[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jaskerr

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by jaskerr »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 am I'm Sepiche on BethSoft, feel free to add me. Probably won't be on a lot until next week, but always good to have more like minded folks in game!
Added you, I'm KBear33
morlac

Post by morlac »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 am
morlac wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:48 pm Looks like they're sold out....custom made only had qty 1 ...tell that kid sorry.
Well, those are what they look like, supposedly. Toy/collectible story nearby is supposed to have the same basic product. We'll see.

Birthday party is tomorrow, and my son only mentioned it today, so no time to look for alternate options.

Related, my wife and I love the birthday kid. Really great kid and we love that our son is hanging out with him. Parents are pretty great as well.

Separately, my son is a jackass.
Mine should be arriving later this week :). I have a spot picked out on my collectible shelf. They will go at the feet of my motorcycle spare parts Bubba Fett figurine because I like to mix universes. I'll take and post a picture when they get here but my Bubba Fett loos like this one but mine is standing up, is a darker grey and slightly different parts.
https://www.shoppingzoneplus.com/alien- ... l-art.html

edit to add: Ah crap this is out now? I'm so gonna buy it... and probably not play it...Dammit.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Now, not only have I never been killed by another player, but I was fighting on top of a building when a ghoul blindsided me and knocked me off the roof, killing me. I was about to give up and respawn to camp, when all of a sudden a couple of other players showed up and rescued me (and my load of aluminum). :D
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Bad news: I got my first mutation. Good news: it has a chance of hitting anyone that melees me with electrical damage. :D

Really enjoying the game. Been playing it a bit the last couple of days with my wife. I think the only thing that's a little annoying currently is the loot limit. You can't really build additional storage as pretty much all storage devices you can craft just link to your secure personal stash, but the issue is that the stash has a weight limit of 400, and now that I've built up loads of crafting materials, and started saving up some powered armor pieces for when I hit 25, I'm down to pretty much no room. That and the merchants seem to be jointly limited in how many caps they have per days, so selling down my surplus only goes so far. I ended up just taking a bunch of my steel and wood supply and leaving it in a pile outside vault 76 for a newbie to find.

The good news is they've acknowledged the issue and are looking at ways to expand inventory now.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm constantly bumping into the inventory limit for both my personal inventory and my camp stash. I had started collecting power armor pieces, but I dumped them to free up the space and have decided to leave power armor as an end-game project for the time being. I need to condition myself to be more selective about looting. You can never have too much adhesive, for example, but steel and wood are easy enough to come by that I can probably afford to cut down on my stockpiles.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just grabbed this on Xbox One. Between this and Red Dead Redemption 2, I've broken my vow not to pay full price for new games and wait for sales instead. Dagnabit! :shock:
Covfefe!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:40 am I'm constantly bumping into the inventory limit for both my personal inventory and my camp stash. I had started collecting power armor pieces, but I dumped them to free up the space and have decided to leave power armor as an end-game project for the time being. I need to condition myself to be more selective about looting. You can never have too much adhesive, for example, but steel and wood are easy enough to come by that I can probably afford to cut down on my stockpiles.
Yeah, it's made me much more selective about what I loot for now. With powered armor, since T-45 armor can be worn at 25, I've been collecting it, and should have close to a full suit once I get the few more levels I need to hit 25, but since the T-60 armor isn't wearable until around 40, I've been scrapping those as they give a nice assortment of aluminum and circuits.

One nice thing is I built my camp next to a prison inhabited by super mutants which gives me some good hunting grounds when I need some resources, but it also has a building that sometimes contains powered armor, so I can stroll up there and get fusion cores and armor at will pretty much.

One tip for new players: even if you find some fancy new guns out in the wastes, consider keeping a well upgraded pipe rifle around for a while. All the better guns take aluminum to repair and, at least early on, that can be hard to come by. The pipe rifle will both save you aluminum from repairs, and also use up some of the massive pile of .38 ammo you'll collect. That said, my goto gun for a big stretch of the game so far has been an upgraded hunting rifle. They do excellent damage per bullet which makes your .308 ammo go really far. They only really suffer at close range where I'll usually switch to a shotgun.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Wow... some of the reviews of this are absolutely BRUTAL.
-mf
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:55 pm Wow... some of the reviews of this are absolutely BRUTAL.
If you like Fallout games and can tolerate other humans occasionally being around: it's fantastic.

Honestly I think some of the bad reviews are keeping the troll legions away, so no complaints from me. The FO76 community has been amazingly well mannered IMHO so far.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And crap. Now I remember whey I don't buy games on release usually. :x

I really hope the bad reviews are just sour grapes from old school fans who resent this move to online by Bethesda.
Covfefe!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:25 pm And crap. Now I remember whey I don't buy games on release usually. :x

I really hope the bad reviews are just sour grapes from old school fans who resent this move to online by Bethesda.
It's really the old FO1/2 vs. FO3 argument all over again IMO. FO76 isn't a pureblood because it has other people in it and it's online.

If you ever loaded up one of the modern Fallout games, picked a direction, and just set off exploring and had a grand time: you will like Fallout 76.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:11 pm
hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:25 pm And crap. Now I remember whey I don't buy games on release usually. :x

It's really the old FO1/2 vs. FO3 argument all over again IMO. FO76 isn't a pureblood because it has other people in it and it's online.

If you ever loaded up one of the modern Fallout games, picked a direction, and just set off exploring and had a grand time: you will like Fallout 76.
So... this is the one that pushed me to come here and make that comment, although there were others as well. Now, it's from the B.E.T.A. so perhaps some of this has been addressed but I'm wondering what the folks here who are actually playing the official release now think of what he has to say.
-mf
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:53 pm So... this is the one that pushed me to come here and make that comment, although there were others as well. Now, it's from the B.E.T.A. so perhaps some of this has been addressed but I'm wondering what the folks here who are actually playing the official release now think of what he has to say.
I'll give it a listen when I get home.

From the comments, it sounds like he got bored of the beta and, if you are someone who didn't enjoy the open world and exploration parts of Fallout, I think that makes sense.

The thing I keep hammering though: this isn't a massively different game from Fallout 3 & 4... it has the same type of mechanic changes as we saw between Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 (different VATS, different leveling/perk system, better sound system, etc.), and of course the multiplayer aspects, but if you've played and enjoyed Fallout 3/4, especially the exploration: you will like this.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant afford it so no worries from me on whether its good or not. Ive got games on my wish list from 6-7 years ago still. Far Cry 5 at $35 is beyond me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
morlac

Post by morlac »

Sepiche wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Dammit! That's exactly what I do in every Fallout game. Hmm Xbox or PC?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

About two hours in and I can kind of agree with the negative review video posted here. The game does feel kind of...well...empty. It’s more like Elder Scrolls Online than I expected, I guess. However, I still haven’t started crafting or building a camp, so it may pick up.
Covfefe!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:53 pm So... this is the one that pushed me to come here and make that comment, although there were others as well. Now, it's from the B.E.T.A. so perhaps some of this has been addressed but I'm wondering what the folks here who are actually playing the official release now think of what he has to say.
After watching a good portion of that: the bugs he was showing there I haven't seen, so likely just from being in the early beta. There are still bugs here and there, but they are small and unexceptional in my experience.

To the larger points: it really sounds to me like he was a story guy. FO76 feels empty to him because it lacks the central pillar of a real main story, and that's definitely true. If the story and seeing it through to the end was your main draw in previous Fallouts, FO76 might not be for you. The main quest in FO76 really amounts to a way of leading you to all the different regions and seeing the big sites.

For me with previous Fallouts though, the story is fine, but it was the existing in and exploring the wastelands and seeing new sites that were the main draws, and I think FO76 delivers on that mark as well or better than previous Fallouts. There is a massive, interesting world filled with (side) quests, locations, events, etc, to explore, it just lacks a more personal narrative like previous Fallouts.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

I don't have the time to commit to a Fallout game the way I normally do so I'm holding off for another month or two, but still not sure of some things. How exactly do servers work? How many people per server and how many are typically playing at any given time? Because of settlements am I right to assume your server won't change? And what happens if you're still playing in a month and 90% of the people that were on that server aren't playing anymore, which is likely the case?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 pm I don't have the time to commit to a Fallout game the way I normally do so I'm holding off for another month or two, but still not sure of some things. How exactly do servers work? How many people per server and how many are typically playing at any given time? Because of settlements am I right to assume your server won't change? And what happens if you're still playing in a month and 90% of the people that were on that server aren't playing anymore, which is likely the case?
The servers are supposed to have two or three dozen players each (I haven't counted). As far as I know, players are dynamically loaded onto servers when they launch the game, with no guarantee that they will see the same set of random players from one session to the next. I believe there is a mechanism in place so that you can play on the same server as people on your friends list though.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

I am still taking a wait and see approach on this one (and hope that it won't be an entire year until I can host my own server for kids and friends) but one of my concerns is that it is similar to Elder Scrolls Online which we tried and didn't like at all for two primary reasons:

(1) the ridiculous re-spawn rate of enemies (e.g. you could hardly clear a room let alone an entire dungeon without enemies res-pawning and attacking)

(2) the artificial limits on storage/carry weight so that they could sell you additional space (e.g. micro transactions).

