Voter Fraud/Suppression

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Voter Fraud

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
About two-thirds of Texas high schools are not following a state law that mandates giving all eligible students the opportunity to register to vote, according to a new report. That means hundreds of thousands of potential voters have been left off the rolls.

For three decades, public and private high school principals in Texas have been required to distribute voter registration applications to all students who will be 18 years old that school year. The law stipulates that students be offered the applications at least twice per year. But without an enforcement mechanism or sufficient outreach by the state, compliance has been “abysmal,” according to the Texas Civil Rights Project’s report.

Since the 2016 presidential election, only a third of public high schools with more than 20 seniors requested a single voter registration form from the secretary of state’s office, the report’s authors found. In other words, two-thirds of public high schools in Texas didn’t even take the first step in complying with the law, leaving out at least 183,000 students in the last two years alone.
Beyond school principals, blame also lies with Texas Secretary of State Rolando Pablos, said James Slattery, one of the report’s authors. The law does not include a strict enforcement mechanism and leaves implementation largely up to the secretary of state’s office.
It's almost as if people are the problem.

Post by Default »

Can't have them younguns votin'!
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:54 am Texas
About two-thirds of Texas high schools are not following a state law that mandates giving all eligible students the opportunity to register to vote, according to a new report. That means hundreds of thousands of potential voters have been left off the rolls.

For three decades, public and private high school principals in Texas have been required to distribute voter registration applications to all students who will be 18 years old that school year. The law stipulates that students be offered the applications at least twice per year. But without an enforcement mechanism or sufficient outreach by the state, compliance has been “abysmal,” according to the Texas Civil Rights Project’s report.

Since the 2016 presidential election, only a third of public high schools with more than 20 seniors requested a single voter registration form from the secretary of state’s office, the report’s authors found. In other words, two-thirds of public high schools in Texas didn’t even take the first step in complying with the law, leaving out at least 183,000 students in the last two years alone.
Beyond school principals, blame also lies with Texas Secretary of State Rolando Pablos, said James Slattery, one of the report’s authors. The law does not include a strict enforcement mechanism and leaves implementation largely up to the secretary of state’s office.
This doesn’t qualify as voter fraud, just run of the mill voter suppression...

:wink:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:36 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:54 am Texas

This doesn’t qualify as voter fraud, just run of the mill voter suppression...

:wink:
My guess is that pretty much all of the blame would lie with the Secretary of State. I suspect that the vast majority of high schools don't know about the law, and that Pablos isn't in any hurry to inform them.

The story would only really get interesting if only some high schools in some parts of the state were informed about the law. Short of that, this can just as easily be bureaucratic indifference.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's so hard to keep all of it straight.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I would suggest a Voter Apathy thread but I don't really care.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The now-disbanded voting integrity commission launched by the Trump administration to investigate the 2016 presidential election uncovered no evidence to support the president’s claims of widespread voter fraud, according to an analysis of administration documents released.

In a letter to Vice President Mike Pence and Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who are both Republicans and led the commission, Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap said the documents show there was a “pre-ordained outcome” and that drafts of a commission report included a section on evidence of voter fraud that was “glaringly empty.”

“It’s calling into the darkness, looking for voter fraud,” Dunlap, a Democrat, told The Associated Press. “There’s no real evidence of it anywhere.”
The Trump administration last month complied with a court order to turn over documents from the voting integrity commission to Dunlap. The commission met just twice and has not issued a report.
“For some people, no matter how many cases of voter fraud you show them, there will never be enough for them to admit that there’s a problem,” said Kobach, who is running for Kansas governor and has a good chance of unseating the incumbent, Jeff Colyer, in the Republican primary Tuesday.
Kobach said there have been more than 1,000 convictions for voter fraud since 2000, and that the commission presented 8,400 instances of double voting in the 2016 election in 20 states.
In response, Dunlap said those figures were never brought before the commission, and that Kobach hasn’t presented any evidence for his claims of double voting. He said the commission was presented with a report claiming over 1,000 convictions for various forms of voter misconduct since 1948.

“The plural of anecdote is not data,” Dunlap said in his Friday letter to the shuttered commission’s leaders.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McClatchy
It appeared, according to the Georgia Secretary of State’s website, that Habersham County’s Mud Creek precinct in northeastern Georgia had 276 registered voters ahead of the state’s primary elections in May.

Some 670 ballots were cast, according to the Georgia secretary of state’s office, indicating a 243 percent turnout.

But on Tuesday at 10 a.m., the number of registered voters on the secretary of state’s website was changed for Mud Creek to 3,704 registered voters, reflecting a more likely turnout of about 18 percent.

The odd turnout figures last Friday were filed as part of a federal lawsuit against the state by election security activists that included a number of sworn statements and exhibits from activists and voters who experienced a series of bizarre and confusing issues at the state’s polling places.

That confusion comes amid swelling public concern for the security of Georgia’s voting systems. Georgia is one of four states that uses voting machines statewide that produce no paper record for voters to verify, making them difficult to audit, experts say.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

An 11-year-old hacked a replica of Florida’s voting system in 10 minutes
An 11-year-old boy changed fake voting results by hacking into an exact replica of Florida’s state election website in just 10 minutes, according to the organizers of DEF CON 26, an annual hacker convention.

The competition pitted 39 kids, age 6 to 17, against one another to see who could hack into replica election systems of six swing states across the US. Thirty-five of the 39 kids completed the “exploit” and “tampered with vote tallies, party names, [and] candidate names” within 30 minutes, according to DEF CON.
DEF CON participants discovered that voting systems running on expired SSL certificates, encryption keys that are intended to create secure connections, were the most vulnerable and easily hackable. DEF CON said this proved the “malleability of these systems.”

The participants also discovered more vulnerabilities in the system where citizens directly cast their votes. The kids were able to wipe the memory cards from a recreation of state voting machine interfaces (within five seconds) and either replace a voter’s ballot altogether or overload the system with fake voters to render a real voter’s ballot useless.

The Obama administration in 2016 assured voters that the integrity of the election was not compromised, though there were clear signs that the Russian government took various measures to influence the election.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'd be curious how many of those 'hacks' were able to be performed remotely, and how many required you to be at a terminal - or taking apart a terminal somehow. I want more details!

Hearing on the radio that Absentee Ballots are now available in Maine. I'm thinking of voting early by mail and calling it done so I don't have to try and take time off work for it. Blue across the board with my eyes closed. Before Trump, I had never voted in my life because I always felt like I was simply choosing between two bad things, but he's given me a damn good reason to start. On topic: The radio voices tell me that this method is as safe as going to the booth in person, fraud-wise.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I started out voting at the schools and places but later started doing early voting and never looked back. Never tried absentee.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Just reading into it, and it looks like Absentee Ballots aren't "Voting made easy" but require you to either be in the armed services or outside the country. Darn. Looks like I'm taking Nov. 6th off from work.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife knows the 11 year old girl who did the hack in the same amount of time but whose parent kept her name anonymous.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:13 am Just reading into it, and it looks like Absentee Ballots aren't "Voting made easy" but require you to either be in the armed services or outside the country. Darn. Looks like I'm taking Nov. 6th off from work.
Most places have true early voting. Maine does not:
The Maine Constitution and Maine law currently prohibit true early voting.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 am
Paingod wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:13 am Just reading into it, and it looks like Absentee Ballots aren't "Voting made easy" but require you to either be in the armed services or outside the country. Darn. Looks like I'm taking Nov. 6th off from work.
Most places have true early voting. Maine does not:
The Maine Constitution and Maine law currently prohibit true early voting.
I think Michigan is going to come to a boiling point over this contentious issue. We do not and GOP wants to keep it that way but from the sound of it, this primary saw a lot of precincts looking the other way when it comes to the rules of absentee voting. I am sure that did not go unnoticed at this time when the GOP is fighting to retain control of gerrymandering, ahem, drawing district line. It like we're just begging Kentucky to hold our beers when it comes to corruption and graft. If I knew at 24 what I know now, I would have found a way to leave the state I love for another, probably Colorado, which I was already contemplating.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't know the exact scenario for the hack contest, but I'm pretty sure they were given a URL to remotely attack. No mechanical hacks like physically breaking into a voting machine or anything like that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I read a different article on it a couple of days ago. They weren't hacking the voting system directly, just the portion of the website that reports the results. And they were hacking via URL against a clone of the site. It's still problematic, but isn't the same thing as changing votes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Some of the hacks changed real votes. I.e. Blackhawk's vote is now set to another candidate. Some of the hacks overwhelmed real votes by adding enough fake votes to render the legit ones meaningless.

At least that's what I gleaned from skimming articles.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out most articles got it wrong. Journalists aren't known for understanding tech (or the law). Even tech journalists.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Found it. It was a video with interviews directly from the horses' mouths, not an article.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Huh. That was not my understanding at all.

Thanks.

Interestingly, most of the articles I skimmed originated in the UK too.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wonder if they're basing their articles on quotes from the 11-year-olds? "I'm changing the votes!"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The articles could be viewing changing the reporting of the votes as changing the votes themselves.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I went looking (well, I just opened google news which is probably where I saw them in the first place) and couldn't find a single article about any of it, so I completely concede to Blackhawk's understanding of the hacks based on the video of the organizers themselves.

At this point I'm just tossing out what I thought I knew and going with the (correct) information Blackhawk discussed.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

"There are Russians out there, people!"
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And yet, it is still the site that tells people where to vote. All Russian children need to do is set the wrong locations for districts that would vote against their choice and the result could be comparable.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fort Worth
Members of an organized voter fraud ring have been arrested and indicted on charges they targeted and, in one case stole, the votes of elderly voters on the city’s north side.

Four people were arrested — Leticia Sanchez, Leticia Sanchez Tepichin, Maria Solis and Laura Parra — after being indicted on 30 felony counts of voter fraud, according to a statement from the Texas Attorney General’s Office.

These people allegedly were paid to target older voters on the north side “in a scheme to generate a large number of mail ballots and then harvest those ballots for specific candidates in 2016,” the statement read.

“Ballots by mail are intended to make it easier for Texas seniors to vote,” Republican Attorney General Ken Paxton said in a statement. “My office is committed to ensuring that paid vote harvesters who fraudulently generate mail ballots, stealing votes from seniors, are held accountable for their despicable actions and for the damage they inflict on the electoral process.”

Vote harvesting typically happens in two stages. There’s seeding and then harvesting.

The AG’s office explains that applications for mail-in ballots are first sent to “targeted precincts.” Then, “harvesters attempt either to intercept the ballots outright or to ‘assist’ elderly voters in voting their ballots while ensuring that the votes are cast for the candidates of the harvesters’ choice.”
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cartman, is that you?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

These people allegedly were paid to target older voters on the north side “in a scheme to generate a large number of mail ballots and then harvest those ballots for specific candidates in 2016,” the statement read.
Seem like small fish. Who paid them?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:10 am
Seem like small fish. Who paid them?
False flag!!1!1
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So I went to my local yesterday for a quick 2 and my friend and the bartender were telling me about a guy who came in late the other night. He had a thick Irish accent and said he was from Ireland. After a while of drinking, he told them he was here for about a month and was going to vote on Tuesday. As they chatted, he said he was with a group that was going to vote in Chicago, then drive to a precinct in Wisconsin and vote again, and vote again in Missouri or Minnesota or somewhere. They called bullshit but he laid out the exact districts he was going to, the times, etc.

Apparently they are helping some campaigns leading up to the election and then are voting several times on polling day. Cannot prove any of it but they said he seemed matter of fact about it all. Something about having dual citizenship and a fairly common name made it easy?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Did he say who they are voting for?

Voting "early and often" is a very old running gag in the city - one often delivered with a perfectly straight face. Years ago, a friend was a precinct captain for Bernie Epton and invited me to come down and vote as often as I liked (despite me not residing in the city). To this day, I don't know if he was serious, although I suspect not (it would be out of character).
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:43 am So I went to my local yesterday for a quick 2 and my friend and the bartender were telling me about a guy who came in late the other night. He had a thick Irish accent and said he was from Ireland. After a while of drinking, he told them he was here for about a month and was going to vote on Tuesday. As they chatted, he said he was with a group that was going to vote in Chicago, then drive to a precinct in Wisconsin and vote again, and vote again in Missouri or Minnesota or somewhere. They called bullshit but he laid out the exact districts he was going to, the times, etc.

Apparently they are helping some campaigns leading up to the election and then are voting several times on polling day. Cannot prove any of it but they said he seemed matter of fact about it all. Something about having dual citizenship and a fairly common name made it easy?
Taking this at face value, why would he be voting in Chicago? What races are going on there / in Illinois that an Irish national would care about, or that some outside group would want to swing? You'd think they would be hitting NV / AZ / TX / CA or something more like that.

I would say 90% complete bullshit, 9% that it's some Project Veritas type bullshit, and 1% that it's true.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:21 am

Taking this at face value, why would he be voting in Chicago? What races are going on there / in Illinois that an Irish national would care about, or that some outside group would want to swing? You'd think they would be hitting NV / AZ / TX / CA or something more like that.

I would say 90% complete bullshit, 9% that it's some Project Veritas type bullshit, and 1% that it's true.
They got the feeling that he was doing it for a free trip and was voting whatever he was told, not doing it for some greater cause. He knew who he was voting for but didn't know any of the politics. It was just really detailed to be bullshit.

Why Chicago? Apparently he said because they could get to 3 precincts in 3 states by starting in Chicago and that's what they were told to do.

Also, I filed to vote by mail. I just got notification today that my ballot was mailed and would arrive in up to 7 days. 7 days would be after the election. I assume you can still send in a ballot after the election?

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:45 am Also, I filed to vote by mail. I just got notification today that my ballot was mailed and would arrive in up to 7 days. 7 days would be after the election. I assume you can still send in a ballot after the election?
Sort of.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:15 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:45 am Also, I filed to vote by mail. I just got notification today that my ballot was mailed and would arrive in up to 7 days. 7 days would be after the election. I assume you can still send in a ballot after the election?
Sort of.

Unless I am misreading that, that appears to be a definite no. Well, I mean I guess you can send it in, but nobody is going to be counting it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

His facts and his question are in opposition.
I just got notification today that my ballot was mailed and would arrive in up to 7 days.
This is fine, as long as it is not delayed.
I assume you can still send in a ballot after the election?
At the simplest level, you can send in a ballot whenever you want. At a more meaningful reading, it won't be counted if it's mailed after election day. But that's not relevant to his facts.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:30 pm His facts and his question are in opposition.
I just got notification today that my ballot was mailed and would arrive in up to 7 days.
This is fine, as long as it is not delayed.
I assume you can still send in a ballot after the election?
At the simplest level, you can send in a ballot whenever you want. At a more meaningful reading, it won't be counted if it's mailed after election day. But that's not relevant to his facts.
7 days from today is after the election. So if I get it in max time, I'm screwed. Well, not screwed, just my meaningless vote won't be counted.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:37 pm 7 days from today is after the election. So if I get it in max time, I'm screwed. Well, not screwed, just my meaningless vote won't be counted.
If it arrives by the 20th, you'll be counted.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

"...must be postmarked no later than Election Day"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:38 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:37 pm 7 days from today is after the election. So if I get it in max time, I'm screwed. Well, not screwed, just my meaningless vote won't be counted.
If it arrives by the 20th, you'll be counted.
If I get it on the 7th (or late in the 6th even), I can't return it with an election day or prior postmark. I also can't go to the poll to vote without the mail ballot it looks like.

I'm assuming it will take 3-4 days though so I'm not overly concerned.

MYT