Assassins Creed Odyssey

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Newcastle

Re: Assassins Creed Odyssey

Post by Newcastle »

The tagging highlights the enemies and objectives for you. So when you approach a fort/camp/house you know where the loot is, the objectives (ie burn crate) and if you did it right all of your enemies are highlighted. You can then start to stalk each of the enemies till their dead or you want to go wild on em.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So i got on the high seas yesterday and i found that cleaving a ship in is a thing and its rewarding. I had been fighting ships down by boarding them and beating em that way. however, yesterday i decided to cleave a boat...ie rammed it and split it apart. And the boat sunk! Not only that, but the chest rewards went straight to my inventory, and I got a pop up. Evidently cleaving a boat rewards you more (no idea how much, wasn't paying that much attention) you still get some health, but not as much as boarding.

-Also, I saw an elite "gold" boat, you know the ones with the gold badge like thing on it, showing you it was more difficult than an average boat. Like the captains are differen than the common foot soldier. Anyway, I fhought this thing, and i ended up winning a new ship design. Design is a misnomer, it was more a new coat of paint and a different sail. Structure of boat remained same.

The boat was not a mercenary either, i checked.

Something to toy with.
Bayraktar!!!!

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Newcastle wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:17 pm The tagging highlights the enemies and objectives for you. So when you approach a fort/camp/house you know where the loot is, the objectives (ie burn crate) and if you did it right all of your enemies are highlighted. You can then start to stalk each of the enemies till their dead or you want to go wild on em.
I should come out of bird mode to do that right?
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Yeah...tag in bird mode...slaughter in spartan mode
Bayraktar!!!!

Chaz

Post by Chaz »

The other bit is that if something like a chest or hidden entrance is off-screen while you're in hover mode, you'll get a semi-circle pointer aiming at it. That lets you swing your reticle over there to find it. Fair warning that the range on that is pretty wide, so it might wind up tagging a chest that's a few hundred meters away from the building you're casing.

Think of the eagle as a scout drone. That hovers. Don't think about that part too deeply.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thermals.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Somewhat contradictorily, I both a) had a lot of fun with the game this weekend and b) may have hit the point of burnout. I ended up doing a bunch of side content on some of the optional islands, which I really enjoyed. There was a rebellion, an island with a battle royale, and a quest line involving bandits and someone's long-lost brother, all of which were great. I killed a cult member, hunted one of the legendary beasts, and recruited a cool new lieutenant for my ship. Good stuff!

Then I got to Sparta, at about Level 35 and nearly 50 hours in the game, and in order to advance the main plot further, I have been given yet another triple set of sub-quests to do, including conquering yet another nation and hunting yet another cult member. My enthusiasm for this is... waning. I'm hoping that a day or two break from the game will refresh me a bit (because, really, 50 hours in the 10 days or so since the game came out is a lot of gaming). I really would like to finish at least the main family plot line but I'm feeling like I've had too many servings of Thanksgiving dinner at the moment.

- Ash
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Asharak wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 am Somewhat contradictorily, I both a) had a lot of fun with the game this weekend and b) may have hit the point of burnout. I ended up doing a bunch of side content on some of the optional islands, which I really enjoyed. There was a rebellion, an island with a battle royale, and a quest line involving bandits and someone's long-lost brother, all of which were great. I killed a cult member, hunted one of the legendary beasts, and recruited a cool new lieutenant for my ship. Good stuff!

Then I got to Sparta, at about Level 35 and nearly 50 hours in the game, and in order to advance the main plot further, I have been given yet another triple set of sub-quests to do, including conquering yet another nation and hunting yet another cult member. My enthusiasm for this is... waning. I'm hoping that a day or two break from the game will refresh me a bit (because, really, 50 hours in the 10 days or so since the game came out is a lot of gaming). I really would like to finish at least the main family plot line but I'm feeling like I've had too many servings of Thanksgiving dinner at the moment.

- Ash
I'm at 30 hours, 26% done and I've hit that wall too. I finally completed a long chain of missions tied to a side quest and now my next biggie Odyssey Quest is to go to Athens. And I know I'm going to be unlocking a bunch of new things to do. Meantime there's this island nearby and damn, there are "?" on it just inviting me to explore. I think I might just read today :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So i came across an interesting fight last night. I cleared an island down to about .5 of a bar, making it vulnerable to a change of faction control. Now, when I went to "volunteer" for the fight. I heard the guys say "yeah the ship battles are ready now; are you?"

Ship battles, I thought, you're kidding me. I just retooled my abilities for ground combat. I sign up. Anyway, the game loads, I hear shanty singing, and well sure enough I am on my boat fighting for the faction control. I selected to help the invasion force, so it was harder. I also had a 3 star bounty on me.

I proceeded to get my stuffin knocked out of me. I thought I was a decent pilot. Oh no, no no no. How mistaken I was. Automatically i had two elite enemies after me, I think one was at least a mercenary. And all I had to do was sink 4 ships. So i proceed to attack one, board it, and kill it off. As soon as I get back to me boat, I see that the opponents boats are milling in the area. I take control, and my health is down about 50% already, despite me supposedly getting a health boost from boarding a boat.

I tried it about 3 times failing all three times. Finally I failed the mission because I boarded a boat in an out of bounds area. And got time out of the mission. I am disappointed that happened. But it's also a bit of a relief. Just not sure how I would have beat it. I am going to try it again. But have to rethink my tactics. I think I'll take down the area to absolutely zero faction power, and hope that lessens the odds I am against. I am also going to kill off the guy who holds my bounty. Then will test out the combat again.

It was a tough naval battle, and I have invested some in to my ship. Have about 3 bars in arrows, hull, ram strength, and rowers stamina, with some javelin and fire mixed it.
Bayraktar!!!!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Newcastle wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 am Ship battles, I thought, you're kidding me. I just retooled my abilities for ground combat. I sign up. Anyway, the game loads, I hear shanty singing, and well sure enough I am on my boat fighting for the faction control. I selected to help the invasion force, so it was harder. I also had a 3 star bounty on me.
Holy crap :shock:, I didn't even occur to me that there would be a Conquest ship battle.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

After taking a break by playing a few hours of Hitman (thanks Coop!), I've gotten my second wind of playing Odyssey. I'm in Athens and I spent a little while just wandering around looking at the sights. I've decided to quit worrying about "?" markers and just do some quests and let them take me where they will.

And there are some sights to see... goat sacrifice?

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm
And there are some sights to see... goat sacrifice?
Yep. There's actually a scene later with a major tribute at one of the temples and there are sacrificed cattle piled all over the place. The game drops in a bit of historical context by mentioning that the gods fed on the smell of the burning sacrifices leaving worshipers free to eat the roast meat. Ancient Greek religious ceremonies were really just giant BBQs.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

37 hours in now and I'm again burning out a bit. I'm at 37% progression and 28% regions discovered. To have a hope of completing the main campaign before I completely lose interest I've been skipping all animal quests, timed quests and assaulting forts or fortified locations unless sent there by a quest. Also I'm not doing any side quests that want me to reduce enemy forces or kill enemy polemarchs for the sake of weakening one side or the other. And still I feel like there's just an overwhelming amount of things to do ahead of me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No one is making you finish the game. Just have fun and when that stops just quit and deleted it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:23 pm No one is making you finish the game. Just have fun and when that stops just quit and deleted it.
Actually I'm making me try to finish the game. Otherwise I'll have to suspect that I'm getting too old to complete big games. Then I'm stuck doing Stardew Valley and Candy Crush. Then it's just a small step to checkers and yelling at kids to keep off my lawn.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

jztemple2 wrote:37 hours in now and I'm again burning out a bit. I'm at 37% progression and 28% regions discovered. To have a hope of completing the main campaign before I completely lose interest I've been skipping all animal quests, timed quests and assaulting forts or fortified locations unless sent there by a quest. Also I'm not doing any side quests that want me to reduce enemy forces or kill enemy polemarchs for the sake of weakening one side or the other. And still I feel like there's just an overwhelming amount of things to do ahead of me.
If you haven't done the Alkibiades side quests yet, it's a fun one worth doing.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still no sale..*shakes fists*....Only sale out there is for $50
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

It's brand new. Sadly, if it's like Origins you won't seen any significant sales for at least 6 months, maybe a year.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wasn't that long ago you could find a nice game for $20. But I don't see a thing on GoG.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

This game has its hooks in me deep. Not surprising, because Origins did the same thing to me in the spring. I'm about forty hours deep, according to Steam's tracking*, and level 25. This thing is great/awful for ADD folks like me. There's tons of stuff to do, I want to do most of it, and I get distracted constantly. It's basically "SQUIRREL! The Game." I'll start out saying I want to do one of the main quests. I head that way, keep getting sidetracked by other stuff along the way, and after two hours, I maybe make it to the area I was headed to in the first place. Or a mission takes me to a new island I haven't been to, and since I'm there anyway, I wind up clearing out all the quests and question marks in the place.

At this point, I've decided that I'm mostly bypassing the various bandit and military camps, and animal lairs around the map. I did most of them in Origins, but there's just so much more in Odyssey that I've gotta draw the line somewhere. If I get something else that takes me into a camp or fort, I'll clear it while I'm there, but otherwise I'm skipping. I'm swimming in loot, and most of it boosts hunter or warrior damage, while I'm looking for assassin bonuses, so a lot of loot is no good for me anyway.

One thing I was concerned about coming in was the character and story. I really, really liked Bayek. He was an appealing mix of pissed and out for vengeance, and also kindly and willing to help those in need. I didn't think they'd hit a similar note in Odyssey, but they did. Kassandra is definitely crankier than Bayek, but they still manage to give her enough compassion that she's approachable, and her crankiness is very understandable given her history. So yeah, this thing is pretty damn great.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I'm still cracked out pretty hard. About the same level as you.

I handle the "Look, squirrel!" problem by stating my goal before each play session. Sometimes it may be just to mainline quests, sometimes it may be killing cultists, sometimes it may be doing the legendary animal hunts. Whatever it is, I'll focus on it and only hit question marks or other points of interest if they're on the way to whatever I'm focused on.

In AC: Origins I tended to scour zones completely before moving on, but that seems counter-productive in this game. Particularly since many quests will take you into forts and things anyway. If you clear them ahead of time, you're just giving yourself busy work. I figure when all is said and done I'll 100% everything in free play mode. Until then, anything I clear is just a bonus that I won't have to do at the end.

I will say that I'm not super keen on the bounty hunter system. If killing a bounty hunter actually dropped your bounty, then it would be fun and worthwhile, but as it stands, killing them does nothing. They just wind up being a constant annoyance - particularly when you get good enough at combat that they don't pose a serious challenge. I get that they were kind of shooting for a Shadow of Mordor-esque Nemesis system, but it just feels half baked.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

To be clear, I'm totally fine with the SQUIRREL! element. I never feels like I'm being forced to do anything I don't want to do. It's mostly amusing when I look at the clock, realize two hours is gone, and I totally lost track of what I was originally intending to do.

I'm not super keen on the mercenary system either. I mostly like that it gives me a reason to sometimes not loot everything I see, and sometimes the extra bit of chaos they can inject is fun. But sometimes I don't want to deal with it, and then I'm glad that it's easy and relatively affordable to pay the bounty off. Hell, if it's convenient enough, I'm also glad I can clear the bounty with more murder.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

First, I want to thank you folks with your recent discussions about getting a bit frazzled on the game and avoiding that, it has helped me to realize that I burned out because I was trying to make myself do too much. I especially liked the "SQUIRREL! The Game" comment :D. So I'm back to playing the game.

Secondly, you can go to Club Ubisoft if you want to get a more in-depth look at your stats.

And now I'm off to go find a doctor! In the game that is... :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:04 pm I will say that I'm not super keen on the bounty hunter system. If killing a bounty hunter actually dropped your bounty, then it would be fun and worthwhile, but as it stands, killing them does nothing.
That's not true. There are bonuses for mowing down bounty hunters and moving up the ranks.

Perks in the spoiler (note, no actual spoilers in the spoiler unless you consider bonuses to be spoilers). Did I spoil that?:
Spoiler:

The 1.06 patch bumped the value of several perks and that's what the "(up from X%)" means.

Tier 9 – This is where start.
Tier 8 – Blacksmiths reduce their prices by 50% (up from 20%).
Tier 7 – War Contracts and Bounties provide 20% more rewards.
Tier 6 – Blacksmiths also reduce the price on their engraving services by 50% (up from 20%).
Tier 5 – Fearful sponsors remove their bounties for 20% less.
Tier 4 – Reduces ship upgrades by 50% (up from 20%).
Tier 3 – Blacksmiths also reduce the price on their upgrading services by 50% (up from 30%).
Tier 2 – Increased luck by 10% to find greater items as you explore the world.
Tier 1 – The highest mercenary tier in the game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I actually just noticed that reward system last night. That does help ease the pain a bit.

I also didn't realize you could kill the bounty guy to remove the bounty, provided you can find him and get through his defenses. I did that last night to much satisfaction.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:09 pm Yeah I actually just noticed that reward system last night. That does help ease the pain a bit.

I also didn't realize you could kill the bounty guy to remove the bounty, provided you can find him and get through his defenses. I did that last night to much satisfaction.
If you knock out bounty hunters you can also recruit them as legendary officers for your ship.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

70 hours into the game and I believe I’m only about two thirds through. But I could be wrong as every time I think I should be nearing some kind of decline in things to do, a completely new story springs forth from a random sidequest I picked up.

This game is clearly inspired by Witcher III. I would put this just behind that game in terms of sheer depth and breadth of rpg gameplay.

I hope I finish this by 2020 so I can play the next one for a few years too. :wub:
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is the last game Donna got me. Bought it for me on a super sale on Dec 24. I played the crap out of it for the 4 days before I rushed her to the hospital. Loved it. Got to another island and such. She loved me having fun with it. When I started it I remember showing her the intro cutscene and her smiling and saying something like "Im glad you like it..now play it." Ive not been able to touch it since Dec 28. Maybe one day I think I can...maybe not. But it is a fine game I can say that. It held the promise of a huge and detailed game world.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had this on pause for the longest time. I think I picked it up during some crazy STEAM sale and it was just too close to finishing Origins for me to get into. Well, I'm fully engrossed now - what a tremendously awesome game this is. Of course I have it on the easiest difficulty and I'm taking my time meandering around, but the look and game play is top-notch. For $20 right now as part of the sale, it's a no-brainer (though I'm not sure what I'd recommend more at this point - Odyssey or Origins...might come down to the theme you like more).
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm (though I'm not sure what I'd recommend more at this point - Odyssey or Origins...might come down to the theme you like more).
Odyssey = Kassandra = winning, Origins was good but Odyssey is the one

Of course, I like Odyssey's setting better too so there may be some of that in there too.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm (though I'm not sure what I'd recommend more at this point - Odyssey or Origins...might come down to the theme you like more).
Odyssey = Kassandra = winning, Origins was good but Odyssey is the one
I thought that said Kassandra = whining, and I was about to write that was one of the reasons Odyssey never clicked with me. :P

Team Bayek FTW, the story in Origins was so much better.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The story of Origins (so far) seems better (and more focused) than what I've seen in Odyssey but I think I like the world better (so far) here. And yes, I'm playing as Kassandra in a melee/fighter mode. The combat still feels a little janky - like they really don't want me taking on 4+ people at once. It's frustrating because I'm expecting to feel like Geralt but instead still feel like I should be more like a creepy assassin.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The game is ridiculously fun, but I feel like I'm constantly starved for money (and I guess to a degree some of the other resources). Without them, I can't upgrade gear or my ship. So instead of focusing on the story, I'm spending most of my time on side quests or looting random areas to try and get enough coin to upgrade gear. It feels like *that* is more of the game right now than the actual story, which is frustrating me. I don't remember it being so grindy in Origins.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:13 am The game is ridiculously fun, but I feel like I'm constantly starved for money (and I guess to a degree some of the other resources). Without them, I can't upgrade gear or my ship. So instead of focusing on the story, I'm spending most of my time on side quests or looting random areas to try and get enough coin to upgrade gear. It feels like *that* is more of the game right now than the actual story, which is frustrating me. I don't remember it being so grindy in Origins.
This is one of my favorite games from the last couple of years - and i had never played an AC game before. Very much looking forward to Valhalla.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As much as I need a narrative, I'm driven by exploration. This game is absurd in the amount of areas and things to discover. There's always something over the next hill! For that reason alone, this game is a winner for me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I put over 150 hours into Odyssey last year. Then recently I picked it back up and started working on the season pass content. The amount of content in this game is insane. And I loved every minute of it. There wasn't a single moment I can think of that was a deal breaker for me when it comes to enjoyment.

As for the lack of cash, I actually prefer that as in some games it's really easy to "buy" your way to godhood. I preferred having to eke out a living that made me look forward to that day I could afford upgrading. But I can certainly understand how that would annoy folks who saw that acquisition of cash turn into so much busy work.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I stopped focusing on upgrading my gear and just started hammering out stories and quests - having an absolute blast. Money is better and instead of selling gear I'm dismantling most of them for materials - which is helping get me lots of stuff.

But yes, I think I'm closing in on 50 hours and I don't think I've revealed more than 25% of the game world map. The amount of content in this game is almost beyond comprehension. Some of of the story quests are well written. Not deep or life-changing, but they add in good humor and subvert your expectations a bit.

If the new Viking themed version of this series is going to be like this, it's going to be ridiculous.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:35 pm I stopped focusing on upgrading my gear and just started hammering out stories and quests - having an absolute blast. Money is better and instead of selling gear I'm dismantling most of them for materials - which is helping get me lots of stuff.

But yes, I think I'm closing in on 50 hours and I don't think I've revealed more than 25% of the game world map. The amount of content in this game is almost beyond comprehension. Some of of the story quests are well written. Not deep or life-changing, but they add in good humor and subvert your expectations a bit.

If the new Viking themed version of this series is going to be like this, it's going to be ridiculous.
Dammit, I just got a new wheel/pedal set and now I want to go reinstall Odyssey :doh:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Been doing lots of side quests and I think I might have borked myself from getting progress (and unlocks) on the mercenary tree. I didn't understand that I was supposed to be going after mercenaries at higher level than I am to work my way up the chain. I just assumed when I killed them it would just shift me up. However, despite killing like 20 of them, they've all apparently been at or below my current level so I'm not getting any real benefit for it - which is unfortunate as I could really use the discounts. :D

Regardless, the game is still insanely fun. I think at 65 hours I've uncovered 75% of the map, which is crazy. It's really just the high (45+) level areas to the north and NE that remain. I've said it before, but the amount of content in this game is bonkers. Bonkers!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:08 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:35 pm I stopped focusing on upgrading my gear and just started hammering out stories and quests - having an absolute blast. Money is better and instead of selling gear I'm dismantling most of them for materials - which is helping get me lots of stuff.

Dammit, I just got a new wheel/pedal set and now I want to go reinstall Odyssey :doh:
Are there chariots?