with the left thumbstick and pull the trigger to fire. Sometimes you hold A to do something, other times its hold Y. I hope I settle in and they become 2nd nature. Even so, I was able to get a silver on the first mission and a bronze on the second.
Spoiler:
Wolves are hard to hit, in a blizzard, in 3' of snow, while riding on horseback down a hill and through trees, while also following somebody else at a gallop and trying to keep up. But hey - its an early set piece.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My Amazon order did flip straight from pre-order to back-order, so I cancelled it and ordered an Xbox One X + RDR2 bundle from EBGames.ca (they give a $130 discount on the XBOX with the bundle). I'm guessing that will take a while to ship, so for now I'm back to spending quality time with Kassandra.
Last edited by Max Peck on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Note to folks - this is a 92 GB download if you buy this digital. I'm on a 100 Mbps connection and looking at a 3 hour download.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

malchior wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:04 pm Note to folks - this is a 92 GB download if you buy this digital. I'm on a 100 Mbps connection and looking at a 3 hour download.
Good tip. Mine was on pre-order, so it pre-loaded over the last week sometime.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
naednek

Post by naednek »

I preordered the $399 PS4 Pro bundle with Red Dead Redemption 2 as I will be using the other ps4 in a different room. Went to Gamestop last night @8pm to pay it off, then waited in line outside. I was 5th in line. All of a sudden there was at least 100 people in line. I've never waited in line for a game, it was fun talking with other gamers and a football fan.

Gamestop gives you a pink sticker with a # on it. People thought that meant that was your spot in line... So they showed up at at 8:50 only to realize it's first come first serve. You're guaranteed your item, but you have to wait in line. People got their sticker in the morning and came in towards 9pm. Lets just say they weren't happy.

I was # 5 in line, got out of the store 3 mins after 9pm, only to have to set up the ps4 pro, update the OS, and then install the game which took another hour. 11:30 I finally got to play, only to fall asleep 15 minutes into it.

Hope I can stay up tonight. I should have just installed and went to bed. Getting old sucks
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The controls ARE wonky as everyone is mentioning in the QT3 thread as well. I'm sure I will get used to them, but it's certainly not the most intuitive control scheme I've seen. I'm just dying for this day to end so I can go home and really dig into it tonight. The only reason I bought the physical copy is so that I could get the maps. I love maps and the one that comes with the special edition is gigantic. :mrgreen: Took 90 minutes to install from the disk. Longest 90 minutes ever. :lol:

naednek

Post by naednek »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 pm The controls ARE wonky as everyone is mentioning in the QT3 thread as well. I'm sure I will get used to them, but it's certainly no the most intuitive control scheme I've seen. I'm just dying for this day to end so I can go home and really dig into it tonight. The only reason I bought the physical copy is so that I could get the maps. I love maps and the one that comes with the special edition is gigantic. :mrgreen: Took 90 minutes to install from the disk. Longest 90 minutes ever. :lol:
I'm really regretting forcing myself to stay up last night only to play 15 minutes then fall asleep mid mission.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Ya I would say you need to set aside 2-3 hours to get through the beginning. And then it opens up into the main game. It wasn't even clear to me how to manually save after the 3 hours. I just stumbled through the menus until I found it by accident. All good though. The game is so good that this is all just minor to me. This is pretty much my dream game. I loved the first one and this looks like it dials it up to 11. I really love the survival aspect that this one has. It's cool without it being crazy overburdening. Things like needing to eat, taking care of you horse. Having to shave (I'm totally going to just let it go as long as possible.) It really adds depth to the game that few other games have.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Bought this tonight at Walmart. Won't be getting to it right away, but been getting pretty hyped. Has a sticker on it that says "Play Select Online Content First on PS4", which I assume means the PS4 is getting a bit of headstart with the online portion when it launches.

Btw, as far as controls go, I saw in a Kotaku article that you can use the shoulder buttons to cycle through contextual options:
https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-red ... 1830016535
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Octavious wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 pm The controls ARE wonky as everyone is mentioning in the QT3 thread as well. I'm sure I will get used to them, but it's certainly not the most intuitive control scheme I've seen. I'm just dying for this day to end so I can go home and really dig into it tonight. The only reason I bought the physical copy is so that I could get the maps. I love maps and the one that comes with the special edition is gigantic. :mrgreen: Took 90 minutes to install from the disk. Longest 90 minutes ever. :lol:
Just posted this on GT, thought I would here as well. Almost time to see the wonkiness for myself! :D

On the PS4 it's two disks. I'm now waiting for it to copy the last of the data files off the Play Disk having finished with the Data Disk. Total space requirements? 89.195GB :o Plus a ~3.5GB day one patch that downloaded and is waiting to install. It will be almost a two hour process before I can finally play.

Guessing on the Xbox One it would only be one? Not that it really matters, it's just that it has been a heck of a long time since I remember having to swap in multiple disks during an install...
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A Twitch streamer I watch was also complaining of horrible controls last night.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently Amazon Canada has completely shit the bed with this release. For now, at least, they aren't even selling the game (there are only over-priced Amazon Marketplace listings), and it sounds like they haven't honored the in-some-cases-years-old pre-orders for the game. It's being review-bombed on amazon.ca -- it's all 1-star complaints from disgruntled (former?) customers who got stiffed on their pre-orders. The PS4 bundle that I had pre-ordered is already listed as in-stock again, but the only reviews there at the moment are 1-star complaints about pre-orders that failed to ship for launch.

In the mean time, the XBOX bundle that I ordered from ebgames.ca on Friday shipped from Toronto Friday night, so I'll probably have it Mondayish.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Finally got through the two hour intro (which was really well done) and I'm off the mountain and dropped into the open world and WOW! what do I do now? I love the freedom and possiblities.

I ended up hunting for and hour right around the camp and I can see this is going to take a while to master or even get good at.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:41 am Apparently Amazon Canada has completely shit the bed with this release.
I read about a week ago, that retailers like Amazon would be getting their shipments a week later. Local game shops have been affected too. It has something to do with the prioritization of shipments to chains like BestBuy and GameStop. Why, I don't know. Some stores were told there's an issue with supply, which smells fishy for one of the year's biggest releases. I think they may be artificially limiting the amount of copies going out to favor Best Buy and Gamestop. Amazon should have sent an email about the delay a few weeks back from what I'm hearing. I'd just cancel your order on Amazon and buy it at Walmart. They had plenty of copies at my local Walmart.

https://kotaku.com/independent-game-sho ... 1829845669
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:08 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:41 am Apparently Amazon Canada has completely shit the bed with this release.
I read about a week ago, that retailers like Amazon would be getting their shipments a week later. Local game shops have been affected too. It has something to do with the prioritization of shipments to chains like BestBuy and GameStop. Why, I don't know. Some stores were told there's an issue with supply, which smells fishy for one of the year's biggest releases. I think they may be artificially limiting the amount of copies going out to favor Best Buy and Gamestop. Amazon should have sent an email about the delay a few weeks back from what I'm hearing. I'd just cancel your order on Amazon and buy it at Walmart. They had plenty of copies at my local Walmart.

https://kotaku.com/independent-game-sho ... 1829845669
Yeah, I cancelled my Amazon order on Friday when it went from pre-order to back-order, and ordered an XBOX bundle from EBGames (which shipped Friday night). I'm more than a little miffed at Amazon for accepting pre-orders on the PS4 bundle when they obviously knew that they were not going to be able to fulfill the orders. Also, from the comments on amazon.ca, at least some people were being told by Amazon customer service reps that their pre-orders would ship in time for them to receive them on the release date, right up until they didn't do that. It's weird that Amazon doesn't have enough pull to get the same treatment as BestBuy or EBGames/GameStop or Walmart, but regardless of the reason that they didn't have the game in stock it's difficult to see how they could have done a worse job of handling the situation.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:35 pm It's weird that Amazon doesn't have enough pull to get the same treatment as BestBuy or EBGames/GameStop or Walmart, but regardless of the reason that they didn't have the game in stock it's difficult to see how they could have done a worse job of handling the situation.

Oh, I agree. It's very strange, as Amazon would technically be able to eclipse either BestBuy or Gamestop. I suspect it's something to do with satisfying the preorder quotas along with preorder bonuses at those stores before anything else. It would seem to be plain bureaucracy at work. But it really isn't fair of them to negate preorders for anyone else who've done so elsewhere, as if to say anyone else's business is no good. I don't really feel preorders mean much if anything these days and situations like these just go and give more credence to that fact, especially when being told it will arrive later than the release date. It's not even guaranteeing anything anymore. I've even seen the bundles available at Walmart btw.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:35 pm It's weird that Amazon doesn't have enough pull to get the same treatment as BestBuy or EBGames/GameStop or Walmart, but regardless of the reason that they didn't have the game in stock it's difficult to see how they could have done a worse job of handling the situation.

