Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by LordMortis »

A Statement From Joe Walsh Regarding His Withdrawl From a Concert Event on Sunday, July 17th in Cleveland, OH

April 20, 2016 - "It was my understanding that I was playing a concert which was a non partisan event to benefit the families of American veterans on Sunday, July 17 in Cleveland. The admat I approved said this specifically. Today it was announced that this event is, in fact, a launch for the Republican National Convention. In addition, my name is to be used to raise sponsorship dollars for convention-related purposes. Therefore, I must humbly withdraw my participation in this event with apologies to any fans or veterans and their families that I might disappoint.

I am very concerned about the rampant vitriol, fear-mongering and bullying coming from the current Republican campaigns. It is both isolationist and spiteful. I cannot in good conscience endorse the Republican party in any way. I will look at doing a veteran related benefit concert later this year."

-- Joe Walsh
From FB, so link for you.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

A look at how we got here:
Trumpism may have parallels in populist, nativist movements abroad, but it is also the culmination of a proud political party’s steady descent into a deeply destructive and dysfunctional state.

While that descent has been underway for a long time, it has accelerated its pace in recent years...

...The Republicans abandoned compromise, which is essential in a democracy...

...Why then single out the Republican Party as an insurgent outlier? Newt Gingrich, first among other Republican leaders, took this polarization to a new level. He was key in the transformation of the party into a destructive and delegitimizing force in American politics (which makes his recent bonding with Trump very fitting).

From the time he came to Congress in 1979, Gingrich deployed a strategy to break the Democrats’ stranglehold on power in the House by moving to polarize the parties, to use the ethics process to taint both the majority and the entire political process, and to get Americans so disgusted with politics and politicians that at the right moment, they would rise up and throw out the incumbent party...

...Republicans attacked science and egged on conspiracy theories...

...These leaders also thought that an attack on climate change and, more broadly, evidence-based policy analysis would fuel suspicion and demonization of not just liberal politicians but the broader liberal establishment...

...Stirring up rage they couldn’t control

At first, the assault on government worked, at least electorally. Just as the Gingrich strategy brought, in 1994, the first Republican majority in the House in 40 years, the Young Guns and establishment leaders’ strategy resulted in a huge Republican majority in the House in 2010 and then a Republican majority in the Senate, and gains to solidify the House majority in 2014.

But the risks of the cynical game were becoming apparent. To the populist Tea Party voters whose anger had carried the GOP to those majorities, the promises made to them by these leaders — that Republican majorities in the House and Senate could bring Barack Obama to his knees, repeal Obamacare and Dodd-Frank, and blow up government as we knew it — were starting to appear hollow. Whether through weakness or perfidy, the Republican establishment, by stirring up the base and fomenting rage among its voters, did betray the trust given it by those voters.

At the same time, having worked to demonize the president as illegitimate and not loyal to America or American values, every subsequent compromise made by GOP leaders to keep the government open or to pass policy was by definition working with the enemy.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

538 has a look at this too:
he results of a FiveThirtyEight and SurveyMonkey poll conducted in June1 found that one of the most indicative variables in determining Republican identification this year was agreement with the statement that the “number of immigrants who come to the United States each year” should “decrease.” Trump’s campaign kicked off with a speech last June that labeled Mexican immigrants as the dregs of society — “They’re bringing crime, they’re rapists,” he said — and has hammered on the immigration issue since, adding Muslims to the dragnet of groups deemed undesirable in the United States. The election has taken on a distinctly racial tinge, and in doing so, has clarified the motivations of voters somewhat.

Trump’s strategy, while winning him the GOP nomination in the short term, has likely only served to compound the long-term demographic and ideological problems the Republican Party has long known it faces. Over the past few decades, the GOP has remained largely white, less educated and older while the numbers of minorities in the country soared, college attainment rose and the millennial generation came of age politically. Alienating the country’s growing ranks of minorities is unwise on the sheer face of the numbers, and bad reputations can stick around for years; like sports teams and baldness, our political beliefs are passed down through generations and familial connections.

What’s more, the idea of an electorate motivated more by issues of cultural grievance than by the grand ideas of conservatism is a dispiriting notion to Republicans already frustrated by the party’s particular pattern of positioning itself as ever beholden to the past.
Enlarge Image

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

From Andrew Sullivan's live-blog of the convention:
Just mulling over the events tonight, there’s one obvious stand-out. I didn’t hear any specific policy proposals to tackle clearly stated public problems. It is almost as if governing, for the Republican right, is fundamentally about an attitude, rather than about experience or practicality or reasoning. The degeneracy of conservatism – its descent into literally mindless appeals to tribalism and fear and hatred – was on full display. You might also say the same about the religious right, the members of whom have eagerly embraced a racist, a nativist, a believer in war crimes, and a lover of the tyrants that conservatism once defined itself against. Their movement long lost any claim to a serious Christian conscience. But that they would so readily embrace such an unreconstructed pagan is indeed a revelation.

If you think of the conservative movement as beginning in 1964 and climaxing in the 1990s, then the era we are now in is suffering from a cancer of the mind and the soul. That the GOP has finally found a creature that can personify these urges to purge, a man for whom the word “shameless” could have been invented, a bully and a creep, a liar and cheat, a con man and wannabe tyrant, a dedicated loather of individual liberty, and an opponent of the pricelessly important conventions of liberal democracy is perhaps a fitting end.

This is the gutter, ladies and gentlemen, and it runs into a sewer. May what’s left of conservatism be carried out to sea.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ladies and gentlemen, the party of family values...
Pimp Dennis Hof, owner of half a dozen legal brothels in Nevada and star of the HBO adult reality series "Cathouse," won a Republican primary for the state Legislature on Tuesday, ousting a three-term lawmaker.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

First, I'm pro-legalized prostitution. Second, It's legal in Nevada. That makes him a business owner and nothing more in my opinion. 3rd, running on stereotypical "family values" in Nevada has got to be hit or miss.

I know nothing about the man himself or his brothels or the women who work there. Assuming everything is on the up and up (so to speak) I'm not in the least appalled.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"We are the party of Donald J. Trump"
Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC) faltered in the primary election for his reelection Tuesday. The move came just hours after a late endorsement from President Donald Trump for Sanford’s opponent.

In her address to supporters, Katie Arrington proclaimed, "We are the party of Donald J. Trump,” tweeted Bloomberg reporter Greg Giroux. “Like I said in the beginning it isn’t a me, it is a we moment.”
Suddenly this song is running through my head...

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Omg, was that the splooge heard around the world?

I think DJT just

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

"We are the party of Donald J. Trump,”
It's offensive when I say you are the party of Trump but you can say it with pride? I guess it's time you wear it no your sleeve. (There's a certain irony that statement)

Also isn't that literally saying you are yielding your "Constitutional Republic" to Autocracy?
"As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself
"He's now president for life. President for life. No, he's great. And look, he was able to do that. I think it's great. Maybe we'll have to give that a shot some day."
Please lose. Please lose. Please lose.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:18 pm First, I'm pro-legalized prostitution. Second, It's legal in Nevada. That makes him a business owner and nothing more in my opinion. 3rd, running on stereotypical "family values" in Nevada has got to be hit or miss.

I know nothing about the man himself or his brothels or the women who work there. Assuming everything is on the up and up (so to speak) I'm not in the least appalled.
Legal != Moral

Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't know anything about working conditions in legal NV brothels, but I don't consider sex work necessarily immoral if done cleanly and without exploitation.

Regardless of what I think, though, we know what the Mike Pence wing of the party believes, and it is definitely newsworthy that this guy is a party standard-bearer.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:47 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:18 pm First, I'm pro-legalized prostitution. Second, It's legal in Nevada. That makes him a business owner and nothing more in my opinion. 3rd, running on stereotypical "family values" in Nevada has got to be hit or miss.

Legal != Moral
I don't think GreenGoo said they were equivalent.

I can see how a person running in a party that puts high value on morals might have to explain his position in this situation. But morals are subjective, so I could see how someone could say what he is doing is fine and feel good voting for him while you might think it is not and presents a moral quandry.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Legal != Moral
So you're saying Nevada has immoral laws?
stessier

Post by stessier »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Legal != Moral
I mean, you have to know the answer to that is "yes" to a certain group of people (not saying Pyperkub is one of the group).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Perhaps. At this point I'd like to hear once again the rationales for what's moral or immoral from someone with strong opinions in these areas. Things that seemed self evident when I was younger have not held up to even light scrutiny as I've gotten older.
stessier

Post by stessier »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:12 pm Perhaps. At this point I'd like to hear once again the rationales for what's moral or immoral from someone with strong opinions in these areas. Things that seemed self evident when I was younger have not held up to even light scrutiny as I've gotten older.
In my neck of the woods, religious people find many of the laws immoral. A certain group thinks drinking immoral. Many groups think abortion is immoral (at least in group settings - polling would suggest individuals might feel differently). Some groups still think working on Sunday is immoral. If you're looking for people to defend the practice of their faith, you're probably going to need to start a different thread. :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Legal != Moral
It ain't called Sin City for nothing :).

FWIW, I'm not a big fan of morality laws, to the extent that they don't protect those who need the law's protection. I do tend to believe in ethical laws, which I do see as different from morality laws.

Which inspired me:
Ethics are external standards that are provided by institutions, groups, or culture to which an individual belongs. For example, lawyers, policemen, and doctors all have to follow an ethical code laid down by their profession, regardless of their own feelings or preferences. Ethics can also be considered a social system or a framework for acceptable behavior.

Morals are also influenced by culture or society, but they are personal principles created and upheld by individuals themselves.
Also includes a handy-dandy table, which doesn't copy/pasta well...

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm I don't know anything about working conditions in legal NV brothels, but I don't consider sex work necessarily immoral if done cleanly and without exploitation.

Regardless of what I think, though, we know what the Mike Pence wing of the party believes, and it is definitely newsworthy that this guy is a party standard-bearer.
The R Party has long has three pillars: The fiscal conservatives, the military hawks, and the religious values people. I honestly don't know how it still hangs together under the Trump regime when only the hawks are ascendant. Naked tribalism, I suppose. Pence's moralist wing must believe that Trump's whoring, lying, and stealing are less evil than Democratic abortionists.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:30 pm
It ain't called Sin City for nothing :).

Las Vegas (Sin City) is in the lowest county. Reno is in the NW corner. Carson City is in that small one right below it.

Wiki
Under Nevada state law, any county with a population under 700,000, as of the last decennial census, is allowed to license brothels if it so chooses.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You want to tighten up that definition a bit? Add this to the pile:
A Republican Arizona state lawmaker is drawing attention after calling immigration an "existential threat" to the U.S.

"If we don't do something about immigration very, very soon, the demographics of our country will be irrevocably changed and we will be a very different country," state Rep. David Stringer (R) said at the Yavapai County Republican Men's Forum on Monday, according to video posted on social media.
Not illegal immigration, just regular old immigration. What's the big concern?
"It's going to change the demographic voting base of this state," he added. "And that's what's going on around the country. Immigration is politically destabilizing. President Trump has talked about this. Immigration today represents an existential threat to the United States."
This is the country we live in now - an overtly xenophobic major political party.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:49 pm
A Republican Arizona state lawmaker is drawing attention after calling immigration an "existential threat" to the U.S.

"If we don't do something about immigration very, very soon, the demographics of our country will be irrevocably changed and we will be a very different country," state Rep. David Stringer (R) said at the Yavapai County Republican Men's Forum on Monday, according to video posted on social media.
I am by no means a self loathing white man but I still say sign me up!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:49 pm You want to tighten up that definition a bit? Add this to the pile:

Not illegal immigration, just regular old immigration. What's the big concern?
"It's going to change the demographic voting base of this state," he added. "And that's what's going on around the country. Immigration is politically destabilizing. President Trump has talked about this. Immigration today represents an existential threat to the United States."
This is the country we live in now - an overtly xenophobic major political party.
We've always had this. The Irish, the Italians, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, etc. It just wasn't confined to a single party, and both parties tried to recruit immigrants in areas they immigrated to.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:56 pm

It's rather amusing that he said that at the "Yavapai" forum... just a bit of historical irony, I guess. Must be another 11 dimensional chess-player...

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:00 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:56 pm

It's rather amusing that he said that at the "Yavapai" forum... just a bit of historical irony, I guess. Must be another 11 dimensional chess-player...
I'm sure that the Yavapai have some thoughts about immigration.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pmWe've always had this. The Irish, the Italians, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, etc. It just wasn't confined to a single party, and both parties tried to recruit immigrants in areas they immigrated to.
Absolutely true. But in 2018? An elected official from a major political party stumping on it? Try to imagine hearing this in the year 2000 or even 2005, post 9/11. Yeah, fringe wing-nuts have absolutely been stating it. But the masks are apparently off now and it's surreal.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:09 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:58 pmWe've always had this. The Irish, the Italians, Puerto Ricans, Chinese, etc. It just wasn't confined to a single party, and both parties tried to recruit immigrants in areas they immigrated to.
Absolutely true. But in 2018? An elected official from a major political party stumping on it? Try to imagine hearing this in the year 2000 or even 2005, post 9/11. Yeah, fringe wing-nuts have absolutely been stating it. But the masks are apparently off now and it's surreal.
Eh, a key piece of a CA Gov Pete Wilson's ('91-'99) agenda was prop 187:
As governor, Wilson was closely associated with California Proposition 187, a 1994 ballot initiative to establish a state-run citizenship screening system and prohibit illegal immigrants from using health care, public education, and other social services in the U.S. State of California. Voters passed the proposed law as a referendum in November 1994; it was the first time that a state had passed legislation related to immigration, customarily an issue for federal policies and programs.[44] The law was challenged in a legal suit and found unconstitutional by a federal court in 1998 and never went into effect.[45]
He was a former CA Senator

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I honestly had no idea. Maybe it was only a regional thing and it's just something now that makes national news because of the nature of the internet? That's insane!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

They are re-evaluating the tax relationship of the Church and State. I think I might like it. It's a fractional gesture, but I still like it.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/ ... ees-670362
Republicans have quietly imposed a new tax on churches, synagogues and other nonprofits, a little-noticed and surprising change that could cost some groups tens of thousands of dollars.

Their recent tax-code rewrite requires churches, hospitals, colleges, orchestras and other historically tax-exempt organizations to begin paying a 21 percent tax on some types of fringe benefits they provide their employees.

That could force thousands of groups that have long had little contact with the IRS to suddenly begin filing returns and paying taxes for the first time.

Many organizations are stunned to learn of the tax — part of a broader Republican effort to strip the code of tax breaks for employee benefits like parking and meals — and say it will be a significant financial and administrative burden.
But to help defray the budgetary cost of those changes, Republicans simultaneously pared tax breaks for workers’ fringe benefits, which is projected to raise around $40 billion over the next decade.
heh
Earlier this month, Rep. Michael Conaway (R-Texas) introduced legislation to kill the tax.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Why do Republicans hate jobs and small businesses?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The Republican party is ever increasingly becoming the party of Trump.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The dark side of American Conservatism has won:
Upon closer examination, it’s obvious that the history of modern conservative is permeated with racism, extremism, conspiracy-mongering, isolationism and know-nothingism...

...In 1964, the GOP ceased to be the party of Lincoln and became the party of Southern whites. As I now look back with the clarity of hindsight, I am convinced that coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern Republican Party than all of the domestic and foreign policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts...

...Trump won by making the racist appeal, hitherto relatively subtle, obvious even to someone such as me who used to be in denial...

...The Republican Party will now be defined by Trump’s dark, divisive vision, with his depiction of Democrats as America-hating, criminal-coddling traitors, his vilification of the press as the “enemy of the people,” and his ugly invective against Mexicans and Muslims. The extremism that many Republicans of goodwill had been trying to push to the fringe of their party is now its governing ideology.
A good look at how we got here.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:39 pm A good look at how we got here.
Some of the best writing on Drumpf has been by the Never Trumpers... Max Boot, Jennifer Rubin, Rick Wilson, etc. I'm sure I disagree with them profoundly on a number of issues, but at least they are on the right side of history when it comes to Drumpf and the rule of law.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:48 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:39 pm A good look at how we got here.
Some of the best writing on Drumpf has been by the Never Trumpers... Max Boot, Jennifer Rubin, Rick Wilson, etc. I'm sure I disagree with them profoundly on a number of issues, but at least they are on the right side of history when it comes to Drumpf and the rule of law.
Yeah, but it would have been far better had they opened their eyes with W.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:11 pm Ladies and gentlemen, the party of family values...
Pimp Dennis Hof, owner of half a dozen legal brothels in Nevada and star of the HBO adult reality series "Cathouse," won a Republican primary for the state Legislature on Tuesday, ousting a three-term lawmaker.
Who gets to appoint his replacement if he wins?
Nevada brothel owner and GOP Assembly candidate Dennis Hof has died.

The Nye County Sheriff's Office confirmed Hof's death Tuesday morning at the Love Ranch in Crystal, outside of Pahrump. Detectives and deputies are conducting an investigation into his death.

Hof was 72 years old -- his birthday just this past Sunday. His cause of death is unknown at this time but he is believed to have died in his sleep.
Longtime friend and adult film star Ron Jeremy found Hof after he went to his room around 11 a.m. to wake him for a scheduled lunch at the Pahrump Senior Center.
Just Monday, Jeremy had attended Hof's birthday party and campaign rally at the Pahrump Nugget. Fox News' Tucker Carlson called into the event and former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio also made an appearance.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ballotpedia
If there is a vacancy in the Nevada State Legislature, the board of county commissioners in the county representing the seat must decide on a replacement. The board of county commissioners must select a person from the same political party that last held the seat when making its decision. If the vacancy happens before the next legislative session and an election for county officers is scheduled, no replacement is named.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If a dead man can run for office, would that mean that dead people should be allowed to vote? :think:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Some interesting theories on the 'hack' gap:
Since there are exactly two significant political parties in the United States, it’s natural to think of them as essentially mirror images of each other.

But they’re not, and one critical difference is that the Republican Party benefits from the operation of mass-market propaganda broadcasts that completely abjure the principles of journalism...

...Ditching unpopular positions in favor of popular ones is, after all, a time-honored way to win elections. But thanks to the hack gap, Republicans can count on flimflam instead.
The hack gap gives Republicans tactical flexibility

One of the more remarkable things happening in American politics right now is that after House and Senate Republicans both embraced multiple versions of Affordable Care Act legislation that would remove regulations requiring insurance companies to avoid discriminating against patients with preexisting health conditions, Republican politicians up and down the ballot are now pretending to support the Obama-era rules.

Even more remarkably, this issue is essentially nonexistent in conservative media, where the biggest issues of the day are some random protesters being mean to Mitch McConnell in a restaurant and whether or not Elizabeth Warren inappropriately claimed Native American heritage.

If Democrats began to loudly insist that they’d abandoned a longstanding progressive stance on an issue in favor of a new, more conservative one, they’d get grief about it from left-wing pundits. Then if they were really only pretending to have changed positions through a rhetorical sleight of hand, new takes would come out defending Democrats against the charge of ideological betrayal. But, of course, the defenses would undercut the original goal of portraying the party as having changed position...

...Fox, Sinclair, and much of the rest of conservative media simply do not exist to inform a conservative audience about what Republican Party politicians are up to and how it conforms to the tenets of conservative ideology or the preferences of Republican Party voters. Aware that cultural issues unite the GOP base while economic issues divide it, Fox and its cohorts fan the culture war flames while papering over — and often actively misleading about — the nature of the concrete Republican policy agenda.
What the article doesn't go into (or misses) is the feedback loop created here as well, which leads to ever more insane positions and hypocrisy.

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:09 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:11 pm Ladies and gentlemen, the party of family values...
Who gets to appoint his replacement if he wins?
Nevada brothel owner and GOP Assembly candidate Dennis Hof has died.

The Nye County Sheriff's Office confirmed Hof's death Tuesday morning at the Love Ranch in Crystal, outside of Pahrump. Detectives and deputies are conducting an investigation into his death.

Hof was 72 years old -- his birthday just this past Sunday. His cause of death is unknown at this time but he is believed to have died in his sleep.
Longtime friend and adult film star Ron Jeremy found Hof after he went to his room around 11 a.m. to wake him for a scheduled lunch at the Pahrump Senior Center.
Just Monday, Jeremy had attended Hof's birthday party and campaign rally at the Pahrump Nugget. Fox News' Tucker Carlson called into the event and former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio also made an appearance.
Winner!

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow