Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

Re: Random randomness

Post by Z-Corn »

OK, so buy a whole chicken for CA $6 or $7 and roast it yourself.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was getting my wife some vanilla ice cream to make herself a coke float and wanted a bite of ice cream. So I grabbed the spoon from my chicken bowl. I love Worcestershire sause on chicken and there was some on the spoon I didn't notice until I got my bite of ice cream. You know what? It tasted pretty dang good. Am I the only weird one here?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yes. Yes you are.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I figured...but I had to ask.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know what Dyson this is? Its in my town for $25 and says it works good. My old ancient Dirt Devil sucks and not in a good way. Im thinking $25 for a working Dyson is well spent. Aren't they like $600?

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never mind gotta buy something for the car.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:09 pm Anyone know what Dyson this is? Its in my town for $25 and says it works good. My old ancient Dirt Devil sucks and not in a good way. Im thinking $25 for a working Dyson is well spent. Aren't they like $600?
It looks like a DC07 to me.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Got some kind of frozen precip out there. Looks like crushed ice.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Made my go to of Knorr chicken flavored pasta. But this time I wanted it different and tossed in some soy sauce after cooking not knowing if it would ruin it or not. It made it much better. Great new flavor combo for me.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Z-Corn wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:33 pm OK, so buy a whole chicken for CA $6 or $7 and roast it yourself.
Sure, but that's not the discussion. I can also buy dark meat for cheaper. Or I can forgo chicken completely and eat nothing but hotdogs. I thought I headed off this kind of thought by saying quite strongly that these prices were not the best available. In fact that was my entire point from the get-go. We spend more than is necessary for things, because reasons/rationalizations.

It was never about how I can spend less on groceries.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:57 pm
Cooked whole chickens: $13.33/Kg ($6.05/lb)

With the listed price being $11.99/chicken.
Holy crap. $11.99 for a rotisserie chicken at a grocer? In US dollars in SE Michigan we still call them "$5 chickens" because that is what they were for the longest time. Nowadays, I think CostCo and Walmart are the only places that list rotisserie chickens at $5. Every where else is $6 with sales every other week for $5 and once a twice a year for $4.

The price for a rotisserie chicken and whole uncooked chicken are usually about the same so I always just buy the rotisserie and part it out in things. I rarely have the need to cook my own and keep the insides.
Currently the "sale" price:

Boneless/skin on chicken breast: $9.90/Kg ($4.49/lb)
Whole chicken: $4.39/Kg ($1.99/lb)
Boneless and Skinless chicken breast this week is $1.79 a pound marked down from $2.49 a pound.

Though I also had not idea the CAD fell so much in value. I have no idea how that reflects in you food prices. Our meat prices are have been fairly stable since coming out of the other end of the housing shitter, maybe since 2012? Shortly after 2008, meat, dairy, eggs, etc... all went up 50% but they have come back down to pre 2008 levels. (Except Pork which came down but never found the same bottom)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:37 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:09 pm Anyone know what Dyson this is? Its in my town for $25 and says it works good. My old ancient Dirt Devil sucks and not in a good way. Im thinking $25 for a working Dyson is well spent. Aren't they like $600?
It looks like a DC07 to me.
Thank you. So not as great a deal as I thought at first.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Still a good deal. Should be another zero plus for a new.
words
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Trent Steel wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:12 pm Pickle cake.

My daughter asked me what two foods would not got together. And now I have a new band name.
You have a band name, I have a new recipe idea.

Edit: scratch that. Don't even have to create a recipe! The real question, what kind of pickles to use?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:11 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:33 pm OK, so buy a whole chicken for CA $6 or $7 and roast it yourself.
Sure, but that's not the discussion. I can also buy dark meat for cheaper. Or I can forgo chicken completely and eat nothing but hotdogs. I thought I headed off this kind of thought by saying quite strongly that these prices were not the best available. In fact that was my entire point from the get-go. We spend more than is necessary for things, because reasons/rationalizations.

It was never about how I can spend less on groceries.
I just like to hear you bitch. It's funny.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The real question, what kind of pickles to use?
Bread n Butter
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:35 pm A sensible discussion on food prices...
They just opened up a Gordon Foods Outlet near me, it's one of their new "urban" concepts.

So I can get a whole pork butt for like $1.29/lb (and I mean a whole butt, like 14 lbs.) or a packer cut of brisket for like $50. BUT the biggest draw is $4.99 rotisserie chickens and $4.99 half-gallons of fresh-squeezed orange juice.