From what I am hearing it looks like (2) is present but they might modify it (lets hope its not micro transactions). How about (1) - can you truly "clear" a point of interest/dungeon before enemies start to re-spawn? I understand it might need to reset for multiplayer purposes at some point, but I hope its more in the vein of 7 Days to Die/Empyrion where it occurs in days/weeks not hours (or minutes!).
Last edited by Tampa_Gamer on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I haven’t played the game, but one of the complaints from the video review above is that enemies respawn stupidly fast.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Ah well. I've played every Fallout game before this and in spite of putting literally hundreds of hours into the modern incarnations, this one is still a big bag of "nope" for me. I'm all about the story and don't really play multi-anything so FWIW that's a big factor for me. So sad. :(
-mf
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jaskerr wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm
Sepiche wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 am I'm Sepiche on BethSoft, feel free to add me. Probably won't be on a lot until next week, but always good to have more like minded folks in game!
Added you, I'm KBear33
coopasonic here. I sent you both requests.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I need to get a headset for this one, I guess. I'm just playing solo to start until I get a feel for the game/get enough time for an extended session, and I feel badly about folks asking me to join up, and not being able to apologize and let them know why I'm ignoring them. :oops:
Covfefe!
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

hepcat wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am I need to get a headset for this one, I guess. I'm just playing solo to start until I get a feel for the game/get enough time for an extended session, and I feel badly about folks asking me to join up, and not being able to apologize and let them know why I'm ignoring them. :oops:
Just use the Vault Boy emote for "I genuinely appreciate your interest in grouping with me, but at the moment my preference is to remain a solitary adventurer. I do wish you best with your own travels, and hope that this will not sour our future relations."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've just been communicating with well timed hip thrusts. Much like I do in real life.
Covfefe!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 pm I don't have the time to commit to a Fallout game the way I normally do so I'm holding off for another month or two, but still not sure of some things. How exactly do servers work? How many people per server and how many are typically playing at any given time? Because of settlements am I right to assume your server won't change? And what happens if you're still playing in a month and 90% of the people that were on that server aren't playing anymore, which is likely the case?
So, when you start, you log in and pick your character and then hit play. Optionally from the main screen you can group up with others, and once everyone has hit play it will launch you all in together. When you hit play it finds a server with enough open slots and you load into it. The max server population is around 20, and those people are spread out over an area roughly 4 times the size of the map in Fallout 4.

If you log out back to the main screen, you can hit play again, and that will find another server and load up on there, so if you happen to hop on a server that's for some reason filled with trolls, you can just leave and find another server.
(1) the ridiculous re-spawn rate of enemies (e.g. you could hardly clear a room let alone an entire dungeon without enemies res-pawning and attacking)
They do respawn *relatively* quickly, but I've probably cleared over a hundred locations, and only once or twice, and specifically when I was taking an extra long time exploring or trying to figure out a puzzle, did I have a location respawn on me. I've never had trouble running away from trouble in this as long as you're not encumbered or anything.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am So, when you start, you log in and pick your character and then hit play. Optionally from the main screen you can group up with others, and once everyone has hit play it will launch you all in together. When you hit play it finds a server with enough open slots and you load into it. The max server population is around 20, and those people are spread out over an area roughly 4 times the size of the map in Fallout 4.
Do you and your friends spawn in together, and can you build together, or are you just all playing alone in different corners of the same map?

Sepiche wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:23 am They do respawn *relatively* quickly, but I've probably cleared over a hundred locations, and only once or twice, and specifically when I was taking an extra long time exploring or trying to figure out a puzzle, did I have a location respawn on me. I've never had trouble running away from trouble in this as long as you're not encumbered or anything.
That sounds like every MMO I've ever played. The general philosophy is that if there's something you need to kill, someone else does, too. The respawn is so that one person doesn't mow down an entire area and effectively deny playing the game to others.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 pm Do you and your friends spawn in together, and can you build together, or are you just all playing alone in different corners of the same map?
IIRC you spawn in a party, but where your individual characters logged out the last time. However, you can fast travel to other party members and their camps for free, so getting together and keeping together is relatively easy.

You are free to build your camp pretty much anywhere and, while you couldn't cooperatively build a single structure with other players, you could certainly build your camps near enough to each other that they would seem like pieces of a larger camp.

There are also workshops that, if I understand correctly, are intended to be claimed by larger groups and you can cooperatively build in those areas when you capture them, but I haven't learned all the details of that system yet.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:18 pm There are also workshops that, if I understand correctly, are intended to be claimed by larger groups and you can cooperatively build in those areas when you capture them, but I haven't learned all the details of that system yet.
In order to claim a workshop, you first need to clear out all the hostile mobs at the site. Once you've claimed it, you can build there. There will be several fixed spots where you can build resource harvesters of various types that will gather the appropriate resource over time and store it until you collect it. Once someone controls a workshop, there will be period events where waves of mobs attack the player-built structures, so you'll also likely want to build some defenses (turrets, traps, barricades, etc) to protect your structures. You cede control of the workshop when you log out.

For a while, I had my camp set up adjacent to a workshop so I was able to log on, take control of the site and build harvesters/defenses, then head off exploring/adventuring. Once an attack started, I could fast travel back to my camp and then head into the workshop site to handle the situation and collect the mission reward for successfully defending the site. I believe the automatic defenses can defeat the attack, but if you're not present it is treated as a failed mission and you don't receive a reward. The attacks seem to be treated as an event, so anyone in the area will be notified and can join in and receive a reward for defending the site.

Apparently there is also a PvP aspect to workshop control, but I haven't seen how that plays out yet.

Brian

Post by Brian »

There are also workshops that, if I understand correctly, are intended to be claimed by larger groups and you can cooperatively build in those areas when you capture them, but I haven't learned all the details of that system yet.
During the BETA I claimed a workshop at a junkyard which then spawned a "Protect The Workshop" mission. It gave me a few minutes to build some turrets and then sent several waves of dogs to attack the workshop. They were no match for the turrets and I successfully completed the defend mission.

Around then the BETA timer ran out so I logged off. The next time I returned to the BETA it spawned me at the junkyard but it was now controlled by another player.

No biggie as I wasn't planning on sticking around the area. On my way out of the junkyard though I decided to open a locked tool chest to grab some loot. I don't know if the game warned me but as soon as I picked the lock (remember, this locked tool chest is still inside the territory claimed by the other player) the game immediately placed a bounty on my character and declared me a wanted criminal. I logged off and haven't been back since.

So, keep that in mind if you find yourself in territory claimed by others.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Brian wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 pm On my way out of the junkyard though I decided to open a locked tool chest to grab some loot. I don't know if the game warned me but as soon as I picked the lock (remember, this locked tool chest is still inside the territory claimed by the other player) the game immediately placed a bounty on my character and declared me a wanted criminal.
That might explain the handful of times I've seen people running around with (very small) bounties. I had been assuming that they were murderers, but maybe they were just petty thieves. :lol:

Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I'm really tempted by what I'm seeing here, but I have a few questions regarding camps.

1. Are they permanent structures, a la FO4's cities, or is it a temporary construct?

2. How do you know you didn't build a camp at the exact same place as someone else? For example, say I build a camp in a hidden spot right next to a river, and Billy Joe from Minnesota does, too. The next time we both log in, we're shoveled into the same server. Are our camps parked on top of each other? Or is this a completely baseless fear?

3. If camps are temporary, are there materials you need to collect every time, or is it something you build once and carry around in your inventory?

4. How detailed are the camps? Do you have crafting stations, repair stations, cooking fires, etc., or do you have to find them in the wild?

5. Can you set up camps in city areas, or is it only in the wilderness?

6. If camps are permanent structures, can some douchebag come in and break my camp up while I'm logged out, or does my camp log out with me and repopulate when I log back in?

Bonus Question: I normally play SP in most games, simply because my hours are jacked up (I play mostly late at night after wife and kids have gone to bed), but I remember I really enjoyed playing in groups with certain games. Are both viable options? Is the community worth trying to interact, or is it the types of people that would really be out and about after a nuclear war (i.e. assholes)?

***Edited to add some or all of these questions may have been answered in the thread, but I haven't read the whole thing yet.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm I'm really tempted by what I'm seeing here, but I have a few questions regarding camps.

1. Are they permanent structures, a la FO4's cities, or is it a temporary construct?

2. How do you know you didn't build a camp at the exact same place as someone else? For example, say I build a camp in a hidden spot right next to a river, and Billy Joe from Minnesota does, too. The next time we both log in, we're shoveled into the same server. Are our camps parked on top of each other? Or is this a completely baseless fear?

3. If camps are temporary, are there materials you need to collect every time, or is it something you build once and carry around in your inventory?

4. How detailed are the camps? Do you have crafting stations, repair stations, cooking fires, etc., or do you have to find them in the wild?

5. Can you set up camps in city areas, or is it only in the wilderness?

6. If camps are permanent structures, can some douchebag come in and break my camp up while I'm logged out, or does my camp log out with me and repopulate when I log back in?

Bonus Question: I normally play SP in most games, simply because my hours are jacked up (I play mostly late at night after wife and kids have gone to bed), but I remember I really enjoyed playing in groups with certain games. Are both viable options? Is the community worth trying to interact, or is it the types of people that would really be out and about after a nuclear war (i.e. assholes)?
1. Camps are temporary, in the sense that you can relocate your camp at will (there is a small cap price for moving it), and they despawn when you log out.

2. When you log in, the server will attempt to place your camp in the same location that you previously occupied. If that is not possible because another player has a camp there, then your camp will not spawn and all of your stuff is placed in storage.

3. Any camp structure that you have have in storage can be dropped at your camp site without needing to spend additional resources to construct it.

4. You can build pretty much the same range of stuff as in Fallout 4 (structures, defenses, crafting stations, crops, decorations, etc), as long as you've acquired the prerequiste plan for the item. You start out with a basic selection of plans, and acquire more through mission rewards, finding them in the world or buying them from vendors.

5. There are exclusion zones around points of interest (such as towns) and other players' camps.

6. All the structures in your camp can be damaged, but only while you're logged into the server.

I've been playing solo and enjoying it. It's pretty much like playing Fallout 4 in survival mode (with combat damage dialled back to normal levels), but with no live NPCs. There is a main quest line (that feels a lot like an extended tutorial that leads you into various game mechanics and establishes the world lore) and lots of side quests. I've run into the odd random encounter that forced me to cut and run or die, but so far all of the actual missions can be handled solo. Some of the recurring events and dailies are more geared to co-op multiplayer, so they can be challenging to pull off solo, at least while you're lower level and have limited DPS output.

I've read about some cool community-building going on, but haven't seen anything first hand yet (which is not surprising, given that I've pretty much ignored other players other than to play the role of The Mysterious Stranger by jumping in and lending a hand in fights or events when the opportunity arises).

Fallout 76 players are helping newbies by acting like NPCs
When Fallout 76 was announced, fans of the open-world role-playing series worried that making the traditionally solitary franchise into a multiplayer game would ruin the experience somehow. Wouldn’t griefers be inevitable? Do you really want random jerks doing strange things in your game? Now that Fallout 76 is out, however, the most common player behavior seems to prove that Bethesda knew exactly what it was doing. People are actually being nice.

Perhaps the most high-profile documentation comes from veteran Fallout player Many A True Nerd, a YouTuber who has made a name for himself by doing things like beating the games without ever healing himself. In Fallout 76, he’s picked up a new schtick: welcoming new players. The game officially launched last night, but before that, there was a beta that allowed players to carry their progress into the main game. So by the time Fallout 76 went online, Many A True Nerd was already well-leveled and stocked. Players leaving the vault for the first time, on the other hand, barely have anything to their name. So Many A True Nerd decided to build a camp specifically for newbies.

You have all of the basic necessities there: a purified water pump, a cooking station, and various workbenches to craft supplies. This, on its own, isn’t difficult to find in the overworld or even make yourself, but Many A True Nerd went further than that: anyone who walks by his camp gets offered free bespoke weapons, armor, and even free ammo. It’s wonderful.

Many A True Nerd is not alone in this sort of generosity. Last night, I was going around offering free beers to players around me. Other Fallout veterans, like Reddit user omnipsycho, are welcoming new players by building communities where people can meet and group up.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm I'm really tempted by what I'm seeing here, but I have a few questions regarding camps.

Right after you create your character you are given a C.A.M.P. device that you can place almost anywhere in the world. That acts as an anchor for anything you build in your camp. You can build up to a budget limit in a radius around the camp and whenever you are online your camp will be as well. For a very small cap fee, you can relocate your camp at will. Warning though: if the terrain at your new camp location is different enough from the previous location, and the game can't figure out a way to place some items, it will scrap them and you'll only get back half the materials.

That's not too big a deal on the whole, but be cautious moving your camp early on as you are given enough starting resources to build a number of crafting tables, but it can take time to re-collect the resources you need for those if you lose those starting resources.
Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm 2. How do you know you didn't build a camp at the exact same place as someone else? For example, say I build a camp in a hidden spot right next to a river, and Billy Joe from Minnesota does, too. The next time we both log in, we're shoveled into the same server. Are our camps parked on top of each other? Or is this a completely baseless fear?
It's a BIIIIIG map, and the chances of being in the exact same spot as one of the other 20 people on your server is pretty remote. That said, I did hear some reports of issues when that did happen, but from what I understand now when you log into a server, part of the process is finding a server where your camp spot is clear.
Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm 3. If camps are temporary, are there materials you need to collect every time, or is it something you build once and carry around in your inventory?
Basically the latter. It is locked into the spot you placed it in, but it's only there when you are online, and it can be moved very cheaply. The resources needed for the basic camp structures are very common.
Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm 4. How detailed are the camps? Do you have crafting stations, repair stations, cooking fires, etc., or do you have to find them in the wild?
It's very similar to the settlement building in FO4. You can build floors, walls, roofs, stairs, crafting tables, cook fires, defensive turrets, etc. There is a budget bar that works similar to how the limit bar worked in FO4 with each item added to your camp raising the bar slightly. I was able to build a roughly 5x5 building with stairs leading to the roof, all the crafting stations, and some crops and decorations and come barely within budget.

You start with all the basic building items you might need, and there are plans you can find during exploration for new items to build.
Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm 5. Can you set up camps in city areas, or is it only in the wilderness?
I think there are some areas that are blocked off around specific points, but I've come across camps built into abandoned urban areas.
Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm 6. If camps are permanent structures, can some douchebag come in and break my camp up while I'm logged out, or does my camp log out with me and repopulate when I log back in?
Your camp disappears when you log out. Items can be destroyed by other players while you are online, but it is very cheap to repair damaged items. As I understand it, it's more a feature to make sure you can't accidentally get trapped in someone else's camp than a means of PVP combat.
Hyena wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm Bonus Question: I normally play SP in most games, simply because my hours are jacked up (I play mostly late at night after wife and kids have gone to bed), but I remember I really enjoyed playing in groups with certain games. Are both viable options? Is the community worth trying to interact, or is it the types of people that would really be out and about after a nuclear war (i.e. assholes)?

***Edited to add some or all of these questions may have been answered in the thread, but I haven't read the whole thing yet.
Yup, both are very viable. I've played mostly solo so far, and haven't had any problems. Judging from the other players I've seen on the map, I'd guess it's about 50-50 between people grouping and playing solo. Thus far the players I've come across have been exceedingly kind. I mentioned above, but not only have I never been killed by another player, but I was rescued once by players who happened to be running by when I was knocked down.

I suspect the some of the mediocre reviews have been keeping some of the usual trolls away, but I also suspect the fanbase of the Fallout games tends toward people who are used to playing solo and aren't playing with the intention of ruining others days.

If you ever do run into someone who is repeatedly harassing you, you can always logout and log back in to be assigned to another server.

Hope that helps!
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:15 am
jaskerr wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm
Added you, I'm KBear33
coopasonic here. I sent you both requests.
Peldorian in game
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Thanks to both of you for the replies! Very informative, and probably just tipped the scale for me to get the game tonight or tomorrow. I'll post my name when I log in, hope to see you guys in the apocalypse!
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
morlac

Post by morlac »

Yep, sold me as well.

In as Grimlag. downloading now.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just realized when I was playing tonight that the only reason my camp budget was maxed out was that I placed a bunch of turrets, and apparently they have a big budget upkeep. Wood walls are pretty cheap in terms of budget, so without the turrets, I'd probably be able to build a much, much bigger house.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I got the one hour explorer tag and I hadn't even made it to the overseers first little camp. 1.5 hours in and I'm ready to leave the camp fully armored (with a couple mods) and 3 different guns. I'm almost at level 3. Ive killed radiated beavers, skinless squirrels and some ghouls. I think I'm hooked already.