Anyone play Go?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Moliere

Anyone play Go?

Post by Moliere »

After watching the documentary on Netflix I was motivated to try and learn how to play this game.

Apparently my skill in Othello doesn't help here. :oops:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Lordnine

Re: Anyone play Go?

Post by Lordnine »

I tried playing a couple games of it after watching that documentary as well. Apparently I am both awful and too impatient to properly play it. I lost every game. :oops:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Several years ago I bought a book to teach me how to play called Teach Yourself Go, by Charels Matthews.
I think I paid $10 for it, but it's currently listed for $1.90 on amazon.

Don't really know how it compares with other instruction books, but it was good enough to get me started with some basic strategies. I still don't understand exactly how the game ends or how to score it though.
For a bit I played online against an AI and human opponents (don't remember the name of the website), but I didn't enjoy playing on the computer so I bought myself some stones and a board.
I wasn't happy with the board though, I didn't think the quality was very good for what I had paid for it ($120-150ish) so I immediately returned it.

So, I've got stones, no board and a general idea of how to play.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have a board and stones and at one point had a general idea but it never stuck. I'm ok sticking with chess (and a couple dozen other board games I know and enjoy).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter