[Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Isgrimnur

Re: [Kindle] Daily e-book deals of note

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 am All three books of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive can be purchased for $8.97 (or $2.99 each).

From reading around, there are 10 total books planned, with the first five and second five each having their own story arcs. These first three seem to be very highly regarded.
And Amazon will discount the bundle if you already have some of it.

Book 4 is due out in 2020 or later.
My current projection is that I’ll spend half of my time writing Stormlight, and half of it doing other things. (I spoke last year about just how big an undertaking a Stormlight book is–and why I can’t write them back to back.) I realize that many of you would prefer to have only Stormlight, but that would drive me insane–and drive the series into the ground.

I think this is a realistic schedule. So, I’m giving myself 2018 to work on Skyward (hopefully a trilogy) and other projects. Then on January 1st, 2019, I go back to Stormlight refreshed and excited to be back in Roshar, and I write on book four until it’s done. (With a 2020 or 2021 release, depending on how the writing goes.) I do hope to find time for a novella, like Edgedancer, that we can put out between books. This one is tentatively called Wandersail.

For those who don’t know, the Stormlight Archive is a ten-book series composed of two five-book arcs.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:45 am All three books of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive can be purchased for $8.97 (or $2.99 each).

From reading around, there are 10 total books planned, with the first five and second five each having their own story arcs. These first three seem to be very highly regarded.
Expected by his enemies to die the miserable death of a military slave, Kaladin survived to be given command of the royal bodyguards, a controversial first for a low-status "darkeyes." Now he must protect the king and Dalinar from every common peril as well as the distinctly uncommon threat of the Assassin, all while secretly struggling to master remarkable new powers that are somehow linked to his honorspren, Syl.

The Assassin, Szeth, is active again, murdering rulers all over the world of Roshar, using his baffling powers to thwart every bodyguard and elude all pursuers. Among his prime targets is Highprince Dalinar, widely considered the power behind the Alethi throne. His leading role in the war would seem reason enough, but the Assassin's master has much deeper motives.

Brilliant but troubled Shallan strives along a parallel path. Despite being broken in ways she refuses to acknowledge, she bears a terrible burden: to somehow prevent the return of the legendary Voidbringers and the civilization-ending Desolation that will follow. The secrets she needs can be found at the Shattered Plains, but just arriving there proves more difficult than she could have imagined.

Meanwhile, at the heart of the Shattered Plains, the Parshendi are making an epochal decision. Hard pressed by years of Alethi attacks, their numbers ever shrinking, they are convinced by their war leader, Eshonai, to risk everything on a desperate gamble with the very supernatural forces they once fled. The possible consequences for Parshendi and humans alike, indeed, for Roshar itself, are as dangerous as they are incalculable.
I've really enjoyed these - about as close as I get to day one purchases...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I had the first one too. They're really good about recoginzing what you've ordered already and adjusting accordingly. It's like...they want you to buy more. :D
Book 4 is due out in 2020.
Then there's half a chance I'll be done with these three when it's released!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:52 am Yeah, I had the first one too. They're really good about recoginzing what you've ordered already and adjusting accordingly. It's like...they want you to buy more. :D
Book 4 is due out in 2020.
Then there's half a chance I'll be done with these three when it's released!
Edited above. 2020 at the earliest.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:53 am Edited above. 2020 at the earliest.
Note Brandon Sanderson is *not* Martin when it comes to timelines and he never will be. Yes, he has slowed down a little but he is not afraid to finish things. I am still working my way through the third book. It's not that I am not loving it now that I have gotten my brain back into the world, it's just that I have too many other things going on and the weather hasn't been cooperating for lunch time outdoor reading time (though today is just about perfect).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah Sanderson's delays aren't because he has writer's block or is taking his time. It's because he's working on 6 other novels. :D
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He keeps his WIP up on his blog. His website currently shows:
Skyward final proofread -100 %
Legion: The Many Lives of Stephen Leeds release -100 %
Secret Project second draft - 100 %
Skyward 2 second draft - 100 %

And that was in September.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Amazon First Reads are posted. This one looks interesting.

Seahawks star running back Curt Warner and his wife, Ana, were prominent figures in Seattle in the early 1990s. When they dropped from the public eye after Curt’s retirement, everyone assumed it was for a simpler life. But the reality behind their seclusion was a secret they hid from even their closest friends: their twins, Austin and Christian, had been diagnosed with severe autism. What followed was a painful struggle to hold their family and their marriage together in a home filled with chaos, emotional exhaustion, and constant fear for the safety of their unpredictable but beloved boys.

Now, after years of silence, the Warners share their inspiring journey from stardom and success to heartbreaking self-imposed isolation. Above all, it’s a story of the life-changing truth that love for family and each other—no matter how challenged—is the path to healing and peace.

The Warner Boys is the true story of a family who fought for their children and how they grew stronger against all odds.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kings of the Wyld is $2.99 today:
Clay Cooper and his band were once the best of the best, the most feared and renowned crew of mercenaries this side of the Heartwyld.

Their glory days long past, the mercs have grown apart and grown old, fat, drunk, or a combination of the three. Then an ex-bandmate turns up at Clay's door with a plea for help--the kind of mission that only the very brave or the very stupid would sign up for.
Haven't read it, but it's been on my wishlist for over a year now. Award-winning and seems to be very highly regarded.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:58 am Kings of the Wyld is $2.99 today:
Clay Cooper and his band were once the best of the best, the most feared and renowned crew of mercenaries this side of the Heartwyld.

Their glory days long past, the mercs have grown apart and grown old, fat, drunk, or a combination of the three. Then an ex-bandmate turns up at Clay's door with a plea for help--the kind of mission that only the very brave or the very stupid would sign up for.
Haven't read it, but it's been on my wishlist for over a year now. Award-winning and seems to be very highly regarded.
Yep. It's on my list.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jag wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Yep. It's on my list.
The author must be super embarrassed about misspelling "wild", though. And right on the cover of his book!
Black Lives Matter.
Jag

Post by Jag »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:28 pm
Jag wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Yep. It's on my list.
The author must be super embarrassed about misspelling "wild", though. And right on the cover of his book!
I heard he got really myd.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have all three of these books in hard copy (ask your parents), but thought I should share that the first book of the Sovereign Stone trilogy by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman is on sale for $1.99, I think for the month of November. I remember reading them all when they were released and enjoying it. Not as much as the Death Gate cycle or the original Dragonlance trilogy, but still good.

Regardless, as I've come to observe, this also probably means that at some point over the next few months, books 2 and 3 will also be on sale for the same price. I'll be watching...
The founding parents of the game-tie-in fantasy novel here launch a role-playing-game-related high fantasy trilogy in which game knowledge is irrelevant to reader enjoyment. This is a classic tale of the rivalry of two half-brothers, the sons of King Tamaros of Vinnengael: the virtuous elder Helmos and the frustrated and ambitious young Dagnarus. Along the way, Dagnarus wins the friendship and loyalty of his whipping boy, Gareth, who in due course trains as a mage and adept in forbidden Void magic, dangerous to the user but deadly to the user's enemies. Shortly after King Tamaros believes that he has made peace among the four races (human, dwarves, elves and orken), Dagnarus and Gareth together begin to undo all the king's work, unleashing a war of all against all made even worse by the lethal Void magic and the rivalries of potentates, particularly human and elven. This is a story assembled from archetypical elements, all at least slightly touched with originality. Dagnarus is a thug but also a heroic soldier, and his elven lover prefers to become one of the Void-spawned undead Vrykyl rather than be parted from him. Elven political institutions irresistibly recall the Tokugawa era of Japan.The dwarves are not metal-working troglodytes but horse archers, living light and traveling fast. Weis and Hickman (Dragons of a Fallen Son, etc.) are still not much more than good plain cooks as stylists, but here they are writing at an entirely respectable level. (Sept.)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Man Who Fell to Earth is a $1.99 deal today:
The Man Who Fell to Earth tells the story of Thomas Jerome Newton, an alien disguised as a human who comes to Earth on a mission to save his people. Devastated by nuclear war, his home planet, Anthea, is no longer habitable. Newton lands in Kentucky and starts patenting Anthean technology—amassing the fortune he needs to build a spaceship that will bring the last three hundred Anthean survivors to Earth.

But instead of the help he seeks, he finds only self-destruction, sinking into alcoholism and abandoning his spaceship, in this poignant story about the human condition by the acclaimed author of Mockingbird.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That plot sounds fantastic. Original.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:27 pm The Man Who Fell to Earth is a $1.99 deal today:
The Man Who Fell to Earth tells the story of Thomas Jerome Newton, an alien disguised as a human who comes to Earth on a mission to save his people. Devastated by nuclear war, his home planet, Anthea, is no longer habitable. Newton lands in Kentucky and starts patenting Anthean technology—amassing the fortune he needs to build a spaceship that will bring the last three hundred Anthean survivors to Earth.

But instead of the help he seeks, he finds only self-destruction, sinking into alcoholism and abandoning his spaceship, in this poignant story about the human condition by the acclaimed author of Mockingbird.
So it's an Elon Musk autobiography.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

This one looks good. While I am in the midst of my ~two year re-read of the Wheel of Time I am not buying any new books because I don't want to be a book hoarder like I've become a borderline game hoarder. Having said that, I am adding books in this thread to a Wishlist I've created so I can easily track down books I want to read when I come out the other side. Thanks for the suggestions!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Forever War is a great book!

Today, Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan is a $1.99 deal:
In Cosmos, the late astronomer Carl Sagan cast his gaze over the magnificent mystery of the Universe and made it accessible to millions of people around the world. Now in this stunning sequel, Carl Sagan completes his revolutionary journey through space and time.

Future generations will look back on our epoch as the time when the human race finally broke into a radically new frontier--space. In Pale Blue Dot Sagan traces the spellbinding history of our launch into the cosmos and assesses the future that looms before us as we move out into our own solar system and on to distant galaxies beyond. The exploration and eventual settlement of other worlds is neither a fantasy nor luxury, insists Sagan, but rather a necessary condition for the survival of the human race.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Signal and the Noise by Nate Silver is $1.99 today.

Been meaning to read that for awhile, so I picked it up.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Heard of it, but I'm not really a sci-fi reader. Today the two book series, Forge of God and Anvil of the Stars are on sale for $1.99 each. I believe they were both written in the late 1980s.
On July 26, Arthur Gordon learns that Europa, the sixth moon of Jupiter, has disappeared. Not hiding, not turned black, but gone.

On September 28th, Edward Shaw finds an error in the geological records of Death Valley. A cinder cone was left off the map. Could it be new? Or, stranger yet, could it be artificial? The answer may be lying beside it—a dying Guest who brings devastating news for Edward and for Planet Earth.

As more unexplained phenomena spring up around the globe—a granite mountain appearing in Australia, sounds emanating from the earth’s core, flashes of light among the asteroids—it becomes clear to some that the end is approaching, and there is nothing we can do.

In The Forge of God, award-winning author Greg Bear describes the final days of the world on both a massive, scientific scale and in the everyday, emotional context of individual human lives. Facing the destruction of all they know, some people turn to God, others to their families, and a few turn to saviors promising escape from a planet being torn apart. Will they make it in time? And who gets left behind to experience the last moments of beauty and chaos on earth?

Nominated for the Nebula, Hugo, and Locus Awards, The Forge of God is an engrossing read, breathtaking in its scope and in its detail.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

December First Reads are out. My choice:

Enlarge Image
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Moat_Man wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:03 am Image

I loved this series and read the cover off the first book. I haven't read the fourth book as it was published some time after the "trilogy" was complete. I'm looking forward to catching up with the characters.
Dave Duncan passed away at the end of October. :(
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

$1.99

Highly recommended historical fiction for when AZ was a Territory.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

$2.99

Enlarge Image

$1.99

First sentence:
"It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured."

Highly recommended.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Wooo two books I will never read! I think I read two first reads ever. I keep picking them, but can't be bothered to read them. Maybe Kasey Chang can read them for me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My problem is that when Amazon puts a few history books on it's daily $1.99 sale, I usually already own a physical copy of the ones I want :(. But I end up buying them anyway :roll:. In my defense, I have already filled a couple of rooms with books and according to my wife I'm not allowed to get rid of a couch in the living room just so I can start putting shelves in there :|. I'm using the excuse that some day I'll get rid of my physical copies... some day :snooty:

Regarding Coop's comment about having books you won't have time to read, I recently sent my wife a link to a great article, Why you should surround yourself with more books than you’ll ever have time to read. It's a pretty short article, but pretty interesting.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
stessier

Post by stessier »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:51 am Regarding Coop's comment about having books you won't have time to read, I recently sent my wife a link to a great article, Why you should surround yourself with more books than you’ll ever have time to read.
Link saved and added to my backlog!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

:D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I finally had to break myself of the habit of buying something just because it was free or heavily discounted. Once I start a book I feel compelled to finish it, which is how I wasted hours on a WW2 romance novel I got suckered into from these First Reads. Never again.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:51 am I'm using the excuse that some day I'll get rid of my physical copies... some day :snooty:
A few years ago, I listed all of mine on Amazon. Some sold at a nice profit, but lately sales have been rare at best. If I have to move again, I'm pretty sure most will just go into the fire pit.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I donated almost my entire collection to my library. I think it was 700 books (hardcovers and paperbacks). I kept WoT, Harry Potter, and half a dozen random biographies. It was very liberating.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:42 pm I finally had to break myself of the habit of buying something just because it was free or heavily discounted. Once I start a book I feel compelled to finish it, which is how I wasted hours on a WW2 romance novel I got suckered into from these First Reads. Never again.
Has it worked for games?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Pyperkub wrote:Has it worked for games?
Well, considering I only bought 3 Steam games during the holiday sale......kinda? :D