Great loss leaders.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm
The real question, what kind of pickles to use?
Bread n Butter
I think Daehawk makes some terrible life-choices with regards to food but he is spot on in this case.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:11 pm I just like to hear you bitch. It's funny.
That warms my heart. A lot of my complaining are just pet peeves. Other peoples' pet peeves ARE funny.

:wub:
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Our local store has cooked rotisserie chicken (whole) for $5. On sale Wednesdays for $3.
Of course they are kinda small.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:35 pm Holy crap. $11.99 for a rotisserie chicken at a grocer? In US dollars in SE Michigan we still call them "$5 chickens" because that is what they were for the longest time. Nowadays, I think CostCo and Walmart are the only places that list rotisserie chickens at $5. Every where else is $6 with sales every other week for $5 and once a twice a year for $4.
Thanks to this post and google, I now know that Costco rotisserie chickens are almost twice the size of grocery store chickens (3 lbs vs 1.5-2lbs), that they have not raised prices since 2009, and that costco is selling them at below cost at this point, and are happy to do it.

Unfortunately I could not for the life of me find out how much a Canadian costco is selling them for today. I did find a reddit post where Toronto was selling them for $8.50 and Montreal for $6.99, two years ago. Edit: For the geographically challenged (of which I am one, re: American geography), those are the two major cities on either side of mine. One is 4-5 hrs west, the other is 1-2 hr east. Depends on how fast you like to drive :wink:

We do have a costco membership. We don't use it much lately, despite using it plenty for the first few years.

I could have saved a lot of confusion by simply saying that we pay sticker price for chicken breasts. Not just sticker price, but often when the sticker price is higher than usual.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:32 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:11 pm I just like to hear you bitch. It's funny.
That warms my heart. A lot of my complaining are just pet peeves. Other peoples' pet peeves ARE funny.

:wub:
I just hope you don't get too worked up buddy. Remember, all this bullshit is temporary.

And it's never too late to learn how to roast a chicken. Might even make you feel better!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:47 pm I just hope you don't get too worked up buddy. Remember, all this bullshit is temporary.

And it's never too late to learn how to roast a chicken. Might even make you feel better!
Hah!

I'm good. I know I can get irate, but I'm perfectly calm/happy today.

I absolutely should be more involved in the kitchen, and it almost certainly would make me feel better. So I agree.

I'm not going to do so of course. That would be absurd.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:17 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:35 pm A sensible discussion on food prices...
They just opened up a Gordon Foods Outlet near me, it's one of their new "urban" concepts.

So I can get a whole pork butt for like $1.29/lb (and I mean a whole butt, like 14 lbs.) or a packer cut of brisket for like $50. BUT the biggest draw is $4.99 rotisserie chickens and $4.99 half-gallons of fresh-squeezed orange juice.

Great loss leaders.
I like the concept of GFS but as one person who likes what he likes I don't personally have much use for them.
I now know that Costco rotisserie chickens are almost twice the size of grocery store chickens
I did not know that to be a fact but Costco chickens always seemed larger. I have no membership any more and I can't warrant one. See my note on GFS. :(
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 pm I did not know that to be a fact but Costco chickens always seemed larger. I have no membership any more and I can't warrant one. See my note on GFS. :(
Some article, maybe NYT, or maybe businessinsider commenting on a NYT article said it was true. Therefore it's true. QED.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Aren't rotisserie chickens those that have reached their sell-by date? They aren't loss leaders so much as loss prevention.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bleach is a strange item. I like to keep a small glass of it in my bathroom for the toilet at times. Its all well and good until it gets down to a small bit left in the cup. Like a 1/2" worth. Until then its fine and stable. But once that little is left it evaporates overnight and the rest turns into crystals. They climb to the top of the glass I keep it in. If I add a little warm water all is good again and I can use it up.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

I watched Rocky and Rocky II over the weekend.

I’m now having one of the best weeks of working out that I’ve had in a long time.

Just sayin’.
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You chasing a chicken around the Pain Dome? Because I might be up for that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:30 am You chasing a chicken around the Pain Dome? Because I might be up for that.
I wish. Just watching these scenes were enough to jack up my adrenaline for the week apparently.

18-1™ & 2-0
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Woman uses her body as the canvas. Not dirty.

https://bemethis.com/using-her-own-body ... ign=buffer

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ram those balls down the hose, boys! - Donald Duck.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

:cry: Dropped my Galaxy S6 today. Despite a case AND a screen protector, the screen's smashed. It still works, but there's a starburst pattern in the middle.

I checked how much I am paying... turns out I do have Asurion insurance, but the deductible is $150, which is worth a new phone in itself. I can BUY an S6 on Swapper for like $100. Sheesh.

So I went ahead and bought an S6 on Swappa. No, I don't need an upgrade "yet". I have too many accessories I need to keep using.

As the phone still works, I'll make a backup, then just restore on to the new phone. No fuss, no muss. Hopefully I get it within a week. *sigh* Another unanticipated expense.

At least my credit card is nearly paid off.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 am :cry: Dropped my Galaxy S6 today. Despite a case AND a screen protector, the screen's smashed. It still works, but there's a starburst pattern in the middle.

I checked how much I am paying... turns out I do have Asurion insurance, but the deductible is $150, which is worth a new phone in itself. I can BUY an S6 on Swapper for like $100. Sheesh.
I've replaced a couple of cell screens and it's not overly complex. A little stressful to get all the tiny bits back in place, but the GoogleTubes showed me how. Took almost an hour, but I could see where I could get it down to 20 or 30 minutes with practice. The screens by themselves are usually less than $100.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am checking my local Batteries Plus to see how much they charge. I can't do without my phone for more than an hour, and I need my phone for work every day. For today, I am using it with a cracked (but working) screen. I should have the other phone by Monday. Then I'll go see about replacing the screen on this one.

EDIT: Seems I only cracked the front "glass lens", and replacement part is less than $20 on Amazon. Hmmm...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:02 pm Remember that great feel-good story last winter where the homeless guy gave a lady his last $20 so she could buy gas, and she responded by setting up a GoFundMe that raised over $400,000 for him? Surprising exactly no one, this has not ended well.
Oh what a tangled web we weave...
A Burlington County couple and the homeless vet for whom they launched a fundraising campaign will all face charges for supposedly making up the viral sob story in order to scam money, NBC reported Wednesday night.

The couple, Mark D'Amico and Kate McClure, of Florence, and the homeless man, Johnny Bobbitt, will face charges that include conspiracy and theft by deception after they allegedly fabricated the story to raise over $400,000 through an ultra-successful GoFundMe campaign, the report stated.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Prior to stumbling onto this NPR story, I had no idea that end-to-end refrigeration is the price we pay for superficially clean chicken eggs.
Go in search of eggs in most foreign countries and you might encounter a strange scene: eggs on a shelf or out in the open air, nowhere near a refrigerator.

Shock and confusion may ensue. What are they doing there? And are they safe to eat?

We Americans, along with the Japanese, Australians and Scandinavians, tend to be squeamish about our chicken eggs, so we bathe them and then have to refrigerate them.

But we're oddballs. Most other countries don't mind letting unwashed eggs sit next to bread or onions.

The difference boils down to two key things: how to go after bacteria that could contaminate them, and how much energy we're willing to use in the name of safe eggs.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 am So I went ahead and bought an S6 on Swappa. No, I don't need an upgrade "yet". I have too many accessories I need to keep using.
Turns out I didn't. My order somehow, on Paypal, did NOT go through. And the seller gave me 8 hours, then cancelled my order. *sigh*

My replacement front lens should arrive on Friday, barring any delays. It's supposed to be a full toolkit, complete with lessons. Wish me luck.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:21 am Prior to stumbling onto this NPR story, I had no idea that end-to-end refrigeration is the price we pay for superficially clean chicken eggs.
Go in search of eggs in most foreign countries and you might encounter a strange scene: eggs on a shelf or out in the open air, nowhere near a refrigerator.

Shock and confusion may ensue. What are they doing there? And are they safe to eat?

We Americans, along with the Japanese, Australians and Scandinavians, tend to be squeamish about our chicken eggs, so we bathe them and then have to refrigerate them.

But we're oddballs. Most other countries don't mind letting unwashed eggs sit next to bread or onions.

The difference boils down to two key things: how to go after bacteria that could contaminate them, and how much energy we're willing to use in the name of safe eggs.
I had read about that recently and found it interesting. It's not really fair to say that the eggs are "superfically" clean, though. The approach works well to keeping things uncontaminated:
They're different approaches to basically achieve the same result," says Vincent Guyonnet, a poultry veterinarian and scientific adviser to the International Egg Commission. "We don't have massive [food safety] issues on either side of the Atlantic. Both methods seem to work."
Plus, there are benefits to the constant refrigeration approach:
Another perk of consistent refrigeration is shelf life: It jumps from about 21 days to almost 50 days.
So they get actually clean (not just superficially) with an extended shelf life, but at a trade off of higher energy usage.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had a raw egg in my milkshake last night and Im still alive.