Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: NFL 2018 Week 11

Post by Isgrimnur »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 am Clearly we are living in a simulation.
This is what happens when you don't initialize your variables.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:22 pm

EDIT: What are the odds?

Well, if you figure that pro football is only played 20 some weeks of the year (counting playoff), that a final score of 23-21 is statistically on the more common side (than, say, 19-8) and that there are only 50 yards that the injurry could have happened on, the odds are probably not as long as some people think. It's still eerie but not like lottery winning rare or anything.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

54 times

Enlarge Image
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And a 3/7 chance that the same day is a football day. Theismann was on MNF, after all.

And let's say a 1/10 chance that we're near one of the 40-yard lines.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It's spooky.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The Redskins sign Mr. Buttfumble himself, Mark Sanchez, to backup Colt McCoy for the rest of the season.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Sanchise!
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

His friends call him Mr. Dirty.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:16 pm His friends call him Mr. Dirty.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tonight's game will be last team with the ball wins. Someone is gonna hit 60 pts too.
Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 am Tonight's game will be last team with the ball wins. Someone is gonna hit 60 pts too.
Wrong on both counts. (well, kinda)

However..... My oh My - that was a GAME!

Never before in NFL History has a team scored over 50 points and still lost the game.

Damn.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 am Tonight's game will be last team with the ball wins. Someone is gonna hit 60 pts too.
I knew without looking that this was going to be a KC game.

And in Texas Tech parlance, it's "First one to 70, wins.'
noxiousdog

Re: NFL 2018 Week 12

Post by noxiousdog »

I can't decide if I like arena football or not.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am I can't decide if I like arena football or not.
It's funny, because we're in the offensive explosion across levels of football, and my two teams (University of Michigan and Chicago Bears) are having success by being defensive minded. Growing up a Bears fan, I've always loved defense (Did you know the '85 Bears defense is the best ever? A lot of my fellow Chicagoans have failed to make that well known.), and the best season of my Michigan fandom came in 1997 - the year Charles Woodson won the Heisman as a predominantly defense player. I still enjoy a great defensive game.

That said, if my teams were offensive juggernauts, I might change my tune.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:52 am
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:42 am I can't decide if I like arena football or not.
It's funny, because we're in the offensive explosion across levels of football, and my two teams (University of Michigan and Chicago Bears) are having success by being defensive minded. Growing up a Bears fan, I've always loved defense (Did you know the '85 Bears defense is the best ever? A lot of my fellow Chicagoans have failed to make that well known.), and the best season of my Michigan fandom came in 1997 - the year Charles Woodson won the Heisman as a predominantly defense player. I still enjoy a great defensive game.

That said, if my teams were offensive juggernauts, I might change my tune.
For my team bad defense frustrates me WAY more than bad offense. But I've adopted KC as a second team, and it's really fun watching Mahomes. I don't get nearly as mad about their bad defense as Texans bad defense.

I think it might get old though the same way nobody watches the NBA until the last 5 minutes.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

But both teams lost two fumbles by their QB and both teams scored on those fumbles. The first INT by KC in the fourth quarter was caused because the QB was hit. So even though we don't think of defense as offense, in this game it absolutely was. Without those defensive plays, the Rams don't win.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:29 pm But both teams lost two fumbles by their QB and both teams scored on those fumbles. The first INT by KC in the fourth quarter was caused because the QB was hit. So even though we don't think of defense as offense, in this game it absolutely was. Without those defensive plays, the Rams don't win.
Are you arguing that there was a significant amount of defense because there were 6 turnovers?
Black Lives Matter

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

There may have been some individually good defensive plays, but it was obviously dominated by both offenses. Someone who prefers defense first would not be swayed into thinking this was a good game because the defenses didn't suck for a few plays.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

There was good defensive line play for both teams, but their secondaries were abysmal. The Chiefs' DBs were so bad that the Rams barely even bothered to run the ball despite having a top 3 RB.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:13 pm There was good defensive line play for both teams, but their secondaries were abysmal. The Chiefs' DBs were so bad that the Rams barely even bothered to run the ball despite having a top 3 RB.
They barely used Guerley at all. He had his worst statistical game of the season.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say the reason the owners have passed rules to the detriment of the league's defenses is so that games like this, 'exciting' games, are the result. This will rekindle fan interest and counter the negative PR effects of protesting and concussions, and whatever else.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't think that's a conspiracy theory. I don't think anyone denies that they've tweaked the rules to increase offense.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:13 pm There was good defensive line play for both teams, but their secondaries were abysmal. The Chiefs' DBs were so bad that the Rams barely even bothered to run the ball despite having a top 3 RB.
Yeah. There is more to defense than defensive backs. There were also five sacks by KC and 3 sacks by the Rams. As we all know when one part of the defense breaks down, the offense scores, but that still doesn't mean there was no defense.

I think defense is oversimplified too often, so thus my thoughts on the subject.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:56 pm I don't think that's a conspiracy theory. I don't think anyone denies that they've tweaked the rules to increase offense.
But one could say they've tweaked the rules so QB's don't get injured so much, which then increases the offense. Same with wide receivers, you can't hit them helmet to helmet, nor can you hit them when they are 'defenseless'. So those rules alone will create more offense. Are they made to increase offense? Maybe so, but they were clearly made to cut down on injuries, particularly serious ones.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:18 pm
Yeah. There is more to defense than defensive backs. There were also five sacks by KC and 3 sacks by the Rams. As we all know when one part of the defense breaks down, the offense scores, but that still doesn't mean there was no defense.

I think defense is oversimplified too often, so thus my thoughts on the subject.
Of course there is defense on every play. You never see two offenses on the field for the same play. The question is whether it is effective defense. The outcome of two teams scoring 50+ points states unequivocally that no effective defense was played in that game.

It will be interesting to see what happens when these offenses meet a top 3 defense. Both will do so week 14: Rams vs. Bears and Chiefs vs. Ravens. If either of those offenses struggle, then I wouldn't go all-in on SB tickets just yet.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:49 pm If I was a conspiracy theorist I'd say the reason the owners have passed rules to the detriment of the league's defenses is so that games like this, 'exciting' games, are the result. This will rekindle fan interest and counter the negative PR effects of protesting and concussions, and whatever else.
I still remember the last matchup like this - 1990, 10-1 49ers vs 10-1 Giants.

Final Score: 7-3, in one of the most amazing games I've ever seen.
Nearly three decades later, former 49ers inside linebacker Matt Millen, now 60, still gets fired up discussing that evening’s opponent.

“They were going to try to be the tough-guy Giants and bring that New York crap around,” Millen said. “It was like, give me a break. I grew up with this. I’ll freakin’ kill you.”

Said former 49ers tight end Brent Jones, pondering what would happen if safety Ronnie Lott’s performance from that night was transferred to a 2018 game: “I mean, Ronnie would be banned from the NFL for life.”

The sport is now different. But the differences between that 1990 slugfest and Monday night’s meeting between the same teams at Levi’s Stadium go beyond the NFL’s toned-down violence...

...The game included 461 yards, more punts (16) than points and no scoring in the final 31 minutes. Jerry Rice had one catch. Joe Montana had his lowest passing total (152 yards) for a full game in five years, but he did provide the lone touchdown on a 23-yard pass to John Taylor in the second quarter.

Late in the game, as the 49ers’ Barry Helton readied for his ninth kick, Michaels announced it would be the game’s 16th punt.

Cracked Dierdorf: “Oh, goody.”

But the participants had an immediate appreciation for a game that included five starters who are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, a Hall of Fame coach (New York’s Bill Parcells) and Giants defensive coordinator Bill Belichick, who has won an NFL-record five Super Bowls. The contest was clean — one turnover and eight penalties — but violent, even by that day’s standards.

A member of the 49ers’ stalled-out offense, tackle Bubba Paris, called it “the best football I’ve seen in my nine years in the National Football League.” Offered Giants defensive end Leonard Marshall: “It was the Super Bowl, in my mind.”
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I realize there were big defensive plays in the KC/Rams game, but...

They came off passing plays. If you look at the stats you'll notice ALL fumbles lost came from the quarterbacks. I point to fumbles since of course interceptions can only happen on passing plays, which means interceptions don't really say much about the defensive level of play. If this football game had real defense being played does it make sense that no running back, no receiver, lost a fumble? Not only that, but each quarterback lost MULTIPLE fumbles!

In the NFL when something works lots of teams jump on the bandwagon. Remember how the "West Coast offense" became a thing? And the teams trying to copy the '85 Bears defense? I think this game is a vision of the future of the NFL.

I started watching football when Super Bowls could end 14-7. I realize not everyone likes that, but I don't think basketball level scores make the game better.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:25 pm I started watching football when Super Bowls could end 14-7. I realize not everyone likes that, but I don't think basketball level scores make the game better.
Do you play Fantasy Football? FF is a HUGE business and I bet that has more than a little something to do with it. 14-7 games don't excite the FF crowd, they want to see the stars put him huge numbers.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I used to play FF but haven't in a while. I didn't consider that, I thought of FF as part of the NFL's overall plan to widen the appeal of football. I thought of FF as part of the whole emphasis on memorable Super Bowl commercials, half time shows, and things of that nature.

What I see happening now is different. Widening the appeal of football is unnecessary at this point, it's at the top of the food chain. The NFL does have a problem with fan discontent and player health. Tossing out a bone of "Look, 100 points in a game!" with the promise of more such games to come might be a sneaky way to distract everyone. If either the Rams or KC make it to the Super Bowl I think ratings and therefore revenue will be off the charts because of this game. If both those teams make it and there's a rematch, the NFL will be able to say "Problems? What problems?"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

gameoverman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:25 pm I realize there were big defensive plays in the KC/Rams game, but...

They came off passing plays. If you look at the stats you'll notice ALL fumbles lost came from the quarterbacks. I point to fumbles since of course interceptions can only happen on passing plays, which means interceptions don't really say much about the defensive level of play. If this football game had real defense being played does it make sense that no running back, no receiver, lost a fumble? Not only that, but each quarterback lost MULTIPLE fumbles!

In the NFL when something works lots of teams jump on the bandwagon. Remember how the "West Coast offense" became a thing? And the teams trying to copy the '85 Bears defense? I think this game is a vision of the future of the NFL.

I started watching football when Super Bowls could end 14-7. I realize not everyone likes that, but I don't think basketball level scores make the game better.
I hope not but as they try to make the game safer for the players then it's going to be a lot harder to stop great offensive players. Maybe someday a good defensive coordinator will come up with better defensive schemes that will not depend so much on hard tackling but more on execution and being in the right place. Being in the right place of course requires the coordinator to call the correct plays. It seems to me a lot of times they don't call good defensive plays and the defense gets burned.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ugh.

Trubisky is likely to be out today, vs the Lions.

Damn it!
:grund:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wasn't that a fumble by Daniel right before the fatal pick-6? Was there some call I missed? Didn't have the benefit of sound.

Do I have to call New York for an explanation?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I missed the discussion on the Rams/Chiefs game. I don’t care how you want to characterize it, it was the most entertaining game I’ve ever seen. I love defensive battles too. But that game was ludicrously fun to watch.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm I missed the discussion on the Rams/Chiefs game. I don’t care how you want to characterize it, it was the most entertaining game I’ve ever seen. I love defensive battles too. But that game was ludicrously fun to watch.
Are you sure the Bills lack of offensive production isn't coloring your view?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:04 pm Wasn't that a fumble by Daniel right before the fatal pick-6? Was there some call I missed? Didn't have the benefit of sound.

Do I have to call New York for an explanation?
It was whistled dead, and they didn't pursue it on the field. The announcers also went with it, as the Bears hurried up and made the following punt play.
Just as the punt was about to happen, the announcer's were reviewing the play and just managed to say 'oh wait a minute, that did come out....' - but it was too late. I don't believe it was brought up again.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Hrothgar wrote:Are you sure the Bills lack of offensive production isn't coloring your view?
Yes. If was exciting because the offenses were remarkable. And the defenses scored three touchdowns as well, and generated 7 turnovers. Was it a perfect game? Of course not. But entertaining? Without question. It’s the kind of game the NFL has been dreaming about.
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finally the Chargers dominated somebody, albeit the lowly Cardinals. Rivers ties the record for most completed passes in a row (25).
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:13 pm I missed the discussion on the Rams/Chiefs game. I don’t care how you want to characterize it, it was the most entertaining game I’ve ever seen. I love defensive battles too. But that game was ludicrously fun to watch.
I was down on it, but probably overly so. A game like that is fun to watch - now and again. If every game was (or even a majority of games were) like that, though, it wouldn't be as much fun. I was really overreacting a bit to the commentary (here and elsewhere) about how great of a game it was.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:40 am I was down on it, but probably overly so. A game like that is fun to watch - now and again. If every game was (or even a majority of games were) like that, though, it wouldn't be as much fun. I was really overreacting a bit to the commentary (here and elsewhere) about how great of a game it was.
I get where you are coming from and agree with you. It's why I used "entertaining" rather than "great". :)
Make up bags of change
stessier

Re: NFL 2018 Week 13

Post by stessier »

Kareem Hunt was released by Kansas City and placed on the Commissioner's exempt list after video surfaced of an altercation in February.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles