Healthcare Increase!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Healthcare Increase!

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm I have probably paid $100k over the last 10-12 years on health insurance and nobody has spent a night in a hospital bed. I guess we lost on that bet.
I'll take losing that bet any time.
Seriously. I'll trade for that in a heartbeat.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm I have probably paid $100k over the last 10-12 years on health insurance and nobody has spent a night in a hospital bed. I guess we lost on that bet.
Well, prior to that I did have two outpatient surgeries. Gall bladder and appendectomy.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:41 pm
Well, prior to that I did have two outpatient surgeries. Gall bladder and appendectomy.
You're not going to win in a medical battle with me and my family. ;)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I don't really want to win that one. :lol:
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Got our info for next year this afternoon...10% premium increase. On top of the 10% increase the year before that. And the 7% increase the year before that.

Now up to $350/month for a high-deductible plan to cover the fam. Awesome. :?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
geezer

Post by geezer »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:55 pm
Scuzz wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:41 pm
You're not going to win in a medical battle with me and my family. ;)
Sadly, I might :(. One one hand my premiums are 2200/month for three of us. On the other, treatment for my wife alone over the past 10 years has exceeded the total we’ve paid in that time, so we’re winning, I guess?

I’d give anything to have simply “wasted” those premiums.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:31 pm Got our info for next year this afternoon...10% premium increase. On top of the 10% increase the year before that. And the 7% increase the year before that.

Now up to $350/month for a high-deductible plan to cover the fam. Awesome. :?
Wish mine was that low. Mine is $460/mo for high deductible ($12K) but no increase this year.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mine is I think 620 a month, but no deductible. We almost never go to the doctor so it's like setting money on fire. :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No increase here. I choose the "Cadillac" since the wife and kids have off campus doctors. In network dudictible is $500/$1000 and out of network is $1,500/$3000.

Monthly is around $595. The other plan, which is somewhat limited to our own providers, is $350 a month. Wish I could do that but wife and kids are attached to their docs. Our out of pocket is still usually under a few hundred a year so I'm not complaining.

I will complain about orthodontics for an 8-year-old though...
:grund:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Healthcare Increase!

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Ours is around $600/month for family of 5, and about a $450 deductible (for the year).

Does the number of ppl included in your plan affect the cost normally? i.e family of 3 covered by one employer’s insurance vs family of 6 covered by one employers insurance.

I certainly can’t complain though, from 1999 to 2015, I paid nothing! Company covered 100% of I assume what would now be considered a Cadillac plan. No deductibles, no premium. Just had to pay $20-$30 copay for visits and such. Seems like a dream now!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Already paid my $10,000 out of pocket on the HD plan that started in June. $400 vials of insulin x2 kids. :(
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am Ours is around $600/month for family of 5, and about a $450 deductible (for the year).

Does the number of ppl included in your plan affect the cost normally? i.e family of 3 covered by one employer’s insurance vs family of 6 covered by one employers insurance.
There's 5 in our family. For comparison on our $350/month (which I'm ashamed at complaining about, after seeing some of these others), we've got a $4,800 family deductible and a $5,800 out-of-pocket max.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am Does the number of ppl included in your plan affect the cost normally? i.e family of 3 covered by one employer’s insurance vs family of 6 covered by one employers insurance.
We have different rates for 0 kids, 1-2 kids and 3+ kids. We were going to stop at one kid but since insurance for the second was free we went for it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ours options are simply self, self+spouse, and family.

Now, we've been lucky so far in that almost 9 months over the past two years, my MiL has not needed any medical care, which is my wife's biggest concern.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Blue Shield charges per kid, and the rates go up as the kids get older. That was something ACA brought to the party. Of course the ability to cover your kid until they are 26 was also ACA. So that is the good and the bad.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am

Not traditionally but it is changing. Usually it's employee, employee+1 (spouse/partner, single parent), family.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:15 pm Blue Shield charges per kid, and the rates go up as the kids get older. That was something ACA brought to the party. Of course the ability to cover your kid until they are 26 was also ACA. So that is the good and the bad.
Must be the plan your employer negotiated. I have BCBS, and don't have to pay-per-kid (although if I did and the general family is defined at 2.5 kids then maybe I'll get a little bit of a break).
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Not my employer but maybe a group thing. My business was pretty small and so we piggy backed (or whatever you want to call it) with other small groups. The plan was obtained thru a broker.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So I did all my benefits today. For the heck of it, if I went with the lowest tier in each category, I could have saved maybe $5K a year in premiums. But the wife and kids are ensconced in their chosen providers so I'm going with the larger network with higher premiums.

I also said f-it and maxed out dependent care FSA ($5k) and health FSA ($2,650 I think). Parking FSA is new, it almost seems unnecessary. I went from $260/month in parking downtown to $30 here but what the heck. I guess for people who park in metra lots ot whatever...

But anyway, lowering my taxable income by another $8K or so.

Starting to like he forgotten money aspect of FSAs.

MYT
Montag

Post by Montag »

16% increase in premiums, resulting in a 10% increase in max out of pocket.
words
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So as part of my wife's healthcare plan, we have access (through her employer) to a Health Advocate - an intermediary that helps sort out problems with your insurance company when there are issues with billing or coding.

Back in September my wife had a test done and it was coded wrong, resulting in a $500 charge to us. After speaking a few times with the insurance company and physician's office ourselves, it could not be resolved so the Health Advocate was asked to deal with it. We were repeatedly assured she would do so and a few weeks ago were told it was taken care of.

Punchline: letter from collections agency shows up today because the bill was never paid. Doctor's office said the last time they spoke to health advocate was early October.

The fact that we paid someone to not help us and then put us into goddamn collections is enraging beyond words.

Oh, and our 2019 deductible went up by $500 a year and her employer lowered their contribution to the HSA. Is there a flamethrower emojii for this because I'm ready to detonate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Because I have over 20 years in this racket, I get called in to fix a lot of those types of things (we all need stuff to do to ensure we put in our extra 12 hours a week, right?). One of the most common "solutions" I have to resolve is of the "if you ignore it, it will go away" variety.

Health Advocates can only sort out the most egregious errors. Anything else they aren't of any standing. By no fault of their own. Just that HIPAA and what not makes it difficult for a 3rd party to do much of anything. So they just throw out some platitudes and move on to the next case.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't have a problem that she couldn't fix it. My issue is she said it was fixed and now we're in collections. That's really screwed up.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:16 pm I don't have a problem that she couldn't fix it. My issue is she said it was fixed and now we're in collections. That's really screwed up.
Saying it's fixed moves it to complete and gets the company paid.

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:57 pm So as part of my wife's healthcare plan, we have access (through her employer) to a Health Advocate - an intermediary that helps sort out problems with your insurance company when there are issues with billing or coding.

Back in September my wife had a test done and it was coded wrong, resulting in a $500 charge to us. After speaking a few times with the insurance company and physician's office ourselves, it could not be resolved so the Health Advocate was asked to deal with it. We were repeatedly assured she would do so and a few weeks ago were told it was taken care of.

Punchline: letter from collections agency shows up today because the bill was never paid. Doctor's office said the last time they spoke to health advocate was early October.

The fact that we paid someone to not help us and then put us into goddamn collections is enraging beyond words.

Oh, and our 2019 deductible went up by $500 a year and her employer lowered their contribution to the HSA. Is there a flamethrower emojii for this because I'm ready to detonate.
hey, but now you have fast internet.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:16 pm I don't have a problem that she couldn't fix it. My issue is she said it was fixed and now we're in collections. That's really screwed up.
When my second kid was born she had to have some tests done at a local childrens hospital. Everything turned out fine and they were given my insurance info. Many months later the collection department of the hospital started contacting me wanting payment. I told them according to my insurance company everything was fine. They kept calling, for months, until somebody finally convinced them it had been paid. I don't remember now (it was 25 years ago) whether I sent them a copy of something or if my insurance company finally contacted them. But I do remember that my insurance company was useless in resolving it quickly.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Normally I'd be in IDGAF mode, but I've got some financial situations pending and the fact that this would now appear on my credit report is making me want to get ridiculous over the telephone. Smoove_B always pays his debts and when you mix that with my general disdain/loathing for our healthcare industry and their billing practices, they've merged into a Mechagodzilla thorn in my side.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Between Obamacare and its subsequent undoing, I have a question: is continuing coverage still a requirement for pre-existing conditions? Wife can't get insurance for 3 months at her new job (she started last night) and I'm trying to figure out if I need to spend $2500 on COBRA during that time.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:58 am Between Obamacare and its subsequent undoing, I have a question: is continuing coverage still a requirement for pre-existing conditions? Wife can't get insurance for 3 months at her new job (she started last night) and I'm trying to figure out if I need to spend $2500 on COBRA during that time.
Are you looking to go without insurance for 3 months or just concerned whether pre-ex will be covered by her new employer?

For the latter, yes, pre-ex coverage is still mandated under ACA (though it's been on the GOP chopping block for a while).

Re: the former, going without insurance is not recommended.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:58 am Between Obamacare and its subsequent undoing, I have a question: is continuing coverage still a requirement for pre-existing conditions? Wife can't get insurance for 3 months at her new job (she started last night) and I'm trying to figure out if I need to spend $2500 on COBRA during that time.
COBRA is over $800 for your wife? Ack. I was figuring $750 a month into my retirement plan including annual deductibles and copays and coinsures for an ACA plan with you know, actual coverage. Please don't tell me I've under budgeted. That $750 a month is already what puts me into retirement isn't in sight at well over 1/3rd my monthly expenses plan.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:34 am
COBRA is over $800 for your wife? Ack. I was figuring $750 a month into my retirement plan including annual deductibles and copays and coinsures for an ACA plan with you know, actual coverage. Please don't tell me I've under budgeted. That $750 a month is already what puts me into retirement isn't in sight at well over 1/3rd my monthly expenses plan.
Presumably that's family coverage, not one individual. Either way, COBRA is based in employer total premium so it's usually higher than ACA alternatives.

Also, you plan to retire before Medicare eligibility? Well, la de da, don't be late to the country club! :wink:

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:34 pm
Presumably that's family coverage, not one individual. Either way, COBRA is based in employer total premium so it's usually higher than ACA alternatives.

Also, you plan to retire before Medicare eligibility? Well, la de da, don't be late to the country club! :wink:
Not just before Medicare but before I can start cashing in on my 401K and IRAs. That has been dedicated existence since 2014 after I got the monkey of house payments off my back. I can't make it to 65, nor even 59.5.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I believe you can withdraw from a 401(k) penalty-free to pay insurance premiums after a job loss.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:23 pm I believe you can withdraw from a 401(k) penalty-free to pay insurance premiums after a job loss.
Even voluntary and permanent? That doesn't sound right. Borrowing against them? does. There are lots of ways you can borrow against your 401k. But it's something to think about should I find myself in the position of trying to bridge that gap between x and 59.5.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Insurance costs can vary greatly from state to state. And Cobra coverage tends to be more expensive than regular coverage. If you buy thru your states marketplace you would find cheaper coverage.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

COBRA is your employer's policy without your employer's subsidy (although you do get their group rate). It's kind of a last-ditch emergency backup. If you're sure you'll only need it for three months, it will be easier than going thru the O-care exchange. I'd price that out anyway, just to see how much extra you'd have to pay for the convenience. $800 for a family plan sounds pretty good to me -- Wife's plan is $1,500/mo before subsidy. I would NOT risk going uninsured during a pandemic!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:15 pm COBRA is your employer's policy without your employer's subsidy (although you do get their group rate). It's kind of a last-ditch emergency backup. If you're sure you'll only need it for three months, it will be easier than going thru the O-care exchange. I'd price that out anyway, just to see how much extra you'd have to pay for the convenience. $800 for a family plan sounds pretty good to me -- Wife's plan is $1,500/mo before subsidy. I would NOT risk going uninsured during a pandemic!
This is the dirt-cheap plan with a deductible close to $20K. All it gets me is negotiated rates on meds and routine doctor appointments.

Wife is going to have a rude awakening soon when she assumes the health insurance. Already I advised her to claim zero exemptions on her W-4, with two jobs, tax time won't be fun. She's getting a raise with the new job, but her paychecks will be substantially smaller.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holy fuck...the lowest price on the Illinois exchange is $1500 per month. My original question -- are insurers denying coverage for pre-existing conditions if there is a short gap?
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:17 pm Holy fuck...the lowest price on the Illinois exchange is $1500 per month. My original question -- are insurers denying coverage for pre-existing conditions if there is a short gap?
If you scroll up, Lawbeef says No.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:17 pm Holy fuck...the lowest price on the Illinois exchange is $1500 per month. My original question -- are insurers denying coverage for pre-existing conditions if there is a short gap?
ACA (exchange) plans cannot deny for pre-ex. Probably why they're $1,500.

But that's without subsidy. Did you walk through the questions? I did a standard for family of 4 with $100K income and it started at $800 with the tax credit. Lower income gets more credit and possibly CHIP. But I also maxed out income so there was no subsidy and plans started at $1300.

Are you doing healthcare.gov or one of the brokers?

MYT