Oh, I agree. It's very strange, as Amazon would technically be able to eclipse either BestBuy or Gamestop. I suspect it's something to do with satisfying the preorder quotas along with preorder bonuses at those stores before anything else. It would seem to be plain bureaucracy at work. But it really isn't fair of them to negate preorders for anyone else who've done so elsewhere, as if to say anyone else's business is no good. I don't really feel preorders mean much if anything these days and situations like these just go and give more credence to that fact, especially when being told it will arrive later than the release date. It's not even guaranteeing anything anymore. I've even seen the bundles available at Walmart btw.
Apparently the early Amazon.ca pre-orders were only $50, so one theory going around is that Amazon Canada is doing this just to weasel out of the $30 discount. :lol:

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I have high hopes for this game, as it compelled me to finally move into the current console generation. Picked up an XBox One S and the game this morning. Installed it which took forever, and then as soon as I went to play it, my daughter needed to be driven somewhere and I was dragged away. So maybe later tonight.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I've seen reference to the $50 thing elsewhere, from someone who hadn't even ordered from a sale where the price had been locked in and guaranteed. They were wondering what was going on.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just picked this up today. I’m starting in on Dark Souls on the Switch, so I was planning to wait on this but had a massive will power fail this afternoon. It’s been loading while I’ve been watching the WS, and now that the Sox have won and are up 3-1, I’m going to dive in. Loved the first one, so really looking forward to RDR2.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Quick impressions after a couple hours.

Good
- Level of detail is absolutely incredible. Just riding around and seeing the world is worth the price of admission.
- I really like the story and characters so far, and the voice acting and music are fantastic.
- Missions have been interesting, although I sometime struggle figuring out exactly what the game is asking me to do.

Bad
- Good lord, the controls are a complete gorram mess. Even simple actions require finger-twisting combinations of buttons, and remembering which "L1+R1+X+R3+spin around three times+say a prayer to the dark lord" combo accomplishes a basic task is becoming increasingly daunting.
- After coming from games like AC:O, this main character controls like a lumbering tank. Maybe its intentional, but it's a jarring change.
- Only been in a couple gunfights so far, but I have a hell of a time figuring out where the mobs are shooting at me from. This is a consistent issue I have with Rockstar games though, so I expected it.

I think the Kotaku review seems remarkably accurate, and this comment especially resonates with me:
It is defiantly slow-paced, exuberantly unfun, and wholly unconcerned with catering to the needs or wants of its players. It is also captivating, poignant, and at times shockingly entertaining. It moves with the clumsy heaviness of a 19th century locomotive, but like that locomotive becomes unstoppable once it builds up a head of steam.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Add me to the list of people who hate the goddamn controls. So far I’ve shot an innocent guy who I was trying to simply say hi to, and knifed a guy in the chest while trying to punch him.

At this rate I’m going to be the single most hated outlaw in the west...by accident.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 pm Add me to the list of people who hate the goddamn controls. So far I’ve shot an innocent guy who I was trying to simply say hi to, and knifed a guy in the chest while trying to punch him.

At this rate I’m going to be the single most hated outlaw in the west...by accident.
Wyatt Earp: What makes a man like Hepcat, Doc? What makes him do the things he does?

Doc Holliday: A man like Hepcat has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never kill enough, or steal enough, pull R2 enough or inflict enough pain to ever fill it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:26 pm Add me to the list of people who hate the goddamn controls. So far I’ve shot an innocent guy who I was trying to simply say hi to, and knifed a guy in the chest while trying to punch him.

Just did the exact same thing. Approaching a railroad crossing near Valentine. Train was coming through, and I saw another rider was waiting there for the train to pass. Realized as I was riding up that I had my sidearm out. Went to holster it, but hit the wrong button and shot this poor guy in the back. Stone cold (accidental) killer.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I adore this game on a levels that I can't even explain. I had to drag myself away as well I need to sleep to go to work. :doh: I had so many cool moments over the last few days that I have a hard time picking my fav. The best unscripted thing was riding my horse down some train tracks. In one part there's a LONG dark tunnel. In the middle it's pitch black. A train just came by so I figured it's probably safe, but going through that was terrifying. Especially in the middle when you couldn't see a thing. Halfway out the only thing you could see was a bright light at the end of the tunnel. I rode as fast as I could to the light before a train showed up. So simple yet so amazing. That is what this game nails. The controls might be iffy, but everything else is just perfect to me. The wildlife, the graphics, the story... So good... So so good...

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The more I play, the more I feel hampered by these terrible controls. I've also had multiple instances of "trying to do one thing, shot someone in the face instead", including one that completely botched the 15 minutes I had been working on stealthily approaching an enemy campsite. Tried to hit the prompt that told my team member to take out a sentry, ended up shooting into a tree and alerting the entire camp instead.

If the controls were better and responsive in any way, this would likely be a 10. As it is, I feel like I'm fighting the shitty in-game systems far more than any outlaws, and it's sitting at a 7 (if I'm feeling very generous).
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I haven’t really had a struggle with the controls so far...no accidental shootings or knifing or the like.

I find myself just moseying around, looking at everything. This is one goddam beautiful game on my XB1X. I’m still not quite sure what the best route to go concerning how much to donate to the camp, how much to keep and craft and sell for myself, etc.

I’m still struggling with my inherent “never, ever play a bad guy in games” attitude and squaring it with the game. I’m currently doing my best to always take good options with the game...but I can’t see how I can avoid some things that appear to be baked into the game, like train robberies and the like.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire