The Trump foreign policy thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by GreenGoo »

That's hilarious. I expect that sort of thing out of Drumpf but not his flunkies. He's incredibly ignorant. Mostly because I think it's very, very difficult to be as ignorant as drumpf is. You have to work at it. Presumably by imagining a reality that's different from the one the rest of us experience, and then firing those who don't support the drumpf reality.

At what point do you guys just say fuck it, shut the whole thing down. We'll start fresh in the morning.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Even Joffrey knew which of his enemies were dead.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

In today’s [Le Monde]⁩: When Trump received the leaders of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, he began by blaming them for the war in Yugoslavia. It took them a few moments to realise he’d mixed up the Balkans and the Baltics.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

The rest of the mistakes/stupidities are awesome too.

Chastises them for not spending enough on NATO. They are part of the countries who spend what they are supposed too.

Trellis them how bad Nord Stream 2 (pipeline bringing natural gas from Russia to Germany), none of the Baltic countries participate in its construction or management.

Says they should be nicer to Russia so that relations improve... They're the first in the line of fire if Russia ever decides to expand again.

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't know what "la plus dur" means, but it made me laugh.

"The most dur".

Thanks for the translation/expanded explanation tjg. The article is beyond my abilities.

I can suss out a few lines, like "that was not all, he criticized their blah blah blah..." but mostly I don't have the vocabulary.
Holman

Post by Holman »

link

Trump is skipping the centennial commemoration of WW1 to stay comfortable in his hotel.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

the First World War One? How many were there?

And fuck Trump. I cannot hope enough bad things for that man and I usually never hope that for anyone. Karma and all. This time Im betting on karma giving me a pass.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Now now, reasonable people believe he's a bit rough around the edges, but he's doing a good job.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Well I mean captain bonespurs can't even operate an umbrella, so there's that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm trying to imagine the howls of rage if Obama had skipped the centennial commemoration at an American military cemetery.

Does Trump get a pass on history because we all assume he has never really learned anything about it? Or are the Deplorables at the point where only Confederate monuments matter?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The way the son of a bitch acts I kinda think its best he doesn't show up for anything and embarrass this country more.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Trump's probably pretty sure that most of his supporters won't care. It's a memorial service in France, and who cares about memorializing a bunch of surrender monkeys anyway (because France always surrenders lol)? Plus, it's a memorial service for World War I, which many/most Americans, and probably a majority of Trump supporters, have no concept about. They've got vague recollections of there were trenches where people sat around a lot, there were some gas masks or something, the Red Baron, and maybe that the Germans wore those pointy helmets. The only Real War was WWII.

I'd say that they also know whatever they saw in Wonder Woman, but let's be serious, Trump's base didn't watch Wonder Woman.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:10 pm I'm trying to imagine the howls of rage if Obama had skipped the centennial commemoration at an American military cemetery.
This. These Americans gave their very lives in some of the worst fighting conditions known to man in part to defend the very ideals that are a cornerstone of the country that elected him, but 45 can't go outside in the rain to acknowledge that fact?

And military members are still behind this guy? The world is disintegrating in front of me. How do you guys stand it?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Chaz wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:30 pm I'd say that they also know whatever they saw in Wonder Woman, but let's be serious, Trump's base didn't watch Wonder Woman.
Maybe with the sound off, and their own soundtrack added. Bow chicka wow wow.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Johnn McRae wrote:If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

FWIW, here's an idea as to just how terrible, horrible, no good, very bad the weather in France actually is:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Maybe we don't want him to get wet, he might multiply.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Or maybe we do, and he melts?
geezer

Post by geezer »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:22 pm Enlarge Image

Putin is a sonofabitch but that’s a pretty strong image.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ditto.

Putin knows how to honour the dead.

The optics are insanely terrible for Drumpf, but deplorables aren't in it for the optics, and Drumpf wouldn't know honour if it came with a bucket of KFC.

Where's rip to tell us why this doesn't matter but a mild bending at the waist is the apocalypse?

Never mind, I don't want to hear it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I checked the Paris weather. They had 0.13" of rain today. (Not per hour--all day.)

The helicopter excuse is just a smoke screen. He sent surrogates by limo anyway.

I would guess that the real reason he skipped the ceremony wasn't the weather but that he is seething and panicked about impending Mueller indictments. He probably spent the day yelling at Giuliani and Whitaker and Hannity on the phone.

Edit: Here's a picture of Kelly standing in for Trump today. Note the unbearable downpour.

Last edited by Holman on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I only hope all the worrying does him in sooner than later. Better yet he kicks it and somehow falls on Pence taking him out as well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 pm
I would guess that the real reason he skipped the ceremony wasn't the weather but that he is seething and panicked about impending Mueller indictments. He probably spent the day yelling at Giuliani and Whitaker and Hannity on the phone.
He is mad at Macron for suggesting that Europe needs its own army to defend against the Russians, Chinese, and US. And he has always hated Merkel. So I would guess that he was just pouting. He only went to France because he thought his boss Vlad would be there.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 pm I would guess that the real reason he skipped the ceremony wasn't the weather but that he is seething and panicked about impending Mueller indictments. He probably spent the day yelling at Giuliani and Whitaker and Hannity on the phone.
I don't believe it for a second, but man do I want to.

He's going to be remembered as the president who diminished America's place in the world.

Assuming he's more than a footnote, I guess.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He may be around 6 more years to do harm and forever ruin the US and its government.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Same helicopter.

But this must be FAKE NEWS because the real POTUS never holds an umbrella over anyone but himself. Weak!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Not to be a stick in the mud, but there is a big difference between walking from a vehicle to a building versus standing in the rain for a ceremony.

I mean, Drumpf is a douche nozzle, but this isn't a real comparison.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Melted snowflake.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:39 pm Not to be a stick in the mud, but there is a big difference between walking from a vehicle to a building versus standing in the rain for a ceremony.

I mean, Drumpf is a douche nozzle, but this isn't a real comparison.
True.

In that video clip Obama went out in actual rain, knew how to operate an umbrella, and used it to keep people other than just himself somewhat dry.

Trump went into hiding from fake rain, discards umbrellas rather than attempting to close them, and doesn't share his umbrellas with anyone else, even his wife and child.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Who needs a comparison? Plenty of other people (including major world leaders) managed to go out in the rain and participate in the ceremony.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman's point seems to be that the helicopter can safely operate rainy weather. The excuse given for Trump bailing on the ceremony was that the helicopter couldn't fly in the allegedly inclement weather, not that Trump was too frail to be out in the "rain".

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:08 am Holman's point seems to be that the helicopter can safely operate rainy weather. The excuse given for Trump bailing on the ceremony was that the helicopter couldn't fly in the allegedly inclement weather, not that Trump was too frail to be out in the "rain".
Maybe the additional weight needs to be taken into consideration.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:08 am Holman's point seems to be that the helicopter can safely operate rainy weather. The excuse given for Trump bailing on the ceremony was that the helicopter couldn't fly in the allegedly inclement weather, not that Trump was too frail to be out in the "rain".
Perhaps. But considering every other picture in the thread mocking drumpf because of his allergies to rain don't contain a helicopter of any type, that's not exactly clear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:27 am
Perhaps. But considering every other picture in the thread mocking drumpf because of his allergies to rain don't contain a helicopter of any type, that's not exactly clear.
Well, in addition to his reference to "Same helicopter" for that tweet, he previously posted:
Holman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:16 pm I checked the Paris weather. They had 0.13" of rain today. (Not per hour--all day.)

The helicopter excuse is just a smoke screen. He sent surrogates by limo anyway.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Awesome. There were 5 other images posted with zero helicopters in them, including your own.

Given the internet is vomiting rain themed memes like it's pledge week at Delta Tau Chi, most of which don't contain helicopters in any form, and the WH statement doesn't mention helicopters, I'm not even sure where the helicopter references are originating from. I could go find out, but...I don't want to bother.
The President and First Lady’s trip to Ainse-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial has been canceled due to scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather,” the White House said in a statement
But it's totally super that you knew that Holman's video was about the helicopter that's visible in the background for about 1/2 of it, while I assumed it was about the camera's focal point, Obama and his relationship with rain because of the sheer number of non-helicopter rain-related references pouring out of the internet right now.

Thanks for the assist.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, I also had the advantage of having read a CBC article that threw some shade at Trump over the official reason given for the cancellation.

Light rains keep Trump from WW I memorial in France
U.S. President Donald Trump could not attend a commemoration in France for American soldiers and marines killed during the First World War on Saturday because rain made it impossible to arrange transport, the White House said.

The last-minute cancellation prompted widespread criticism on social media and from some officials in Britain and the United States that Trump had "dishonoured" U.S. military personnel.

The president was scheduled to pay tribute at a ceremony at the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery in Belleau, about 85 kilometres east of Paris, with his wife, Melania. But light steady rain and a low cloud ceiling prevented his helicopter from travelling to the site.

"[Their attendance] has been cancelled due to scheduling and logistical difficulties caused by the weather," the White House said in a statement, adding that a delegation led by Chief of Staff John Kelly, a retired general, went instead.
It's totally normal that it was impossible to arrange for the president to travel to the ceremony using the same transport laid on for his chief of staff. Given his tight schedule, it probably would have cut into his executive time.

Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:19 am
Given the internet is vomiting rain themed memes like it's pledge week at Delta Tau Chi, most of which don't contain helicopters in any form, and the WH statement doesn't mention helicopters, I'm not even sure where the helicopter references are originating from. I could go find out, but...I don't want to bother.
I have identified the problem!

:wink:

Seriously, all the coverage from the AP on down mentioned that the official reason for skipping the celebration was that the helicopter was grounded by (apparently a rather light amount of) rain.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

In theory, I could see a situation where there were security concerns about flying the helicopter with very low clouds. The thinking could be that the decreased visibility might make it too hard to identify threats, and that the risk wasn't worth taking when flying to a strictly ceremonial event where the potential risk of attack is higher because of how many world leaders were gathered in one place. If there was a more dire need to fly, they may have been more willing to accept the risk.

THAT SAID, I find it really hard to believe that they didn't have a ground transport option available. The Secret Service has been doing this a long time, they know how to deal with weather, and would have had a backup plan. Further, I'm pretty sure if the President had insisted, they would have made it happen. Security may have been a consideration in him skipping, but the real reason is probably that he just didn't want to go.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds