tesla motors

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: tesla motors

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:37 pm The latest software update (#9) has a blind spot warning when you engage the turn signal.
I really don't think looking at the screen when changing lanes is the best idea... needs to be more obvious and/or an audible indication.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:37 pm The latest software update (#9) has a blind spot warning when you engage the turn signal.
I really don't think looking at the screen when changing lanes is the best idea... needs to be more obvious and/or an audible indication.
:shock:

My crappy Nissan has a light on each side mirror that goes on when someone is in the blind spot then flashes AND beeps if you turn on your signal when a car is there. It is exactly were your attention should be when contemplating such a maneuver.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm
I assume there will be a beep like most everything else.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Give it time. Try to change lanes when there's a car there? "I'm sorry, Dave; I'm afraid I can't do that."
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:36 pm Give it time. Try to change lanes when there's a car there? "I'm sorry, Dave; I'm afraid I can't do that."
Damn, somebody needs to develop an add-on that will let you customize messages. I would pay for that shit.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

My car's side mirrors have built in fisheye blind spot mirrors. Once I got used to using them, they're fantastic. My wife doesn't like my car at all, but really likes that feature. I've always been super confused why most cars have gigantic side mirrors, but don't have a blind spot mirror.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My 2018 Focus has them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Cause you shouldn't have a blind spot if your mirrors are properly adjusted?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There is always a blind spot.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

mori

Post by mori »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:49 pm That's a common misconception.
That is basic shit that should of and probably was taught in basic drivers education. But by far the majority of people I pull up behind that I can see their faces in their side view mirror. If I can see your face when I am directly behind you, your mirrors are not positioned correctly.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

That’s an important lesson I learned after buying the Camaro. Proper mirror usage is the only way to see what’s happening anywhere other than directly in front of you.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Guy at work brought his new Model 3 in today; he opted for the AWD model which as I understood him, is the mid level option. Fantastic car. The sparseness, if that's a word, is a bit jarring to me...I feel like the P100D had more 'stuff' going on in the dashboard area but I could be wrong. But yeah that's a very nice ride and it would absolutely bury our Mini; felt like the 0-60 time was easily sub 5 sec. I didn't have a stopwatch on it or anything but I tried to get a rough estimate when he took me out for a spin, but that becomes difficult when you're trying to keep your head from slamming into the headrest. 😁
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
RunningMn9

tesla motors

Post by RunningMn9 »

Yeah, the dash is definitely a but austere. Just a tablet and a steering wheel. But the performance is ridiculous. And that glorious glass roof.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
raydude

Post by raydude »

RunningMn9 wrote:That’s an important lesson I learned after buying the Camaro. Proper mirror usage is the only way to see what’s happening anywhere other than directly in front of you.
After seeing this I decided to try it out and swing my mirrors out more. I love it! I still turn my head to confirm I’m clear but that’s just force of habit. Good tip guys!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Tesla fleet reached 10 billion cumulative miles driven yesterday. Pretty cool, albeit still a miniscule number in the grand scheme of things.

For any of you fence-sitters, Tesla announced this week that they are ensuring that all US orders placed by 11/30 will be delivered in 2018 in order to qualify for the full tax credit. Just gonna leave that out there. :) They are also offering the 260-mile mid-range battery, so the entry price after federal tax credit is currently $38,500. A bunch of east coast states plus CA, CO, and LA also have state incentives to further bring it down.

After 1/1/19, the credit gets cut in half for the first half of 2019, and halves again for the 2nd half of 2019. Assuming the recently-launched EV Coalition of GM/Nissan/Tesla/some smaller companies doesn't succeed in lobbying for a change to the by-manufacturer cap by then.

:horse:

Use someone's referral code if you do order, as they toss in 6 months of free Supercharging currently, and offer various things to the referring person. Mine is here, and I imagine coop and Jaymann have codes, as well.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 pm The Tesla fleet reached 10 billion cumulative miles driven yesterday. Pretty cool, albeit still a miniscule number in the grand scheme of things.

For any of you fence-sitters, Tesla announced this week that they are ensuring that all US orders placed by 11/30 will be delivered in 2018 in order to qualify for the full tax credit. Just gonna leave that out there. :) They are also offering the 260-mile mid-range battery, so the entry price after federal tax credit is currently $38,500. A bunch of east coast states plus CA, CO, and LA also have state incentives to further bring it down.
I'm curious, is determining the entry price of the car just a matter of subtracting the tax credit from the sale price? Or is it more complicated than that? I want to know because I am one of those people who can order a Tesla now but was waiting for the lower priced models to come online. So this is something I may want to take advantage of, but I need some way to compare and contrast my options.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Federal credit is not refundable, so if you have at least $7500 of liability to offset, then yes it's that simple. You'd get that money back on your next tax return. If you have less than that in liability, it'd zero out (and you'd get less therefore).

State credits vary. Colorado's is refundable. I don't know on the others.
raydude

Post by raydude »

So, my wife's friend who recently bought a Model 3 also splurged on after market paint protection for it. She said she read somewhere that Tesla owners recommended doing this, especially to ward off scratches near the door handles and stuff.

Did anyone here get their cars covered in after market paint coatings? Are these just for people who don't want to wash and wax their cars?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think they are largely for the anal among us. I did not opt to do it, although I did get some quotes. To cover the whole car as 'recommended' by a good detail shop was going to be on the order of $5k. To do just the front and front quarter panels was over $2k.

I'll take my chances.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah tesla owners are a bunch of elitist assholes, it's a thing luxury car people do. SOme of us have had our car for over three months and never washed it. The collected dirt makes a good protective barrier. It has worked on all my other cars.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:20 am SOme of us have had our car for over three months and never washed it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I had my last car for 5 years and probably washed it... maybe 5 or 6 times. That's more washes than oil changes.

Tesla makes it more annoying not wanting us going through most car washes.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Not Tesla-specific, but I added SmartShield to my Miata. It's basically a permanent wax job that adds shine and comes with a warranty. When I had body work done, though, I had to let the dealer reapply the coating to the newly-painted panels in order to preserve the warranty. Insurance covered it, but the extra service trip was kind of a hassle. On the plus side, it matched perfectly and you can't tell that nearly half of the car was repainted. I assume Tesla's polymer coating is the same thing.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 pm The Tesla fleet reached 10 billion cumulative miles driven yesterday. Pretty cool, albeit still a miniscule number in the grand scheme of things.

After 1/1/19, the credit gets cut in half for the first half of 2019, and halves again for the 2nd half of 2019. Assuming the recently-launched EV Coalition of GM/Nissan/Tesla/some smaller companies doesn't succeed in lobbying for a change to the by-manufacturer cap by then.

:horse:

Use someone's referral code if you do order, as they toss in 6 months of free Supercharging currently, and offer various things to the referring person. Mine is here, and I imagine coop and Jaymann have codes, as well.
It was at this point (Nov 16-17) after seeing Zaxxon's posts that I decided to go in and configure my Tesla and submit my order. I opted for RWD, my wife really wanted to go in on the autopilot after seeing her friend demonstrate it, and we went with basic (free) black across the board. One week later I get an email that my Tesla will be ready to be delivered on Dec 3. I finalize the ordering process, giving them my insurance information (not with the Tesla yet, because I haven't received the VIN number). Monday before Thanksgiving I start the process of getting a car loan with the credit union near work.

On Black Friday I get the call that they can deliver the Tesla the following week if I wanted. I'm like, um, I still need a VIN number to put it on my insurance and the Credit Union needs like, a bill of sale so they can cut me a check for the amount financed. Oh yes, we will send you that right away! Well then, I say, let's shoot for a delivery on Thursday Nov 29. Not a problem! they say. I tell the kids and wife and they're excited to see it on Thursday. I get to the FCU on Monday with my paperwork and they say "Oh yes, here's your check and these are the steps you follow for paying Tesla." I text Tesla back and ask "Can you bump it up to Wednesday, 11/27?" "Not a problem! See you Wednesday!"

So yesterday I took possession of my car. I told my wife I wanted to pick up the kids from school. We both show up, and the girls are walking to where we usually park and asking "Where's our car?" (the regular family car). And my wife says "Don't you see it?" And they see the Tesla symbol and scream! I want to scream too, it's that cool.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

:D

A little over three months for me and I still want to scream every time I get in it. My kids are also still excited to ride it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome, Raydude. Welcome to the club.

I don't still scream each time I get into it, but I do frequently slam the go pedal at random times, causing my girls to scream.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am I had my last car for 5 years and probably washed it... maybe 5 or 6 times. That's more washes than oil changes.

Tesla makes it more annoying not wanting us going through most car washes.
Just got mine washed ans waxed. It really enhances the experience.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Sweet, I didn't realize there was a tesla group here!

I got my 3 in July, and so far am still loving it.

Is it really true that you aren't supposed to take it through regular car washes or is that a myth? I've only been washing by hand so far, but I've been getting lazier now that the initial love affair period has dampened.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've heard that you're not supposed to wash them at all, but instead attach a 6' copper pole (not included) to the roof during intense lightning storms so the car can be ionized safely, repelling all dirt and debris for 4-6 weeks afterwards.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

They recommend only touchless auto washes. I use some waterless stuff from TeslaChick (which I understand is basically off-brand Optimum No Rinse). When it's really dirty I take it to a touchless wash.

I'll have to try the copper pole trick...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

rittchard wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:55 pm Sweet, I didn't realize there was a tesla group here!

Is it really true that you aren't supposed to take it through regular car washes or is that a myth? I've only been washing by hand so far, but I've been getting lazier now that the initial love affair period has dampened.
I dunno other than it is said it is a bad idea for any high end vehicle. I figure if you can afford a Tesla, you can spring for a hand wash occasionally.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am :D

A little over three months for me and I still want to scream every time I get in it. My kids are also still excited to ride it.
ya but they are screaming in horror because you don't wash it :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

naednek wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:26 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am :D

ya but they are screaming in horror because you don't wash it :P
I have 9 and 12 year old boys. I am not sure they could even *define* clean.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rittchard wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:55 pm Sweet, I didn't realize there was a tesla group here!

Hey rittchard, welcome to the club and feel free to stick around a while. You'll still have to go to GT for all the game trailers and what are you buying thread, but there is a lot more random chat (and tesla owners) here.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I have been tossing the idea around of getting a new car for the last couple of years to replace my 12 year old Acura. I looked at Audi’s and Acura’s but wasn’t really thinking about a Tesla. I was intrigued by the S and the tech when I first sat in one in 2014, but no way was I going to spend the amount of money the spec I wanted was running.

Well, lo and behold, I swing by the local Tesla showroom last Tuesday after work to check out the Model 3. I do a test drive, and pretty much fall in love with it on the spot. I really like the minimalist nature inside. I go home and sleep on the idea. The next night, last Wednesday, I decide to go for it, and order from my mobile phone while in bed. I was prepared to not get it until late December, but Tesla delivered it to my house this past Tuesday, less than a week from when I ordered it. I have to say I prefer this car buying experience to any of my precious encounters. I do however feel a bit of guilt, as I know there are still people who reserved one two years ago waiting on theirs.
-something witty-
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Awesome! What config did you get? Hopefully you'll not lurk infinitely now. :)
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I got a long range AWD with EAP in blue. I had a bit of range anxiety before ordering so I decided to get the highest range I could. I’m in constant awe of the acceleration and I haven’t even really punched it yet.
Last edited by infinitelurker on Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-something witty-
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet. That's my car, but with an extra motor.