The MidTerm Elections thread (2018)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Archinerd

Re: The MidTerm Elections thread (2018)

Post by Archinerd »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:55 am
Archinerd wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:50 am It's his way of becoming neighbors with ALL of his constituents.
I still fail to see the problem. Rich people own real estate. And multiple homes. Is he only allowed to own property in Illinois? What's innately wrong with buying property in Florida?

Or maybe the problem is that he plans to actually live out of state while governing it?

That can't be true.

Can it?

That's a huge PR problem in my eyes (and potentially logistically too), so maybe that's the part I was missing? Is his real name Mayor Quimby?
You're reading too much into my comment, it was just an off hand joke.

I actually don't have a problem with him owning multiple houses. He's super rich, of course he does.
I don't want to speak for Lawbeef, but I believe all he's saying is that this undermines his attempt to relate to the average person.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:22 am You're reading too much into my comment, it was just an off hand joke.
Not really, I was trying to use what you said along with what Lawbeef said to come up with something that made sense for myself.

Lawbeef obviously doesn't like the guy, and has said as much previous to this, and that is totally fine. Sometimes even innocuous things are seen in a negative light if our "enemies" are doing them. I don't know if that's what's happening here or if I'm missing something.

As for being relatable to the average working stiff, El Guapo points out that they knew what they were voting for when they elected him.

He probably owns a stable of race horses too, and his kids are unhappy because the pony they got this year is not the right color to complete their pony collection.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:16 am

Edit: Read the article. Talk about burying the lede. The attempt to evade property taxes seems pretty important compared to the wealth bashing.
The tax evasion shenanigans was known. J.B. still won by a lot because the incumbent (Bruce Rauner(R)) was widely disliked and had his own controversy involving Veterans dying from Legionnaires disease.
Rauner is also super rich, just not as rich.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:16 am

Edit: Read the article. Talk about burying the lede. The attempt to evade property taxes seems pretty important compared to the wealth bashing.
The tax evasion shenanigans was known.
Exactly. Even I knew this because Lawbeef had posted about it previously. Don't get me wrong, it's a complete tax evasion scam and worthy of mockery and/or criticism and fines. But it's not new information that somehow makes buying a huge property in Florida a problem, let alone a big problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

To be fair, it would probably be better if Illinois weren't just going from one super rich asshole to a super rich asshole of the other party - like, maybe mix it up by merely going with a pretty rich doctor or lawyer, say. But that's what they went with.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

In exciting election / legal news:

Federal Judge Delays Certification of Georgia Election Results. At least until Friday.

Rep. Poliquin (R incumbent in ME-2) has sued to block ranked choice vote counting. Poliquin is narrowly ahead of the Democratic challenger (Golden), with two other candidates having received votes who both indicated that Golden was their second choice. So, odds are that the ranked choice voting process will put Golden ahead. Poliquin's suit seems frivolous, but who knows these days.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:45 am To be fair, it would probably be better if Illinois weren't just going from one super rich asshole to a super rich asshole of the other party - like, maybe mix it up by merely going with a pretty rich doctor or lawyer, say. But that's what they went with.
As long as our Governors don't go directly to prison after leaving office we're doing all right.

.. or alright. Not sure which it is.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:45 am To be fair, it would probably be better if Illinois weren't just going from one super rich asshole to a super rich asshole of the other party - like, maybe mix it up by merely going with a pretty rich doctor or lawyer, say. But that's what they went with.
Archinerd beat me to it... Rich asshole would be a major improvement over Illinois' usual choices of 'corrupt criminal' and 'super-corrupt criminal'.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 am In exciting election / legal news:

Federal Judge Delays Certification of Georgia Election Results. At least until Friday.

Rep. Poliquin (R incumbent in ME-2) has sued to block ranked choice vote counting. Poliquin is narrowly ahead of the Democratic challenger (Golden), with two other candidates having received votes who both indicated that Golden was their second choice. So, odds are that the ranked choice voting process will put Golden ahead. Poliquin's suit seems frivolous, but who knows these days.
As much as I see the GA election and think OMG, that can't happen!, can the Fed step in and do that?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:12 pm ... of 'corrupt criminal' and 'super-corrupt criminal'.
I read this and hear "You're a strange animal, that's what I know".

I think I'm losing my mind. This is a separate event from my ideas in my self indulgent other post.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 am
Archinerd wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:22 am You're reading too much into my comment, it was just an off hand joke.
Not really, I was trying to use what you said along with what Lawbeef said to come up with something that made sense for myself.

Lawbeef obviously doesn't like the guy, and has said as much previous to this, and that is totally fine. Sometimes even innocuous things are seen in a negative light if our "enemies" are doing them. I don't know if that's what's happening here or if I'm missing something.

As for being relatable to the average working stiff, El Guapo points out that they knew what they were voting for when they elected him.

He probably owns a stable of race horses too, and his kids are unhappy because the pony they got this year is not the right color to complete their pony collection.
It's not that I dislike him. I dislike the idea of an elite plutocratic, kleptocratic ruling class and that's exactly what we keep getting.

I don't even begrudge him his family's wealth. They've don't a ton of good. I especially respect Jennifer and Penny is a bonafide policy expert.

The idea of just spending $171M to get a governorship over a bankrupt state and then celebrating by buying a $12M ranch, well, like I said. Our elite plutocratic overlords.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, he's going to need some concrete resources in order to post bond.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:20 pm

It's not that I dislike him. I dislike the idea of an elite plutocratic, kleptocratic ruling class and that's exactly what we keep getting.

I don't even begrudge him his family's wealth. They've don't a ton of good. I especially respect Jennifer and Penny is a bonafide policy expert.

The idea of just spending $171M to get a governorship over a bankrupt state and then celebrating by buying a $12M ranch, well, like I said. Our elite plutocratic overlords.
I don't disagree about plutocracy. Or the obscene amount spent on the election. But don't you think you are buying into the articles premise a bit though? They closed 2 days after the election. That sounds to me to be coincidental timing. I have to imagine buying a property of that value requires months of prep time. Inspections, insurance evaluations, appraisals, etc. I can't imagine they timed this as a celebration barring something super odd a contingency like 'If I lose the election I can cancel this contract'. :lol:
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Wait... there was an election? Who won?
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I actually get that and it comes through in your communication, I just didn't express it properly. Well, except for the kleptocratic part. I didn't know that and I didn't see that in your posts. The plutocratic part, yes.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Fireball wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm Wait... there was an election? Who won?
Russia.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fireball wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:32 pm Wait... there was an election? Who won?
The Michigan Electorate as far as I'm concerned and for the first time in my poor memory. I know there had to be other times but I can't think of any.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:29 pm

I don't disagree about plutocracy. Or the obscene amount spent on the election. But don't you think you are buying into the articles premise a bit though? They closed 2 days after the election. That sounds to me to be coincidental timing. I have to imagine buying a property of that value requires months of prep time. Inspections, insurance evaluations, appraisals, etc. I can't imagine they timed this as a celebration barring something super odd a contingency like 'If I lose the election I can cancel this contract'. :lol:

Going to guess that he was running for governor longer than the property was under contract. They could always pick a different closing date, knowing the date of the election. It's not like he'd be without a place to stay. Or even store 50 horses.

At the very least it's total tone deafness.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:49 am In exciting election / legal news:

And a federal (activist) judge ruled that the State of GA violated the Civil Rights Act by rejecting absentee ballots.
May's order said Gwinnett County is hereby “enjoined from rejecting absentee ballots containing an error or omission relating to the absentee voter's year of birth” and has been ordered to count such ballots in this year’s midterm elections.

She noted that although the decision arrives in the midst of “many hotly contested and highly publicized elections issues across the State,” the relief granted by the order finds the “narrow set of ballots” should be counted.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Defiant wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:32 pm
Mississippi senator, whose runoff opponent is black, jokes about 'public hanging'
"If he invited me to a public hanging, I'd be on the front row," Hyde-Smith said during a campaign stop in Tupelo, Mississippi. The man she was referring to was identified as a local rancher.
Mississippi has a difficult racial history that includes 581 lynchings from 1882 to 1968, the most of any state in that period, according to the NAACP.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... ng-n935006
The governor defends her...

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Florida
Election officials in a Florida county battered by Hurricane Michael last month allowed about 150 displaced voters to cast ballots by email, even though it's not allowed under state law.

The Miami Herald reports that Bay County Supervisor of Elections Mark Andersen defended that decision Monday.

Andersen told the newspaper that parts of the county remained shut off by law enforcement, preventing people from reaching their homes. The displaced voters were allowed to scan and email their ballots to the elections office. Andersen said all the ballots were verified by signature.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 pm As long as our Governors don't go directly to prison after leaving office we're doing all right.
Wait wait wait....you are suggesting our ex-governors be allowed to roam free? :shock: Won't you think of the children!
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Wasn't sure where to put this, but since it was regarding McConnell's op-ed response to the midterms...

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When the time comes, I truly hope he's first against the wall.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

Newt Gingrich murdered American politics.

Mitch McConnell just stuck around to fuck the corpse.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So this is kind of crazy:

Spoiler:
Susan Collins is now the *only* Republican member of Congress across New England.
:shock:
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:39 pm So this is kind of crazy:

Spoiler:
Susan Collins is now the *only* Republican member of Congress across New England.
:shock:
Yeah, this is because Jared Golden (D) won ME-02 through the first ranked choice voting process (after finishing narrowly behind him in the full four candidate vote). The Republican incumbent (Poliquin) filed suit claiming that the ranked choice voting was unconstitutional; his request for an injunction was denied this morning, allowing the ranked choice voting tabulation to be conducted (which put Golden ahead, as expected). Though Poliquin is still claiming victory and vowing to keep his legal challenges going.

So good news, although it's not like I would be completely shocked if the SCOTUS took this opportunity to declare ranked choice voting unconstitutional.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:54 pm So good news, although it's not like I would be completely shocked if the SCOTUS took this opportunity to declare ranked choice voting unconstitutional.
Wouldn't be shocked either but I would wonder if they'd go narrow and say that the seat belongs to Maine and decide that the Maine Constitution's plurality vote provisions would prevail.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Interesting GOP gerrymandering fact. Ohio almost certainly would have swung some seats towards the Democratic had gerrymandering not been *massive* there.

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

The machine recount in Broward county found an additional 779 more votes for Rick Scott than it did for Bill Nelson so they purposely turned those results in two minutes late to prevent those additional votes from counting. ROTFLMAO :pop:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/browar ... -2-minutes
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Friggin' Republicans are shipping in out of state voters who show up, vote, then head out to the parking lot to put on costumes in order to vote again without anyone being the wiser. So far, Captain Crunch, a Smurf, and two of the three Musketeers have voted for Scott this week.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yes, I'm sure it was all a nefarious plot by the evil Democrats to deny those votes, and not simply inept bureaucrats doing inept bureaucrat things.

Side note: the fact that a person's vote (on either side) can be entirely disqualified because some random election official didn't press the "send" button in time is fucking insanity.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The irony in all of the Republican charges of Broward county malfeasance is that Broward county incompetent ballot design is likely responsible for Scott being the next Senator from Florida.

Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Every time I think of Florida, I think of that Crosby, Stills, & Nash lyric from "Southern Cross":

And we never failed to fail....it was the easiest thing to do
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:47 am inept bureaucrats doing inept bureaucrat things.
Huh, somebody at octopus overlords giving credence to the argument for smaller government? It can't be? :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

em2nough2 wrote:Huh, somebody at octopus overlords giving credence to the argument for smaller government?
I'm all for smaller government. I just wish Republicans were.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:14 pm
em2nough2 wrote:Huh, somebody at octopus overlords giving credence to the argument for smaller government?
The main problem with the "smaller government" folks is that they mostly mean "cut the things that do not directly help ME" rather than eliminate true waste. I'm not for government ignoring the people though, or worse, actively working to harm them (as the Rep party currently does).
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:14 pm
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Remus West wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 pm The main problem with the "smaller government" folks is that they mostly mean "cut the things that do not directly help ME" rather than eliminate true waste.
So, so, so much THIS
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:31 pm
Remus West wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:19 pm The main problem with the "smaller government" folks is that they mostly mean "cut the things that do not directly help ME" rather than eliminate true waste.
So, so, so much THIS
Nobody wants to pay for somebody else to have civilization it appears. But frankly, many in this mode don't appear to agree with even paying for their own civilized accoutrements. Infrastructure, education, environmental protection and the like especially get short-thrifted.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell