Whatcha drinking?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Whatcha drinking?

Post by Kraken »

I've already bought three 12-packs of Celebration, but haven't drunk any of them yet. I'm still going through the surplus of my favorite fall beer, Harpoon Flannel Friday. I like to stock up as much as I can afford on seasonals that come and go quickly. If my packie doesn't run out (as they often do), I'll have a few cases of Celebration put away by the time my Harpoon is gone.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 am
mori wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:27 pm Had my first Brut IPA today.. A nice dry quality although not being especially effervescent. Really brings out the bitter hoppy qualities out of the beer.
I'm having my second right now, a somewhat disappointing offering from Pipeworks (Brutal Doodz Brut IPA). I had tried one from a small local brewery (Hopewell) a couple of weeks ago and rather liked it, so the jury is still out for me on the style generally. The first one was flavorful, but this one is a bit bland.
I've now tried two brut IPAs: Sparkler from Sixpoint and Brutylicious from Half Moon Bay Brewing Company.

The Sparkler was excellent -- dry and crisp, but still very much an IPA, with plenty of hoppy character. The Brutylicious was somewhat disappointing in comparison -- thin and lightweight.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:16 pm I've already bought three 12-packs of Celebration, but haven't drunk any of them yet. I'm still going through the surplus of my favorite fall beer, Harpoon Flannel Friday. I like to stock up as much as I can afford on seasonals that come and go quickly. If my packie doesn't run out (as they often do), I'll have a few cases of Celebration put away by the time my Harpoon is gone.
Last year, Celebration was well stocked through the Super Bowl. I went with a 12 pack last week (still some left); Fistmas is also on sale so I'll grab some of that next. Probably bring a 12 of Celebration to the host house for Football and Turkey Day (along with a couple of turkeys).
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Special days call for special beer!
2017 Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine Ale

I've been sitting on this for one for a year, waiting for it to age a little. Sweet, smooth, deep flavor with a little fig/raisin, and a hint of the bourbon barrel aging...really nice barleywine and pretty easy to drink despite the 14.4% ABV. I can't say it's as good as the 2017 Bourbon County Stout, but that may just be because barleywine isn't one of my preferred styles. It's still damn good though!

I also got word this morning that my local store just got the 2018 Bourbon County offerings in store, so I'll be picking up the new ones tomorrow! Image
mori

Post by mori »

Black Friday is the national release of Goose Island Bourbon County line of beers. Some stores chose to ignore this date.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

We went to the Yardhouse here a week or so ago, and the featured beers were Founders Barrel Aged beers. I would have liked to try one but of the five offered the lowest alcohol for any one beer was 11.1%. The other four were all over 11.7%. I was driving. So I just had a couple lower alcohol local IPA's.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Anchor 2018 Xmas Ale. Anchor does a different recipe each year for their Xmas ale, I've probably tried most of them over the 44 years they've been dong this. Some years I missed the boat as they tend to sell out quickly. One year, I bought a giant bottle of the stuff, but wound up in the Philippines and had my brother bring it to the NYE party a friend hosted.

This year its pretty unremarkable. I can't determine what spice(s) are being used, but it seems earthy. The beer has a lot in common with a black IPA that I reviewed last week, Greenbush Anger, but the Greenbush beer is about $1 per bottle cheaper and has 0.7% more booze.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA. An IPA brewed with maple syrup. Rather unremarkable IPA as the maple syrup just added some sweetness but little flavor. Old school East Coast hopping is the predominate flavor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not drinking it but thought you guys might be interested.

Montgomery Scott Scotch
Aye, laddie, Scotty would drink to this: Silver Screen Bottling Co. has just announced that Montgomery Scott Scotch will join James T. Kirk Bourbon, James T. Kirk Bourbon Reserve and Ten-Forward Vodka as part of the line of Star Trek branded spirits they've launched this year.

The blended scotch whisky -- and, yes, the Scots spell it without the "e" -- is available for pre-sale starting today, priced at $49.99, at www.MontgomeryScottScotch.com. Shipping will begin in March 2019.
Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Sierra Nevada are brewing a Camp Fire relief special edition beer called Resilience IPA with 100% of proceeds going to relief efforts. 1200 other breweries have agreed to brew it as well. I think it'd be fun to go a tap takeover that was nothing but different breweries' Resilience IPA.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm Sierra Nevada are brewing a Camp Fire relief special edition beer called Resilience IPA with 100% of proceeds going to relief efforts. 1200 other breweries have agreed to brew it as well. I think it'd be fun to go a tap takeover that was nothing but different breweries' Resilience IPA.
There are, as of now, two breweries in town that are doing this. One being Founder's but the other is a smaller place that is probably my favorite so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the recipe.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm Sierra Nevada are brewing a Camp Fire relief special edition beer called Resilience IPA with 100% of proceeds going to relief efforts. 1200 other breweries have agreed to brew it as well. I think it'd be fun to go a tap takeover that was nothing but different breweries' Resilience IPA.
I am sure you are aware that Sierra Nevada is based in Chico, which was threatened by the fire early on. I will look for this when it comes out.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:08 pm
I am sure you are aware that Sierra Nevada is based in Chico, which was threatened by the fire early on. I will look for this when it comes out.
I think some of their employees even lost houses. This looks like it could be a pretty huge fundraiser.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:18 pm
Scuzz wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:08 pm
I think some of their employees even lost houses. This looks like it could be a pretty huge fundraiser.
I read at least 10% of their employees were displaced.

At one point the brewery was threatened.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had no idea this beer is no longer being produced; it's been in my beer cellar for quite few years. Sadly, it was the last one.

At 9% ABV, I guess it's a good breakfast beer for JeffV? I wouldn't say it's a style I gravitate towards (clearly, it's been sitting in my cellar for 4+ years), but I did enjoy it. RIP Green Flash Grand Cru.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Whatcha drinking?

Post by Isgrimnur »

Found this buried in the back of the fridge. Not bad, but I won’t regret that it’s the only one.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And now Diet 7-Up with lemonade vodka.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:58 pm Image

Found this buried in the back of the fridge. Not bad, but I won’t regret that it’s the only one.
I have tried it in past years and didn't really think much of it.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You know they change the recipe every year, right?
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 am You know they change the recipe every year, right?
You mentioned that above. I am pretty sure I have had it at least two seasons.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

It's just not liking it one year does not preclude not liking it another year. They've had some great ones in the past, 2018 is not one of them.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Vanilla Bitch Slap by Pig Minds Brewery, Machesney Park, IL. With a name like that, how could I pass? It was on tap at Rosati's and I had 45 minutes to kill. I'm used to vanilla-flavored stouts and porters, but this is a red ale. First sip the vanilla does bitch slap you, then you get used to it. 8.0% ABV isn't bad for a flavored beer.
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:19 pm I had no idea this beer is no longer being produced; it's been in my beer cellar for quite few years. Sadly, it was the last one.

At 9% ABV, I guess it's a good breakfast beer for JeffV? I wouldn't say it's a style I gravitate towards (clearly, it's been sitting in my cellar for 4+ years), but I did enjoy it. RIP Green Flash Grand Cru.
I believe they just renamed the beer and put it in more expensive large format bottles. Green Flash is one of those breweries that I am not sad to see leave my local market since their distribution reduction and market consolidation.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

$2 off DYO six packs!

Dogfishhead 61 - I've not been a fan of their grape-infused concoctions before, but this is a bright, drinkable beer. 6.5% ABV.

Bell's Xmas Ale - A Scotch ale, there is no reason this has to be relegated to seasonal duty. At 7.5% ABV, it's on the light end of the Scotch Ale spectrum, but it's a fine effort.

Deschute's Xmas Ale - Nicely balanced spiced ale. 6.5% ABV, I could drink more of this.

Fistmas from Revolution Brewing - A perennial favorite, I think I'm tiring of it. Or they are not making it as well as the past. Anyway, I'm six and done this year.

4 Hands Chocolate Milk Stout. Do people make chocolate milk with very bitter dark chocolate? This is less sweet than I was expecting (I was expecting
something in the Boulder Shake vein). At $7 per 6, I have 5 more cans to drink. It's not bad as is, but I think it will make a fine addition to my chili.

Sam Adams Holiday Porter. Another fine beer that really doesn't need to be limited to the holidays. IMO, Porters are making a comeback after a time when it seemed everyone was poisoning them with vile smoke flavor. This one is only 5.4%, so get it for the designated drivers at your holiday party.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Darker Than Your Soul by Saugatuck Brewing Co. It's like they don't even know who they are selling to! If I had a soul, it would certainly be black hole dark. This is opaque though. It claims to be a stout but drinks like a dark lager. At least they deftly took it off the fire before scorching the malt. 6.5% ABV is better than many pedestrian stouts but give me a good imperial any day.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. Nearly the same gravity as the Saugatuck beer, this is better classified. Not bad, not overly sweet. Less potent than Swiss Miss at a mere 5.8% ABV but won't feel compelled to add marshmallows.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Enlarge Image
Cold, it's a bit maltier and stoutier than I like this style. But I expect to grow into it as it warms.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
mori

Post by mori »

As an old Gone Gold member, this brought a chuckle. Have not had it yet and not sure I want to since it has that vile Citra hop.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

[imhttps://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2 ... rc&uact=8g][/img]

Belching Beaver Deftones Phantom Bride IPA

Sold in a 6 pack of 16oz cans. Pretty good.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sleeping Dog Tail Chaser IPA, Tempe, AZ. A non descript IPA that's quite drinkable, if not memorable. The epitome of average, down to the middling 6.5% ABV.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:18 pm Enlarge Image

Belching Beaver Deftones Phantom Bride IPA

Sold in a 6 pack of 16oz cans. Pretty good.
FTFY
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Thanks. I played with it for a few times and finally just gave up.

Everyone can just get off my lawn. :)
Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Almost perfect beer for Minnesota winters. A touch of smoke from Beechwood smoked malt and a bit of juniper encaptures winter in the cold north.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Beam Me Up Stouty by Saugatuck Brewing, Michigan. Billed as a coconut stout, the pun in the name isn't the biggest joke...that would be the 4.7% ABV. The flavor is fine, though.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Enlarge Image

and

Enlarge Image

Both really good, but I was hoping the Old Pulteney would be more briney than it is.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

'Tis the season...

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Picked up a Deschutes variety 12-pack for the rental house. Everything except the pale ale has been decent.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:25 am Picked up a Deschutes variety 12-pack for the rental house. Everything except the pale ale has been decent.
Is the pale ale the Mirror Pond?

I have liked that in the past, but to be honest most pale ales nowadays just have no flavor.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grades FINALLY all done and all that's left is the the whining from the grade grubbers. There's not much left, but it's drinking time:

Enlarge Image

I really should try to secure another bottle before they all disappear.
The Master of Malt wrote:This Octomore is surprisingly coastal with waves of stormy sea water crashing into cliffs of peat and turf. Beneath this smoulder ember sof coal and burning heather. The palate entertains a distinct fruitiness, reminiscent of citrus and tropical fruits before a finish of Icelandic ash clouds concludes this monumental dram.
Exactly what I was thinking!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:48 pm Grades FINALLY all done and all that's left is the the whining from the grade grubbers. There's not much left, but it's drinking time:

Enlarge Image

I really should try to secure another bottle before they all disappear.
The Master of Malt wrote:This Octomore is surprisingly coastal with waves of stormy sea water crashing into cliffs of peat and turf. Beneath this smoulder ember sof coal and burning heather. The palate entertains a distinct fruitiness, reminiscent of citrus and tropical fruits before a finish of Icelandic ash clouds concludes this monumental dram.
Exactly what I was thinking!
That description sounds awesome, but with that phenol count :shock: I'm sure I couldn't drink it. And the price, ouch.

edit- The more I think about it, the more dumbfounded I am. They call their Port Charlotte heavily peated at 40ppm.